TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Buy American!

I encourage each and everyone of you to BUY AMERICAN wherever and whenever you can..........I got this in an email today and wanted to share it with ALL of you........

One Light Bulb at a Time

A physics teacher in high school, once told the

students that while one grasshopper on the railroad tracks wouldn't

slow a train very much, a billion of them would. With that thought

in mind, read the following, obviously written by a good American ...

Good idea .. . . one light bulb at a time . .. . .

Check this out . I can verify this because I was in Lowes the other day for

some reason and just for the heck of it I was looking at the hose

attachments . They were all made in China . The next day I was in Ace

Hardware and just for the heck of it I checked the hose

attachments there. They were made in USA . Start looking ..

In our current economic situation, every little thing we buy or do affects

someone else - even their job . So, after reading this email, I think this

lady is on the right track . Let's get behind her!

My grandson likes Hershey's candy . I noticed, though, that it is marked

made in Mexico now. I do not buy it any more.

My favorite toothpaste Colgate is made in Mexico ... now

I have switched to Crest. You have to read the labels on everything ...

This past weekend I was at Kroger. I needed 60 W light bulbs and Bounce dryer sheets . I was

in the light bulb aisle, and right next to the GE brand I normally buy was an off-brand

labeled, "Everyday Value . " I picked up both types of bulbs and compared the stats -

they were the same except for the price ..

The GE bulbs were more money than the Everyday Value brand but the

thing that surprised me the most was the fact that GE was made in MEXICO

and the Everyday Value brand was made in - get ready for this - the USA in

a company in Cleveland , Ohio .

So throw out the myth that you cannot find products you use every day that

are made right here ..

So on to another aisle - Bounce Dryer Sheets . ... . yep, you guessed it,

Bounce cost more money and is made in Canada . The Everyday Value

brand was less money and MADE IN THE USA ! I did laundry yesterday

and the dryer sheets performed just like the Bounce Free I have been using

for years and at almost half the price!

My challenge to you is to start reading the labels when you shop for

everyday things and see what you can find that is made in the USA - the

job you save may be your own or your neighbors!

If you accept the challenge, pass this on to others in your address book so

we can all start buying American, one light bulb at a time! Stop buying

from overseas companies!

(We should have awakened a decade ago .. . .. . . . )

Let's get with the program . . . .. help our fellow Americans keep their jobs and create more jobs here in the U . S . A ..

I Passed this on ........ will you ???????

We always buy the American product over any foreign one if we have a choice. Sometimes it is confusing as some of our most trusted brands have sold out the American worker and are now produced elsewhere :nonono:

I just bought a 2010 Ford Fusion Sport as my daily driver, unfortunately it was built in Hermasillo, Mexico......so do I get half credit for trying?....

"Globalization" sure muddies the water....

I would say full credit.

You bought your car from an American dealer and will have repairs done by an American shop.

Yes it was made in Mexico, but so are a lot of the gt500 parts. Some of the parts for the gt500 also are made in Canada. The new 5.0 mustang motor is made in Windsor.

You can't just look at where it is manufactured but also where did the raw materials come from. The sill and dash plaque sold by Shelby made in the USA partly; the blank aluminum slugs came from China. I seem to recall a posting a while back said the Shelby Alcoa "Made in China". I bought Steeda Parts because of quality and Made in the USA. I only hope the raw aluminum came from Alcan and not from Beer cans recycled in China.

In today's world your neighbors are north of the 49th and south of the Rio Grand. Lets Work to buy North American from out of the ground to final product. Just MHO

Glen

Michael - good thought - but getting harder and harder to accomplish.

I'm a Buy American guy - but I understand those with growing families who have to budget. And that means Wal-Mart. Whether we like it or not, globalization isn't going away. IMHO - it's going to get worse. Americans have had a standard of living far above most other countries. We can't maintain that today or tomorrow with our current pay scales.

What American needs to do is manufacture goods that no one else can - and right now, that seems to be mostly weapons and food (as well as we can).

Perhaps we can lead the way with energy alternatives - or fuels - or some other new technology. Meantime - we can't stop the imports.

It's something that I whole heartedly believe in, practice it whenever possible, and I state it in my signature below.

All well and good. How about a list of products made in America we can buy?

Okay, fair enough. Here's a start....

http://www.americansworking.com/ and/or http://www.madeinusa.org/

Additionally, I have a book that was last published in 1989 called "Well made in America, lessons from Harley Davidson on being the best" and while the book is quite old now, it is still a decent source of American made products, and is still available to purchase through Amazon.

Okay, fair enough. Here's a start....

http://www.americansworking.com/ and/or http://www.madeinusa.org/

Additionally, I have a book that was last published in 1989 called "Well made in America, lessons from Harley Davidson on being the best" and while the book is quite old now, it is still a decent source of American made products, and is still available to purchase through Amazon.

Good find. Perhaps more of us would buy American if we knew where to do so. I get angry every time I go to Lowe's or Wal-Mart - I can't find linens - shoes - tools - or electronics made here. Frustrating.

I acknowledge the increasing difficulty one experiences trying to accomplish this in current times, I only ask that we all make an increased effort to search out American made products. Now more than ever our fragile economy counts on us all to help turn this around.............the only reason cheaper overseas manufacturing succeeds is because we accept the inferior quality and sales numbers arent largely affected. STOP buying any and all foreign made products now and send the only message that these companies understand,........the bottom line.

Possibly we can start a thread here to share the American products we find and where they can be purchased. This way we can spread the word and maximize the impact of finding American products that can take the place of foreign ones we have become accustom to using.

Just a thought............

Great idea Wick...It's just 30 years to late IMO. :shrug:

I agree, Keith.

How many Americans can afford to buy "American" products? I think few. Not many people I know have a choice. They need to spend as little as they can. The flood gates are open. Time to re-think what we produce in this country.

This is a good reminder that we should by Made in USA.

Problem is that such products are so hard to find.

One thing we definitely need to think of as citizens is think about our children and country and make decisions that benefit them and our future generations with respect to keeping jobs, production and innovation right here in the USA where it belongs.

Think about that the next time you call Support and some fellow in India is assisting you.

I agree, Keith.

How many Americans can afford to buy "American" products? I think few. Not many people I know have a choice. They need to spend as little as they can. The flood gates are open. Time to re-think what we produce in this country.

Nice choice of car...made in the USA!!!! Right on!

I just bought a 2010 Ford Fusion Sport as my daily driver, unfortunately it was built in Hermasillo, Mexico......so do I get half credit for trying?....

"Globalization" sure muddies the water....

I think you do supporting a US company supports the stock price and our economy...

let no man talk to me of other expedients . . . of using neither clothes, nor household furniture, except what is of our own growth and manufacture: of utterly rejecting the materials and instruments that promote foreign luxury: of curing the expensiveness of pride, vanity, idleness. . . of introducing a vein of parsimony, prudence and temperance: of learning to love our country. . . of quitting our animosities, and factions. . . of being a little cautious not to sell our country and consciences for nothing: of teaching our landlords to have at least one degree of mercy towards their tenants. Lastly, of putting a spirit of honesty, industry, and skill into our shop-keepers, who, if a resolution could now be taken to buy only our native goods, would immediately unite to cheat and exact upon us in the price, the measure and the goodness, nor could ever yet be brought to make one fair proposal of just dealing, though often and earnestly invited to it.

From A Modest Proposal

by Jonathan Swift:1729

Still rings true!

let no man talk to me of other expedients . . . of using neither clothes, nor household furniture, except what is of our own growth and manufacture: of utterly rejecting the materials and instruments that promote foreign luxury: of curing the expensiveness of pride, vanity, idleness. . . of introducing a vein of parsimony, prudence and temperance: of learning to love our country. . . of quitting our animosities, and factions. . . of being a little cautious not to sell our country and consciences for nothing: of teaching our landlords to have at least one degree of mercy towards their tenants. Lastly, of putting a spirit of honesty, industry, and skill into our shop-keepers, who, if a resolution could now be taken to buy only our native goods, would immediately unite to cheat and exact upon us in the price, the measure and the goodness, nor could ever yet be brought to make one fair proposal of just dealing, though often and earnestly invited to it.

From A Modest Proposal

by Jonathan Swift:1729

Still rings true!

Hey, Prof! Would you like to enlighten our fellow posters about the rest of his "Proposal"? :drool :hysterical:

I agree, Keith.

Frankly its just this loser attitude that "all is lost" and "what good will it do" that perpetuates the problem.

I guess we should not have built the PANAMA CANAL cause so many died in the first years they tried

or maybe...

we shouldnt have fought the Revolutionary War....cause what the heck, do you really expect a bunch of village militia

to repell the British Army......

so do me a favor and take the defeatest attitude somewhere else and step aside for those for are still trying to make a difference....

this is our country.....your country,.....someone else wont fix it........

so all those that say, "its no use" and wont help can stand on the sidelines and watch the rest of us do all the heavy lifting ...

AS USUAL!

rant over....carry on...................

Archived