TEAM SHELBY FORUM

To TSB, or not to TSB

Jake Auerbach

I'm picking up my new CPO used 2007 GT500 on Feb 1st. I got a buddy at the dealership (in Los Angeles, I'm in NY right now) helping me out with all the stuff. I asked him to pull up matinence records on the car to see if it had the clutch TSB performed on it, he said no. The car has 2500 garaged and pampered miles on it. They said they might be able to perform the TSB before I come pick it up, meaning I would hop in a gt500 with a brand new clutch, flywheel, etc.. My question is do I have them perform the TSB or wait. If I wait it might be a PITA to get it to the shop and have the work done, but I'd get as much mileage as possible out of this flywheel and then put fewer miles on the post-TSB edition... any thoughts?

I'm picking up my new CPO used 2007 GT500 on Feb 1st. I got a buddy at the dealership (in Los Angeles, I'm in NY right now) helping me out with all the stuff. I asked him to pull up matinence records on the car to see if it had the clutch TSB performed on it, he said no. The car has 2500 garaged and pampered miles on it. They said they might be able to perform the TSB before I come pick it up, meaning I would hop in a gt500 with a brand new clutch, flywheel, etc.. My question is do I have them perform the TSB or wait. If I wait it might be a pain in the ass to get it to the shop and have the work done, but I'd get as much mileage as possible out of this flywheel and then put fewer miles on the post-TSB edition... any thoughts?

Jake, get the TSB done, beacause sooner or later you will have to, so it might as well be sooner than later especally if your dealer is offering to do it without a pushback.

Jake, get the TSB done, beacause sooner or later you will have to, so it might as well be sooner than later especally if your dealer is offering to do it without a pushback.

Excellent, makes sense. Although, the thought of no fear clutch dumps for a month or so doesn't sound so bad either... :evil2.0: Just kidding, I'm going to talk to my guy tomorrow and tell them to go ahead with the work. What do you mean by pushback?

Excellent, makes sense. Although, the thought of no fear clutch dumps for a month or so doesn't sound so bad either... :evil2.0: Just kidding, I'm going to talk to my guy tomorrow and tell them to go ahead with the work. What do you mean by pushback?

Some dealers refuse to do the TSB because they are ignorant or they don't wan't to file a warranty claim with Ford, so they pushback on the customer and tell them it's their problem to repair (on their dime).

I would get it done as the Engineer that worked on the new clutch& flywheel told me you will eventually need to have it done . Better now on Fords dime than later on yours. I must admit mine didn`t look all that bad but a again it wasn`t abused. Changed at 3,500. Good Luck.

Several here have not had it done and have zero issues and several have had it done and then redone with regrets. Your call.

Good point. I realize there is a bit of "Forum Effect" in this issue. By Forum Effect I mean that many threads are started and posts posted because of this infamous issue; however, nobody is going to start a new thread "My car is working perfectly!." This makes it appear as thought nearly every GT500 owner has a crap clutch. But, from what I have read, the new system as specified by the TSB is superior to original performance of the flywheel clutch assembly. I don't do much commuting, but I do live in los angeles and getting to the Lakers' game ain't gunna be so easy on the ole' left pedal or my left leg. That said, it would seem to me that having a revised assembly installed, at no cost to me, would be worth taking advantage of.

I work with engineers on a daily basis (structural/electrical and mechanical)........lets just say they're not all bright............I'm just saying.........

To the optimist, the glass is half full.

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

To the optimist, the glass is half full.

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Correct!! 100% They tend to oversize to cover up the errors that show up later...........never undersize or 'just right' because often they are wrong.

However, I do know many that are very bright!! cheers

I work with engineers on a daily basis (structural/electrical and mechanical)........lets just say they're not all bright............I'm just saying.........

I also have & still work with engineers & I know what you are saying believe me . But the person that I`am talking about was an S.V.T employee that worked on solving this problem seem to make alot of sense . Lets hope he & the other SVt engineers were right. I have pictures of at least four T.S.B clutch changes & there were people that drove their car reasonably hard & then there was one that drove the sh-t out of it & his clutch showed a bit more wear but his flywheel showed considerably more heat stress & some warpage.

Do not get the TSB unless your car is truly broken!

Do not bother looking at the symptoms either because if you do, you will convince yourself that you have the symptoms.

What I am saying is, you know when something is not right or broken, if something is not right or broken, then take it in but trust me, do not just go because you THINK you have the symptoms.

good luck

I would get it done as the Engineer that worked on the new clutch& flywheel told me you will eventually need to have it done . Better now on Fords dime than later on yours. I must admit mine didn`t look all that bad but a again it wasn`t abused. Changed at 3,500. Good Luck.

Ya lol or on their dime then your own.

IMO if you are that worried, just put in the 2010 clutch or a good aftermarket one.

I would say its about 1 in 3 have a bad experience with the post TSB poopy they give you.

(only thing that no one knows is, is it dealer install error or part error)

My money is on the part because installing a clutch is pretty freaking easy!

Do not get the TSB unless your car is truly broken!

Do not bother looking at the symptoms either because if you do, you will convince yourself that you have the symptoms.

What I am saying is, you know when something is not right or broken, if something is not right or broken, then take it in but trust me, do not just go because you THINK you have the symptoms.

good luck

the dealer "offering" to do it is not the same as the dealer "actually" doing it...they will have to get validation from ford for the repair or the dealer will pay for the work themselves...and they won't want to do that...

Chuckstang... I think you had some challenges with yours right? so I can understand your apprehension to have it done. Did you ever throw an aftermarket clutch in?

I think what it boils down to is... the TSB is going to need to be done at SOME point, and if he's already getting the offer from the dealership to have it done, at least he's not going to have to worry about the dealership battle (whether or not it's premature). If I was in his shoes and I could have it done out of the gates, I would do it for SURE. :yup:

Whether or not he has issues post-TSB has yet to be seen. Either he deals with that (IF it happens) when he's still under warranty, or when it comes out of his own pocket.

Ya lol or on their dime then your own.

IMO if you are that worried, just put in the 2010 clutch or a good aftermarket one.

I would say its about 1 in 3 have a bad experience with the post TSB shit they give you.

(only thing that no one knows is, is it dealer install error or part error)

My money is on the part because installing a clutch is pretty freaking easy!

After reading everything it seems to me there are three possible outcomes:

1) I have them perform the replacement per TSB. If it craps out, I have them try again.

2) Do nothing until I experience the expected problems, perform replacement per TSB.

3) Do nothing, car seems fine. All along though, I will know that the clutch assembly and flywheel are poorly designed for DD use by Ford's admission and the experiences of others.

Option one seems like the most likely route as of now.

Options two and three are like what is going on with Domino's right now. I am a hardworking college student and used to eat Domino's A LOT. That said, Domino's releasing commercials telling me "our old pizza sucked," does not make me want to eat their old pizza again. In fact, it would seem as though Domino's knew for some time their pizza tasted like floor a truck stop, yet did nothing about it. That does not make we want to eat pizza from Domino's again, no matter how many herbs they put in the sauce.

That said, Ford right now is offering me the new pizza. They are telling me, "our old one was not that great... it was rusty and didn't dissipate heat properly... this is improved. Try it, on the house!" Wouldn't I be silly to say, "nah, I'll stick with the old one."

Chances are I'm going to end up not liking the old one and ask for their original offer--that is hopefully still on the table.

It is not a matter of being worried, worried is the morning after when she says she really wants a baby boy. It just seems like a matter of convenience yeah?

well from one young buck to another, the TSB actually cost me money becuase I no longer have my original working pre tsb clutch. I have not installed the Spec one yet, but will this spring, should cost me with labor about $2k out of my pocket.

I noticed you mentioned have them do it and possibly do it again. Good luck with that.

All 3 of your options are a roll of the dice but IMO the best advice. If it aint broke dont fix it.

There is no right answer, there is risk to each one.

Tough call because even though my car did drive great, it did not pass some of the TSB tests ran by me and the tech, but the car drove great. Now post tsb, it passes all tests but drives like crap, I mean real bad.

confused yet

buy a z06 LOL

After reading everything it seems to me there are three possible outcomes:

1) I have them perform the replacement per TSB. If it craps out, I have them try again.

2) Do nothing until I experience the expected problems, perform replacement per TSB.

3) Do nothing, car seems fine. All along though, I will know that the clutch assembly and flywheel are poorly designed for DD use by Ford's admission and the experiences of others.

Option one seems like the most likely route as of now.

Options two and three are like what is going on with Domino's right now. I am a hardworking college student and used to eat Domino's A LOT. That said, Domino's releasing commercials telling me "our old pizza sucked," does not make me want to eat their old pizza again. In fact, it would seem as though Domino's knew for some time their pizza tasted like floor a truck stop, yet did nothing about it. That does not make we want to eat pizza from Domino's again, no matter how many herbs they put in the sauce.

That said, Ford right now is offering me the new pizza. They are telling me, "our old one was not that great... it was rusty and didn't dissipate heat properly... this is improved. Try it, on the house!" Wouldn't I be silly to say, "nah, I'll stick with the old one."

Chances are I'm going to end up not liking the old one and ask for their original offer--that is hopefully still on the table.

It is not a matter of being worried, worried is the morning after when she says she really wants a baby boy. It just seems like a matter of convenience yeah?

Oh MAN.... man you've got it like I can't re-explain!!! :hysterical:

Seriously, LMFAO, but you've got the idea! :yup:

IMHO, of course; others will tell you different. Great analogy, I enjoyed that!

well from one young buck to another, the TSB actually cost me money becuase I no longer have my original working pre tsb clutch. I have not installed the Spec one yet, but will this spring, should cost me with labor about $2k out of my pocket.

I noticed you mentioned have them do it and possibly do it again. Good luck with that.

All 3 of your options are a roll of the dice but IMO the best advice. If it aint broke dont fix it.

Tough call because even though my car did drive great, it did not pass some of the TSB tests ran by me and the tech, but the car drove great. Now post tsb, it passes all tests but drives like crap, I mean real bad.

confused yet

buy a z06 LOL

IF he has to do it again... he's still one ahead having it done under warranty in the first place.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" sure, but it's a decent fact that it will go...

If a baby is going to... well, "go", you might as well put a diaper on.

Jake, let me know if you have any issue with the TSB or the dealer.

Just PM me here if needed.

confused yet

buy a z06 LOL

Very good point, especially the one about the one about the z06 (if there were two more seats and fewer bow ties it might be a tough decision).

Fortunately I am getting a little bit of a hookup on this ride. They are going to throw in a 5 yr/75k mile bumper to bumper warranty on top of the 6 yr / 100,000 mile warranty that comes with the car being CPO.

With this in mind, I'm sure any "normal use" issues would be no biggie

@son of gt, thanks, will keep all you guys posted.

FWIW I just put in the TSB clutch and flywheel simply because I didn't want to keep driving the car and "waiting" for something to happen.

My mind is now at ease and no one had to tear into my transmission.

I am 100 percent happy with my decision.

Although, I have a 07 that was one of the last 07s made that year, do you all think the teflon lube was applied to the splines

later on in the 07 line ?. My car was built at the tail end of the 07 line...Documents state June 07 was the builfd date.

From what I can gather, its more than teflon lube. Seems as though clutch plate and disc, as well as the flywheel

is replaced during the TSB.

I do get a bit of chatter when releasing the clutch pedal. With only 2800 mi on the ticker, I hate to see all this

stuff unbolted.....ya know...there are mechanics and then there are Mechanics.

Should I take the time to do this ? Ultimate question.

IS

Archived