TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New GT350!!! It's backkkkkkk

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I dont see any of these cars in a vert form. These are cars designed to be used on the track, and it makes no sense to add weight and compromise safety in order to accomodate the 1% that might want one. A convertible super snake is not going to be surpassed in performance or looks...but that heavy 5.4 is just a bulldozer on the track. I got to drive a Terlingua last weekend out on the track, and my new name for that thing is "slot car"! I cant believe the handling it has. :happy feet:

Yeah, I dont see any of these cars in a vert form. These are cars designed to be used on the track, and it makes no sense to add weight and compromise safety in order to accomodate the 1% that might want one. A convertible super snake is not going to be surpassed in performance or looks...but that heavy 5.4 is just a bulldozer on the track. I got to drive a Terlingua last weekend out on the track, and my new name for that thing is "slot car"! I cant believe the handling it has. :happy feet:

I sure hope I get to drive one of them thar Terlinguas some day - LOL!!!

:hysterical:

VB

I read all the posts and news on this "GT350" and I have to chuckle. Really... I think I heard all the same BS back in 2006 before the GT500 came out. All the exclusive numbers, limited runs, yada yada yada. Lets face it, the GT350, if it comes out, will be a 2011 GT 5.0 with some cosmetic effects, minimal added HP and in the end cost a boat load more cash. And for what? O yea, to have a Shelby "exclusive" name on it.... please. With the tens of thousands of Shelby GT500's built and those yet to come, and all the other Shelby one off's... in the end, the name is so diluted, does it really matter if it says "Shelby" any more? yea, call me soured, I sold my "exclusive" 08 GT500 because I got tired of all the lies, the over selling, the diluted name, and the so called rare car. You can see one on any given Tuesday on any given street corner. Does this mean I am bashing Shelby? No, they did what any smart company would do, sell the heck out of anything that has a following. Problem is, when the dust settles, these so called Shelby's will be Mustangs... plain and simple, with NO added value. You can buy a used GT500 all day at Carmax, with limited miles, and the depreciation is just about the same as a Mustang GT. I know, I sold mine... In the end, buy the cars because you like the car and plan on driving the wheels off. And if you have a big fat wallet. Short of that, and if your not looking for that 40 year from now wish of a pay off, buy a Mustang GT and spend much less money doing it all yourself. Sorry, I was sold on the whole Shelby thing and feel I got burned as a consumer and loyal follower. I think this GT350 is another money maker, and short of that, just not a big deal for anyone with a brain, of who has followed this the past few years. Rant off, fire away... unless I get band for speaking my mind.

I read all the posts and news on this "GT350" and I have to chuckle. Really... I think I heard all the same BS back in 2006 before the GT500 came out. All the exclusive numbers, limited runs, yada yada yada. Lets face it, the GT350, if it comes out, will be a 2011 GT 5.0 with some cosmetic effects, minimal added HP and in the end cost a boat load more cash. And for what? O yea, to have a Shelby "exclusive" name on it.... please. With the tens of thousands of Shelby GT500's built and those yet to come, and all the other Shelby one off's... in the end, the name is so diluted, does it really matter if it says "Shelby" any more? yea, call me soured, I sold my "exclusive" 08 GT500 because I got tired of all the lies, the over selling, the diluted name, and the so called rare car. You can see one on any given Tuesday on any given street corner. Does this mean I am bashing Shelby? No, they did what any smart company would do, sell the heck out of anything that has a following. Problem is, when the dust settles, these so called Shelby's will be Mustangs... plain and simple, with NO added value. You can buy a used GT500 all day at Carmax, with limited miles, and the depreciation is just about the same as a Mustang GT. I know, I sold mine... In the end, buy the cars because you like the car and plan on driving the wheels off. And if you have a big fat wallet. Short of that, and if your not looking for that 40 year from now wish of a pay off, buy a Mustang GT and spend much less money doing it all yourself. Sorry, I was sold on the whole Shelby thing and feel I got burned as a consumer and loyal follower. I think this GT350 is another money maker, and short of that, just not a big deal for anyone with a brain, of who has followed this the past few years. Rant off, fire away... unless I get band for speaking my mind.

I would have to agree with you it took along time to sell all the Shelby GTs hell there is still one on lot near my house still with high dealer markup 08 I guess it will sit there. MY feeling is they will mark it up and flood the market more, myself I wont buy one I had too many problems with my 07 took me a yeat to sort out.

I beg to disagree. Times have changed. When the '65 350GT came out, try to name all the other cars that could also be considered for the 'track' back then? There were not many, and anything by SHELBY was ahead of the pack.

That's just not how it is anymore. Any Shelby/Ford product (ex a GT) does not dominate on 'the track' like the old days. I used to own a modified '05 Viper - THAT was a track car, and I drove it on the track. Then there are the vastly improved Z06s and new Corvette Grand Sports, and not to mention a parade of imported cars, Nissan GTRs, Porsche Caymans, BMWs, even Mazdas and on, that will rip good lap times. It's 2010, and times have changed. 'Track' cars these days come in 31 flavors.

So talk of racing 'purity' (with ancient live rear axle design) is bogus unless the car dominates - and this new 350GT surely will not, and cannot - it is NOT for that 'track' purpose anymore, as it does not stand alone for that purpose, nowadays in 2010. So I see nothing wrong with an awesome, exclusive, fun, cool Shelby 350GT CONVERTIBLE. I'm not betting it will happen, but I hope it does. And it would be far more than 1% who would want it - I think it would outsell the coupes. I'd be ready to buy it, that's for sure! :shift:

^The Shelby GT dominated as the SCCA F-Stock Pro-Solo National Champion in 07 and 08.

To say that Shelby can't build a dominating track car is pretty silly. I expect the GT-350 to be a bona fide Porsche killer. If it's not, I'll be surprised and disappointed, but it's nothing a Griggs setup wouldn't cure I'm sure. I do agree that there is no handbook for SA that demands that they follow their own footprints left behind in the 60's. I hope that they delineate more than they have, honestly, just to keep it fresh and exciting. But I'm not sure what the GT-350 would bring to the market at this point, if it's not impressively capable on the road course.

Ken

I beg to disagree. Times have changed. When the '65 350GT came out, try to name all the other cars that could also be considered for the 'track' back then? There were not many, and anything by SHELBY was ahead of the pack.

That's just not how it is anymore. Any Shelby/Ford product (ex a GT) does not dominate on 'the track' like the old days. I used to own a modified '05 Viper - THAT was a track car, and I drove it on the track. Then there are the vastly improved Z06s and new Corvette Grand Sports, and not to mention a parade of imported cars, Nissan GTRs, Porsche Caymans, BMWs, even Mazdas and on, that will rip good lap times. It's 2010, and times have changed. 'Track' cars these days come in 31 flavors.

So talk of racing 'purity' (with ancient live rear axle design) is bogus unless the car dominates - and this new 350GT surely will not, and cannot - it is NOT for that 'track' purpose anymore, as it does not stand alone for that purpose, nowadays in 2010. So I see nothing wrong with an awesome, exclusive, fun, cool Shelby 350GT CONVERTIBLE. I'm not betting it will happen, but I hope it does. And it would be far more than 1% who would want it - I think it would outsell the coupes. I'd be ready to buy it, that's for sure!

We are in a recession that has many people out of work, so moral around me is down.

I am hoping the new Shelby is a complete race winning car, not a daily driver.

This would please me. In less than 7 days we will see what it looks like.

There are rumors on other forums about possible IRS for the GT350 and Boss. There are even some pictures of a supposed prototype S197 IRS that Ford built and abandoned. Since the GT350 and Boss are both road racing cars, an IRS would an appropriate upgrade on these cars. If the GT350 will have upgrades like IRS and a very unique look, it is getting tempting to call SAI and put down a deposit!!

I think the GT500 is controlled by Ford not SA. For the most part the SA packages have been limited by either the model year or build.

I was really hoping that my years of dedication and thousands of dollars spent on the brand would have afforded a sneak (no cameras) at this car. I want to believe but SGTs are all over the place for 25k or less and they have a proven trac record. I feel compled to save them for some reason.

I was dissappointed not to see a hot lap from this phantom and the energy level of the Bash event in my opinion was a little lacking. Don't get the wrong idea, I had a great time reducing the life span of my brakes and watching cobras/GT500s spin out. The kid in me still believes the hype and the adult that I've become tells me to wise up.

Mike

z Vegas Bash 2010 8.jpg

z Vegas Bash 2010 8.jpg

I can only say that Shelby had a fellow member's GT500 that they worked night and day fitting it with an IRS...I have pictures to prove it!

You mean that hot red GT500 that spun off the track with the rear wheel sticking out of the fender sideways. GOOODDDD I wish I had my camera on me so I could give KEN crap for a long time about that. Yeah that IRS looks like its really nice....jackinbox.gif

Adding an IRS would not make the car handle any better. It might be smoother on the street, but as it has been stated and proven a properly setup live axle will put down power better than an IRS. And with 2 ton plus cars having over 500RWHP and IRS would do nothing but add weight and cost. Even Ford is starting to figure that out with the new GT Trak-Pak cars which are really nice. While they may not have the power of the 500s they are far easier to drive as well as faster in the corners. That was just proven at the Car & Driver Lightining Lap.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/the_lightning_lap_2009-feature

Colin

The problem was that the bolts were not forged steel, but they didn't know that at the time of install. Ken is lucky to have walked away from that bolt failure. We might be having a different discussion if that happens at Hallet. Personally, I think an IRS is just not needed, or it would have been included in the car in 07. To me, a live axle gives you a feel for the road and allows a driver to feel his way around the track that you won't get with an IRS. But I know it has been a complaint of mustang nay sayers for quite some time.

I would suspect we will see the live axle on any new model in the near future, but that's just my guess.

If a IRS was the answer the Boss 302 R would be packing one;reliability/affordability are the issues.

As far as complaints about not seeing that phantom.................

I HEARD it looks really cool

S-GT guys quit moaning,next summer the 11 GTs will be getting wrapped around telephone poles and you can buy a low mile used coyote swap it in and go beat on the unsuspecting masses

Doc Scott

S-GT guys quit moaning,next summer the 11 GTs will be getting wrapped around telephone poles and you can buy a low mile used coyote swap it in and go beat on the unsuspecting masses

Doc Scott

That's my plan. I'm going to wait a little longer until I know that people aren't blowing them up on the track. Plus I'm hoping the Ford will come out with a service replacement and possible conversion for earlier cars (05-10).

Sorry but I still think the eariler car looks better.

Colin

Doc Scott

I wonder how it would act in a 95 GT. I don't wanna mess with my SGT. The badge on the side of the car stays the same. :hysterical::hysterical2:

So talk of racing 'purity' (with ancient live rear axle design) is bogus unless the car dominates - and this new 350GT surely will not, and cannot - it is NOT for that 'track' purpose anymore, as it does not stand alone for that purpose, nowadays in 2010. So I see nothing wrong with an awesome, exclusive, fun, cool Shelby 350GT CONVERTIBLE. I'm not betting it will happen, but I hope it does. And it would be far more than 1% who would want it - I think it would outsell the coupes. I'd be ready to buy it, that's for sure! :shift:

I dont know how you can say Ford product does not dominate the tracks, most of the cars you've mentioned above are being beat by a ford product(Mustang), check out Speed World Challenge(Brandon Davis), Grand Am series, Gt Series, They all compete, So to say the GT350 will not be a track car like days of old, is no different today than yesteryear. Independent Rear does not give an advantage over Live Axle, Thats been proven. So to say Their not Competetive is bull. Look at Van(Revan Racing) He's Driving a Bradley Tank, and puting a Hurt on alot of those Imports you Brag about.

I dont know how you can say Ford product does not dominate the tracks, most of the cars you've mentioned above are being beat by a ford product(Mustang), check out Speed World Challenge(Brandon Davis), Grand Am series, Gt Series, They all compete, So to say the GT350 will not be a track car like days of old, is no different today than yesteryear. Independent Rear does not give an advantage over Live Axle, Thats been proven. So to say Their not Competetive is bull. Look at Van(Revan Racing) He's Driving a Bradley Tank, and puting a Hurt on alot of those Imports you Brag about.

Yes, you can race a Mustang at the track. (You can run a pick-up truck at the track too - doesn't prove anything.) Must there be no convertible so as not to dilute the absolute supreme purity of such a possible new GT350? C'mon. Most (not all) Shelby cars these days see about as much track time as SUVs go off-road. It's not a matter of 'only 1%' would want a convertible because it's really more of a track car - it's the other way around - only 1% of these 'collectibles' will ever see the track.

That was my point.

I'd buy a convertible in which to enjoy a nice weekend road trip. If i want spartan no-nonsense track car, I'd get something used, strip it, 6-point belts and a roll bar, and run it into the ground.

The way I'm reading some of these posts, it sounds as if people are expecting this GT350 to actually compete in a sanctioned racing series. Well, being a "post-title" car, no sanctioning body will ever allow it to compete in a "stock" category! Hell, a lot of higher-up's in SCCA are still pissed about the SGT being allowed to compete in F-stock. The way that has turned out, they won't let it happen again! So at best, this car would end up in Street Modified. It better be a helluva performer to compete in that category.

And those are just the autocross guys. To really race the thing, you'ld have to pull a SPRSNK (sorry Rick ;) ) and gut the car, fully cage it and hope you don't get embarrassed in NASA AI(X) or what ever other series would take you.

Ford is building some damned good race cars on the S197 chassis. The new Coyote is looking like the best engine that Ford has EVER designed/built. But the racing will stay with the "big boys" like Multimatic and Rehagen.

The rest of us should just enjoy the Open Track days and HPDE's and be happy that somewhere, a mustang is kickin' ass!

Oh, and I still want one of those Boss302R's!!!!! Maybe when Dean is finished with his in a couple of years, I can afford to buy it :D

edit: can't type tonight :doh:

I believe Ford made this 5.0 engine stronger in the bottom end & will have a lot of potential when mods are added. Lets wait & see what it will do on the track, I think alot of will be surprised.

Only the crank is forged in the new 5.0. The rods/pistons remain as weak as in the 4.6. And with an 11:1 compression ratio, there will be a lot less room for boost than in the 05-09's.

Ken

This thread needs to be in the GT350 forum, where the "if they make it" GT350 has been talked about for some time now. It was stated that the new 2011MY would be used with a possible new front and rear body kit, new designed Whipple SC, only 1300+ plus built, all would be white, optional blue stripes and the cost would be slighty lower then a Super Snake. So if the new 2011 Mustang GT is $35K and if the upfit package is $20-$25K that puts you around $55k-$60K (+ -). Also, it was stated these cars would be offered thru Shelby dealers like the Roush and Saleen's are. So, I'm guessing Shelby would buy the base Mustang GT from Ford, upfit it, then send it off to the dealer.

:waiting:

I think it will be closer to $75K. 35K for the car and 35K for package + tax = well 75 or maybe 80K. Out of my reach now.

Only the crank is forged in the new 5.0. The rods/pistons remain as weak as in the 4.6. And with an 11:1 compression ratio, there will be a lot less room for boost than in the 05-09's.

Ken

Ken,

According to Ford (as quoted in the excellent 5.0 Mustang magazine article for the March 2010), your statement is incorrect. The pistons definitely are not weak! And the rods are stronger than what is currently in the 4.6's due to a revised cross section design; but they are the "weakest link" in the chain for this engine. The only reason there is less room for boost is because of the higher compression. There is plenty of room in this engine for more HP, even the capacity for direct injection and EcoBoost technology. They just didn't NEED it to reach the 400 Hp level, which was their goal........for now!

Just wait for the Boss..................

The way I'm reading some of these posts, it sounds as if people are expecting this GT350 to actually compete in a sanctioned racing series. Well, being a "post-title" car, no sanctioning body will ever allow it to compete in a "stock" category! Hell, a lot of higher-up's in SCCA are still pissed about the SGT being allowed to compete in F-stock. The way that has turned out, they won't let it happen again! So at best, this car would end up in Street Modified. It better be a helluva performer to compete in that category.

And those are just the autocross guys. To really race the thing, you'ld have to pull a SPRSNK (sorry Rick ;) ) and gut the car, fully cage it and hope you don't get embarrassed in NASA AI(X) or what ever other series would take you.

Ford is building some damned good race cars on the S197 chassis. The new Coyote is looking like the best engine that Ford has EVER designed/built. But the racing will stay with the "big boys" like Multimatic and Rehagen.

The rest of us should just enjoy the Open Track days and HPDE's and be happy that somewhere, a mustang is kickin' ass!

Oh, and I still want one of those Boss302R's!!!!! Maybe when Dean is finished with his in a couple of years, I can afford to buy it :D

edit: can't type tonight :doh:

Good points - great post!

[

Just wait for the Boss..................

I'm excited to see the release of this one too.

Archived