TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500/GT350?

JADEDaddy73

So what did you think? I like it. I like the GT500 much more but then again I'm very biased. I will say I'm not loving the fact that they released it with the possible HP figures surpassing the GT500. I'm not concerned because the stock KR was underrated at 540 and was actually around 590 and with my mods my KR is up at about 775 at the crank, but still. I don't think that makes much sense. I feel like they are going to have to cap the engine at around 500-525 max to keep the GT500 owners at bay. Same thing Porsche did with the Cayman S. It was able to out track the 911 and then they toned it down on the final tune so that it remained the "baby brother" to the 911. Something to be said for that. Smart marketing in my opinion anyway. Don't want to piss off your core market right? You guys are the experts, I'm new to this market so have at it!

Anyway looking forward to hearing your opinions?

One thing for sure.

It does not take many mods to make the 5.4 in our GT500's monster rockets.

I like the GT350. It's very Cool.

Agreed. If the GT350 has stock Ford internals, it's at it's limit as far as engine longevity goes. While a GT500 can spit out 650 to the tires all day long and not break a sweat.

I like the GT350. I could do with out the body kit though.

I agree with you guys. I'm comfortable knowing that our cars are beasts and nothing done to the GT350 will top a slightly modded KR. Anyway for what it's worth I think it's a good looking car but like I told Grabber before I do understand the traditionalist being a bit pissed about the body styling. It is a very different look than the original. I think they could have thrown the classic lover's a bone in the styling for sure. Oh well it is what it is and to that end it's still the "Baby Brother" to our GT500KR's!

Glad to see SAI's attempt to improve the styling of the rear on the new GT350

although I still prefer the Saleen Body Kit, Really like the old Cobra Badging

and the Bold Black Framing across and around the tailights. Overall a better

looking car over a stock 2010 Mustang...............

Although the 07/09 GT500 and SGT owners still have far better looking cars IMHO.......

I will say I'm not loving the fact that they released it with the possible HP figures surpassing the GT500.

You have to remember, the GT350 is a 2011 MY and you're comparing it to a 2010 MY GT500.

What's it mean to me? It means the 2011 GT500 will more than likely have a 10HP increase up to 550HP, if not a little more.

Look at the Roush 540RH & Stage-3. Both are *rated* at 540HP...hmmm, coincedence? I think not. It is widely reported that they (540RH/StgIII) are making way more than 540HP but do you think FORD would allow Roush to advertise more HP than a GT500? No way. Ain't gonna happen.

This reminds me of when the 350 LT-1 came out in the 1970 Z-28 and the 1970 Corvette. Same identical motor but the 'Vette had 370HP compared to the Z with 365HP (or was it 360?).

There is NO WAY GM was going to allow the (much cheaper) Z to get the same HP as their top-of-the-line Corvette.

FWIW, there was a slight difference between the two in that the exhaust pipe diameter on the Vette was slightly larger but remember...HP figures were at the crank with open exhaust.

I see the new GT350 being rated at 550HP BUT I bet'cha the 2011 GT500 w/Aluminum block will be rated similarily (i.e. 550HP or slightly more).

JMHO,

Phill Pollard

Try getting the "MAJORITY" to agree to that???????????????? :hysterical:

If the 2011 Shelby GT350 is to "UPSTAGE" the recent

and current Shelby GT500 in performance????????

Than one can ask;

When does more become less??????????

Overall, it a kinda nice car. I like the aluminum grill and the engine compartment, especially the valve covers. Now the bad part... I don't like the front fascia, it looks like a lot of cheap plastic, after market, pimp my ride look, and its pretty much the same as it wraps around the sides and back. The center Borla exhaust looks interesting, but not retro to the GT350. I don't agree that the GT500 and GT350 are apples to oranges either. More green apple to red apple and whether it makes more HP than my KR doesn't mean much to me. My car is 3 years older than this one. I Love my 08KR and still feel very lucky to have it in my garage.. Hopefully, there will be people out there that feel the same about the GT350 in their garage :happy feet:

The GT-350 should have came with a naturally aspirated engine that cranks out 450hp or so. That would keep it in line with the original GT-350's. Those cars were light and nimble for track use. They had handling and enough power. The GT-500 was never meant as a track car due to the much heavier big blocks. It's more in line for drag/street racing. Even the 427 Cobras were not good track cars (They were great drag cars though). The 260/289 Cobras set all the records on the track.

This GT-350 is getting away from it's original heritage with a heavy supercharger installed. Ford guys are begging for a N/A engine that cranks out 400+ HP from the factory. The GT-350 should be light and nimble (think SGT) with enough HP to please the masses (something the SGT lacked). It would clearly put that car in a specific category. Heck, even then I would try like hell to add one to the stable.

On that note, I have a feeling Ford will release a BOSS 302 and it will have a 400+ HP N/A engine. A lot of people will be happy with that, including me. I'll try for that BOSS for sure.

It is cool but I think I will keep my KR.

I concur with you. The thought of ever getting rid of my KR never entered my mind. I'm extremely happy with, what I think is the best "new" Shelby released since the S197 style came to be. There is no need defending the KR. Everyone knows it's "The King".

Hi,

I think the GT-350 is a very nice design overall. The brake cooling ducts in the front remind me of the '65 (remember the orignal GT350R's front end treatment). The rear bumper with the back up lights moved down low is a nice touch too and really bring back the original's design. I'm not a big fan of the front spoiler or rocker panels as they're a little too modern for me (and the front looks too low to be practicle), but its nice overall.

The difference, in my opinion, between the GT350 and GT500 are that the GT500 is a pre-title car that is all assembled by Ford (using some Shelby parts) while the GT350 is a post title car that is modded by Shelby's team in Vegas (if I'm not mistaken). I think that means that Shelby's GT350 can compete directly with Ford's GT500 and I'm not sure how much Ford can push back. Someone in a prior post said that Roush wouldn't be allowed by Ford to publish horsepower numbers higher than Ford's GT500 but how much influence does Ford really have over Roush? Anyway, I think its all good and I'm glad to see ole Shel continuing to put out new products. The price will keep the Shelby GT350 fairly exclusive and thats always a good thing.

By the way, I'm still toying with the idea of swaping my factory blower on my KR for the FRPP TVS unit but I don't want to shell out the $17k for the upfitter package. Should I just get the TVS unit from FRPP and have my local Ford dealer install it with the tune or will that somehow kill the value of my KR (even though I would keep the stock blower in case I ever want to go back to the original set up)?

Thanks folks,

Paul

Hi,

I think the GT-350 is a very nice design overall. The brake cooling ducts in the front remind me of the '65 (remember the orignal GT350R's front end treatment). The rear bumper with the back up lights moved down low is a nice touch too and really bring back the original's design. I'm not a big fan of the front spoiler or rocker panels as they're a little too modern for me (and the front looks too low to be practicle), but its nice overall.

The difference, in my opinion, between the GT350 and GT500 are that the GT500 is a pre-title car that is all assembled by Ford (using some Shelby parts) while the GT350 is a post title car that is modded by Shelby's team in Vegas (if I'm not mistaken). I think that means that Shelby's GT350 can compete directly with Ford's GT500 and I'm not sure how much Ford can push back. Someone in a prior post said that Roush wouldn't be allowed by Ford to publish horsepower numbers higher than Ford's GT500 but how much influence does Ford really have over Roush? Anyway, I think its all good and I'm glad to see ole Shel continuing to put out new products. The price will keep the Shelby GT350 fairly exclusive and thats always a good thing.

By the way, I'm still toying with the idea of swaping my factory blower on my KR for the FRPP TVS unit but I don't want to shell out the $17k for the upfitter package. Should I just get the TVS unit from FRPP and have my local Ford dealer install it with the tune or will that somehow kill the value of my KR (even though I would keep the stock blower in case I ever want to go back to the original set up)?

Thanks folks,

Paul

I put the FRPP TVS unit in mine and stored the old one just in case. I did a bunch of things because at the end of the day I want to drive my car and have fun with it. I can replace ll the original parts 20 years from now if I get the urge to sell which I doubt. Anyway check out my profile if you want to see a list of the mods...good luck with your car!

its apple and oranges, the Gt350 is not in competition with the GT500, two very different cars

That's very true...

I love you Amy, but... how many threads were posted on TS about "Which is better, the GT500, or the Shelby GT?" The GT350 and the GT500 aren't going to be in competition in respects to Shelby, but they ARE going to be (with some) against the GT500, and moreover with those that are going to mod the stock Mustang GT (Roush, Saleen, etc.).

I agree with you... I think, no matter whether it's a better car or not, that the GT350 is 1) looking forward to utilizing what technology is giving us NOW (not in '65), and that 2) those looking for a part-for-part remake of the original GT350 need to buy the old school Shelby and leave the 2011 to the future buyers.

Hi,

Thanks folks,

Paul

I know it's funny and maybe not the "majority feeling" but... plain and simple? Just keep you KR stock and see where it comes out in the future - that's what I would do if I had a KR. :shrug: You've got a beautiful thing that may not be the icon right now but in the end? you've still got a KR man!! :yup: I can understand those with 500's upgrading but the KR... something tells me that it's going to be a "stock" item someday.

The KR comes to SAI as a GT500 and is assembled there in Vegas. And I don't see any competition from the GT350 when it comes to my KR. There is no competition, just another bad As_ and fast Ford Shelby that can kick some butt out there on the street.

I am luke warm on the looks of the GT350. However, I'm sure they will sell all 2200. It is a nice car.

IMHO I agree with those that would have liked to see the supercharger dropped and a NA engine instead.

I would not have tried to merge the '65 with the '66 with the '67. Too much. I would have kept it simpple and true to the '25 GT350.

I would have really liked the car better had it been more finely honed for the track with its secondarly talent as a street car.

I would have put on new head, throttle bodies and other tuning parts to bring the power to about 450hp.

I would have focused on lowered performance suspension with watts linkage. Used side exhaust. Race bucket seats. T

I would have used wider tires with retro torque thrust style wheels in anthrosite color.

I would stayed away from all the wings and dams. However the front of the new GT 350 front air innstake is a nice job. I would have used a feathered in hood scoop with a carbon fiber hood for weight savings.

I still like the KR better. Its still the King! :yup:

its apple and oranges, the Gt350 is not in competition with the GT500, two very different cars

+1, All of the Shelby cars have their own niche, personally I like the GTH and SGT with it's history of being dropped shipped from Ford directly to Shelby Automobiles, just like in 1965, 1966, and 1967. I believe it's fantastic that the performance choices today are never ending.. Remember the late 1970's early 80's?? My opinion, get what you want, modify it, hot rod it, keep it stock, race it, park it, just have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The difference, in my opinion, between the GT350 and GT500 are that the GT500 is a pre-title car that is all assembled by Ford (using some Shelby parts)

What "Shelby parts" are used on a GT500???

Other than the SHELBY lettering across the back and the Snake grill/fender emblems, I know of none. And it could be argued that even those aren't "Shelby parts" since I'd order them from Ford if lost/stolen/damaged.

I'd really like to know,

Phill

The SGT, SGT H and KR are shipped to SAI PRE TITLE just like in the 1960s and modified by Shelby and sold through Ford off the floor of the Ford dealer ships. Thats the difference and to many and important difference and keeps those three unique in that regard. Also I think those three Shelby Mustangs are the only pre title Shelby Mustangs modified by Shelby since 1968. That you can't duplicate by yourself by ordering parts out of catelog and as to the KR unless you have a KR you can't get a number of KR specific parts unless you already own a KR. That also separates the KR from the rest. :shades: :rockon:

The rest, while still Shelbys and special cars are all POST title cars.

Post title, pre title........who gives a crap? I went through this as a GT-500 owner having to put up with the SGT owners. This is the bottom line, and listen real close......Are the GT-500's in the "Official Shelby Registry"? The answer to that is "yes" so, case closed !! I'm now a KR owner but i'll still defend the GT-500 owners. The car say's Shelby ffs !

Archived