TEAM SHELBY FORUM

K&N Replacement Filter

J-Train

K&N is not currently listing a filter for this but I got lucky. This is the Filter off my 00 Expedition 5.4L FIPK system. They sotck filter is just a tad bit shorter, and the K&N does away with the screen. Pretty sweet huh! I looked all over for a actual part number stamped on the filter and could not find one, but its the plastic tube FIPK (most expensive) sytem for a 99-02 Expedition w/5/4L

It fits perfect, like it was made to go on there.

JLT Carbon Duct and I am done with the CAI.

dsc04055o.jpg

dsc04054n.jpg

dsc04056r.jpg

K&N is not currently listing a filter for this but I got lucky. This is the Filter off my 00 Expedition 5.4L FIPK system. They sotck filter is just a tad bit shorter, and the K&N does away with the screen. Pretty sweet huh! I looked all over for a actual part number stamped on the filter and could not find one, but its the plastic tube FIPK (most expensive) sytem for a 99-02 Expedition w/5/4L

It fits perfect, like it was made to go on there.

JLT Carbon Duct and I am done with the CAI.

dsc04055o.jpg

dsc04054n.jpg

dsc04056r.jpg

Looks great. Fits seems excellent. Any stats on airflow of this unit vs stock? Any detectable differences while driving? Thanks..

Looks great. Fits seems excellent. Any stats on airflow of this unit vs stock? Any detectable differences while driving? Thanks..

Don't worry about airflow, worry about the size of particles that are filtered (and remember in microns the smaller the number the bigger the particle). If it doesn't equal Ford's OE filtration standards you're basically sandblasting your s/c rotors.................

People need to get off the K&N bandwagon :banghead:

Here is a link to the actual part if you are interested.

http://store.knfilters.com/search/pr...x?Prod=RC-5046

The fit is just a hair loose until you tighten the clamp up, but once the clamp is snug the filter is definately on there good, i tried as I could to ritate the filter on the MAF housing with the clamp snug and could not.

Have not had a chance to do any spirited driving or dyno testing yet, this was litteraly one of those deals where I had the hood to the Expedition open and said, "that looks close to the size of the filter on my new GT500 "and swaped them out, the GT500 filter even fit the FIPK system.

There is always a debate when it comes to the Reusable type filters, do they or don't they filter good enough? I will leave that for adifferent discussion, but for the recreational fair weather use that this car is going to see, I will take my chances, I have always ran them or a equivelant reusable and never had any problems. That's really outside the scope of what this thred was intended to get into.

I for one will not be swaping air filters. The stock unit flows more then enough air to support the HP I am pushing or will ever be pushing. I would rather just buy a new filter then clog up my mass air meter wire with filter oil. Just to much trouble for me. But to each his/her own.

I for one will not be swaping air filters. The stock unit flows more then enough air to support the HP I am pushing or will ever be pushing. I would rather just buy a new filter then clog up my mass air meter wire with filter oil. Just to much trouble for me. But to each his/her own.

I agree with your concern. Especially with the hood to CAI box seal. It might just suck the oil right out of the filter.

I for one will not be swapping air filters. The stock unit flows more then enough air to support the HP I am pushing or will ever be pushing. I would rather just buy a new filter then clog up my mass air meter wire with filter oil. Just to much trouble for me. But to each his/her own.

I'm with you tdusseau on this topic. I used K&N in the past...and I must admit I never felt anything different after wards. I guess I fell prey to all of the hype and whatnot. I eventually went back to the paper type with my old car for the past few years...really could tell no difference. (And I didn't miss that cleaning and oil process)

Also as mentioned by an earlier poster, I believe that screen (that the above filter doesn't have) plays a part in the mass air meter getting an accurate sampling of the air coming in. From what I understand it reduces the turbulence and "straightens" the air coming into the engine.

But as you say too...what ever make the driver of their car happy is what they should do.

I'm with you tdusseau on this topic. I used K&N in the past...and I must admit I never felt anything different after wards. I guess I fell prey to all of the hype and whatnot. I eventually went back to the paper type with my old car for the past few years...really could tell no difference. (And I didn't miss that cleaning and oil process)

Also as mentioned by an earlier poster, I believe that screen (that the above filter doesn't have) plays a part in the mass air meter getting an accurate sampling of the air coming in. From what I understand it reduces the turbulence and "straightens" the air coming into the engine.

But as you say too...what ever make the driver of their car happy is what they should do.

All I can do is try it out and report back to you what I find. Removing the MAF screen has been a long time practice in the Mustang community, so I have seen both sides of thought on that too. I have some other mods on the way, and eventually will get this thing on a dyno but for now I will do some driving and report back if there are any drivabilty issues. Most of the major CAI systems do not have a screen, but I see your point on the airflow turbulence issue.

Don't worry about airflow, worry about the size of particles that are filtered (and remember in microns the smaller the number the bigger the particle). If it doesn't equal Ford's OE filtration standards you're basically sandblasting your s/c rotors.................

People need to get off the K&N bandwagon :banghead:

You're one of the few people I've seen that know this issue.

K&N filters are THE highest *flowing* air filter element on the market. I won't argue that.

The problem is, they are FAR from the highest filtering ability and in fact, pretty far down the list.

I used K&N *exclusively* when I raced (winged dirt track cars) and I think highly of them. But having said that, I cleaned the filter after each and every race AND rebuilt the engine top-end frequently.

I personally would not think about using a K&N on my $55K+ street car. What you save in replacement filter costs will more than cost you in engine damage.

Google K&N filter particulate issues on the Internet and see what you come up with. It's scary.

They are NOT a bad filter, there are just WAY BETTER *filters* (as for actually FILTERING) on the market.

HTH,

Phill Pollard

All I can do is try it out and report back to you what I find. Removing the MAF screen has been a long time practice in the Mustang community, so I have seen both sides of thought on that too. I have some other mods on the way, and eventually will get this thing on a dyno but for now I will do some driving and report back if there are any drivabilty issues. Most of the major CAI systems do not have a screen, but I see your point on the airflow turbulence issue.

Sorry guys, but what's a MAF screen? I don't see it.

Sorry guys, but what's a MAF screen? I don't see it.

If you pull the OEM filter off and look inside the filter there is a large weave screen in there, most of the MAF screens I have see in the past had much smaller weave pattern for what its worth. It is there to smooth airflow going to the sensor. I drove the car, rather spirited this afternoon, and really to be honest it felt exactly the same, maybe just a tad bit more blower whine, but that was probably just cause I had the radio off listening to the car.

You're one of the few people I've seen that know this issue.

K&N filters are THE highest *flowing* air filter element on the market. I won't argue that.

The problem is, they are FAR from the highest filtering ability and in fact, pretty far down the list.

I used K&N *exclusively* when I raced (winged dirt track cars) and I think highly of them. But having said that, I cleaned the filter after each and every race AND rebuilt the engine top-end frequently.

I personally would not think about using a K&N on my $55K+ street car. What you save in replacement filter costs will more than cost you in engine damage.

Google K&N filter particulate issues on the Internet and see what you come up with. It's scary.

They are NOT a bad filter, there are just WAY BETTER *filters* (as for actually FILTERING) on the market.

HTH,

Phill Pollard

A friend of mine is the owner of one of the largest s/c remanufacturing companies in the country. When his guys pull a s/c apart, they can tell just by looking at the rotors and case whether someone was using a K&N filter. He will call the owner up and ask them if they indeed have that filter and they are amazed that he could "guess" what brand.

He says the same as you, it's a good "racing" filter; not a good everyday filter. But if you want to keep him in business, he'll have no complaints :hysterical:

Hope things work the way that you want them to. I'm just satisfied with my car the way it is and really have no need to seek greater performance.

As far as the air turbulence...it just seemed to make sense to me. I'm not an expert..but I've been around mustangs for about 20 years...and the poster "Mixxer" would seem to be a more than knowledgable person on the subject. And also what "sprint200" said about his buddies being able to tell if the person was using a K&N filter by looking at the Supercharger..would have me a bit concerned.

Anyhow..great discussion on this subject guys. :reading:

Archived