TEAM SHELBY FORUM

honest opinion guys

hrtatack1

now that we all own/will own this supercar.

do you all think it will go crazy in value like past supercars? (chevelle ss, boss mustangs and the like)

im a certified gearhead and like to make everything i have crazy fast. for some reason something is telling me to leave this car alone. i keep it in a climate controlled garage with my racecar and i find myself trying to keep the mileage down. on the other hand i just want to go nuts with it......we could all be dead tomorrow right?

ive had it a few months. i lowered it and tinted the windows. otherwise its bone stock. right now its easily reversible to like showroom new.

i almost want to buy another one just to build it up...the power potential is too crazy not to do one up

any input?

My friend there is just no way to know what will happen in the future. No one can tell you now what will happen to the value of these cars going forward because it depends on many, many different things.

1. I believe that one reason that the orginal muscle cars are through the roof now because so many got junked or gutted out after the 70's OPEC bullshit.

2. Baby boomers and post baby boomers want to buy the cars that they (we) could not afford to have when they were new. Plus we want to hold on to the memories of our youth and the less complcated life. We now obviously have a tremendious amount of discretionary income, so we pay up the wazoo for what we want coupled by supply and demand.

3. Freedom to be creative with our cars; At least in California anyway. Living in this state, I will NEVER be able to legally make the mods to my Cobra that other owners who live out of Cali can. But if I buy a pre 1975 car, I can do what ever TF I want to the engine, so that makes ANY pre 1975 car quite valuable (at least in Cal).

4. Right now, the 18 through 20 somethings are head over heels in love with compact and sub-compact cars to "TUNE". What will that mean for us old schooler's who could care less about those types of cars? Will our cars be desirable to them when they hit their thirty's, fourties and fifties?

5. Future technology. What happens to the value of an Internal Combustion engined car if some amazing technolgical breakthough happens with engines and/or fossil based fuels? 1000 Horsepower engines that get 100 MPG? It's rather unlikely that it would happen in our lifetime, but what if transportation does go the direction of the "Jetsons"?

6. Future global events. Wars, embargo's, terrorism. What will happen to the things that we find important to us now if someting quite serious happens to our country?

As you can see, there are a myriad of different resaons that drive this issue. We have discussed it here at length, and like mine, everyone has a different opinion as to what will happen to the value of these cars. Do what the original owners did with their 454 Chevelles, GT350 Cobras, and Hemi Cuda's. Drive the car, personalize it the way you want, and don't think about what may or may not happen in the future.

Carroll will tell you himself to DRIVE THE CAR because that what's it made for. With 6,500 miles on the odo of my Cobra, I listen to what he says.

you make perfect sense

screw it

Yea man, just fix it up the way you want it, drive as much as you want, but for goodness sake, just don't wreck it. That would definately torpedo its future value.

Enjoy your beautiful car brother.

God forbid, when Mr Shelby passes into his next life, I see a temporary spike in all of the cars that have his name on them.

Something that will impact future value is the future availability of all the computer-related components and modules. Once they're fried, then what is a future owner to do to get their car running again? Your local tool-and-tie machinist won't be able to build you a one-off of those parts.

I don't have a GT500, but I'd love to have one.

I don't think the value will go up in the future, at least in my lifetime.

God forbid, when Mr Shelby passes into his next life, I see a temporary spike in all of the cars that have his name on them.

Something that will impact future value is the future availability of all the computer-related components and modules. Once they're fried, then what is a future owner to do to get their car running again? Your local tool-and-tie machinist won't be able to build you a one-off of those parts.

Also a very good point.

My friend there is just no way to know what will happen in the future. No one can tell you now what will happen to the value of these cars going forward because it depends on many, many different things.

1. I believe that one reason that the orginal muscle cars are through the roof now because so many got junked or gutted out after the 70's OPEC bullshit.

2. Baby boomers and post baby boomers want to buy the cars that they (we) could not afford to have when they were new. Plus we want to hold on to the memories of our youth and the less complcated life. We now obviously have a tremendious amount of discretionary income, so we pay up the wazoo for what we want coupled by supply and demand.

3. Freedom to be creative with our cars; At least in California anyway. Living in this state, I will NEVER be able to legally make the mods to my Cobra that other owners who live out of Cali can. But if I buy a pre 1975 car, I can do what ever TF I want to the engine, so that makes ANY pre 1975 car quite valuable (at least in Cal).

4. Right now, the 18 through 20 somethings are head over heels in love with compact and sub-compact cars to "TUNE". What will that mean for us old schooler's who could care less about those types of cars? Will our cars be desirable to them when they hit their thirty's, fourties and fifties?

5. Future technology. What happens to the value of an Internal Combustion engined car if some amazing technolgical breakthough happens with engines and/or fossil based fuels? 1000 Horsepower engines that get 100 MPG? It's rather unlikely that it would happen in our lifetime, but what if transportation does go the direction of the "Jetsons"?

6. Future global events. Wars, embargo's, terrorism. What will happen to the things that we find important to us now if someting quite serious happens to our country?

As you can see, there are a myriad of different resaons that drive this issue. We have discussed it here at length, and like mine, everyone has a different opinion as to what will happen to the value of these cars. Do what the original owners did with their 454 Chevelles, GT350 Cobras, and Hemi Cuda's. Drive the car, personalize it the way you want, and don't think about what may or may not happen in the future.

Carroll will tell you himself to DRIVE THE CAR because that what's it made for. With 6,500 miles on the odo of my Cobra, I listen to what he

Right on!Best opinion post so far this year.

im not so much worried about fixing whats broke....i can fabricate just about anything. i was more concearned with its "stock value"

i see a 2.8 kb in my very near future

im not so much worried about fixing whats broke....i can fabricate just about anything.

You can fabricate computer chips and then program them with the applicable software for engine managemant, abs / traction control systems, etc? That's what makes me think will impact future value.

Try looking at what today's younger generation thinks are cool cars that they can't afford. Those will be the cars that will probably have future value. Just like the current 60s muscle car craze going on with the baby-boomer generation that can finally purchase what they longed for forty years ago. If today's generation longs for the Shelby, then there will be a market for them later. I just hope there are parts to keep them running.

You can fabricate computer chips and then program them with the applicable software for engine managemant, abs / traction control systems, etc? That's what makes me think will impact future value.

Try looking at what today's younger generation thinks are cool cars that they can't afford. Those will be the cars that will probably have future value. Just like the current 60s muscle car craze going on with the baby-boomer generation that can finally purchase what they longed for forty years ago. If today's generation longs for the Shelby, then there will be a market for them later. I just hope there are parts to keep them running.

no..if the computer stuff goes id tear it out

im the guy you see at the track with a carb on a 4.6....because i got tired of playing with the computer

my other car doesnt have a single computer part left in it (01 gt)

granted its an all out racecar now.....but if stuff went bad and wasnt available, id always figure out how to make it run

Do I think the car will go up in value - No

Do I hope it does yes!!!

I would drive it and do what you want and save the stock parts. A tune is easy to flash back, Air box is easy re-install, can put back old pulleys and/or Superchargwers, exhaust etc.

I've said from the start buying a car new for an investment is risky business but if you drive it and have fun with it and it happens to become worth a lot great.

do you all think it will go crazy in value like past supercars? (chevelle ss, boss mustangs and the like)

im a certified gearhead and like to make everything i have crazy fast. for some reason something is telling me to leave this car alone. i keep it in a climate controlled garage with my racecar and i find myself trying to keep the mileage down. on the other hand i just want to go nuts with it......we could all be dead tomorrow right?

ive had it a few months. i lowered it and tinted the windows. otherwise its bone stock. right now its easily reversible to like showroom new.

i almost want to buy another one just to build it up...the power potential is too crazy not to do one up

any input?

Hrtatack-

i struggle with the same issues..... whether to individualize the car or leave stock. I'm always worried that changing the car will effect future value. case in point: "numbers matching" original cars from the early muscle car era are much more valuable at auction.

But, I enjoy driving this car so much that I could not and will not park it in a garage for the next 20 years. I've decided to make "reversible" mods and save all of the original parts. I've decided to go with a few appearance modifications (centered rear decklid lettering, rims, a few minor interior mods, bolt-on suspension upgrade, hood struts (bolt-on), pullley swap, tune, CAI, etc. these changes will make the car plenty fast for me and still be easily reversible if I should ever decide to sell the car (which I don't anticipate). i guess it depends on how fast you want to get as to how "permanent" the changes you will need to make to the car.

Have fun with the car!

ron

PS- I disagree with others that have posted here. I think the car will appreciate in value. it is 40th anniversary Shelby and most powerful stang out of the factory. Although I wish him no ill will, Mr. Shelby will not be around forever. The car has a classic, mean look and lots of horses. although i never plan to sell mine.... i think it will appreciate. not more than a solid stock portfolio, however. I would not buy for investment purposes alone. JMHO. only time will tell.

Hrtatack-

i struggle with the same issues..... whether to individualize the car or leave stock. I'm always worried that changing the car will effect future value. case in point: "numbers matching" original cars from the early muscle car era are much more valuable at auction.

But, I enjoy driving this car so much that I could not and will not park it in a garage for the next 20 years. I've decided to make "reversible" mods and save all of the original parts. I've decided to go with a few appearance modifications (centered rear decklid lettering, rims, a few minor interior mods, bolt-on suspension upgrade, hood struts (bolt-on), pullley swap, tune, CAI, etc. these changes will make the car plenty fast for me and still be easily reversible if I should ever decide to sell the car (which I don't anticipate). i guess it depends on how fast you want to get as to how "permanent" the changes you will need to make to the car.

Have fun with the car!

ron

PS- I disagree with others that have posted here. I think the car will appreciate in value. it is 40th anniversary Shelby and most powerful stang out of the factory. Although I wish him no ill will, Mr. Shelby will not be around forever. The car has a classic, mean look and lots of horses. although i never plan to sell mine.... i think it will appreciate. not more than a solid stock portfolio, however. I would not buy for investment purposes alone. JMHO. only time will tell.

Wazzup Doc! :hysterical2: Just kidding.

Above you mentioned to went with different rims on your GT500. Do you have any photos of what you went with? I only remember seeing the stock rims on your earlier photos.

Thanks,

hsurb

Wazzup Doc! :hysterical2: Just kidding.

Above you mentioned to went with different rims on your GT500. Do you have any photos of what you went with? I only remember seeing the stock rims on your earlier photos.

Thanks,

hsurb

Haven't decided which rims to go with.... something lighter than stock and with a bit more "bling". I am thinking lomg and hard about those 20" razors, though. clean look. I'll post when i get them on.

The aftermarket will always make parts for these classic Mustangs including the computer parts / ECMs modules etc... in 10 years or so the computer parts used in our cars will be OLD technology and very easy to replicate and reproduce and will be available as long as there are cars left to drive around.

There will also be many conversion kits out there like someone going from a old dual point distributor to an electronic ignition setup in an 69 Road Runner or the like.

This I am definately not worried about..... just look at a Year One catalog or any of the good aftermarket catalogs, parts galore for your old classic.

I think that once the fossil fuels really start to get rare and super-expensive (and everyone is shooting for more economical transportation i.e. electric cars and scooters) the demand for these cars will skyrocket because they won't likely be producing muscle cars by then and the collectors and people with money will be frantically trying to hoard them which will make them very valuable.

Only time will tell.

What kid wouldn't want this car. :headscratch:

That is a no brainer. :yup:

I plan on having fun with this car and if it goes up in value, that will be a plus for my kids who will get it when I die. :rip:

You got this one dead nuts!!!!!!!!!! A+ !! The wife and I will enjoy this great car, then our kids will have there time with a historical super car. My gift [TOY] to me and to my kids not a investment on my part or theres. HAVE FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

any input?

This has been discussed at great length in other threads. IMO, if you want an investment, don't buy a car.

Check this thread. My opinion is in post #11

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...hl=stock+market

Dave

Someday the Shelby's GT500 and the GT might be worth some money, but I think the real beauty to the car is it embodies all of the virtues of the true American Muscle cars we fell in love with in our youth, with out the down sides(like carburated engines and drum brakes)and makes it modern, livable and reliable. It not a museum piece that you cant drive daily. Its made to be driven. :shift:

Im not sure that it will ever reach the type of status the late 60, early 70s cars have. Future genrations will determine that. Right now, most kids are enamored with Japanese muscle cars and trucks. Maybe they will be the cars worth the big bucks. "Aw man did you see that 95 300Z turbo!" theyll be sayin, heh. Maybe. :headspin:

I plan to do some mods but I dont know that Ill do anything I can't unbolt or unglue and keep the originals.

That way your covered if these do turn into classics. :idea:

KC666

Future technology. What happens to the value of an Internal Combustion engined car if some amazing technolgical breakthough happens with engines and/or fossil based fuels? 1000 Horsepower engines that get 100 MPG? It's rather unlikely that it would happen in our lifetime, but what if transportation does go the direction of the "Jetsons"?

I happen to have the patent on this and I'm not letting anyone have it to screw up my Shelby's future. Anyone want to be in my will :idea:

The Shelby's of today will command a higher price than the most other cars as do all SVT products. Maybe if the government stops manufacturer's from building hipo cars, their value will shoot way up but I am not counting on it.

:happy feet: I was out driving mine today! 653 RWHP 3300 Whipple, shifter, lowered with all the suspension goodies,gears, driveshaft and a new hood that goes in tommorrow for stripes and ghost flames!!! So I guess you can see what my opinion is! Just keep all your stock parts. I did the same thing with my old 1966 Gt350 H,You can be absolutly sure these cars will be worth money to some future collector, but I am going to drive the hell out of mine. To each their own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rockon:

Carroll will tell you himself to DRIVE THE CAR because that what's it made for. With 6,500 miles on the odo of my Cobra, I listen to what he says.

Excellent post, a lot of valid points. We can only wait and see, but I'm not waiting. I'll have as much fun as I can with this car but I don't think I'll make major changes just because it would change the nature of the car. You can add and change all the parts you want to a GT to take it to about any level of a, drag car, autocross car, roadrace car or whatever you want.

You got this one dead nuts!!!!!!!!!! A+ !! The wife and I will enjoy this great car, then our kids will have there time with a historical super car. My gift [TOY] to me and to my kids not a investment on my part or theres. HAVE FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know, sounds like a great investment to me! An investment in life. We will all enjoy our time with Shelbys.

Archived