TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fun with COPS in Colorado

matyellott

Let get this out of the way, I don't like cops. Here is my story from today, I was driving to work on I-25 northbound between Castel Rock and teh Tecj Center. I was following what I knew to be an unmarked cop car for 10 mile I was directly behind him at about 2 car lenths the entire time. The COP pull over one lane turns on his lights and slams on his brakes to get behind me. He then pulls me over and says I was doing 85 in a 75, my comment to him was "Wait a sec I was behind you for 10 miles and I was going the exact same speed that you were the entire time, does that mean you were speeding also", I recieved no answer to this question, he took my info and gave me a $165 ticket (which I intend to fight). The COP's light were not on while he was on the interstate, he was not heading to a call at a high rate of speed, yet he was going at least 90 miles an hour, is this legal????

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once past a WOMEN cop on 394 outside of MPLS I passed her going 59 in a 55 she pulled me over and was totally freaking out that I would even think about passing a cop. I was in a company pickup and she basically gave me a warning.

She was really sexy and I thought wow your too sexy to be a cop and she was acting like a ballbuster I had plenty of fantasy's about her for the next month.

That sucks you got a ticket. I would fight it.

Cops can do whatever they want they think they are above the LAW

I will pass on some advice from a sage old Biker I knew who spent MANY years living on his HD and travelling the west coast and beyond. Despite not looking like a former member of the Army, he was a Viet Nam combat vet who had several bad interactions with members of law enforcement, mostly due to his penchant for carrying a .44 mag and a few other back up weapons, even though he was obeying the law even rode the speed limit 99% of the time, and attempting to ride free...

His advice was:

"When you are riding and driving and you see an officer, TURN."

his other advice concerning living the life of a piston obsessed highway traveller was:

"Protect your license with all you can do, it is the most important thing you have"

Hire an attorney, you will need it. Fighting a ticket on your own does not do much in my experience.

You may benefit from this...

Good Luck!

RIP Hardluck.

I have talked with my local PD about the same things. The officer makes their own decisions what they want to do. If the speed limit is 35 mph, 55 mph or 70 mph and you exceed this, you will get a ticket. Is it right that they can go faster than the posted speed limit, NO. But they do. In our local Mustang club, we have some PD and sheriff's in the group. They have been pulled over on cruises by the local PD and have always escape from a ticket. Why? Because they have that special wallet with that shiney badge in it. Is that right? No.

To be safe, which I do, is to push the limits of the law. I will do the exact speed limit, but get there a fast as I can. I have numerouse times, on purpose, take off from a light to be the first one across the other cross walk. What can the officer do about that? Nothing, as long as I did not spin my tires or exceed the posted limit.

I say, Drive Safe and have fun within the posted speed limit.

Tom

A part of me, knowing he was a cop exceeding the posted speed limit, would have wanted to do what you did. Another part of me would have let him be because I knew I would have been pulled over. That's just me. The older I get the wiser I get. I hope you get out of the ticket, but I'd say your chances are slim to none. Good luck.

Good luck with the ticket - it is probably worthwhile to get some legal advice, but two wrongs don't make a right. Admitting in court that you were above the speed limit will probably be all the judge needs to hear before sentence is imposed. Absent really special circumstances (like a documented medical emergency) you may not have much of a chance to have the ticket dismissed just because the cop was speeding too. But if you have a clean driving record, there may be other options open for reduced sentence, going to traffic school, or even ticket dismissed in 6 months (if no other infractions in between). $165! Wow, CO is really money hungry!

How about this...

I was trying to pull him over to let him know he was exceeding the speed limit.

Good luck with the ticket - it is probably worthwhile to get some legal advice, but two wrongs don't make a right. Admitting in court that you were above the speed limit will probably be all the judge needs to hear before sentence is imposed. Absent really special circumstances (like a documented medical emergency) you may not have much of a chance to have the ticket dismissed just because the cop was speeding too. But if you have a clean driving record, there may be other options open for reduced sentence, going to traffic school, or even ticket dismissed in 6 months (if no other infractions in between). $165! Wow, CO is really money hungry!

Well put. . . and yes Colorado is really money hungry (broke).

Let get this out of the way, I don't like cops. Here is my story from today, I was driving to work on I-25 northbound between Castel Rock and teh Tecj Center. I was following what I knew to be an unmarked cop car for 10 mile I was directly behind him at about 2 car lenths the entire time. The COP pull over one lane turns on his lights and slams on his brakes to get behind me. He then pulls me over and says I was doing 85 in a 75, my comment to him was "Wait a sec I was behind you for 10 miles and I was going the exact same speed that you were the entire time, does that mean you were speeding also", I recieved no answer to this question, he took my info and gave me a $165 ticket (which I intend to fight). The COP's light were not on while he was on the interstate, he was not heading to a call at a high rate of speed, yet he was going at least 90 miles an hour, is this legal????

Your first sentence say it all. Many of your past posts have been anti-police oriented and I've responded to a few. When people have a penchant for coming in contact with local law enforcement more often than most, there is generally a reason and its not just the luck of the draw. Sounds like you were looking for an opportunity to meet the officer by the way you were drivng and he obliged you. Officers have any number of legitimate reasons to be above the posted limit and I wish you all the success in the world, should you decide to go to court. Theres a saying commonly used among Officers; " what goes around comes around." It came around to you. So endeth the lesson.

You "don't like cops"? Sorry to hear this. Cops are just like all other people and have good and bad days and some are competent and common sense and others are not, but 99% are there for you and speaking from personal experience as a former "cop" / retired from big city CA. it is a thankless job and unless you've actually been there, you have no clue what the stress is like. Sounds like you may have said some dumb things to get yourself into a misunderstanding with the cop that will NOT work out in your favor. Hope you take a good look at life and your responsibility to abide by the law as a responsible person in the future. You do not know or is it your concern why the officer was exceeding the speed limit red lights or not, but I would have done what someone else quoted on this thread, either do not exceed the speed limit or turn off somewhere. My 2 cents.

Steve

AZ.

I am told that just because the officer is speeding is no reason for you to speed. A friend of mine found out the hard way. He was following a police car at 125 klm's in a 100 klm on the hiway. He got pulled over and given a ticket. He went to court and lost.

Last week a neighbor had an OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) officer over. We got to talking and it seems that the police are giving police tickets for speeding. He got one for going 130 in a 100. They officer that charged him said he could care a less that he is an OPP. He should know better.

You don't say if you and he were both going 85 in the 75, or if you were going 75 and he was mistaken. If the first, then you're going to take a hit regardless. You might get a plea down to something lesser but it's not likely to go away. If it is the second I don't know how you'll make your case.

Also, I understand that it is no longer required that the ticketing (arresting) officer be present in court. If they didn't show up the case used to be dismissed. I've heard it don't work that way no more [sic].

In my opinion this sounds like entrapment. Atleast here in Wisconsin I dont believe cops can brake the law to inforce it. Maybe your state is differant but I would definitly fight it and atleast try to get the cop issued a citation also.

Do I have this right? You were driving 2 car lengths behind a cop at 85 miles an hour for 10 miles. Isn't that tailgating??? No wonder he pulled you over.

Point..........................................................................................................You

Notice the space between the two?

You "don't like cops"? Sorry to hear this. Cops are just like all other people and have good and bad days and some are competent and common sense and others are not, but 99% are there for you and speaking from personal experience as a former "cop" / retired from big city CA. it is a thankless job and unless you've actually been there, you have no clue what the stress is like. Sounds like you may have said some dumb things to get yourself into a misunderstanding with the cop that will NOT work out in your favor. Hope you take a good look at life and your responsibility to abide by the law as a responsible person in the future. You do not know or is it your concern why the officer was exceeding the speed limit red lights or not, but I would have done what someone else quoted on this thread, either do not exceed the speed limit or turn off somewhere. My 2 cents.

Steve

AZ.

"Hope you take a good look at life and your responsibility to abide by the law as a responsible person in the future."

Yeah dude I am going to take a really hard look at my life, going 10 miles over the speed limit is a terrible thing, I should just turn myself into homeland security, so that me and the underwear bomber can discuss where our lives took a turn for the worse.

"You do not know or is it your concern why the officer was exceeding the speed limit red lights or not, but I would have done what someone else quoted on this thread, either do not exceed the speed limit or turn off somewhere. My 2 cents."

You lapse in logic is interesting, If speeding is dangerous, and that is why I got a ticket then the level of danger my actions represented are equal to the level of danger the cop introduced into the population but going at least as fast, correct? And as far as not concerning myself with what civil servants are doing, as with any elected or public official they do answer to the public. They cannot disregard the law for convince, according to the lawyer I spoke top today (http://www.speeding-tickets-colorado-springs.com/) (719) 260-1002, police cannot speed or park illegally, or run red lights without specific purpose and in my county without their lights on. "a thankless Job?" most jobs are thankless, no one comes to me in the supermarket and says "hey Mat thanks for selling Variable Annuities". This is America, just because someone wears a uniform does not mean they are above the law, and it does not mean they are above reproach.

Your first sentence say it all. Many of your past posts have been anti-police oriented and I've responded to a few. When people have a penchant for coming in contact with local law enforcement more often than most, there is generally a reason and its not just the luck of the draw. Sounds like you were looking for an opportunity to meet the officer by the way you were drivng and he obliged you. Officers have any number of legitimate reasons to be above the posted limit and I wish you all the success in the world, should you decide to go to court. Theres a saying commonly used among Officers; " what goes around comes around." It came around to you. So endeth the lesson.

Thanks for the education Obi Wan.

Somewhere in the middle of this is a lesson about kicking a sleeping rattlesnake on the trail...

You know?

Sorry but... speeding was where you went wrong in the first place. Most of us speed, but guess what? You run the chances of being caught and cited, that's just simply the risk you take. So if you're smart about it, you choose where you speed and keep it under the limit where you need to... and driving behind a cop? LOL!, is definitely one of those areas where you should keep it at the limit or below.

Good luck with that!

You know?

Sorry but... speeding was where you went wrong in the first place. Most of us speed, but guess what? You run the chances of being caught and cited, that's just simply the risk you take. So if you're smart about it, you choose where you speed and keep it under the limit where you need to... and driving behind a cop? LOL!, is definitely one of those areas where you should keep it at the limit or below.

Good luck with that!

The car was unmarked and I coulden't tell until the last mile it was a cop. I never said what I was doing was right nor will i defend my actions. The point was the officers actions are in question. I have a meeting with the highway patrol shift commander Sat morning, thanks for the varied points of view, always good to hear from the population. Also my wife was with with me she was stunned.

The car was unmarked and I coulden't tell until the last mile it was a cop. I never said what I was doing was right nor will i defend my actions. The point was the officers actions are in question. I have a meeting with the highway patrol shift commander Sat morning, thanks for the varied points of view, always good to hear from the population. Also my wife was with with me she was stunned.

You said in your first post that you were following "what you new to be an unmarked" police car.

And in all honesty, if you were speeding you broke the law and the officer has every right to cite you. IMHO, whether or not the officer was speeding is irrelevant, but I'm interested to learn what you find.

Keep us posted. :salute:

My friend, you have admitted to following too close-for 10miles-on the bumper-2-car lengths!-at over the speed limit.-A COP! WTF were you thinking??? Don't say that in court-judge just might slap u harder than the cop. Get a grip-you knew he was a cop and yet you just baited him till he had no choice. If you backed off-to show some respect for the badge-yes-these guys put their lives on the line every time they put on a uniform-he would have gone on his merry way and the same for you.

My friend, you have admitted to following too close-for 10miles-on the bumper-2-car lengths!-at over the speed limit.-A COP! WTF were you thinking??? Don't say that in court-judge just might slap u harder than the cop. Get a grip-you knew he was a cop and yet you just baited him till he had no choice. If you backed off-to show some respect for the badge-yes-these guys put their lives on the line every time they put on a uniform-he would have gone on his merry way and the same for you.

Let me give some more deatils, it was rush hour going into Denver, every car was going that speed or faster, a semi actully passed the cop a minute before he pulled me over. it was not like it was just him and I on a country road this is an 8 lane interstate, someone was in front of him also. I do appricate your point of view but you would have really had to see how the events played out to understand what happened. This was a high traffic envirment and the last time I looked down at the speedometer I was going 80.

Let me give some more deatils, it was rush hour going into Denver, every car was going that speed or faster, a semi actully passed the cop a minute before he pulled me over. it was not like it was just him and I on a country road this is an 8 lane interstate, someone was in front of him also. I do appricate your point of view but you would have really had to see how the events played out to understand what happened. This was a high traffic envirment and the last time I looked down at the speedometer I was going 80.

"I was following what I knew to be an unmarked cop car for 10 mile I was directly behind him at about 2 car lenths the entire time." :headscratch:

WTF ? You should have been driving in his blind spot. If I even think its a cop I'm well back so I can just about keep him in my view.

Your topic almost says it all. No fun in court, I've had my court dates and tickets $$$$ Live and learn. I wish you good luck :busted:

"Hope you take a good look at life and your responsibility to abide by the law as a responsible person in the future."

Yeah dude I am going to take a really hard look at my life, going 10 miles over the speed limit is a terrible thing, I should just turn myself into homeland security, so that me and the underwear bomber can discuss where our lives took a turn for the worse.

"You do not know or is it your concern why the officer was exceeding the speed limit red lights or not, but I would have done what someone else quoted on this thread, either do not exceed the speed limit or turn off somewhere. My 2 cents."

You lapse in logic is interesting, If speeding is dangerous, and that is why I got a ticket then the level of danger my actions represented are equal to the level of danger the cop introduced into the population but going at least as fast, correct? And as far as not concerning myself with what civil servants are doing, as with any elected or public official they do answer to the public. They cannot disregard the law for convince, according to the lawyer I spoke top today (http://www.speeding-tickets-colorado-springs.com/) (719) 260-1002, police cannot speed or park illegally, or run red lights without specific purpose and in my county without their lights on. "a thankless Job?" most jobs are thankless, no one comes to me in the supermarket and says "hey Mat thanks for selling Variable Annuities". This is America, just because someone wears a uniform does not mean they are above the law, and it does not mean they are above reproach.

Great Post Matt. I agree. Use the attorney and keep it off your record...that is a BS ticket and any officer on this forum who says it is not a BS move is lying to themselves.

BTW Thanks for your service selling Variable Annuities...hysterical.gif

The mindset displayed here now and in the past with reguards to speeding and tickets and the like is truly revealing...remember TURN and have NO interaction its the best defense.

edit:grammer

You said in your first post that you were following "what you new to be an unmarked" police car.

And in all honesty, if you were speeding you broke the law and the officer has every right to cite you. IMHO, whether or not the officer was speeding is irrelevant, but I'm interested to learn what you find.

Keep us posted. salute.gif

IMO its totally relevant, he was following the "safe" speed with traffic. I'd wager a SAI coffee mug it gets dismissed...if an attorney argues it in court. Good luck Matt.

Archived