TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT350 vs. GT500. Which one is better?

With the introduction of the 2011 GT350, I've started to see numerous comments on which Shelby is better - the GT350 or the GT500?

In reality, the question is best answered based on how you plan on driving your Shelby and not which one has more horsepower, etc. :shift:

During the 1960s, the issue of which Shelby was better wasn't really an issue at all. This is primarily because people choose their Shelby "weapon of choice" based on the intended use. This is still true today.

GT350: The GT350 was originally designed for street and road course racing...a real road course warrior.

GT500: The GT500s on the other hand were more strip and touring oriented.

Whichever Shelby you prefer, remember that they serve vastly different purposes so don't compare their horsepower or spec. for spec. but rather for how you intend to drive it. ;)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the introduction of the 2011 GT350, I've started to see numerous comments on which Shelby is better - the GT350 or the GT500?

In reality, the question is best answered based on how you plan on driving your Shelby and not which one has more horsepower, etc. :shift:

During the 1960s, the issue of which Shelby was better wasn't really an issue at all. This is primarily because people choose their Shelby "weapon of choice" based on the intended use. This is still true today.

GT350: The GT350 was originally designed for street and road course racing...a real road course warrior.

Whichever Shelby you prefer, remember that they serve vastly different purposes so don't compare their horsepower or spec. for spec. but rather for how you intend to drive it. ;)

It's kinda hard to make this comparison when we don't even know all the specs on the new GT350. My vote is pending.

QSS

While the performence #s are still not available??????

What is, is Style and Curb Appeal makes the 07-09 Shelby GT500 the Clear Winner......... :salute:

Except for that Awesome Looking SC/5.0 V-8 under the hood of the new Shelby GT350........... :happy feet:

I think the new GT350 is too much like the GT500. It should have been a 2011 version of the 2000 Cobra R instead of being basically a very similar car to the current GT500.

Which is better? I think they will end up being remarkably the same....

They are different cars!!! :banghead:

Designed for different types of driving :shift:

I bought a SGT because Shelby did not supercharge it. :dance:

IMHO....it's the GT500 (07-09).

I just think the new GT350 is way overstated. It would have been great if it matched it's looks in comparison with the GT500 (like the old days), yet had the performance specs it currently has. The GT350 markings on the hood, the rear end, the rims, etc...are too aftermarket for my taste.

I just think the new GT350 is way overstated. It would have been great if it matched it's looks in comparison with the GT500 (like the old days), yet had the performance specs it currently has. The GT350 markings on the hood, the rear end, the rims, etc...are too aftermarket for my taste.

The new GT350 looks like it has ..

A) the suspension of the SGT

b ) the HP of the GT500

C) the body kit to make it stick out from the SGT and GT500.

My $.02

I don't think the cars are really even comparable. The GT350 is not even affordable to most people. The GT500 wins simply because it is basically the same car w/ essentially the same power (and more torque I imagine) at a lesser price - i.e., the best value.

I would not choose the GT350 over the GT500, road race, drag race or otherwise because it should have been designed and priced between a Shelby GT and a GT500 so more folks would have a shot at it.

My favorite (besides my Shelby GT of course) is the KR.

I just read an article in todays newspaper about the new GT350. You purchase your 2011 GT (approx 30K) and send it to Shelby at a whopping $33,995 upgrade. HOLY CRAP, that's dam near as much as they are trying to unload the left over KR's for. Not to mention its a hell of alot more than a new GT500.

I'd buy the new GT500 with the new aluminum motor, but I already own the 2010 and its paid for. We can talk about the value of the car in the future, but lets face it, how many of us are still going to living 30-40 years from now and still remember our own names.

It should have been a 2011 version of the 2000 Cobra R instead of being basically a very similar car to the current GT500.

Which is better? I think they will end up being remarkably the same....

I couldn't agree more. The hope was that this car would embody much of the same philosophy that Ford had with their 'R' models.

Nimble on its feet, and minimal exterior changes (read: subtle).

I don't think the cars are really even comparable. The GT350 is not even affordable to most people. The GT500 wins simply because it is basically the same car w/ essentially the same power (and more torque I imagine) at a lesser price - i.e., the best value.

I would not choose the GT350 over the GT500, road race, drag race or otherwise because it should have been designed and priced between a Shelby GT and a GT500 so more folks would have a shot at it.

Admittedly, CS is in a tough spot here. With the GT and KR done, they were looking for a new vehicle (literally or not) to focus on. Choosing the GT350 was a natural. Yet,I have a sense that there wasn't 100% agreement on what we saw the other night among even those that stood next to it as it was unveiled. There are simply too many interpretations and no easy way to include them all. Whoever headed the project, no doubt, had some sleepless nights. Whoever you are, your efforts have not gone unnoticed.

That said, the question posed in this particular thread is an excellent one. The original cars compared as such - one a brutal heavyweight, the other a lightweight that earned the highest levels of respect from an entirely different venue. With that in mind, I'd think it safe to say that is what most expect today. The problem for CS is that the times have changed since 1965. The DOT, NHTSA, EPA, etc, have much more stringent regulations in place that make it difficult for CS to employ the same business model. In addition, I ask, how many in the target market would be willing to forego luxuries such air conditioning? Radio delete? Increased NVH? I would, as that is the GT350 that I'm in search of. I want it lighter, better handling, and with more power (and in that order). The reality is, I suspect that isn't what the majority of middle aged men that have the money to buy them are looking for.

So if Shelby can only add (weight, etc) to the base Mustang GT in its quest to create a modern day interpretation of the original GT350, I can't help but feel that they are in fact putting themselves in competition with the current GT500, albeit from a different direction. They really have no other choice. With that, the issue becomes value. Is it about brute force or handling (just as it was decades ago)? If brute force is the choice, CS will have a tough time competing with an OEM simply because of economies of scale. If the choice is handling, then luxury style content would have to go. Then many would argue against value. Which leaves a final concern.

Balance.

That's what this is really about, isn't? If CS is to stay in the game, they have to juggle in ways that they never had to before. An extremely difficult task, especially with the economy so far in the tank. The fact that the 2011 GT looks like such a fantastic car on its face poses even more of a challenge for the team at Shelby. What do I see coming? Not brute force or an extreme canyon carver, but instead a mild blend. Above the regular Mustang GT (obviously) but not necessarily below the current GT500.

Shelby took on a tough one here. May the final product be as legendary as the original.

Tob

I agree. These two cars are different and were built with a different purpose in mind. When looking at which is "better" than the other, one must consider what the owner intends the purpose of the car they buy to be. I like and respect both cars for what they are; Shelbys.

The GT350 and GT500 had totally different jobs. I like both of them. I can't say one is better, they are just different.

The blower on the GT350 may seem a little out of place but there were GT350's with Paxtons.

For those wanting an "R" code car with things like rear-seat delete and roll bars, those are getting out of the Shelby realm and more into the Ford Racing Cobra Jet realms. It'll be interesting what the 2011 MY brings in this space.

I couldn't agree more. The hope was that this car would embody much of the same philosophy that Ford had with their 'R' models.

Nimble on its feet, and minimal exterior changes (read: subtle).

Admittedly, CS is in a tough spot here. With the GT and KR done, they were looking for a new vehicle (literally or not) to focus on. Choosing the GT350 was a natural. Yet,I have a sense that there wasn't 100% agreement on what we saw the other night among even those that stood next to it as it was unveiled. There are simply too many interpretations and no easy way to include them all. Whoever headed the project, no doubt, had some sleepless nights. Whoever you are, your efforts have not gone unnoticed.

That said, the question posed in this particular thread is an excellent one. The original cars compared as such - one a brutal heavyweight, the other a lightweight that earned the highest levels of respect from an entirely different venue. With that in mind, I'd think it safe to say that is what most expect today. The problem for CS is that the times have changed since 1965. The DOT, NHTSA, EPA, etc, have much more stringent regulations in place that make it difficult for CS to employ the same business model. In addition, I ask, how many in the target market would be willing to forego luxuries such air conditioning? Radio delete? Increased NVH? I would, as that is the GT350 that I'm in search of. I want it lighter, better handling, and with more power (and in that order). The reality is, I suspect that isn't what the majority of middle aged men that have the money to buy them are looking for.

So if Shelby can only add (weight, etc) to the base Mustang GT in its quest to create a modern day interpretation of the original GT350, I can't help but feel that they are in fact putting themselves in competition with the current GT500, albeit from a different direction. They really have no other choice. With that, the issue becomes value. Is it about brute force or handling (just as it was decades ago)? If brute force is the choice, CS will have a tough time competing with an OEM simply because of economies of scale. If the choice is handling, then luxury style content would have to go. Then many would argue against value. Which leaves a final concern.

Balance.

That's what this is really about, isn't? If CS is to stay in the game, they have to juggle in ways that they never had to before. An extremely difficult task, especially with the economy so far in the tank. The fact that the 2011 GT looks like such a fantastic car on its face poses even more of a challenge for the team at Shelby. What do I see coming? Not brute force or an extreme canyon carver, but instead a mild blend. Above the regular Mustang GT (obviously) but not necessarily below the current GT500.

Shelby took on a tough one here. May the final product be as legendary as the original.

Tob

Tob, you and I have disagreed on a couple of threads in my recent and short memory, but I have to say, this is one of the most well put posts I have read regarding the GT350 and the obstacles SAI faced in its development. I could not agree more with what you have stated.

Although some outside influences are at work in this project, Gary Davis was said to be heading up this model. For those of you who dont know, Gary is the VP of Production for SAI, and a purist in the auto industry. They couldn't have put this task in more capable hands. The names that we revere and immortalize from the SAI of the 60s, our kids will do the same with the current people at Shelby. I am SO honored that not only can I say I have met and known them, but they know me. I am truly blessed to have such a connection with the people I admire.

+1

GT350 appears 8 times on the exterior of the car alone. A little overkill.

IMO,They are both winners in their own settings.

I love both of them for 2 different purposes. They both look great. The GT500 for ballz out straight line performance, and with stickier wider tires and S/C,exhaust and suspension mods etc, and its a terror goin down the 1/4 mile. And the new GT350, I was hoping for the circuit track courses.

I agree they both are just as important in the Shelby world, and you said well when you said the GT350 was originally designed for street and road course racing...a real road course warrior.

I race cars on a circuit track at The Glen where I live and lighter is usually always better for these type of tracks.....and the GT350's heritage is about lighter, more nimble car with great handling characteristics, and not being the same weight as the GT500, would REALLY help alot on these types of tracks

That being said, and especially being car will be limited in production,and the car looks pretty cool, I would love for the new GT350 to be lighter than its near 4000lb weight, say 3500lbs or so, NA new modified 5.0, say 550+HP coming from cams,tune,exhaust,forged internals,heads, maybe even stroked if possible as a option,etc) and keep the heavier S/C(especially being the new 5.0 is a higher compression engine) for the GT500 and such. Back seat delete would be cool too with built in roll bar. I would love to see some classic hood pins and classic style wider wheels and tires on it as well with griggs suspension as an option. And a classic white cueball type shifter similiar to the 2010 GT500. Move the shelby name up on rear end and continue stripes down back end, alittle less and more classy badging all the way around....and This BABY is Born for the circuit track!....and in my garage :shift: Or maybe Carroll and Amy (hint-hint) hear and see this and they make a radical "R" model GT350 in the near future for us old circuit track gearheads. :D

So, If GT350 stays as it is with no changes, and even though it being a great handling "heavier" interpetation, I would then say for my needs the new 2011 GT500 would be better in the long run, with the approx 100lb less off the front end from its new all aluminum 5.4 , would bring weight to 3800 lbs or so. I would then add the suspension, exhaust, tune,s/c ,engine etc mods to make it handle and perform better. But dollar for dollar they are both great cars in their own settings

Either way, Carroll and Amy and Gary and Bud and the whole Shelby American Crew should be commended for bringing our dreams into reality by bringing back the much herald circuit track and street fighting terror, called The GT350, as well as the GT500! :shades:

ps- I believe every shelby enthusiast should have 1 of each whenever possible :yahoo:

GT500. While the weight is a bit of a penalty, the price difference more than makes up for it and as Griggs has proven a properly setup GT500 can more than hold its own on a race track.

Plus the subtlety of the GT500 is one of its best features. That's important unless your customer base is males age 16-25, which I'm sure it isn't. The GT350 is far to "Fast and Furious" for me.

Colin

GT500. While the weight is a bit of a penalty, the price difference more than makes up for it and as Griggs has proven the GT500 can more than hold its own on a race track.

I was hoping the new GT350 would be sporting the full Griggs suspension system, with just a few styling changes to tie into the 1965 model.

Guess I'll just have to stick with the GT500 :burnout:

I think they did right on the new GT350. :yup:

Plain and simple.

But, just like an earlier post... I'm going to reserve my vote for when we can pit it against a GT500, perhaps, or see some real numbers. Performance-wise I have a premonition that the GT350 it going to outgun the 500. Of course... that may not be evident in the price tag, but...

You get what you pay for!

I was hoping the new GT350 would be sporting the full Griggs suspension system, with just a few styling changes to tie into the 1965 model.

Guess I'll just have to stick with the GT500 :burnout:

Yes, Griggs makes great stuff , if they didn't file for bankruptcy last week. that is why we use suppliers like FFR, Eibach, etc. They make great stuff and support it if there is an issue. Stability in these times is important

Amy

$33k for the GT350 package , but you don't get to keep your original take off parts.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'd get a 2011 GT500 is I was buying a new one and if that wasnt enough then a 2011 SS but I am not seeing how this car fits any niche.

I don't think it will sell well. A better idea would to have just bring back the SGT.

I thought the original GT350 was about minimal and light weight NA road course dominance? This car will compete directly with a Roush Stage 3 and the new Saleen both of which get a fully forged motor and are not post title.

If I was rich, sure I would own a new GT350, but I'm not so the GT500 makes more sense, if a 500hp mustang makes sense lol

Archived