TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Window Cleaner?

mrdci

What window cleaner can remove a greasy film off the glass. I have tried Windex and it doesn't work. When I think its clean it seems to come back in a couple of days. It also seems to repell water. Any thoughts or ideas on where this is coming from and how to get the glass clean. Its one of the main reasons I haven't tinted my windows yet.

What window cleaner can remove a greasy film off the glass. I have tried Windex and it doesn't work. When I think its clean it seems to come back in a couple of days. It also seems to repell water. Any thoughts or ideas on where this is coming from and how to get the glass clean. Its one of the main reasons I haven't tinted my windows yet.

Try soap and water and one of those WHITE nylon scrub pads. The white nylon will not scratch the glass and between that and the soap solution, it should cut through the greasey film you referr to. Also, make sure that any towels you are using are clean and have not been run through the dryer with a dryer sheet or any other fabric softner.

Any good tint shop will thoughorly clean the glass first as well. Well at least they should.

You can also try a window cleaner called Sprayaway. It is an alchol based foaming type glass cleaner. Works great and safe for the new tint you plan to install.

Try warm water with a splash of vinegar.............should cut through anything.

I use Sprayaway class cleaner and one of these....

http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=989&cid=171

and my glass comes out squeaky clean all the way down to the corners. That inside windshield cleaning device is the best thing ever invented to really clean the inside of the windshield or the rear window.

Once a year I use on the outside glass nothing more than a rag soaked with Coca-Cola, scrub down the windshield and let sit for less than a minute, then clean it well with Perfect Glass using for one wipe of micro-fiber towel then finish with a flour-sack bar towel, and never rub with a wet side, always dry.

The coke removes everything...and I do mean everything, film, wax, deposits, so don't get it on your paint, or rewax if you do.

Did you ever have an old car that the batt terminals were all corroded...we always poured coke on them and the cleaned right up.

Once a year I use on the outside glass nothing more than a rag soaked with Coca-Cola, scrub down the windshield and let sit for less than a minute, then clean it well with Perfect Glass using for one wipe of micro-fiber towel then finish with a flour-sack bar towel, and never rub with a wet side, always dry.

The coke removes everything...and I do mean everything, film, wax, deposits, so don't get it on your paint, or rewax if you do.

Did you ever have an old car that the batt terminals were all corroded...we always poured coke on them and the cleaned right up.

Did you put aspirin in your battery?

I was told by a really great detailer that it is not what you put on, but how you take it off.

He recommends Perfect Glass, applied with a damp micro fiber cloth and buffed dry with a dry micro fiber.

Make sure you "square" the cloth and buff until completely dry.

Works for me!

I use Sprayaway class cleaner and one of these....

http://www.calcarcov...?id=989&cid=171

and my glass comes out squeaky clean all the way down to the corners. That inside windshield cleaning device is the best thing ever invented to really clean the inside of the windshield or the rear window.

I finally switched to both these products and my least favorite cleaning task is a much easier process!

Try warm water with a splash of vinegar.............should cut through anything.

I carry a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar with me as part of the detail kit we carry in the car when traveling with it. Works great on glass and paint to remove water spots your detail spray won't. After wipe down you need to go over glass with a cleaner (I love Invisible Glass brand) and hit the body and/or wheels with your spray detailer.

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts or ideas on where this is coming from and how to get the glass clean.

It comes from 'outgassing' of the interior pieces your car has in it.

The plastic parts in your interior expell gasses for quite some time. Newer parts expell more/faster. The film you see on your windows is a product of the outgassing process. UV (the sun) causes the outgassing to occur quicker and that's another good reason to use a sun shade in your car.

I have a can of glass cleaner one of those portable glass installers gave me when he was installing a new windshield on my neighbors car. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but everybody I know who has used it says it is THE BEST glass cleaner you can get. It sprays out in a white foam.

The can is mostly white with a black top section and red lettering. It says "Safelite AutoGlass" and then 'elite Auto Glass" around the top/black part.

The label just says "Glass Cleaner" on it and there is a URL and phone number lowre down on the can.

URL: safelite.com

Phone #: 800-800-ASAP (2727)

It says it is "for institutional, commercial, and industrial use". Cleans *and* Polishes Windows-Mirrors-Windshields. It says "Spray and wipe clean, Leaves no film".

You can't buy it at stores from what I was told but the guy installing the windshield gave me, my neighbor and his best friend a can for free.

It's probably available at stores but under a different label. You could call the toll free number to find out.

Like I said, supposed to be THE best.

HTH,

Phill Pollard

I carry a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar with me as part of the detail kit we carry in the car when traveling with it. Works great on glass and paint to remove water spots your detail spray won't. After wipe down you need to go over glass with a cleaner (I love Invisible Glass brand) and hit the body and/or wheels with your spray detailer.

I would try this as well, make sure it is white vinegar.

Here is what I use. Adam glass cleaner and glass towel. To be honest I think it's the glass towel that make it work. It's not a microfiber towel but seems to be more of a satin feel with ridges. I have always struggled with hard to clean interior glass until I got this special towel out of desperation.

431.jpg

You probley won't believe this and i didn't till i saw it on a local tv station try it before you buy it segment.They gave it an A+ and so do i.It is called Winshield Wonder and i bought it at Walmart for around 10 bucks and it's worth more.It has a swivel head on a long arm that has a micro polish cloth on it.It comes with a spray bottel that you put ONLY WATER in it ,you spray a light amount of water on the cloth and the swivel head gets in all the nooks & crannies easily and gets it very clean on 1 pass.Try it you'll be glad you did.My wife says Walgreens has them too.

You probley won't believe this and i didn't till i saw it on a local tv station try it before you buy it segment.They gave it an A+ and so do i.It is called Winshield Wonder and i bought it at Walmart for around 10 bucks and it's worth more.It has a swivel head on a long arm that has a micro polish cloth on it.It comes with a spray bottel that you put ONLY WATER in it ,you spray a light amount of water on the cloth and the swivel head gets in all the nooks & crannies easily and gets it very clean on 1 pass.Try it you'll be glad you did.My wife says Walgreens has them too.

My buddy use that and it seems to work well... I still like the Adam's stuff better.

Archived