TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What wheel size do you want

Daren@shelbywheels

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the CS-69 SE in 20". Would like an 11" rear that would take a wider tire and still clear the brakes and suspension.

I do like the look of the 20" wheels, and really love the deep dish look in the rear.

Unfortunately we don't produce the Alcoa so we have no control over the design or engineering. Keep up the comments and suggestions though. At some point they're bound to hit the right set of ears.

The design and engineering on the 18" Alcoas is fine imo... All we are asking is that SA orders some in!!

Hey everyone. Great input. Let me address a few of the comments so far.

18 inch wheels have been mentioned several times for track use. I'm hearing lightweight, strong, and as wide as possible all the way around. We can produce that in a cast but we'd have to compromise on weight. The best way for us to produce that without compromise is by making a forged wheel. We have been considering a made in the USA forged line for quite sometime and it is something that is very likely to happen in the future. As to how soon, I don't know.

USA manufacturing has also been mentioned. As I mentioned above eventually we hope to put out a US made forged line. Producing a cast wheel on US soil is a completely different proposition. We've been trying for the past 18 months to find US manufacturing capacity. It's just not out there. What makes us unique also hurts us, Our size. We cater to the Mustang enthusiast. We only make wheels for Mustang. With that comes low volume and the few US cast manufacters left are only interested in OE size volume. I don't like it anymore than anyone else. With that said most Asian manufacturers are producing very high quality wheels. As a matter of fact some of the wheels if not all on the 2010 Mustang are produced in Tiawan.

Proper offsets and fitment over big brakes has also mentioned several times. It's our intent from here on out to engineer every new product to fit the big brake packages available for Mustang. Front and Rear. Also as new tooling is required for existing products when possible we will re-engineer those to fit big brakes front and rear. As far as the offsets go, that's where our size is to our advantage. We only engineer for Mustang. All of our wheels are hub-centric and produced in the correct offset for the application. We don't make one-size fits-all wheels to fit everything. Our wheels do fit more makes and models but they're only engineered for Mustang. Specifically 05 and up. So they will fit like a glove. Or more accurately a shoe.

The GT350 Cragar wheel isn't ours so that's one of those that is out of our control. I'd check with SPP. with enough demand I'm sure they'll start selling them.

As for the stock SGT wheel. There are a few companies making reproductions of those now. I don't know about fitments but that field is already pretty crowded. Keep watching us though. One new design we're considering is a Bullitt inspired wheel. You didn't here it from me though.

Now for the 11 inch wide, I'm pushing for this one myself. So chances are looking good. Real good.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't hear alot of demand for 19's. I'm hearing primarily 18's and 20's.

Keep it coming guys. This is great.

Hi everyone. The Carroll Shelby Wheel Company wants your opinion. What size wheel would you like to see. For upcoming styles we're considering 19 and 20 inch diameters. If we chose 19 it will be full rotational in as wide a width as we can engineer. If we do 20 inch staggered it will be 9-9.5 inch wide in the front and 10-11 inch width in the back.

Tell us what you think.

18 x 10-10.5-11 for the rear and 18 x 9-9.5 up front. 20 is just too big and track tires are hard to find for 19.

I called for 19's.............if more 19's start to come, the tire manufacturers will make the tires

Sorry, didn't mean to leave you out. 19's are still on the table. I agree as more 19's become available more tires will as well. However our small volume won't make a difference to tire companies. It'll take the car manufacturers to really make a difference. In fact they already are. Just in the last year since as 19's become more common, tire prices have gone down and selection gone up. They're still not as cheap as 18's or 20's but they're getting close.

Daren,

I think there would be a pretty large market for a spare that would fit big brakes and fit in the trunk. That would go well beyond the Shelby market. Of course finding the right size rubber to fit would also be a trick. That might just be a matter of a 17" existing rubber but with the right offset which would still hold the tire under the fender but pushing it out from the brakes.

By the time the committee concludes the hearings, calls meetings to discuss, votes, finds a manufacturer, places the order, and allows for lead time for manufacture and shipment by slow boat from China, my traction problems will have long been resolved. But thanks for the effort.

18 x 10-10.5-11 for the rear and 18 x 9-9.5 up front. 20 is just too big and track tires are hard to find for 19.

Absolutely correct. I've requested CS67s for a retro look since 2006. I was told Carroll really liked 20's. Yes, because they "look good" and they fill a wheel well, but worthless for handling and any type of spirited driving. My suggestion is to be aware of your market and create value for both segments; show and go.

bj

You might get more requests for 19's if the tire selection was already out there. I would prefer 19's no less than 9.5" up front and 10.5-11" out back. But...would take the 20's in the same width if when these finally get produced there is still no tire selection for 19's. Would also consider the 19" up front and the 20" out back.

These are good sizes if they have offsets that keep them inside the fenders. 19 is the largest I would consider.

Since we don't produce or distribute the Alcoa's we don't have control or input on any aspect of them. That would be a request for either Shelby autos or Shelby Performance.

I missed the first part of your first post about the Shelby Wheel company!! Me bad!!

How bout something similar to the Alcoa in an 18 then? I like the spare tire idea too... Safer for road trips...

Absolutely correct. I've requested CS67s for a retro look since 2006. I was told Carroll really liked 20's. Yes, because they "look good" and they fill a wheel well, but worthless for handling and any type of spirited driving. My suggestion is to be aware of your market and create value for both segments; show and go.

bj

We've been making CS67's in 17, 18, and 20 since 2006. Unfortunately due to the design it cannot be made to fit big brakes and still have the correct offsets without major cosmetic changes. Basically, if we made it fit it would no longer look like the CS67.

As for being aware of our market, that's exactly why I posed the question on the forum. Trying to strike a balance between show and go is exactly our goal. So far the results are bucking the trend. I'm getting way more support for 18's than our sales suggest. Approximately 75%-80% of our sales are 20 inch wheels. I will grant that we only have 2 styles in 18x9.5 that fits big brakes all the way around but in those styles the 20 inch still out sell the 18's about 8 to 1.

We've been making CS67's in 17, 18, and 20 since 2006. Unfortunately due to the design it cannot be made to fit big brakes and still have the correct offsets without major cosmetic changes. Basically, if we made it fit it would no longer look like the CS67.

As for being aware of our market, that's exactly why I posed the question on the forum. Trying to strike a balance between show and go is exactly our goal. So far the results are bucking the trend. I'm getting way more support for 18's than our sales suggest. Approximately 75%-80% of our sales are 20 inch wheels. I will grant that we only have 2 styles in 18x9.5 that fits big brakes all the way around but in those styles the 20 inch still out sell the 18's about 8 to 1.

Hello Darren, then maybe split the difference and offer a few styles in 18' and 20' and some in 19' and 20'

19's are a good mix of show and go (ie 2010 GT500, GT350,Saleen Heritage)

You have 18" that fit over big breaks? People like the KR wheels and the stock SGT look wheels, but want 18" that will fit over big breaks. if you go back looking through the forums you will see that stated again and again and again.

You have 18" that fit over big breaks? People like the KR wheels and the stock SGT look wheels, but want 18" that will fit over big breaks. if you go back looking through the forums you will see that stated again and again and again.

We absolutely have 18's that fit big brakes. CS69 and CS56 in 18x9.5 full rotational.

All sizes mentioned are possible with enough demand. Basically we're trying to decide which sizes in new styles to come out with first.

We absolutely have 18's that fit big brakes. CS69 and CS56 in 18x9.5 full rotational.

All sizes mentioned are possible with enough demand. Basically we're trying to decide which sizes in new styles to come out with first.

yup, C56-18" with 6P front brakes

DSC04815.jpg

Darren, thanks for taking the time to find out what the consumer wants!!! I love the look of the stock SGT wheels and in 18X10 all the way around and fitting big brakes would be awesome. Would also like to see the GT4 design in 18X10 front and back, again fitting big brakes.

And +1000 on the spare fitting big brakes and fit in the trunk. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

Dan

Archived