TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Electronics package

mustanggt500

Okay, question for all the tech smart guys cause I have not been able to figure this one.

The navigation and DVD feature is a software thing, so is there a way to bypass the "safety" feature that prevents DVD playback while driving? I mean when my family is with me they should be able to watch it! Otherwise, what a very very limited use feature. There has to be a way to bypass this with a patch or something, I mean with all of the stuff out there to bypass all these kinds of things now-a-days there has to be one for this that is not going to mess with anything else.......

Nic

Okay, question for all the tech smart guys cause I have not been able to figure this one.

The navigation and DVD feature is a software thing, so is there a way to bypass the "safety" feature that prevents DVD playback while driving? I mean when my family is with me they should be able to watch it! Otherwise, what a very very limited use feature. There has to be a way to bypass this with a patch or something, I mean with all of the stuff out there to bypass all these kinds of things now-a-days there has to be one for this that is not going to mess with anything else.......

Nic

I am sure it is like most other units and there is a wire going to the shift selector so it will only make the circuit when Park is selected. Find that wire and you can solve the problem.

I have seen it handled a few ways, GM using the vss wire which is easily identifiable, and shows in the diagrams, this wire pulls of the wheel speed sensor. My last Jeep cherokee used information encoded in the vehicle bus, the only way to allow access to the dvd and nav functions disabled while driving was an actual code hack in the system itself. A programmer with an srt8 used to send out the code fixes. I am not sure how ford does it but its more complicated as the years run on.

D.Brisson

2010 Black with silver stripes

This is one of the things instantly anoying to me as well, I played around and the trigger for the system is most definatley in the E brake electronics somewher,e you can just barely pull the e brake and the video re-apears. Surely someone can confrim all this, it has to be a hot topic.

I would immagine that it is a simple wire plugged into the break system. I would think that it is a standard wire harness that will get the DVD player wired in if it is added or left 'hanging' if not with the DVD option. I VERY much want to find out and "remove" this safety feature.

If I can handle a muscle car I can handle haveing the DVD player running.

Nic

This is one of the things instantly anoying to me as well, I played around and the trigger for the system is most definatley in the E brake electronics somewher,e you can just barely pull the e brake and the video re-apears. Surely someone can confrim all this, it has to be a hot topic.

Has anyone actually tried the PAC device with a DVD?

I got this response from their tech support, and I still don't understand......

"The NU-FRD1 is a navigation unlock device. It will unlock the radio for whatever period of time you keep it unlocked for. It is illegal in most states to have a movie playing within range of the driver of the vehicle. But it will UNLOCK the radio when activated.

If you have any additional questions feel free to call tech support."

All,

Being a programmer by profession this topic has got my interest. I am in the process of doing some testing and if all goes as expected you should be able to make this change for cheap ($15 - $25) or even free in some cases. Give me a week or two to to give you an update.

DaFreak

All,

Being a programmer by profession this topic has got my interest. I am in the process of doing some testing and if all goes as expected you should be able to make this change for cheap ($15 - $25) or even free in some cases. Give me a week or two to to give you an update.

DaFreak

Great stuff, I am certainly not interested in paying 299$ for this feature but I knew there had to be a afordable solution. Let us know what you come up with.

I bypassed the e-brake switch via a remote toggle. The DVD played when the ebrake was off and car was stationary. However, as soon as you start moving the DVD goes off and the ebrake on warning starts.

Definitely tied to the VSS. I haven't messed with it after that due to time

another question guys,

since the 2010 has a Nav system...i was wondering if that would work here in Asia?

I have a car with GPS Nav and it uses a media card where all the data is stored.

does the 2010 Nav system also have a media card slot where I could install my country's GPS info?

Thanks again

It's quite a bit more complicated than the VSS bypass trick. There has been countless discussions on this on the F150 forums. Basically you can go with an aftermarket device which installs BEHIND the unit in the dash for the 2010 hard drive type NAVs. This basically "reflashes" the unit and allows for DVD playing however you lose NAV functionality until the vehicle is parked and the nav reset. A few companies make a few variations of these "workarounds" and the $300 price mentioned is on the low side. HOWEVER, more than a fair number of posters have complained of permanent issues afterwards with any nav functionality. Also, dealers are refusing to warranty these "modded" NAV systems. So caveat emptor!

The pre 2010 DVD based NAVs are not able to be worked around at this time. There are extensive multi multi multi page discussions about the pros and cons in the F150 forums. Search them out and you'll see both sides of this. Personally there is NO way in hell I'd ever do this to my NAV and I'm also a programmer by profession. Just buy a portable DVD for the family to watch and save the Nav to well navigate.

I've played around quite a bit with the directories (software side) in my wife's NAV in her expediton and there are a fair number of "safties" to overcome. There are hardware issues to overcome as well.While I'm sure it can be done, it cant be done by a layperson or someone who is unwilling to potentially sacrifice the NAV unit to trial and error. It's NOT a simple hack or one without risks and anyone telling you otherwise is lying.

Archived