TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Poor Shelby GT in the snow!

Redlinetoys

I can't imagine trying to drive it in snow with those factory tires! they are bad enough in the rain!

mine sees all the rain as a daily during the non-snowy months, but it's currently parked and will be parked for snow as long as i own it... but I'm still in the "drive the hell out of it" category, i put about 6000 miles on it since buying it mid August, and that's really only about 3 months of driving it before the snow was flying!

Boy do I feel sorry for all you guys!!! Let me tell you about harsh conditions:

*We have no heated garages here

*We have to drive our cars all year round

*We constantly have to search for shade when we park

*Patchy fog could pop up at any time causing due to form on the car

*Sometimes we're not sure if we should wear shorts or long pants on our outings

*And occasionally a tee shirt is just not warm enough!

And of course this all means that we have to clean the car more frequently. Now these are harsh conditions.

hysterical.gifhysterical.gif

John

I say good for you!!! I live in Dayton, Ohio. You have obviously read your Shelby supplement manual in your glovebox. The forward from Mr. Shelby........to summerize.....these cars are made to be DRIVEN. What good does a "garage queen" do when you're 6ft under. I've driven my Viper cross country. Shoot, I got my Prowler out just a couple weeks ago and drove it to church. It's about 4 degrees here in Dayton. I have a funeral tomorrow, friend only 53, I think I'll get the SGT out and drive it. Again, you drive yours everyday....good for you!

I am having all weather l tires installed tomorrow and will report My drive is a great test

Lots of interesting comments here.

Regarding the comments about the tires being a little weak in the rain. I would agree. I was a little surprised at the lack of traction this 07 had compared to our 06 GT with the Pirelli P-Zero tires.

However, the Shelby is actually pretty good in the snow with the weight in the back. The car is a little sluggish (like having a couple of big guys in the car with you), but it drives pretty decent.

I found a great touchless car was today with an undercarriage feature that blasts the car from underneath. I have washed it manually up until now, but this new wash seems to work pretty good to rinse the undercarriage of any salt and residue.

Regardless it is still fun to drive every day!

The only way I could swing the Shelby was to buy it as a "driver".

My wife and I already have 2 everyday cars plus my 2 boys cars in the driveway, in addition to our Bel Air and some other toys sleeping in the garage. A $500 beater is a possibility, and I have done that over the years, but I will resist if I can manage my nerves.

As I said, this car replaced our silver/red 06 GT which was driven for 3 seasons of these crappy winters with no real effects. I will drive this one for 36 months and then replace it with something else and this one can be re-detailed underneath and will go in the garage for nice days as a KEEPER.

In the meantime, I am LOVING driving it everyday, even in the nasty weather.

For general knowledge, the factory tires are WORTHLESS without weight in the back (maybe a .5 out of 10 rating). I carefully removed the spare air kit and rear carpet and placed 250 pounds of Morton salt wrapped tight in garbage bags in the spare well. With a full tank of gas, this seems ideal for good traction and safety, even with the performance tires (I would say a 3-4 out of 10 rating).

Here is a pic I took after driving to work this morning in 4-5 inches of goo!

I love the 55 mine should be done in a couple months it is going to be vista blue with silver.

Just had 4 Mich pilot sport all weather tires installed

Took it out other than a little wheel spin out of a snow covered drive they appear to be great

went back and forth in my snow covered drive-where i got stuck with original tires no problem

I now fell better and it will be a weekly driver when weather permits without concern about Getting stuck.

They appear to be smoother riding and not as noisy as originals

Bought them as per Shelbys Manual reqs on all weather tires

Just had 4 Mich pilot sport all weather tires installed

Took it out other than a little wheel spin out of a snow covered drive they appear to be great

went back and forth in my snow covered drive-where i got stuck with original tires no problem

I now fell better and it will be a weekly driver when weather permits without concern about Getting stuck.

They appear to be smoother riding and not as noisy as originals

Bought them as per Shelbys Manual reqs on all weather tires

You drive your Shelby with a high of 18 degrees?

Archived