TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Strange Engineering Brakes?

Looks more like a drag car setup, but the price surprised me...

BTW, which brake upgrades support ABS? (Baer, Brembo, etc...)

Jer

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/STR-B4148WC

Looks more like a drag car setup, but the price surprised me...

BTW, which brake upgrades support ABS? (Baer, Brembo, etc...)

Jer

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/STR-B4148WC

Any of the brake upgrades should work with the ABS/Traction Control as long as you do not disrupt the Wheel speed sensors. They determine whether wheels are approaching a lock condition and trigger a dump of pressure for very slight time.

My suggestion is if increasing the diameter of the front rotor, you should increase the rear an equal amount. ABS systems use the effective radius of caliper, distance of piston center to wheel center, in it's tuning to get most effectiveness out of the ABS. ABS suppliers do their tuning for both front and rear to get an optimum set up.

Changing front from 13" to 14" rotor with same caliper increases front radius by ~0.5" and decreases pressure to lock by around 5%to create this same lock condition. Not changing the rear will keep the same pressure for a rear lock. During operation, front is likely to drive ABS pump motor into operation more frequently shortening it's expected life. Changing the rear size at the same time keeps the balance as designed into to the system decreasing wear and tear on the ABS module.

Changing from standard twin piston to four piston or 6 piston have bigger implications as piston sizes change. I keep seeing these offered but rarely see what the piston sizes are to assess what it is doing to the Brake balance, ABS function, and feel at the pedal. Most everyone reports it as better but, this can be masked by choice of brake pads.

Just 2 cents on your question for the ABS.

Rotors shown are interesting. They are thinner thus probably allowing the 4 piston caliper to package within our bullet wheels. Down side is that slots have to be large to try to dissipate the heat. Fear is that they will wear linings much faster or could cause pad edges to starting chipping away. Probably would be good to get more details from them.

DrKSGT

Archived