TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Warranty is now up and i think i have the TSB.... AGAIN!

zporta

Well the car was bought in 6/09 and my three year warranty is now up. Well today i drove my car for the first time in about 4 mo. I took her out for about 15 min, warmed her up and had a little fun running through the gears... There was some spinning due to the cold weather conditions and hard tires... Well when i went to pull her in the garage i put it in neutral to open the garage door... Then i went to put the car in first and nothing... The only gears that would work were 4,5,6. So i went and talked to the dealer and he said my warranty is up. What do I do? Does ford have any coverage on the TSB they have already done? B/c i had the TSB done on this car with about 3-4k miles over a year ago. Any suggestions?

We have had members that were way over their warranty period and still had the TSB repairs done. Perhaps one of them will chime in if they had to take any extra ordinary actions for the work to be performed.

Didn't he say that the TSB was done over a year ago, and now the transmission with the TSB has failed? This sounds like a more catastrophic failure that what the TSB addressed.

But the warranty is for three years, 36K miles, right? What year is your car?

wait a min... every website i look at says drivetrain 5yr warranty... and i told him that and he tried to tell me that it was only three years

The definitive answer will be found in your owners manual. Believe only 10% of what you see on the internet. (That means it is pretty much limited to nouns and verbs alone and not in sentences. :) )

I have a March 07 build GT500 Vert.

I had the TSB done in September. I was told it came with a 30,000 mile (50,000 klm) warrenty. I'll look tonight for my paperwork and see if i have something in writing for you.

If Ford denies that this should be powertrain coverage, I would get a good automotive lawyer involved. My opinion is that the clutch TSB should be covered by powertrain, although many say it is not. I have no idea how they could deny that the flywheel is what causes all the damage that the TSB addresses, and the flywheel, is a covered part.

If Ford denies that this should be powertrain coverage, I would get a good automotive lawyer involved. My opinion is that the clutch TSB should be covered by powertrain, although many say it is not. I have no idea how they could deny that the flywheel is what causes all the damage that the TSB addresses, and the flywheel, is a covered part.

Sorry...

What about calling Ford Customer Relations?

*SVT-DEPT

1800-367-3788

Tell them what the dealer told you, ask them your options.

Good Luck

Well the car was bought in 6/09 and my three year warranty is now up. Well today i drove my car for the first time in about 4 mo. I took her out for about 15 min, warmed her up and had a little fun running through the gears... There was some spinning due to the cold weather conditions and hard tires... Well when i went to pull her in the garage i put it in neutral to open the garage door... Then i went to put the car in first and nothing... The only gears that would work were 4,5,6. So i went and talked to the dealer and he said my warranty is up. What do I do? Does ford have any coverage on the TSB they have already done? B/c i had the TSB done on this car with about 3-4k miles over a year ago. Any suggestions?

I hate to laugh but if I don't I will cry lol

Same thing happened to me, Ford will not fix it. If you do get it fixed, please let me know how you went about doing it, because Ford said they will not fix it a 2nd time, only once for the TSB, its on me this time they said, and I have tried multiple dealers and contacting Ford direct, they just do not care.

I will add, Ford is getting out of it by telling me there is nothing wrong with the car and they can not duplicate any problems.

Does anyone know, if I pay myself to have the stock TSB parts removed and analyzed and possibly shipped back to Ford as proof their parts are defective, could I get reimbursed or at the least sent a new clutch/flywheel so I could sell it to recoup some of the costs on my side to purchase an aftermarket clutch kit?

People in the know have admitted that the stock parts even post TSB have problems and the reason Ford will not keep doing the TSB is because they are not confident the problem wont just come back a 3rd time.

That is absolute Bull pucky that someone like Ford is getting away with this.

There are many people suffering from post TSB issues but they just are not as vocal or do not drive there car much so its not a big deal to them.

My gut says sell the car or sue Ford but all I really want is a properly working tranny and clutch, Ford is so stupid to throw customers like us willing to spend $50k for Mustang to the dam curb, way to go Ford!

Chuck, I know you are used to some sites that allow you to drop the F bomb and use cuss words. This site does not allow it. I don't care if you left the "c" out either. I'm tired of editing your words.

Kapeesh?

Chuck, I know you are used to some sites that allow you to drop the F bomb and use cuss words. This site does not allow it. I don't care if you left the "c" out either. I'm tired of editing your words.

Kapeesh?

No prob Rob, I figured it would do this "*****" automatically for me

Sorry!

Ford should have to cover this problem for the 5yr 60k mile since it is a powertrain. even if the TSB was done doesn't mean the Ford tech did it right. i would take it back an say its not working right an needs to be fixed under the 5yr 60k

I wonder how many of the repeat TSB's are due to this. How could you prove it?

My TSB was re-done twice. After the first TSB completion, I didn't make it out the dealership lot, and there was grinding and all sorts of noise. Back it went, waited a week for new parts, then drove it out no problem...until a few weeks later, when a MASSIVE clunking developed when shifting from 3rd to 4th. Both times the dealer said Ford sent them "bad syncros," but given the complexity and tolerances of our Tremec tranny, I think it was just inexperience in completing the TSB. My car was only the 2nd TSB the dealer had performed. I trust their master tech -- he's got 30+ years experience on Ford manual transmissions. And they did right by me -- fixed it both times with $0.00 costs to me. Between the two re-dos and the body work they had to complete, it was over $10K in parts and labor. I didn't pay a dime.

Now my car shifts like a dream. Been over 10K miles since the repair was completed, no issues at all.

I had the TSB done at 3000 miles, now have 10,000 miles on the odometer. And Love it. Can't say enough how much better the car shifts. My GT500 was my dealers first time doing the TSB and he got the install right the first time. So I guess it is a luck of the draw when it comes to finding a technician who is capable of doing the TSB correctly the first time.

First, the powertrain has a 5yr 60k warranty. In black and white in your owners manual.

We have discussed Chuck's clutch on several forums over and over. Chuck believes his car had an issue, got the dealer of his choice to perform the TSB at Ford's expense. The end result was worse than what he started with. His beef is with a dealer that did poor work. How many times does he expect Ford to pay for the same repair? Take the dealer to court is your only recourse for the poor workmanship. Ford already paid them on your behalf because you signed on the invoice saying you were happy with the work performed.

I maintain that the clutch installed in the 2007 GT500 is far better than what came in any prior SVT product. I know I have pused far more HP through it than was stock and its fine at 30k miles in city traffic. My 98 Cobra clutch gave up shortly after installing a Vortech. Fixed it on my nickel and so did most other owners. When my current one fails, I'll upgrade and be thankful it lasted this long at 700hp. You guys need to quit fussin about this as no other mfg than Ford has attempted to put this level of performance on the street at this price point. The car is not perfect but it aint 100k either.

I wonder how many of the repeat TSB's are due to this. How could you prove it?

im sure it has happened. but as for how many reapeats have been done who really knows. if your car isnt driving right. like the way you bought it brand new. i would say it was not fix 100% correctly an need to be throughly check out. be nice about it. but get you point across. take a tech on a drive with you driving the car an explain to him what you feel the problem is. good luck

First, the powertrain has a 5yr 60k warranty. In black and white in your owners manual.

We have discussed Chuck's clutch on several forums over and over. Chuck believes his car had an issue, got the dealer of his choice to perform the TSB at Ford's expense. The end result was worse than what he started with. His beef is with a dealer that did poor work. How many times does he expect Ford to pay for the same repair? Take the dealer to court is your only recourse for the poor workmanship. Ford already paid them on your behalf because you signed on the invoice saying you were happy with the work performed.

I maintain that the clutch installed in the 2007 GT500 is far better than what came in any prior SVT product. I know I have pused far more HP through it than was stock and its fine at 30k miles in city traffic. My 98 Cobra clutch gave up shortly after installing a Vortech. Fixed it on my nickel and so did most other owners. When my current one fails, I'll upgrade and be thankful it lasted this long at 700hp. You guys need to quit fussin about this as no other mfg than Ford has attempted to put this level of performance on the street at this price point. The car is not perfect but it aint 100k either.

i see where you are comming from. but what about those people with stock GT500's or even the people that installed the FORD powerpacks that are covered by the ford warrenty. they are alot of people having these problems that arent pushing 700HP. ford already knew there was a flaw in the Flywheel, inputshaft an lack of lube. its not the clutch. infact i like the clutch. but these other issues cause the clutch to fail and wear the tranny much more than it should.

My TSB was re-done twice. After the first TSB completion, I didn't make it out the dealership lot, and there was grinding and all sorts of noise. Back it went, waited a week for new parts, then drove it out no problem...until a few weeks later, when a MASSIVE clunking developed when shifting from 3rd to 4th. Both times the dealer said Ford sent them "bad syncros," but given the complexity and tolerances of our Tremec tranny, I think it was just inexperience in completing the TSB. My car was only the 2nd TSB the dealer had performed. I trust their master tech -- he's got 30+ years experience on Ford manual transmissions. And they did right by me -- fixed it both times with $0.00 costs to me. Between the two re-dos and the body work they had to complete, it was over $10K in parts and labor. I didn't pay a dime.

Now my car shifts like a dream. Been over 10K miles since the repair was completed, no issues at all.

So was this the same dealer that did all of the Re Do TSBs? How long ago was this and any idea if this was just a good dealer or Ford being good?

Reason I ask is because maybe I just need to keep going to different dealers but I have sorta given up because they each tell me it is not up to them and Ford says NO!

It is more complicated than that. I don't post all the details online. I did originally think it was install error but after a lot of back n forth and going to several dealers I believe it is a parts defect, and actually that is what Ford told me. It was unclear if they were openly admitting a poorly designed clutch/flywheel (even the post TSB stuff) or if it was just a certain "bad batch" or what the hell is going on.

Like I said, it took several clutch kits just to get my car off the lot, many parts were just defective right out of the box. Now I only know what I have been told and quite frankly, I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps the dealer installed the wrong pars or not all the parts needed. Ford is very specific on what needs to be done and what parts to be used for the TSB. I checked every last part number on my invoice and they all matched up with the proper numbers, not much more I could do.

I realize its a broken record but Ford does go on these sites so it can't hurt to continually speak your mind and also power comes in numbers so the more people going through what I am the better.

I realize that putting in a $1300 aftermarket clutch will most likely just end this all, is just not the point. You pay for a car with a certain warranty and it is the manufacturers responsibility to adhear to that

Cheers, its Friday! :)

i see where you are comming from. but what about those people with stock GT500's or even the people that installed the FORD powerpacks that are covered by the ford warrenty. they are alot of people having these problems that arent pushing 700HP. ford already knew there was a flaw in the Flywheel, inputshaft an lack of lube. its not the clutch. infact i like the clutch. but these other issues cause the clutch to fail and wear the tranny much more than it should.

Thank you and great point and this is the problem! Only have major issues when the flywheel gets hot and this really doesnt happen on a tech test drive.

First off why would I or any owner lie? There is nothing to gain here, matter of fact, just more time it has to be away from me as I pay the insurance and car payments for it.

The 'lube on the input shaft' was not a defect but a design change to try and help those owners that let the cars sit most of the time. I have owned and installed clutches in more cars than I can count and have never lubed trans input shaft to prevent rust build up. If the car is drivien regularly the rust simply is not a problem. Heat in the flywheel is from slipping the clutch. Its not a motorcycle with a wet pac clutch. It should be either engaged or not, not slipping. There are quite a few owners of 07 cars that have far more miles than me on the OEM clutch and without diffeculty. Its driver technique that is the variable here.

A streetable clutch that will handle 800 ft lbs of torque and drag strip launches is quite a feat to design. The cerra-metalic dual disc clutch in the 07 was a first of design in a production car. Yes things have gotten better since but it was pretty good. Sorry guys, its not a honda or a porsche with 200 ft lbs of torque. Ford is not going to just up and replace all the clutches with new and improved designs because better is available 3 years later. The unit installed is not defective, it passed lengthy durability testing and the vast majority of units sold did not fail during warranty period. (most 2007s are out of warranty now).

So was this the same dealer that did all of the Re Do TSBs? How long ago was this and any idea if this was just a good dealer or Ford being good?

Reason I ask is because maybe I just need to keep going to different dealers but I have sorta given up because they each tell me it is not up to them and Ford says NO!

I just pulled my history. First brought it in on 6/30/08...tech test drove and found no problem, but my invoice says "Hotline contact stated engineering is currently investigating concern."

Brought it back 11/14/08 for the first TSB...$4,830.62 to warranty.

Brought it back right away for mushy clutch and grinding. Another $1,889.47 to warranty. And $623.88 for body damage.

Brought it back 5/12/09 for the 3rd/4th grind. Invoice shows "synchro rings burned." Another $1,195.30 under warranty.

Total cost to Ford: $8,539.27. Total cost to me : $0.00.

It was a frustrating experience, especially when they damaged the front fender, but the dealer, my service manager, and the master tech worked with me the whole time. I trust them with my car for all service now.

I think I was the only one that need the TSB re-done at this dealer (Waldorf Ford, Waldorf, MD).

After Ford revised the TSB, I recommended the dealer to him. Unfortunately, when Ford narrowed the allowable symptoms, they had to turn him away. The service manager was very apologetic to me when I came in next time (as he mentioned that I referred him), but said he called Ford and they said they wouldn't reimburse if it didn't exhibit ALL the symptoms listed. They would also inspect the removed parts and make their determination after the fact. That's a risky proposition for a dealer.

Archived