TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford dropping Dealer's

1970boss302

I was at a family reunion and heard that Ford will be closing some dealerships in Pennsylvania

this year. Has anyone heard about this and how will it effect those people on a list for the

Ford Boss and Shelby cars??

Anyone have any more information ???

I was at a family reunion and heard that Ford will be closing some dealerships in Pennsylvania

this year. Has anyone heard about this and how will it effect those people on a list for the

No other info but I could supply Ford with a few names to close around here (not all) but a couple around here make it a practice of taking people for suckers!

Yes, it's true. It's part of their global restructuring plan. Some dealers in Los Angeles (Bevery Hills Ford) have already been closed down. My local Lincoln Mercury Dealer was right across the street from the Ford dealer, and Ford shut the LM dealer down and transferred their stock over to the Ford dealer. They now handle both (three?) lines.

Sorry to say that allot of the "mom and pop" dealers will probably get vaporized. And you're right to be concerned about orders, becuse unless FoMoCo intervenes on the buyer's behalf, there is nothing that forces one dealer to honor another dealer's agreement or contract with a buyer. And considering the fantastic ADM'S being levied against the Shelby and the "slap on the hand" letter that FoMoCo sent to their dealers admonishing them to control themselves, it's unlikely that they would get involved in forcing the new dealer to honor customer contracts written by a now defunct dealer.

On the other hand, unless your dealer is a rather tiny one out in the middle of nowhere, it's unlikely that your dealer will be shut down anytime soon because this is a long term restructing plan. It's similar to what our Military did with bases that were redundant. It's a painful, but many, many, bases have been shut down across the country over the last 8 years or so.

Why would Ford shut down any dealer? What is it costing them?

Yes, it's true. It's part of their global restructuring plan. Some dealers in Los Angeles (Bevery Hills Ford) have already been closed down. My local Lincoln Mercury Dealer was right across the street from the Ford dealer, and Ford shut the LM dealer down and transferred their stock over to the Ford dealer. They now handle both (three?) lines.

Sorry to say that allot of the "mom and pop" dealers will probably get vaporized. And you're right to be concerned about orders, becuse unless FoMoCo intervenes on the buyer's behalf, there is nothing that forces one dealer to honor another dealer's agreement or contract with a buyer. And considering the fantastic ADM'S being levied against the Shelby and the "slap on the hand" letter that FoMoCo sent to their dealers admonishing them to control themselves, it's unlikely that they would get involved in forcing the new dealer to honor customer contracts written by a now defuct dealer.

On the other hand, unless your dealer is a rather tiny one out in the middle of nowhere, it's unlikely that your dealer will be shut down anytime soon because this is a long term restructing plan. It's similar to what our Military did with bases that were redundant. It's a painful, but many, many, bases have been shut down across the country over the last 8 years or so.

java script:emoticon(':finger:', 'smid_8')

:finger:

I heard that Ford is shutting down two of the dealers in the Reading, Pa. area. and also

maybe Victory Ford in Ephrata, Pa. ? I Know Ford wants to reduce the dealers but to do

it at the cost of customers is not a smart thing also. The last thing Ford needs is to lose the

loyal customer. Ford also needs to try to get in with the younger crowd that are jap lovers.

I bet that they will be producing far less cars and that is why the reduction in dealerships is going to happen.

A big change is comming in March. I have heard this from several people. Some work for Ford. I do not know the details, but I was told consolidation on both sides of the fence.

Waite and see. :lurk:

Why would Ford shut down any dealer? What is it costing them?

Sorry for the delay on this, I must have missed your question earler. The cost of dealer support system is staggering. Millions of dollars annually. Sales materials, training, technicial support, warranty claim processing, the list goes on and on.

If the dealer is not doing a tremendous amount of volume sales and their service and repair department revenue is low, Ford is not getting their return on their investment so it's cheaper to pull their franchise argeement. That's where Ford gains. In the end, the dealer may still stand, but it won't be selling or supporting Ford products any longer.

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorta worried about my small town dealer. He's a personal friend of mine.

I bet that they will be producing far less cars and that is why the reduction in dealerships is going to happen.

A big change is comming in March. I have heard this from several people. Some work for Ford. I do not know the details, but I was told consolidation on both sides of the fence.

Waite and see. :lurk:

I have heard the exact same thing as well. Disturbing if true..but if it has to be done, then it has to be done.

Archived