TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tires, tires, tires

A HUGE benefit to this car will be proper tires. I am convinced Goodyear is incapable of making a high performance street tire. PLEASE do not put Goodyear F1 "Supercar" tires on this car. They are awful and have terrible performance to other brands. They are the reason GT500's do so bad in magazine tests due to wheelspin. The GT350 should have Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's. These come on the Corvette ZR-1, Cadillac CTS-V, and Porsche 911 Turbo to name a few, and for good reason. Shelby should test this tire back to back with anything Goodyear makes and they will be shocked. I don't believe in these "super special" compounds Goodyear makes for specific cars. I have never seen a good one.

A HUGE benefit to this car will be proper tires. I am convinced Goodyear is incapable of making a high performance street tire. PLEASE do not put Goodyear F1 "Supercar" tires on this car. They are awful and have terrible performance to other brands. They are the reason GT500's do so bad in magazine tests due to wheelspin. The GT350 should have Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's. These come on the Corvette ZR-1, Cadillac CTS-V, and Porsche 911 Turbo to name a few, and for good reason. Shelby should test this tire back to back with anything Goodyear makes and they will be shocked. I don't believe in these "super special" compounds Goodyear makes for specific cars. I have never seen a good one.

Agreed, tires are such an important part of the equation. They don't call the stock tires on the GT500 Super Slows for nothing! The Hankook V12 is also a good option.

+1

Though I would take thePS2s or the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions as well.

Guys, I have to respectfully disagree with you. I have had only good results with the F-1's. Granted, where I live, we have relatively high temperatures at which the tires are running and that helps traction. The only time I have felt the F-1's wanting is on a cold track. I have a lot to learn about driving my car on the track but I do know that it is seldom the tires that are the limiting factor to lowering lap times. I have nothing bad to say about any of the other tires you all are considering and I do endorse getting what you want for your car. Driver confidence is a huge part of performance driving and if something other than F-1's stick better for you, go for it and enjoy. My two cents.

Jim

I recently did a thread asking if anyone used these. How are they working out for you?

I haven't personally used them. I've just done a lot of research and they stack up well against the PS2. When it's time for me to replace my Goodyear tires I'm most likely going to get the V12.

Guys, I have to respectfully disagree with you. I have had only good results with the F-1's. Granted, where I live, we have relatively high temperatures at which the tires are running and that helps traction. The only time I have felt the F-1's wanting is on a cold track. I have a lot to learn about driving my car on the track but I do know that it is seldom the tires that are the limiting factor to lowering lap times. I have nothing bad to say about any of the other tires you all are considering and I do endorse getting what you want for your car. Driver confidence is a huge part of performance driving and if something other than F-1's stick better for you, go for it and enjoy. My two cents.

Jim

I think they are speaking from more of a drag racing/street use perspective.

Archived