TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TR6060

My car is in the shop getting some work done now and I have about talked myself into a 6060, in fact I'm supposed cut a check for the parts today. Any opinions or first hand knowledge on weather or not it's worth the cash would be appreciated.

I do not have personal experience with what you propose but one point that I have heard that would lead you away from mating that transmission with an SGT is that both 5th and 6th gears are overdrive ratios. Assuming you would be using the ratios found in the GT500, those ratios are :

1st: 2.97

2nd: 1.78

3rd: 1.30

4th: 1.00

5th: 0.80

6th: 0.63

The only thing that would lead you in the direction of this transmission is its ability to withstand the torque you are putting out. The 6060 is rated for 600 ft·lbs of torque -- just a shade above what you are putting out. Up to you, but I would shy away from the purchase. I just do not see what you would pick up. My two cents.

Jim

I do not have personal experience with what you propose but one point that I have heard that would lead you away from mating that transmission with an SGT is that both 5th and 6th gears are overdrive ratios. Assuming you would be using the ratios found in the GT500, those ratios are :

1st: 2.97

2nd: 1.78

3rd: 1.30

4th: 1.00

5th: 0.80

6th: 0.63

The only thing that would lead you in the direction of this transmission is its ability to withstand the torque you are putting out. The 6060 is rated for 600 ft·lbs of torque -- just a shade above what you are putting out. Up to you, but I would shy away from the purchase. I just do not see what you would pick up. My two cents.

Jim

The torque rating is one of the main reasons for the swap along with the problems I'm starting to have with the 3650, ( extremely notchy,popping out of gear at the slightest touch of the shifter, locking me out of 3rd gear etc...) I know that some of these problems might be cured by a new shifter but I'm getting a strong feeling by driving my car that my trans days are numbered and I see no reason to upgrade it at all considering the gains vs cost.

I'm aware of the 6060 ratios and have talked to several people on other forums and each one say's that it is or one of the best mods they have done. Thanks for your imformative reply and insight on the subject.

The torque rating is one of the main reasons for the swap along with the problems I'm starting to have with the 3650, ( extremely notchy,popping out of gear at the slighest touch of the shifter, locking me out of 3rd gear etc...) I know that some of these problems might be cured by a new shifter but I'm getting a strong feeling by driving my car that my trans days are numbered and I see no reason to upgrade it at all considering the gains vs cost.

I'm aware of the 6060 ratios and have talked to several people on other forums and each one say's that it is or one of the best mods they have done. Thanks for your imformative reply and insight on the subject.

you need to have the TSB done on the 3650. mine had the same problem, after Tasca did the TSB it's better then new

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43373-tsbs-of-interest/

you need to have the TSB done on the 3650. mine had the same problem, after Tasca did the TSB it's better then new

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43373-tsbs-of-interest/

You might have seen this already,

T56 Magnum S197 6 speed trasmission, specifically designed for the S197 Mustang - Long Tail housing does away with the remote shifter . Supposed to be out this summer.

http://s197.com/forum/showthread.php?p=406041#post406041

My car is in the shop getting some work done now and I have about talked myself into a 6060, in fact I'm supposed cut a check for the parts today. Any opinions or first hand knowledge on weather or not it's worth the cash would be appreciated.

Are you buying a new one? I know Grabber may want to sell his and it's like new, had the TSB done too. I would shoot him a pm. I sold mine for about $1500 but it didn't have the TSB done.

I would do the swap, it's a nice transmission that you can put the power to.

I have an original drive shaft with no rust thats in perfect condition for cheap.

Are you buying a new one? I know Grabber may want to sell his and it's like new, had the TSB done too. I would shoot him a pm. I sold mine for about $1500 but it didn't have the TSB done.

I would do the swap, it's a nice transmission that you can put the power to.

I have an original drive shaft with no rust thats in perfect condition for cheap.

Thanks for the info, but I'm going with this kit from Pro Motion with the Shelby shifter. I will have a Dynotech DS and shifter for sale shortly.

I've been told that having the gears polished will make shifting smooth as glass, anyone had it done or seen a write up on this?

http://www.promotionpowertrain.com/NEW_05_08_MUSTANG.html

Thanks for the info, but I'm going with this kit from Pro Motion with the Shelby shifter. I will have a Dynotech DS and shifter for sale shortly.

I've been told that having the gears polished will make shifting smooth as glass, anyone had it done or seen a write up on this?

http://www.promotionpowertrain.com/NEW_05_08_MUSTANG.html

I have never heard that polishing the gears would make it shift smooth as silk. Mine shifts perfectly and nothing was done to the transmission that wasn't done at the transmission factory. The TR6060 is a great transmission. You may be able to save thousands of dollars by checking around. Rob's transmission is like new and a new crossmember and FRPP shifter are easily purchased OTC at any Ford SVT dealership.

Either way you will like the 6-speed.

Good Luck

• 4 weeks later...

Well , my cars sitting on a lift with the 6060 installed waiting on a DS that should have already been here, and now I'm thinking about pulling a perfectly good set of 3:73's with about 1500 miles on them and installing some 4:10's.

• 4 months later...

Well , my cars sitting on a lift with the 6060 installed waiting on a DS that should have already been here, and now I'm thinking about pulling a perfectly good set of 3:73's with about 1500 miles on them and installing some 4:10's.

Jeff, how is that 6spd treating you?

Jeff, how is that 6spd treating you?

It's been good so far and I've been beating the hell out of it lately, but it's still there and running like it did on day 1. The 4:10's got things just about right where I wanted them and the Shelby shifter has been great. The only thing I had a problem with was that I lost the mounts for the hangers comming off the cats which caused the exaust to sit a little lower and it would contact the panhard bar when I hit a bump or got on it, but a friend at the muffler shop fixed me up with some brackets and problem solved. It has been one of those rare mods that you can be completly satisfied with and not feel guilty about the $. Thanks again for the hood pictures.

It's been good so far and I've been beating the hell out of it lately, but it's still there and running like it did on day 1. The 4:10's got things just about right where I wanted them and the Shelby shifter has been great. The only thing I had a problem with was that I lost the mounts for the hangers comming off the cats which caused the exaust to sit a little lower and it would contact the panhard bar when I hit a bump or got on it, but a friend at the muffler shop fixed me up with some brackets and problem solved. It has been one of those rare mods that you can be completly satisfied with and not feel guilty about the $. Thanks again for the hood pictures.

thanks for the update and your very welcome on the pics. just update your thread with some pics once the hood is done

Archived