TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT FOR AUTOCROSS

Mustang DAN

I autocrossed mine a few times, it was a hoot! The SGT dominates F-Stock. Google "Sam Strano" he is the National Champion and he drives a SGT in F-Stock. The SGT is legendary at autocross. My instructor the first time I went out bought one after driving mine. They are superbly fun and easy to drive fast in comparison to other cars...Welcome and Cheers!

The SGT is a great autocross car; I've really enjoyed it. It was also great at the track day I did. Only problem I have is that the stock all-weather tires are not up to the task; to be truly competitive you will need the sticky tires. Of course, that's true regardless of car and class. I hope to autocross mine a couple of times again this year; finding the time is the hard part.

just got the SC, so I don't know where I might fall.

The supercharger kicks you up to Street Modified, a nasty, nasty class. No modified mustangs

are competitive in SM at the regional or national levels. Lightweight, high HP, AWD cars rule the

roost for the most part, but that doesn't mean it won't be fun beating drivers who should be better.

Or beating comparable cars (heavy, high HP, RWD)... or having a blast challenging yourself to

things in an SGT/SC that 99.9% of Mustang owners would not believe was possible.

-Tom

DeWayne

How did you like tracking your car in Las Vegas last week, as to autocrossing it ?

Chris

Autocross is very tight. I don't think I ever made it out of second gear. It is similar to the track, just much shorter and tighter and you are all by yourself. The track let's you really open it up. To me it is all about challenging myself and the car, not others. The one thing I didn't like about the track was "traffic". The one good run I got on the track was right behind the pace car - until we caught up to the end of the group. I like them both as long as the track is clear.

The supercharger kicks you up to Street Modified, a nasty, nasty class. No modified mustangs

are competitive in SM at the regional or national levels. Lightweight, high HP, AWD cars rule the

roost for the most part, but that doesn't mean it won't be fun beating drivers who should be better.

Or beating comparable cars (heavy, high HP, RWD)... or having a blast challenging yourself to

things in an SGT/SC that 99.9% of Mustang owners would not believe was possible.

-Tom

That's what I thought I heard - I don't stand a chance against others. But I'm not in it to win anything, just to have fun and challenge myself and the car and learn its capabilities

• 2 months later...

Bump so the SC puts you in street modified? What is the SCCA street tire class for? I am thinking of hitting the Autocross next weekend...Thanks!

Yes, Street Modified (SM) is one of few classes that allow a major mod like a supercharger. It is pretty much

an unlimited class, so the highest HP combined with lowest weight will tend to dominate.

The Street Tire (ST) class was created to attract the younger, import-tuner crowd that may have sunk more money

into looks than performance, and wasn't interested in sinking another $2K in wheels and R-tires that couldn't

be shown off. This was before Drift became all the rave. Of course, in the end it gave the hard core racers yet

another avenue to dominate and intimidate the new guys entering the sport.

I plan to enter as many F Stock (FS) SCCA events as I can this year since the SGT is tried and true (and a big

reason why I bought it).

Good luck next weekend.

-Tom

Bump so the SC puts you in street modified? What is the SCCA street tire class for? I am thinking of hitting the Autocross next weekend...Thanks!

Look into the NASA events while you're at it. I've enjoyed NASA track days much more than any SCCA event thus far. Good luck Randy.

Unfortunately my brake upgrades (drilled rotors) now put me in the "modified" class, I believe, although they won't make a hill of beans difference in times. The weak spot is my BFG all-season tires! :hysterical:

Unfortunately my brake upgrades (drilled rotors) now put me in the "modified" class, I believe, although they won't make a hill of beans difference in times. The weak spot is my BFG all-season tires! :hysterical:

Bob,

Reading the 2010 SCCA rules, your car can race in Street Touring U (STU). Now those BFGs will still be a weak spot

in STU compared to most max summer performance street tires, but the difference as you know with R compond tires

is much more.

Have you participated in any events up here at Devens before?

-Tom

Thanks Guys! I'd agree Ken last weekend was way way fun! I am just in for any track experience as I can find it before full on boating season starts...

The car is an absolute animal...Brakes please....

I like that racing attitude... not to discount Ken's preference (and he's right in that more seat time can equate to more

fun), but for me the thrill of going head-to-head against equivalent cars even for such a short spurt is too much to pass

up. But the SGT is such a great ride, why limit it at all. So in addition to autocross and a possible track day this season,

I'm taking it to the strip as well, which will be new for me.

Have you looked into autocross events put on by SVT/Cobra/Mustang groups? The classes and courses are tailored

more for our cars that translates to more speed and length.

-Tom

Archived