TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Newest Edition to the backyard

SGT/SC2873

Been looking and thinking for quite some time about trailers. Considered all the pro's and con's of enclosed vs. open, 17'6 vs. 20', axles, brakes, weight and towability. Just tired of trying to borrow when I need something to haul. Usually, I ended up doing all the maintance work that others did not do each time I "borrowed" one. Really like the enclosed, but I don't want to have to buy another truck just to tow so this is what I decided on....... 3110 Featherlite 20' open trailer. Will be picking up in NC this Saturday. And yes, I know....our cars are to be driven but on longer trips I really enjoy the comfort of my truck and ability to pack better for the longer trips.

Been looking and thinking for quite some time about trailers. Considered all the pro's and con's of enclosed vs. open, 17'6 vs. 20', axles, brakes, weight and towability. Just tired of trying to borrow when I need something to haul. Usually, I ended up doing all the maintance work that others did not do each time I "borrowed" one. Really like the enclosed, but I don't want to have to buy another truck just to tow so this is what I decided on....... 3110 Featherlite 20' open trailer. Will be picking up in NC this Saturday. And yes, I know....our cars are to be driven but on longer trips I really enjoy the comfort of my truck and ability to pack better for the longer trips.

Nono, can't go wrong there. A trailer is a trailer. Worse comes to worse you might have to cover the Shelby but nyeh...

I would get a trailer but I don't think that the daily (Toyota Yaris) would pull the Shelby.

Might ahh... might be intersting? :idea:

Nice trailer!!!, I've got a 24ft enclosed and a 20ft open with a beavertail. I have a used car lot with my nephew and we have to haul cars quite a bit so the 20 ft comes in real handy for those trips. I always liked aluminum trailers and our 20ft is getting old, I might make the switch this spring.

Looks nice.

Would there be room to put a deflection cone or bubble up front? How does loading with the low cars work with this model.

Yes, they offer several different options for the trailer and it does have room for the air dam, tool box, etc.....I'll let you know on the loading, but what I found doing research and talking to others, the torsion system on the axles actually allows the angle to reduce when the weight of the car comes onto the ramps. Also, the ramps that come w/ the 20' are 7' ramps vs. 5-6' which is standard on most trailers. I am also concerned about whether the doors will open once car is on the trailer to clear the fender/tires of the trailer since our cars set so low. I had dealer take measurements from the floor to the top of the fenders and the trailer tires since the fenders are removable and it will be close. I'll probably test it out Sunday if weather is nice and let you know how it goes.

Nono, can't go wrong there. A trailer is a trailer. Worse comes to worse you might have to cover the Shelby but nyeh...

I would get a trailer but I don't think that the daily (Toyota Yaris) would pull the Shelby.

Might ahh... might be intersting? :idea:

I don't know....I have seen a lot of smaller cars with trailer hitches over the last year. Makes me wonder what they are going to tow. It will be interesting to see this summer how many "economy" cars will be towing jet skis to the lake....bet the the transmission shops around here are loving it!

Nice trailer!!!, I've got a 24ft enclosed and a 20ft open with a beavertail. I have a used car lot with my nephew and we have to haul cars quite a bit so the 20 ft comes in real handy for those trips. I always liked aluminum trailers and our 20ft is getting old, I might make the switch this spring.

I had originally planned to wait till Spring but found out Featherlite has increased MSRP by 4%. The dealer just got this one in this week and is the last 2010 he will get at the old price. Like you I have had the "steel" trailers in the past too and I just can't stand to see rust. Best trailer I ever had was a Texas Rollback and I am still kicking myself for selling that one. Oh well, live and learn...or do we?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, how does she work?

Harald,

So far I have only pulled the '67 on it. If weather permits this weekend I am going to load the Shelby to see how that does. When pulling the '67 it as like nothing was back there which kind of makes me uneasy since I tend to drive a little bit fast anyway. Will be hooking up the electric brakes this weekend too! I'll post up once I get a chance to see how the loading does w/ the SGT. Craig

I had originally planned to wait till Spring but found out Featherlite has increased MSRP by 4%. The dealer just got this one in this week and is the last 2010 he will get at the old price. $6250 out the door......Like you I have had the "steel" trailers in the past too and I just can't stand to see rust. Best trailer I ever had was a Texas Rollback and I am still kicking myself for selling that one. Oh well, live and learn...or do we?

Thats a good price. I purchased a Continental (Black) 28' enclosed trailer in Dec, a 2010 model for $14K. Mainly to pull the race car...but long trips, I will take the trailer...like Mid America

Harald,

So far I have only pulled the '67 on it. If weather permits this weekend I am going to load the Shelby to see how that does. When pulling the '67 it as like nothing was back there which kind of makes me uneasy since I tend to drive a little bit fast anyway. Will be hooking up the electric brakes this weekend too! I'll post up once I get a chance to see how the loading does w/ the SGT. Craig

Thanks.

finally got some time this afternoon to load the Shelby on the trailer to see how it did. I was pleasantly surprised. I did have to put (2) 2x10's on the ground right at the leading edge of the ramp. This is becuase the end of the ramp incline is steep and the front valance will rub. One I put the 2 boards down I had about an 1.5 inch clearance at the ramp and the rest of the way up was smooth sailing. I took several pictures so you could see. One thing I really like about this trailer is the rear end drops almost 3 - 3.5 inches w/ the weight of the car when going up the ramps. This helps tremendously w/ the angle approach at the mid section of the car and bottom side. The doors on the car will not open w/ the trailer fenders in place, but once removed I had 1 inch clearance to open the driver door. :happy feet: Here are the pics....

post-10682-126558553136_thumb.jpg

post-10682-12655855492_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126558556401_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126558558284_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126558560285_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126558564166_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126558566316_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126558568382_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126558570475_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126558572429_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126558553136_thumb.jpg

post-10682-12655855492_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126558556401_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126558558284_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126558560285_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126558564166_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126558566316_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126558568382_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126558570475_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126558572429_thumb.jpg

finally got some time this afternoon to load the Shelby on the trailer to see how it did. I was pleasantly surprised. I did have to put (2) 2x10's on the ground right at the leading edge of the ramp. This is becuase the end of the ramp incline is steep and the front valance will rub. One I put the 2 boards down I had about an 1.5 inch clearance at the ramp and the rest of the way up was smooth sailing. I took several pictures so you could see. One thing I really like about this trailer is the rear end drops almost 3 - 3.5 inches w/ the weight of the car when going up the ramps. This helps tremendously w/ the angle approach at the mid section of the car and bottom side. The doors on the car will not open w/ the trailer fenders in place, but once removed I had 1 inch clearance to open the driver door. :happy feet: Here are the pics....

Thanks for sharing. I thought with the spaure tire the door would not open. Guess I was incorrect. Very nice.

Archived