TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TVS Installed!

mullens

The new 660hp TVS is on. Took 2 hrs taking our time. The power is awesome, 14 psi right off the bat with the pro cal tune and crappy 91 octane we have in NV. The best thing about this kit is everything fits like OEM and it is a stand alone. I would recommend it to anyone.

001-3.jpg

Were the prompts the same when you loaded the Procal tune (as the '07-'09 TVS that you did previously)?

And is it the same process as before, where you have to get the numbers from the PCM and then send them to FRPP, yadda, yadda?

Tob

Were the prompts the same when you loaded the Procal tune (as the '07-'09 TVS that you did previously)?

And is it the same process as before, where you have to get the numbers from the PCM and then send them to FRPP, yadda, yadda?

Tob

Yes sir, prompts were the same. The only thing I had to adjust was the tire size. Same as last time, I ordered the tuner online with all the info and they overnight it the next day.

Mullens, I asked before but can't find the thread to see if you responded. Did you get the TVS kit from Tousley or did you find a better price elsewhere?

I got it at Buy Ford Racing. They beat Tousley but maybe because I was a repeat customer. You have to call them for the best price. I'd call both as they are both great vendors.

Another option is davidwhuff. I don't know if he's still selling them but he had killer prices. He's on TS so you may want to PM him.

The new 660hp TVS is on. Took 2 hrs taking our time. The power is awesome, 14 psi right off the bat with the pro cal tune and crappy 91 octane we have in NV. The best thing about this kit is everything fits like OEM and it is a stand alone. I would recommend it to anyone.

001-3.jpg

Looks very nice on your car. Like OEM.

001-3.jpg

I haven't seen the 660hp version from buyfordracing.com before. Is this new for the 010? I see the 605hp version at buyfordracing.com. I thought the hp increase between the stock 07-09 and the 010 was due to intake and tune, so it doesn't make sense to me that the 010 with a TVS / Ford Tune would have any more power than an 07-09 with a TVS / Ford Racing Intake and Tune. I don't see any changes that account for the extra 55hp. The only thing I can think of is that Ford Racing has a different tune for the model year 010 TVS? But I haven't seen the add saying the 010 tune is different.

The TVS is a nice upgrade!

I haven't seen the 660hp version from buyfordracing.com before. Is this new for the 010? I see the 605hp version at buyfordracing.com. I thought the hp increase between the stock 07-09 and the 010 was due to intake and tune, so it doesn't make sense to me that the 010 with a TVS / Ford Tune would have any more power than an 07-09 with a TVS / Ford Racing Intake and Tune. I don't see any changes that account for the extra 55hp. The only thing I can think of is that Ford Racing has a different tune for the model year 010 TVS? But I haven't seen the add saying the 010 tune is different.

I am thinking the same thing as well. If this is the 2.3L TVS then no way is there going to be 660 RWHP with a just a tune and CAI. It would need a smaller upper pulley and and more mods to push more air (3" exhaust and new throttlebody). Nevertheless, it still is one sweet upgrade.

It is the more aggressive tune that is responsible for the power increase (knock sensors on the '10 engine that earlier units didn't have). The blower itself, including the pulley, are identical to '07-'09 kits.

That is not to say that heat soak, poor gas/detonation, won't have the engine cutting power back quite a bit.

If you notice, the FRPP numbers for the 2010 2.9 Whipple kits are up there as well. I suspect the same kit when it is finally released by FRPP for '07-'09 owners, that there will be a similar reduction in hp between earlier and later GT500's.

Tob

It is the more aggressive tune that is responsible for the power increase (knock sensors on the '10 engine that earlier units didn't have). The blower itself, including the pulley, are identical to '07-'09 kits.

That is not to say that heat soak, poor gas/detonation, won't have the engine cutting power back quite a bit.

If you notice, the FRPP numbers for the 2010 2.9 Whipple kits are up there as well. I suspect the same kit when it is finally released by FRPP for '07-'09 owners, that there will be a similar reduction in hp between earlier and later GT500's.

Tob

[/quote

Your exactly right, the knock sensors incorporated in the 2010 Shelby allows for a more aggressive and safe tune.

I am thinking the same thing as well. If this is the 2.3L TVS then no way is there going to be 660 RWHP with a just a tune and CAI. It would need a smaller upper pulley and and more mods to push more air (3" exhaust and new throttlebody). Nevertheless, it still is one sweet upgrade.

Both the 605 and 660 hp kits are at motor not RWHP. Yes, only the tune is a bit more aggressive but a custom tune on the other 07-09 kits get you the same or better results.

The 07-09's are a different part numbers. The part # for the 2010 is M-6066-SVTA, which includes the resonator eliminator and a more aggressive pro cal tune specifically written for the 10's. It is listed as 660 hp (at the crank) and feels like every bit of it.

The 2010 TVS is not listed on BFR's site but they have it, you just have to call.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11288

Does this void the factory warranty? Looks really nice. Was this the only mod done? Anything with the rear to better hookup?

Depends on who you talk to. On paper, yes it does. (I didn't pay to have Ford install it.) In my case, I've talked to my dealer, and I'm good.

Yes, this is the only engine mod and probably will stay that way. If anything, I'll go with some better LCA's for the rear and when the F1's wear out, some Invos.

The 07-09's are a different part numbers. The part # for the 2010 is M-6066-SVTA, which includes the resonator eliminator and a more aggressive pro cal tune specifically written for the 10's. It is listed as 660 hp (at the crank) and feels like every bit of it.

The 2010 TVS is not listed on BFR's site but they have it, you just have to call.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11288

Muchas gracias para explicacion.

Tob

Thanks Tob, makes sense that you could get a better tune for the 010 from Ford. I installed the stock TVS 605hp tune to my car, noticeable difference in the way the car starts and returns from high idle to normal idle, for the better. I'm sure I lost some power but I feel better about the reliability and longevity.

Thanks Tob, makes sense that you could get a better tune for the 010 from Ford. I installed the stock TVS 605hp tune to my car, noticeable difference in the way the car starts and returns from high idle to normal idle, for the better. I'm sure I lost some power but I feel better about the reliability and longevity.

There is a slight debate on custom tune vs pro cal tune. I had both on my 08, and although on paper the custom tune makes more power, I really couldn't tell the SOTP difference. I went back to the pro cal because of the idle properties you spoke about, plus everything worked like stock (traction control, rev limiter, etc.)

Nothing against custom tunes, I just preferred the pro cal. The only thing I wish it had was a fan adjustment parameter for a cooler thermostat. I called Ford Racing and suggested that they add that parameter, and they said don't use a cooler thermostat or change the plugs with a stock TVS set up, as they are unecessary.

Blayne & Mullens - I'm with you completely with regard to using a Ford (Roush) developed tune. I have no doubt in my mind that more power can be drawn out with a custom tune. Yet, I'm more comfortable with one that was tested using all the necessary factory durability standards, and certified to comply with federal emissions requirements, even if it produces less power.

And Blayne, your comment about tip in/throttle release and return to idle rates is the first I've heard. Have you noticed the same thing Mullens, now that you have done two of these installs?

Tob

On edit...arggh...I see I looked over your mention of it. Care to elaborate a bit more?

Mullens, congrats on the new TVS install, I did one on my 08 and am very happy with it too.

One note about the HP for this kit, that I keep meaning to find out about is,

-on the 07-09 kit boost is listed at 13 psi.

-on the 10 kit boost is listed at 15 psi

So did they change pulley size or can boost be added thru the tune?

Mullens, congrats on the new TVS install, I did one on my 08 and am very happy with it too.

One note about the HP for this kit, that I keep meaning to find out about is,

-on the 07-09 kit boost is listed at 13 psi.

-on the 10 kit boost is listed at 15 psi

So did they change pulley size or can boost be added thru the tune?

Several tuners have told me that boost cannot be added through a tune. It's not like a turbo with variable vanes or a wastegate, where boost is adjustable. Once you close the bypass, it is what it is. As far as the extra 2 lbs of boost, someone (I think it was Justin from VMP) said they use a .100 smaller pulley on the new TVS. I'm not certain, so someone who knows please chime in.

As you know, boost is varies depending on many atmospheric conditions. I do know that my 08 TVS never saw more than 13psi, most of the time it was less. The 2010 version runs between 13 and 14.5psi which I saw last night in optimal conditions. Remember our factory boost gauge is not entirely accurate either.

Blayne & Mullens - I'm with you completely with regard to using a Ford (Roush) developed tune. I have no doubt in my mind that more power can be drawn out with a custom tune. Yet, I'm more comfortable with one that was tested using all the necessary factory durability standards, and certified to comply with federal emissions requirements, even if it produces less power.

And Blayne, your comment about tip in/throttle release and return to idle rates is the first I've heard. Have you noticed the same thing Mullens, now that you have done two of these installs?

Tob

On edit...arggh...I see I looked over your mention of it. Care to elaborate a bit more?

In my experience, the idle on my custom tune was not as stable as stock or procal. On a cold start, it would jump to a higher rpm and remain higher before it settled. Also, with the A/C on, the idle would fluctuate instead of staying steady. It really wasn't that bad, but the differences were there.

Mullens, to clarify, I thought you were comparing the TVS Procal tune to the stock tune - not a custom tune.

Regarding the '10 TVS blower pulley diameter, I have never seen that anywhere. I have seen it stated that the unit was identical to earlier TVS units. Which begs the question...is the '10 stock blower pulley diameter the same as the '07-'09 diameter? If it is larger then I would presume the '10 TVS pulley to be larger as well, just as you stated.

Tob

Mullens, to clarify, I thought you were comparing the TVS Procal tune to the stock tune - not a custom tune.

Regarding the '10 TVS blower pulley diameter, I have never seen that anywhere. I have seen it stated that the unit was identical to earlier TVS units. Which begs the question...is the '10 stock blower pulley diameter the same as the '07-'09 diameter? If it is larger then I would presume the '10 TVS pulley to be larger as well, just as you stated.

Tob

The TVS procal works EXACTLY like stock. I was comparing the FRPP procal tunes to custom tunes. Sorry for the confusion.

I'll try and find the thread, but I'm sure i saw something about the TVS pulley being slightly smaller than the stock M122. Other than that I'm at a loss as to why the 10's make more boost than the 07-09. Since the stock M122 made the same boost as previous years I'm assuming the pulley was identical.

Archived