TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New GT350!!! It's backkkkkkk

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it could be coming.

A LeftLaneNews.com article by Andrew Ganz claims Shelby is toying with a prototype that may be badged as a GT350.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/shelby-gt350.html

From the posting "Rumors and speculation hint that the new model could be called GT350 in honor of the historic model’s 45th anniversary this year."

-------------------

Leftlane has learned that Shelby Automotive is developing a high-performance, Ford Mustang-based model using Ford’s new Coyote V8 powerplant as its base. Rumors and speculation hint that the new model could be called GT350 in honor of the historic model’s 45th anniversary this year.

A white 2010 Mustang with Ford’s new 5.0-liter V8 is reportedly being used as a developmental mule at Shelby’s Las Vegas design studios. Given that Shelby has already stated it does not intend to produce any 2010 or 2011 Shelby GTs, the company’s production facilities should have plenty of room for a new, higher volume model.

The 5.0-liter V8 car would likely slot in below Shelby’s high-performance Super Snake, which can be ordered with up to 725 horsepower. It’s unlikely that a revived GT350 would produce even as much power as the entry-level 630-horsepower Super Snake, but it will undoubtedly be a healthy upgrade over the standard 412-horsepower 5.0. The Super Snake is expected to stay in production as Shelby’s halo car.

It’s rumored that the new car – whether or not it actually uses the historic GT350 nameplate – will be unveiled at a GT350 45th anniversary gala in Scottsdale, Arizona, on January 18. That invitation-only event serves as the opening party for the annual Barrett-Jackson auction.

The new Shelby GT 350 - or whatever it will be called - will definitely be more expensive than the SGT's from 2007 and 2008. The SGT's then cost around $40,000 and the convertible was $47,000. This didn't include dealer mark-up or price adjustments or market conditions etc. My guess on the price point for 2011 hardtops will be in the mid-$50,000 to $60,000 range which will put many buyers out of the market. Although many SGT owners would love to have a more potent Shelby GT, I don't see many taking the hit on their car for the new and improved 2011 model. Most that wanted a more potent machine opted for the GT/SC conversion. Although the 2011 car could bring many potential new buyers into the Shelby fold, the price point will have to be there. Most of us really can't afford two high performance cars in the stable, let alone a spouse that will "sign-off" on another Shelby.

The other thing I have found interesting on this forum and a few other car forums are guys talking about the new 5.0 not being capable of being supercharged due to the high compression ratio. For those that have been around cars as long as I have will remember that high compression cars were being turbo and supercharged many decades ago. The key is the boost levels in high compression engines. Don't expect 10 or 12 lbs. of boost in a 11/1 CR engine, but probably closer to half those levels for reliability and added performance. I would expect the advertised HP on a 2011 'charged 5.0 to be at 500 to 550 HP. Crank HP will be 50 to 75 HP less.

Can't wait for the responses! What say you Dave G, with the little SGT-C from Texas?

I'm all about the GT350 and I suppose the decisions have already been made, but if it comes in at your price points, don't you think many people would just go ahead and buy a GT500.

My SGT/BJ stickered new for just a tad over $50,000 with the SAI enhancements, I would hope the price falls between a Ford GT and the GT500 for best sales or it might not go.

The economy is still bad and I am personally not even thinking about selling mine and taking a depreciation hit, but a GT350 would be a nice touch, I would like to see it come down the Ford production line and have automatic as an option.

Can't wait for some official news or a leak from SAI prior to the official release.

GG

I'm all about the GT350 and I suppose the decisions have already been made, but if it comes in at your price points, don't you think many people would just go ahead and buy a GT500.

My SGT/BJ stickered new for just a tad over $50,000 with the SAI enhancements, I would hope the price falls between a Ford GT and the GT500 for best sales or it might not go.

The economy is still bad and I am personally not even thinking about selling mine and taking a depreciation hit, but a GT350 would be a nice touch, I would like to see it come down the Ford production line and have automatic as an option.

Can't wait for some official news or a leak from SAI prior to the official release.

GG

I have a basic SGT...low production number...low miles...5-spd. I am still hoping a GT350 is made. For a good sticker price and a good trade in number I would trade in my SGT for a 350 only if it has huge horse power. (trade up) I don't know how well Shelby can make the new body style mustang look ( i don't like what FORD did with the Mustang). I have my fingers crossed for absolutely incredible. Lets see if Shelby out does himself again. :lurk:

The other thing I have found interesting on this forum and a few other car forums are guys talking about the new 5.0 not being capable of being supercharged due to the high compression ratio. For those that have been around cars as long as I have will remember that high compression cars were being turbo and supercharged many decades ago. The key is the boost levels in high compression engines. Don't expect 10 or 12 lbs. of boost in a 11/1 CR engine, but probably closer to half those levels for reliability and added performance. I would expect the advertised HP on a 2011 'charged 5.0 to be at 500 to 550 HP. Crank HP will be 50 to 75 HP less.

Can't wait for the responses! What say you Dave G, with the little SGT-C from Texas?

Spare tire sized blower pulley perhaps?

This thread needs to be in the GT350 forum, where the "if they make it" GT350 has been talked about for some time now. It was stated that the new 2011MY would be used with a possible new front and rear body kit, new designed Whipple SC, only 1300+ plus built, all would be white, optional blue stripes and the cost would be slighty lower then a Super Snake. So if the new 2011 Mustang GT is $35K and if the upfit package is $20-$25K that puts you around $55k-$60K (+ -). Also, it was stated these cars would be offered thru Shelby dealers like the Roush and Saleen's are. So, I'm guessing Shelby would buy the base Mustang GT from Ford, upfit it, then send it off to the dealer.

:waiting:

no IRS

From a marketing standpoint how would it make sense for Ford to make a GT350 with more horsepower and at a higher price than GT500? It would be confusing to customers, potentially cannibalizing sales of GT500s and also not square with history where the GT350 was less powerful than the GT500. What am I missing?

Pretty sure that ford will have nothing to do with the gt350 program aside from selling white gt's to shelby... just based on all the other speculation that's been posted on here... and as such, shelby probably isn't as concerned about the gt500 sales...

I don't think you'll have to worry about the power levels exceeding those of the GT500, not even close. Fresh from development and yet to even be used in a production vehicle for sale to the public, aftermarket parts availability is non-existent. That is not to say that FRPP hasn't been hard at work - I'm certain they are. At most, you'll see SAI adding things like a cat back system, a shifter, shocks/struts/springs, wheels/tires. Of course they'll have their requisite exterior and interior treatment package(s) as well.

The fact is, this car will be a much better performer, all around, in the stock GT (with Track Pack, etc) configuration over the GT500. Will it be able to beat the GT500 in a drag race? No, probably not. But in the handling, braking, fuel economy categories, I'm pretty confident it will. I have a feeling that the top dog 2011GT will provide better road course numbers than a '07-'10 GT500 as well (2011 is a tossup. The weight reduction from the GT500 aluminum block has yet to be quantified in terms of lap times. I think it will be very close).

For a great look into the development of the Coyote engine, I suggest that everyone pick up the latest issue of 5.0 Mustang (March 2010). There is a nineteen page spread on everything you could possibly want to know about each and every part of this powerplant, along with the philosophy the engine group had in mind during its design. That said, it would appear that at this point, the weak point will be the connecting rods. The block, crank, etc, can handle more than what the powerplant will come rated for. As to the rods...

Like current Mustang GT rods, Coyote connecting rods are forged from powdered metal. Optimized for reduced weight and redesigned for uniformed bearing loads around the big end, the Coyote rod eliminates the 4.6's balance pad. These rods are plenty strong for stock rpm and power but will not survive forced induction.(pg 70 of aforementioned periodical)

The compression ratio is a bit high for supercharged applications as well, but it is nice to see a Mahle piston will be used here.

Now don't take this the wrong way. This powerplant was designed to allow a myriad of potential upgrades/changes in the future. Direct injection and supercharging are a couple of them. When talking about the beefy/lightweight block the article author (Tom Wilson) states...

...the Coyote will inevitably be supercharged. The team didn't want to have to re-engineer the block later, so it was designed with forced induction loads in mind. (pg 76)

Further stated...

The Coyote team says the forged, powdered-metal connecting rod is the least robust link in the 5.0 chain. Engineers noted it is absolutely strong enough for its naturally aspirated application in the Mustang, but just absolutely strong enough...Most ominously, supercharging will require a stronger forged rod, so we expect to see those, and, no doubt, a short-block in the FRPP catalog before long. (pg 76)

There is mention of a Cobra/Manley forged rod fitting, but little else is said. Bottom line - anyone attempting to add a blower at this point (with the available rod/piston combination) will be treading on thin ice. So with no blower, at most I could see an added tune/CAI from FRPP as far as any engine related mods go. That is if FRPP has had the time to certify it and get it an exemption number. Ergo, I think any initial GT350 offering from Shelby will be geared towards the suspension and interior/exterior over massive power increases.

Again, pick up the issue I've referenced. Tom Wilson and 5.0 Mustang did an absolutely superb job on the article. Ford did an even better job with this engine.

Tob

Guys, the GT350 is not about all out power, that is what the GT500 and the SS offering from Shelby are about.

Do not expect a blown GT350.

I expect it to be just like the Shelby GTs of late, with induction changes, shifter, body kit, exhaust, wheels and tires and so on.

I expect them to cost about $40k

I really though am not sure why SAI ever built the Shelby GT, why they did not just call it a GT350 is beyond me. Does anyone know why?

I loved the Shelby GTs but they should have been called GT350s and should have been given 350hp, that would have been genious but now you cant do that lol because 350hp is V6 territory lol

From a marketing standpoint how would it make sense for Ford to make a GT350 with more horsepower and at a higher price than GT500? It would be confusing to customers, potentially cannibalizing sales of GT500s and also not square with history where the GT350 was less powerful than the GT500. What am I missing?

who said Ford was making this, it's a SA project

who said Ford was making this, it's a SA project

As I understand it the GT 350 would be purposly built for a different reason than the GT 500. They would be meant to grab the attention of different types of buyers. The original car did not compete with each other, then these wouldn't either.

Shelby thinks of these things as Shelby creates new cars.

I am just going to add my 2 cents in for what it is worth. The original GT350 was basically a street legal race car. everyone at Shelby American took the stock hi po 289 K-Code and added roughly 30 hp to it while making the suspension a race ready car. It was so much of a race car that people complained that the suspension was to stiff and that he had to make it a "softer" handling car. So If they are going to make a GT350 more like a heritage type car I would suspect minimal hp gain and a more refined chassis for track day type things. I have also heard that the Shelby GT350 is going to replace the GT500 for 2011.

I say the Shelby cars never compete with other they are all unique and any new models will be the same unique.

The 350 was pure race in 65 and was less so by 67.

It will be what it will be and some will love it some will hate it, some will say too much others will say perfect!

We will see

A site I frequent and trust says the ball drops on this one Jan. 18th in Arizona. Just something I heard...

It seems almost certain now. The two choices ere the Vegas Bash (concluding at noon PST today), or Barrett Jackson. Seems like it will BJ.

I'm going but won't be there for the Gala.

It seems almost certain now. The two choices ere the Vegas Bash (concluding at noon PST today), or Barrett Jackson. Seems like it will BJ.

I'm going but won't be there for the Gala.

I heard something will be announced on the 18th. I heard it is an invitation only event. Thats all I know.

Archived