TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fun with COPS in Colorado

matyellott

O3 Reptile,

Giving tickets is what a lot of cops do. I have family and friends who are cops...I am giving you my insight as a citizen.

And I do not know who you hang out with, but my friends are not hypocrites either.

He was complaining, period.

I am not a hypocrite my word is my bond I do what I say and I live by it.

Giving tickets for speeding and then speeding is hypocritical.

When a citizen sees this it never endears the badge to them as you are being paid with our tax money.

Some of us pay a whole lot of it as well. Way more than a veteran cops yearly salary and you know what?

We do not get to speed whenever we want without consequence, or get to punch some fool without consequence for disrespecting us...

If that is unacceptable to you I suggest you think about it and refer to the above sentence.

If this still does not seem acceptable to you I suggest you find someone to read it and explain it to you.

Futher I would add that if I did not spend about a yearly cops salary on Insurance for all my activities I would gladly pay the fine if I was actually speeding, its the insurance hit that is the problem for most. It is a total scam.

Further driving a car designed for high speed in a safe manner 10 mph over the limit is safer than being pulled over and stopping on the side of a hwy to have an intellectually asinine conversation anyway...IMHO.

I would not have a job that made me a hypocrite, plain and simple.

Good luck with that.

You have my compassion and understanding. I would hope that you might find the same towards others and why the responses here are not what you feel is a suitable one.

edit: I forgot I want to add I would have not followed an officer like this to even get the ticket, I would have TURNED. hysterical.gif

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O3 Reptile,

Giving tickets is what a lot of cops do. I have family and friends who are cops...I am giving you my insight as a citizen.

And I do not know who you hang out with, but my friends are not hypocrites either.

When a citizen sees this it never endears the badge to them as you are being paid with our tax money.

Some of us pay a whole lot of it as well. Way more than a veteran cops yearly salary and you know what?

We do not get to speed whenever we want without consequence, or get to punch some fool without consequence for disrespecting us...

If that is unacceptable to you I suggest you think about it and refer to the above sentence.

If this still does not seem acceptable to you I suggest you find someone to read it and explain it to you.

Futher I would add that if I did not spend about a yearly cops salary on Insurance for all my activities I would gladly pay the fine if I was actually speeding, its the insurance hit that is the problem for most. It is a total scam.

Further driving a car designed for high speed in a safe manner 10 mph over the limit is safer than being pulled over and stopping on the side of a hwy to have an intellectually asinine conversation anyway...IMHO.

Good luck with that.

You have my compassion and understanding. I would hope that you might find the same towards others and why the responses here are not what you feel is a suitable one.

edit: I forgot I want to add I would have not followed an officer like this to even get the ticket, I would have TURNED. hysterical.gif

O3 Reptile,

Good luck with that.

I'm not sure how to react to your response, as its frought with generalizations. Police officer aren't allowed to speed or assault others without consequence, either. There are plenty of officers that can attest to that statement. Ever heard of IAD ? I'm somewhat sceptical about your assertion of having family and or friends in law enforcement. If you really do, show them your thread responses and mine, and see what they say. I'm simply saying that in a perfect world no one would possess faults. Its not perfect. I certainly agree that Insurance costs are a big problem for us all. If you pay the equivalent of an average LEO's annual salary then you must be quite wealthy. I think its best to agree to disagree as the later portion of your response began bordering on disrespectful and I won't respond to that. Sorry you have had negative experiences in the past and hold the opinions you do. I can't change that. The originator of this thread is well known for his dis-like of LEO's and his historical posts have reflected that. His behavior got him the ticket...no more, no less.

I'm not sure how to react to your response, as its frought with generalizations. Police officer aren't allowed to speed or assault others without consequence, either. There are plenty of officers that can attest to that statement. Ever heard of IAD ? I'm somewhat sceptical about your assertion of having family and or friends in law enforcement. If you really do, show them your thread responses and mine, and see what they say. I'm simply saying that in a perfect world no one would possess faults. Its not perfect. I certainly agree that Insurance costs are a big problem for us all. If you pay the equivalent of an average LEO's annual salary then you must be quite wealthy. I think its best to agree to disagree as the later portion of your response began bordering on disrespectful and I won't respond to that. Sorry you have had negative experiences in the past and hold the opinions you do. I can't change that. The originator of this thread is well known for his dis-like of LEO's and his historical posts have reflected that. His behavior got him the ticket...no more, no less.

Well past posting on this forum by other law enforcement officers would contradict your second sentence.

So I found this boarderline disrespectful.

"If thats unacceptable to you, refer to my third sentence."

I am saddened that your past experience makes you so skeptical, but in all honesty your just some cop on the forum who I have never met and I seriously think you are kidding yourself if you think your second sentence above is true.

I will say that I have been in a car more than once in the past where the drivers badge got us out of trouble.

I watch youtube and I read the newspaper. Whatever. Search "bad cop" on youtube, video does not lie.

There are many many wonderful people working in your chosen career, but in this case the officer writing the ticket was and is a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

I forgot...I googled average officers salary, and it is more than I thought, so your right I am not paying 50k a year for insurance but it is closer to that then I'd like....I own things and have employees.

Wealth like everything else is relative. I sure don't feel like I am wealthy.

Well past posting on this forum by other law enforcement officers would contradict your second sentence.

So I found this boarderline disrespectful.

"If thats unacceptable to you, refer to my third sentence."

I am saddened that your past experience makes you so skeptical, but in all honesty your just some cop on the forum who I have never met and I seriously think you are kidding yourself if you think your second sentence above is true.

I will say that I have been in a car more than once in the past where the drivers badge got us out of trouble.

I watch youtube and I read the newspaper. Whatever. Search "bad cop" on youtube, video does not lie.

There are many many wonderful people working in your chosen career, but in this case the officer writing the ticket was and is a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

I guess we've come to an impass of reasoning. If my post offended you; sorry, that was not my intent. In any career track, you can find exceptions, certainly in mine, given the power police possess. I'll grant you that. "Professional Courtesy" which you describe, is found in most professions. If you own a business and give a close friend a break on the price of your retail product does that make you hypocritical if you sell the same product to Joe Blow citizen at your normal price? He might think thats somewhat unfair. (Sorry that the best analogy I could think of!) If a Police Officer is violating the law, off duty, another Officer may or may not issue a ticket. Some do and some don't. If he is on duty then any citizens observing can take his tag or unit # and report same. It will get looked into by his supervisor. It sure does in my department. Officers also give citizens tons of warnings and free passes for minor and moderate infractions. I worked for a large Dept., so I speak only from that experience and I stand by my statement. If a citizen complains, and follows the proper procedures, (very simple and straightforward) it is handled. Major Depts. all have specific procedures in place and they work. I'm not skeptical, well maybe a little; twentyfive years in homicide will do that to you, but its always good to look at all aspects of an issue before passing judgement. The original poster gave his side. We don't know why the officer was above the limit. There are many legitimate reasons for that. If he was speeding for no reason, then to give Mattyellott a ticket was hypocritical, and Mattyellott will surely get his day in court to find the answer. But somehow I think that was not the case. Anyway...... Lets just agree that we love our Shelby's and enjoy driving them. Thats a no brainer and I'm just waiting for the new Shelby order bank to open so I can order the 2011. We are all car guys/girls and thats a common denominator we all have on this site. Enjoyed the exchange of ideas and opinions. Thats why I love this country and this forum.

Sorry if you felt offended as well.

Again I was just giving you guys an average Joe Blow Hotrodder insight as to alleged speeding and officer reactions.

It is interesting to note however, that you are somehow sure that the officer was not speeding for the hell of it, eventhough he had time to jawjack with our ticket winner here.

Also there is no law that says how much profit I should accept for my products. But I do get your drift, and you are right its a bad analogy.

A better one is my business cutting a guy a price break and then stealing from my supplier and every casual observer knowing that I never paid the supplier. Thus breaking the law while gaining a lot of mistrust from the public towards my company.

Like you said an impass is cool, and I am not surprised you are OK with that at this point in our little debate.

My good friend is a public defender and they see what giving a cop lip gets you sometimes. That is how I became aware of the youtube "bad cop" videos as I did not believe what they were telling me.

And in fairness I will add I have gotten the pass a few times in my life from officers concerning being marginally over the speedlimit accidentally. Its easy to do sometimes for us all, cruising along in traffic that is all speeding as well. Speedlimits are what they are.

I am with you 100% we all enjoy Shelbys here (not surprisingly there are a lot of LEO's on this forum) and thanks for capturing murders, a much better use of resources than writing tickets in hot and uncomfortably itchy polyester get ups while questioning people for being 5mph over.

Cheers!

Sorry if you felt offended as well.

Again I was just giving you guys an average Joe Blow Hotrodder insight as to alleged speeding and officer reactions.

It is interesting to note however, that you are somehow sure that the officer was not speeding for the hell of it, eventhough he had time to jawjack with our ticket winner here.

Also there is no law that says how much profit I should accept for my products. But I do get your drift, and you are right its a bad analogy.

A better one is my business cutting a guy a price break and then stealing from my supplier and every casual observer knowing that I never paid the supplier. Thus breaking the law while gaining a lot of mistrust from the public towards my company.

Like you said an impass is cool, and I am not surprised you are OK with that at this point in our little debate.

My good friend is a public defender and they see what giving a cop lip gets you sometimes. That is how I became aware of the youtube "bad cop" videos as I did not believe what they were telling me.

And in fairness I will add I have gotten the pass a few times in my life from officers concerning being marginally over the speedlimit accidentally. Its easy to do sometimes for us all, cruising along in traffic that is all speeding as well. Speedlimits are what they are.

I am with you 100% we all enjoy Shelbys here (not surprisingly there are a lot of LEO's on this forum) and thanks for capturing murders, a much better use of resources than writing tickets in hot and uncomfortably itchy polyester get ups while questioning people for being 5mph over.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply and response. I'd counsel some healthy skepticism in accepting all you see on the "bad Cop" youtube videos. Some of these videos are edited by the persons providing them in order to strengthen their point, I.E. editing out some of the officers words or actions in order to make them look more unreasonable or otherwise. Not saying all of them are doctored, but some; definitely. I appreciate your thanks for what I did for the majority of my career, and our State Troopers who work traffic only also deserve a nod for what they do, and risk, keeping our highways safe from DWI's and those who simply drive like irresponsible idiots. We've both seen plenty of them. I think you'll find most Officers don't write a ticket unless you're at least 10 or 15 mph over the posted speed limit, especially out on the open highway. To write someone for 5 over in police parlance is "chicken Shit" and the source of ridicule from their fellow officers. Also, the Judges don't like to see this type of ticket unless there are very extenuating circumstances surrounding their issuance. Bottom line is a Trooper can usually write all he wants for 20 mph over and more, and throw back the rest, in fishing terms. I personally don't like the use of radar as I think it tends to make the Officers lazy, keeps them out of the public eye so they don't have an opportunity to observe traffic infractions while driving their cruisers, and thus miss opportunities to observe dangerous drivers and people broken down or needing help. But thats just me, as Dennis Miller is so fond of saying. Radar generates a lot of money for the State coffers and like it or not , money drives State and local governments. Again, it was fun exchanging banter with you and I'm glad we part mutually respectful of one another's concerns and opinions. Oftentimes my past career didn't allow that. Be safe out there amongst em! Oh yes, one last thought on one of your comments in reference to Matyellott's situation. As described, he followed the officer for a good distance at a fairly close interval by his own description and addmission. Any Officer worth his salt lives in the rear-view mirror and if he were speeding with no justification, he would have slowed to the speed limit or below anticipating that the car behind was pacing him in order to file a complaint. It happens. However, that didn't occur in his situation. I think Matyellott was doing his own little pace and got a ticket for his trouble. Thanks again and good luck to you.

hysterical.gif I almost lost it reading your post...I once asked an officer exactly that when getting a ticket about 10 years ago in a project car for going 5 over..."hey isn't this kind of a chicken shit ticket?" verbatim...hysterical.gif

He was looking for proof of insurance and a license no doubt (horrible looking car) but despite me being polite I got the 5 over ticket...

Yep hot rodders and cops still at it since the first highboy was built...

DWI and reckless are different deals but speeding in a car that is very safe at 10 over is a law that should be looked at.

Cheers! You are tuning in to the GT350 feed?

hysterical.gif I almost lost it reading your post...I once asked an officer exactly that when getting a ticket about 10 years ago in a project car for going 5 over..."hey isn't this kind of a chicken shit ticket?" verbatim...hysterical.gif

He was looking for proof of insurance and a license no doubt (horrible looking car) but despite me being polite I got the 5 over ticket...

DWI and reckless are different deals but speeding in a car that is very safe at 10 over is a law that should be looked at.

[/quote

Yep, sure am. I agree that 10 over on an clear and safe highway is not a big problem. Visited Germany for three weeks with my best (German) friend two years ago and boy do they have it right. Driving the autobahn all over the country in a fast and safe Mercedes was more fun then I deserved. Too bad we can't have a similar system over here, but that opens a whole new subject of American driver training compared with the German method.

[/quote

Yep, sure am. I agree that 10 over on an clear and safe highway is not a big problem. Visited Germany for three weeks with my best (German) friend two years ago and boy do they have it right. Driving the autobahn all over the country in a fast and safe Mercedes was more fun then I deserved. Too bad we can't have a similar system over here, but that opens a whole new subject of American driver training compared with the German method.

I agree...my dog speaks German...;).

Are you serious???

Voting and the freedom of speech are covered by the US Constitution. Last time I read the Constitution it didn't say anything about your rights to drive a car. That's why you have to get a driver's license, because the State is granting you the privilege to drive. Just saying!

Mike

When the Constitution was wrote horses where the mode of transportation and they where smart enough to know that right didn't need to be in the Constitution unlike the kind of law makers we have today. Today the mode of transport is mainly by car. If I pass all of their tests and I drive reasonable I have the RIGHT to drive. You sound like a leo or a smart a$$ lawyer that takes and a pile of $hit and says it smells like roses. Now I'am going out to the barn and jump on my wild horse that has the power of 500 horses and exercise my RIGHTS reasonably. :shift: Have fun riding your Mule and enjoy the pile of roses :salute:

You "don't like cops"? Sorry to hear this. Cops are just like all other people and have good and bad days and some are competent and common sense and others are not, but 99% are there for you and speaking from personal experience as a former "cop" / retired from big city CA. it is a thankless job and unless you've actually been there, you have no clue what the stress is like. Sounds like you may have said some dumb things to get yourself into a misunderstanding with the cop that will NOT work out in your favor. Hope you take a good look at life and your responsibility to abide by the law as a responsible person in the future. You do not know or is it your concern why the officer was exceeding the speed limit red lights or not, but I would have done what someone else quoted on this thread, either do not exceed the speed limit or turn off somewhere. My 2 cents.

Steve

AZ.

+1000. You don't like cops. Humm, let me see, you don't like guys and gals that would give their life for someone they don't even know. People that use deadly force to save an innocent life then are raked over the coals in the liberal media and general public for doing it. Yea, I can see why you wouldn't like those types.

Seriously, attitude is everything. From your blanket statement, I'm sure your attitude came through loud and clear. No, the cop wasn't right for speeding, and you should bring that up in court. But, it appears as if you exacerbated the situation.

All the other circumstances aside, you still tailgated another vehicle for 10 miles, at 80MPH...that’s 8 minutes of tailgating. I would have been spraying your ass with washer fluid for the last 9 minutes of that episode. If I were a cop, I would have pulled you over a lot earlier then he did.

The best advice you’re gonna get on this forum is to avoid the cops by keeping a low profile. It’s tough enough to do that in these cars, but tailgating a cop is an easy way to get yourself noticed be Johnny law. Now, because you wanted to be some tough guy and try to pace the cop car yourself, you have to hire a lawyer go to court, pay the fines, and cause yourself a huge amount of unnecessary aggravation. You should have dropped back out of the officers sights.

Even if this cop is ticked/fined/suspended, will it really make it worth your actions? Will it make it worth the lawyer’s fees, fines, and lost time just to see him punished? I can’t see how it could because what happens to the cop will have absolutely no bearing on your life.

You say you were in the USMC and I thank you for your service to this country. It’s surprising though that someone with service experience would have such a problem with authority, which you clearly do. Your actions on the road, what you’ve said about cops in this thread, and your persistence in shifting the focus from what you did wrong to what the cop was doing wrong illustrates clearly your problem with authority

In the future, just worry about yourself as it’s your actions and only your actions that you can control.

"Even if this cop is ticked/fined/suspended, will it really make it worth your actions?" I do believe that it will, I am not vendicative in that I want to hurt this guy, but if what I was doing is wrong and I have to pay for it I do beieve he should be held to the same if not higher standards.

"You say you were in the USMC and I thank you for your service to this country. It’s surprising though that someone with service experience would have such a problem with authority, which you clearly do. Your actions on the road, what you’ve said about cops in this thread, and your persistence in shifting the focus from what you did wrong to what the cop was doing wrong illustrates clearly your problem with authority."

I have not shifted the focus I did say that what I did was wrong and I am more then happy to pay for it, if it would have been a simple stationary rader gun and a normal traffic stop i would not have had an issue. As it is the circumstances where a little differnt that what I have run into in my 14 years of driving. As far as my problem with authority it really depends on the authority in question, I do question authority and the limits of people in a position of authority in our culture, and i do set my own definitions as far as the level of respect I will give them. I have a deep respct for the military as some of the best people I have know are from the military. I did not grow up with the current point of view I have about police it was built from years of interactions, and from personal experiances as well as those of my freinds. In the end I have no clue what will happen, I have noticed that some of the law enforcement guys on the board have spoken about respecting the badge, I suppose I do understand that point of view, but what about the badge resping the citizens that they serve? Why the rude approach? Why not have an honest dialouge with a tax paying citizen of this nation when they pull them over?

Cop: "I caught you going 85 in a 75 any reason for that"?

Citizen: "Sorry sir I was just going with the flow of traffic and trying to get to work"

Cop: "I understand we are all in a hurry, just slow it down for everyone's benefit, okay?"

Citizen: "Yes sir, thanks i did not realize I was going so fast"

there seems to be a sense from some people in law enforcemt that repect is part of their compensation package, as thanks should be. Police make a good living and honestly get a lot of breaks in life (no tickets, discounted car loans, discounted/free restaurant food, etc) The friends that I do have that are cops have gotten away with things that would make some people heads spin, such as dui, excessive speeding, fist fights, etc. The main issue in this case is the feeling that some officers of the law beilieve that they are above the law, as an American that turns my gut, justice is supposed to be blind. America is the greatest country in the world not beuase if it laws but becuase of it's rights. My only point is that since what I was doing was indeed wrong then what the appointed officer of the law was doing was also wrong, equal rights and equal protections under the law is what I am arguing. I broke the law so did the officer, he deserves the same fine and insurance increse that I do, that is all I am saying.

I've always thought it was funny how the people who complain about law enforcement speeding are always the first one to cry about why it took so long for us to get there when they need us. People also forget that a drivers license is a privilege that can be taken away by the state at any time, it is not a "right." My two cents on this subject that may or may not help is this. At least where I work, when your dispatched to a call you are also told what Code to run. Code 1= get there when you can, don't exceed the speed limit, Code 2=you are allowed to exceed the speed limit (even without your lights and siren on) and use your lights and siren only to clear traffic out of your way, then proceed without them on again, Code 3=lights and siren and get there as fast and safe as possible.

I'm not gonna sit here and defend 100% of law enforcement because just like the rest of society we have our bad apples. But I will say the next time you see a law enforcement officer speeding with no lights and siren running, chances are there on the way to a call.

Last thing is this, your mother, wife or daughter is broke down in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire in the middle of the night. Do you want me doing the speed limit to get there?

"Last thing is this, your mother, wife or daughter is broke down in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire in the middle of the night. Do you want me doing the speed limit to get there?"

I have AAA.

"People also forget that a drivers license is a privilege that can be taken away by the state at any time, it is not a "right."

How do you figure, that driving on publicly funded roads, in a private vehicle, with the gas that i have bought, is a privage? The goverment does not give me my privileges I give them theirs. Just becuase under the right circumstances the law can take something away does not make it a privage, by the logic since under the right circumsatnce the goverment can take away a persons life (capital punishment) does that mean that my life itself is a "privlage" given to me by the state? Somewhere along the line a lot of people seemed to have forgotten the way all of this was supposed to work, the goverment was supposed to play almost no role in my day to day life, cities now use fines as a primary source of revenue next to land taxes. Our nation has more people in the justice system then any other developed nation, most of whom are aferican american or latino, someting is broke, and I believe it is worth fixing.

"'The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

"Last thing is this, your mother, wife or daughter is broke down in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire in the middle of the night. Do you want me doing the speed limit to get there?"

I have AAA.

"People also forget that a drivers license is a privilege that can be taken away by the state at any time, it is not a "right."

How do you figure, that driving on publicly funded roads, in a private vehicle, with the gas that i have bought, is a privage? The goverment does not give me my privileges I give them theirs. Just becuase under the right circumstances the law can take something away does not make it a privage, by the logic since under the right circumsatnce the goverment can take away a persons life (capital punishment) does that mean that my life itself is a "privlage" given to me by the state? Somewhere along the line a lot of people seemed to have forgotten the way all of this was supposed to work, the goverment was supposed to play almost no role in my day to day life, cities now use fines as a primary source of revenue next to land taxes. Our nation has more people in the justice system then any other developed nation, most of whom are aferican american or latino, someting is broke, and I believe it is worth fixing.

"'The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Suggestion: Quit wining about getting caught and pay or fight the fine. Next time you drive on the road, don't pay attention to any speed limit, just drive as fast as you can and as fast as you think is safe. You have a very mixed up view of freedom that is only from YOUR side. Screw anyone else on the roads, right, you can drive the way you see fit right? If everyone was allowed to do this don't you think we'd have a major problem of people getting injured or killed by drivers like you? Pedal to the metal "dude".

I have AAA.

Sounds like you should be up in the Idaho mountains writing a manifesto...

Suggestion: Quit wining about getting caught and pay or fight the fine. Next time you drive on the road, don't pay attention to any speed limit, just drive as fast as you can and as fast as you think is safe. You have a very mixed up view of freedom that is only from YOUR side. Screw anyone else on the roads, right, you can drive the way you see fit right? If everyone was allowed to do this don't you think we'd have a major problem of people getting injured or killed by drivers like you? Pedal to the metal "dude".

Jeus really, how many times do I have to say WHAT I DID WAS WRONG!!! I will pay the fine and since you think people who don't agree with you are "whining" the don't feel the need to reply. The issue for me, again, is what the cops did was just as wrong. I have no issue paying the G.D. fine. And my view is freedom is equaility, not "do as I say not as i do" I have the same issue with people such as Ted Kennedy who pass "tough" DWI rules meanwhile he downed an election staffer becuase he was housed. I was wrong, I was speeding i will pay the fine. I started the statement saying I diden't like cops becuase I wanted you to know right off the bat where i was coming from, these are my experiances, as I said I did not start off have a negative view of law enforcement this view has been gained via evaulation and personal situations. Anyway rant over for those who wanted an updated here it is.

My wife and i went to the CHP Castlerock office this afternoon, it was actully a very positive experiance the guy we spoke to was a captain, he was very personable, and very professional. My wife and I went through the story and he stopped use several times to ask questions and jot down notes, he also made a copy of my ticket. When we asked about the cops speed and that we were behind him he said "Yeah you drive a shelby, he was most lokly trying to see if he could make you speed up so he could get you", My wife asked it that was legal and he said "that depends on a few factors but I will talk to the officer", agin this guy was breath of fresh air the conversation was plesent if not a bit light hearted, the captain was a pilot so we talked about that for a few minutes. the capt actually admitted that if it was just our word vs the guy that pulled us over it would not go well for us in court. my wife replied with "so we are guilty unless we can provide evidene" and he replied with "well sort of", agin open and honest. Here in Colorado if you pay the fine within 20 days and do not go to court the points are reduced from 4 to 2 in this case, I asked what that was and the Captain replied with "Well the state wants your money, we certinly don't see much of it". As we were getting ready to leave the Captain suggested that we file a complaint if we were really unhappy which we did. At the end of the meeting the Captain called in a sgt to take the compliant, it was then and only then that thigs got a little tense. The Sgt looked at the compliant and said "Are you two lying", my wife replied "Why would we take time out of our day to come down here and lie"? To which the sgt said something like "becuase you got a ticket and you are mad you got caught", my response we "I have no problem with the ticket just the manner if which the officer caught me." the Sgt then said "because if you are lying we will come after you". At this point the Captain could sense things were getting ugly and dismissed the Sgt. Being a bit upset with the way in which the SGT handled us I said to the captian "that is why we are taking the time to talk to you". Overall pretty positive experiance, I will end up just paying the fine, and I will take the advice of some on these board and turn when I see a cop moving forward. Thanks all happy driving as things thaw out.

I have AAA.

+10000000000000000000000000000

I'am glad somebody out there knows the difference between rights and privileges. I think some out there is from Russia or Iran where only government has rights. If the USA keeps thinking the government GIVES out privileges there will not be any rights left. :banghead:

Jeus really, how many times do I have to say WHAT I DID WAS WRONG!!! I will pay the fine and since you think people who don't agree with you are "whining" the don't feel the need to reply. The issue for me, again, is what the cops did was just as wrong. I have no issue paying the G.D. fine. And my view is freedom is equaility, not "do as I say not as i do" I have the same issue with people such as Ted Kennedy who pass "tough" DWI rules meanwhile he downed an election staffer becuase he was housed. I was wrong, I was speeding i will pay the fine. I started the statement saying I diden't like cops becuase I wanted you to know right off the bat where i was coming from, these are my experiances, as I said I did not start off have a negative view of law enforcement this view has been gained via evaulation and personal situations. Anyway rant over for those who wanted an updated here it is.

My wife and i went to the CHP Castlerock office this afternoon, it was actully a very positive experiance the guy we spoke to was a captain, he was very personable, and very professional. My wife and I went through the story and he stopped use several times to ask questions and jot down notes, he also made a copy of my ticket. When we asked about the cops speed and that we were behind him he said "Yeah you drive a shelby, he was most lokly trying to see if he could make you speed up so he could get you", My wife asked it that was legal and he said "that depends on a few factors but I will talk to the officer", agin this guy was breath of fresh air the conversation was plesent if not a bit light hearted, the captain was a pilot so we talked about that for a few minutes. the capt actually admitted that if it was just our word vs the guy that pulled us over it would not go well for us in court. my wife replied with "so we are guilty unless we can provide evidene" and he replied with "well sort of", agin open and honest. Here in Colorado if you pay the fine within 20 days and do not go to court the points are reduced from 4 to 2 in this case, I asked what that was and the Captain replied with "Well the state wants your money, we certinly don't see much of it". As we were getting ready to leave the Captain suggested that we file a complaint if we were really unhappy which we did. At the end of the meeting the Captain called in a sgt to take the compliant, it was then and only then that thigs got a little tense. The Sgt looked at the compliant and said "Are you two lying", my wife replied "Why would we take time out of our day to come down here and lie"? To which the sgt said something like "becuase you got a ticket and you are mad you got caught", my response we "I have no problem with the ticket just the manner if which the officer caught me." the Sgt then said "because if you are lying we will come after you". At this point the Captain could sense things were getting ugly and dismissed the Sgt. Being a bit upset with the way in which the SGT handled us I said to the captian "that is why we are taking the time to talk to you". Overall pretty positive experiance, I will end up just paying the fine, and I will take the advice of some on these board and turn when I see a cop moving forward. Thanks all happy driving as things thaw out.

Matyellowtt:

I've got a suggestion since I have some experience. Call the Captain back and ask him to specifically determine if the Trooper had a legitimate excuse to be driving at that speed. This will address your complaint. His Sgt. will contact him, explain your complaint, and the Trooper will have to give him an answer. If he was legitimately speeding, its mute and just pay the fine. If not, the likelyhood is your citation may very well get dismissed, I would assume (dangerous word) that the CHP has a specific procedure in place for filing a complaint against Officer behavior. All you can do is ask politely and see what happens. Its not a big deal for them but I understand your frustration. You should get an answer prior to a court date.

Matyellowtt:

I've got a suggestion since I have some experience. Call the Captain back and ask him to specifically determine if the Trooper had a legitimate excuse to be driving at that speed. This will address your complaint. His Sgt. will contact him, explain your complaint, and the Trooper will have to give him an answer. If he was legitimately speeding, its mute and just pay the fine. If not, the likelyhood is your citation may very well get dismissed, I would assume (dangerous word) that the CHP has a specific procedure in place for filing a complaint against Officer behavior. All you can do is ask politely and see what happens. Its not a big deal for them but I understand your frustration. You should get an answer prior to a court date.

Thanks for the advice, I appricate everything guys.

I have talked with my local PD about the same things. The officer makes their own decisions what they want to do. If the speed limit is 35 mph, 55 mph or 70 mph and you exceed this, you will get a ticket. Is it right that they can go faster than the posted speed limit, NO. But they do. In our local Mustang club, we have some PD and sheriff's in the group. They have been pulled over on cruises by the local PD and have always escape from a ticket. Why? Because they have that special wallet with that shiney badge in it. Is that right? No.

To be safe, which I do, is to push the limits of the law. I will do the exact speed limit, but get there a fast as I can. I have numerouse times, on purpose, take off from a light to be the first one across the other cross walk. What can the officer do about that? Nothing, as long as I did not spin my tires or exceed the posted limit.

I say, Drive Safe and have fun within the posted speed limit.

Tom

I'm with you Tom.

Unless you are traveling cross-country, offending the speed limit by more than 10-15 mph isn't going to get you anywhere all that faster. Do the math. Let's say you have 15 miles to travel, at 70 that's 12.8 minutes, at 85 you get there in 10.5 minutes. Is two minutes savings really worth it? Besides, wouldn't you rather be on the road driving your car, instead of getting there?

On the other hand, a quick sprint to the next light is always satisfying!

Ray

• 4 weeks later...

+10000000000000000000000000000

I'am glad somebody out there knows the difference between rights and privileges. I think some out there is from Russia or Iran where only government has rights. If the USA keeps thinking the government GIVES out privileges there will not be any rights left. :banghead:

I enjoy reading these discussions about rights vs. privileges. I have a brother who feels similarly to some of the thoughts expressed here. He and I have had some interesting discussions about whether driving is a "right" or a "privilege". He is intelligent and capable of arguing cogent points over this, but where he is unable to get around the “privilege” argument is this: The Constitution (supreme law of the land for those of you wondering about its place in society) gives specific powers to the federal government (the usurping of many others by the federal government is a different discussion entirely) and retains the remainder for the STATES (intentional capitalization), not the individuals. In fact, individuals had no specifically delineated “rights” in the Constitution as originally written; the First 10 AMENDMENTS (more intentional capitalization—amendments meaning “changes”) give us our “Bill of Rights” as individuals.

The primary concern of the framers of the Constitution had to do with the federal government being too strong, so they limited its powers specifically while providing little limitation to the states, except to prohibit them from interfering with commerce, making separate treaties, declaring war, granting titles, etc. (mostly powers granted to the federal government). Powers of the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial branches are specifically granted, along with limitations to those powers. The states were not given specific powers intentionally in order to give them authority over everything else to govern. Individual rights were granted because it was popular with constitutions to give a “Bill of Rights”, and some anti-Constitutionalists were opposed to the Constitution on the grounds it did not contain one. Don’t misunderstand this to think that I am somehow opposed to individual rights—one of the greatest affronts to our Constitution is the creeping growth of laws infringing on specifically granted Constitutional rights, specifically to the 2nd Amendment.

Driving automobiles on public highways built and maintained by governments (local, state, etc.) using tax dollars from various sources was not occurring at the time the Constitution was drafted, so this activity was not covered by the Constitution. Since no amendments have been made concerning this activity since then, it is neither specifically granted as a “right” to individuals or as a “power” to the federal government. This leaves authority over driving automobiles on public highways with the states. This is the reason states issue driver’s licenses (interstate trucking is a form of interstate commerce, so different rules apply since “Commerce among the several states” is a power retained by Congress under Section 8 of the Constitution).

You are correct that driving is a “right”—when it is done on private property, not public roadways. This is the reason you don’t need a driver’s license to operate a vehicle on your own, or even another person’s, land. It doesn’t take a law enforcement officer or attorney to determine what I have said, you just need to read the Constitution—possibly the most amazing document ever written by man—to understand this.

Feel free to argue this point if you care to, but the theory that states cannot tell you whether or not you can drive on public highways is a slippery slope since if they cannot tell you that, then they cannot tell you not to do any of the following: drive recklessly, drive while intoxicated, drive too fast (not including the "chickenshit" tickets...lol), drive too slow, stop at stop signs, obey other traffic signals, etc.

What you describe is not “freedom”, it is anarchy. If you recall the preamble to the Constitution, it says: We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America. This means we are going to have laws; they are not intended to limit our freedoms, except where our freedoms might interfere with another person's rights, but that doesn't mean or guarantee that they won't. The same law that requires you to get a driver's license to drive on public highways keeps 12 year olds from doing so legally, takes away from or doesn't grant the privilege to people with insufficient eyesight to safely do so, takes away the privilege from people involved in serious traffic violations (DUI, manslaughter, etc.), and provides a means to remove or limit the privileges of those with other medical conditions that would endanger the general public.

Sorry for the long post!

"Hope you take a good look at life and your responsibility to abide by the law as a responsible person in the future."

Yeah dude I am going to take a really hard look at my life, going 10 miles over the speed limit is a terrible thing, I should just turn myself into homeland security, so that me and the underwear bomber can discuss where our lives took a turn for the worse.

"You do not know or is it your concern why the officer was exceeding the speed limit red lights or not, but I would have done what someone else quoted on this thread, either do not exceed the speed limit or turn off somewhere. My 2 cents."

You lapse in logic is interesting, If speeding is dangerous, and that is why I got a ticket then the level of danger my actions represented are equal to the level of danger the cop introduced into the population but going at least as fast, correct? And as far as not concerning myself with what civil servants are doing, as with any elected or public official they do answer to the public. They cannot disregard the law for convince, according to the lawyer I spoke top today (http://www.speeding-tickets-colorado-springs.com/) (719) 260-1002, police cannot speed or park illegally, or run red lights without specific purpose and in my county without their lights on. "a thankless Job?" most jobs are thankless, no one comes to me in the supermarket and says "hey Mat thanks for selling Variable Annuities". This is America, just because someone wears a uniform does not mean they are above the law, and it does not mean they are above reproach.

I think you might have missed the point. You have to realize that a lot of cops work with the low lifes of our society for most of their career, day in day out. The kind of people that you would not want to be in the same room with. Most jobs are thankless? That might be, however most jobs your not risking you neck for 8 to 10 hrs a day. Your life could change in a second just trying to protect the public. Just ask the families of the men who have lost their lives in the line of duty.

If you are a law abiding person who is not involved with law enforcement on a daily basis why dont you cut a cop a break and be respectful the next time you get pulled over. Thank him for protecting you, your neighborhood and your community. Who knows you might get let off with a warning, being an antagonizing confrontational douche will never work.

HI

First let me say until about two years ago I always defended cops when people talked bad about them. Secondly I have never been written a ticket of any kind and I have been driving since I was 16 and I'm now 32. Since I moved to Colorado and bought a GT500 my opinion and respect for cops has changed. A cop can write you ticket high enough in CO that it could require jail time with no proof what so ever. One charge is exhibition of power and that is totally up to the cop’s definition. I know of one cop in Ft Collins who would pull my friend over in his custom 08 Mustang GT every time he passed him and come up with a ticket for something. Seven tickets in three months all from the same cop, not any others tickets. Last ticket I was in the car. Rice burner pulled up beside us revved his engine and took off. My friend never broke the speed limit. Cop pulled us over wrote my friend ticket for speed contest wreck less driving and something else. Ticket was 22 points I think. My friend could have served jail time if judge wanted to be mean about it. Only reason my friend didn't lose his license and possibly serve jail time was all his tickets came from the same cop and got worse. He ended up filing harassment law suit and getting charges dropped. He talked to the DA first and DA basically said he was lying and the officer would never lie or break the law he is a cop. As I said before I have never had a ticket 16 years of driving and only been pulled over three times (no were for speeding and no tickets written) till I bought a GT500. I do the speed limit in my GT500 because of jerk cops in CO. I will not lie I usually drive 5 over in my truck on I-25 and get passed by people doing 85. I have never been pulled over in my truck. I check my rearview all the time and usually spot the cops coming up from behind me. They will pull in behind me and follow trying to find something to pull me over for. I didn't have my car a week and got pulled over for temp tag not being visible or that is what he said. First tent is 100% legal and it was freaking midnight and was where it was supposed to be and I was doing speed limit. I saw him pull in behind me and follow me for about two miles before lights came on. One cop pulled me over and his reason was exhaust. Stock with KR mufflers and I never even remotely got into the throttle. I have met some cool cops who are just gear heads and come up to talk about the car. I don't understand how people say they are cops and you have to respect them. I respect the power they have but don't automatically respect them. Respect is earned not given.

I enjoy reading these discussions about rights vs. privileges. I have a brother who feels similarly to some of the thoughts expressed here. He and I have had some interesting discussions about whether driving is a "right" or a "privilege". He is intelligent and capable of arguing cogent points over this, but where he is unable to get around the “privilege” argument is this: The Constitution (supreme law of the land for those of you wondering about its place in society) gives specific powers to the federal government (the usurping of many others by the federal government is a different discussion entirely) and retains the remainder for the STATES (intentional capitalization), not the individuals. In fact, individuals had no specifically delineated “rights” in the Constitution as originally written; the First 10 AMENDMENTS (more intentional capitalization—amendments meaning “changes”) give us our “Bill of Rights” as individuals.

The primary concern of the framers of the Constitution had to do with the federal government being too strong, so they limited its powers specifically while providing little limitation to the states, except to prohibit them from interfering with commerce, making separate treaties, declaring war, granting titles, etc. (mostly powers granted to the federal government). Powers of the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial branches are specifically granted, along with limitations to those powers. The states were not given specific powers intentionally in order to give them authority over everything else to govern. Individual rights were granted because it was popular with constitutions to give a “Bill of Rights”, and some anti-Constitutionalists were opposed to the Constitution on the grounds it did not contain one. Don’t misunderstand this to think that I am somehow opposed to individual rights—one of the greatest affronts to our Constitution is the creeping growth of laws infringing on specifically granted Constitutional rights, specifically to the 2nd Amendment.

Driving automobiles on public highways built and maintained by governments (local, state, etc.) using tax dollars from various sources was not occurring at the time the Constitution was drafted, so this activity was not covered by the Constitution. Since no amendments have been made concerning this activity since then, it is neither specifically granted as a “right” to individuals or as a “power” to the federal government. This leaves authority over driving automobiles on public highways with the states. This is the reason states issue driver’s licenses (interstate trucking is a form of interstate commerce, so different rules apply since “Commerce among the several states” is a power retained by Congress under Section 8 of the Constitution).

You are correct that driving is a “right”—when it is done on private property, not public roadways. This is the reason you don’t need a driver’s license to operate a vehicle on your own, or even another person’s, land. It doesn’t take a law enforcement officer or attorney to determine what I have said, you just need to read the Constitution—possibly the most amazing document ever written by man—to understand this.

Feel free to argue this point if you care to, but the theory that states cannot tell you whether or not you can drive on public highways is a slippery slope since if they cannot tell you that, then they cannot tell you not to do any of the following: drive recklessly, drive while intoxicated, drive too fast (not including the "chickenshit" tickets...lol), drive too slow, stop at stop signs, obey other traffic signals, etc.

What you describe is not “freedom”, it is anarchy. If you recall the preamble to the Constitution, it says: We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America. This means we are going to have laws; they are not intended to limit our freedoms, except where our freedoms might interfere with another person's rights, but that doesn't mean or guarantee that they won't. The same law that requires you to get a driver's license to drive on public highways keeps 12 year olds from doing so legally, takes away from or doesn't grant the privilege to people with insufficient eyesight to safely do so, takes away the privilege from people involved in serious traffic violations (DUI, manslaughter, etc.), and provides a means to remove or limit the privileges of those with other medical conditions that would endanger the general public.

Sorry for the long post!

Yeah Thomas Jefferson had a horse license too, next time your in Philly check it out its posted in a glass box right next to the Liberty Bell.

HI

First let me say until about two years ago I always defended cops when people talked bad about them. Secondly I have never been written a ticket of any kind and I have been driving since I was 16 and I'm now 32. Since I moved to Colorado and bought a GT500 my opinion and respect for cops has changed. A cop can write you ticket high enough in CO that it could require jail time with no proof what so ever. One charge is exhibition of power and that is totally up to the cop’s definition. I know of one cop in Ft Collins who would pull my friend over in his custom 08 Mustang GT every time he passed him and come up with a ticket for something. Seven tickets in three months all from the same cop, not any others tickets. Last ticket I was in the car. Rice burner pulled up beside us revved his engine and took off. My friend never broke the speed limit. Cop pulled us over wrote my friend ticket for speed contest wreck less driving and something else. Ticket was 22 points I think. My friend could have served jail time if judge wanted to be mean about it. Only reason my friend didn't lose his license and possibly serve jail time was all his tickets came from the same cop and got worse. He ended up filing harassment law suit and getting charges dropped. He talked to the DA first and DA basically said he was lying and the officer would never lie or break the law he is a cop. As I said before I have never had a ticket 16 years of driving and only been pulled over three times (no were for speeding and no tickets written) till I bought a GT500. I do the speed limit in my GT500 because of jerk cops in CO. I will not lie I usually drive 5 over in my truck on I-25 and get passed by people doing 85. I have never been pulled over in my truck. I check my rearview all the time and usually spot the cops coming up from behind me. They will pull in behind me and follow trying to find something to pull me over for. I didn't have my car a week and got pulled over for temp tag not being visible or that is what he said. First tent is 100% legal and it was freaking midnight and was where it was supposed to be and I was doing speed limit. I saw him pull in behind me and follow me for about two miles before lights came on. One cop pulled me over and his reason was exhaust. Stock with KR mufflers and I never even remotely got into the throttle. I have met some cool cops who are just gear heads and come up to talk about the car. I don't understand how people say they are cops and you have to respect them. I respect the power they have but don't automatically respect them. Respect is earned not given.

I have met several who have zero respect for anyone, they qualify as bullies, at least when they have a pistol, badge and a bunch of co-workers with them...

Hats off to the good ones, though.

I just read in our paper that in my area the prosecutors office has a list of people who are considered "questionable witnesses" as they have been caught lying.

The Prosecutors office must then notify defense attorneys if a witness of thiers is on that list...

We have 52 local LEO's on that list that the states prosecutors office has identified. Why they have a job if the STATE thinks that they are liars is beyond me....headscratch.gif

I keep reading the daily paper and I keep being entertained...hysterical.gif

TURN make it a mantra.

HI

Archived