TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Poor Shelby GT in the snow!

Redlinetoys

I am a believer in driving them.

That being said, it is killing me to drive this car in the snow. We had an 06 GT that we drove year round and put 18K on the car in 36 months. We then traded it on the Shelby. It was still in near perfect condition.

The Shelby was purchased used, but had been only carefully driven to shows and for fun on summer weekends by a meticulous previous owner (and had only 3700 miles on it). The plan was to drive it daily also for 36 months and then put it in the garage with our 55 Bel Air and keep it (hopefully with only 20K or so).

Well, it definitely doesn't do as well in the snow as our 06 auto car with the all weather tires, and it is killing me to see it dirty. But, I do have to say I am still enjoying driving it everyday!!!

Tomorrow we are expecting 6-9 inches in a winter storm. OH BOY! Went and filled the gas tank and added 250 pounds of salt in the trunk (carefully wrapped in garbage bags and only after pulling out the air kit and the wood/carpet set. Hopefully the extra 350 plus pounds will make it somewhat safe.

This should be fun!

Anyone else crazy like this?

:censored::censored::censored:

That being said, it is killing me to drive this car in the snow. We had an 06 GT that we drove year round and put 18K on the car in 36 months. We then traded it on the Shelby. It was still in near perfect condition.

The Shelby was purchased used, but had been only carefully driven to shows and for fun on summer weekends by a meticulous previous owner (and had only 3700 miles on it). The plan was to drive it daily also for 36 months and then put it in the garage with our 55 Bel Air and keep it (hopefully with only 20K or so).

Well, it definitely doesn't do as well in the snow as our 06 auto car with the all weather tires, and it is killing me to see it dirty. But, I do have to say I am still enjoying driving it everyday!!!

Tomorrow we are expecting 6-9 inches in a winter storm. OH BOY! Went and filled the gas tank and added 250 pounds of salt in the trunk (carefully wrapped in garbage bags and only after pulling out the air kit and the wood/carpet set. Hopefully the extra 350 plus pounds will make it somewhat safe.

This should be fun!

LOL ,,,Some say I'm crazy but mine is parked for the winter in good old Indiana.

Did it with a Trans-Am, a Dodge Ram SS/T truck, a Mazda RX-8... nothing crazy about it. I love rear-wheel-drive on good snow tires.

Haven't done it in the SGT... Last 2 years I had an extra car, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, so it wasn't neccessary, and now I live in the desert, so...

Jer

This should be fun!

I think you are crazy. :confused:

My SGT wont be drivin in snow EVER if I can prevent it.

Sitting in my garage, tied to a battery tender. :dance:

The only way I could swing the Shelby was to buy it as a "driver".

My wife and I already have 2 everyday cars plus my 2 boys cars in the driveway, in addition to our Bel Air and some other toys sleeping in the garage. A $500 beater is a possibility, and I have done that over the years, but I will resist if I can manage my nerves.

As I said, this car replaced our silver/red 06 GT which was driven for 3 seasons of these crappy winters with no real effects. I will drive this one for 36 months and then replace it with something else and this one can be re-detailed underneath and will go in the garage for nice days as a KEEPER.

In the meantime, I am LOVING driving it everyday, even in the nasty weather.

For general knowledge, the factory tires are WORTHLESS without weight in the back (maybe a .5 out of 10 rating). I carefully removed the spare air kit and rear carpet and placed 250 pounds of Morton salt wrapped tight in garbage bags in the spare well. With a full tank of gas, this seems ideal for good traction and safety, even with the performance tires (I would say a 3-4 out of 10 rating).

Here is a pic I took after driving to work this morning in 4-5 inches of goo!

post-24787-12628914132_thumb.jpg

post-24787-126289142599_thumb.jpg

post-24787-12628914132_thumb.jpg

post-24787-126289142599_thumb.jpg

My wife and I already have 2 everyday cars plus my 2 boys cars in the driveway, in addition to our Bel Air and some other toys sleeping in the garage. A $500 beater is a possibility, and I have done that over the years, but I will resist if I can manage my nerves.

As I said, this car replaced our silver/red 06 GT which was driven for 3 seasons of these crappy winters with no real effects. I will drive this one for 36 months and then replace it with something else and this one can be re-detailed underneath and will go in the garage for nice days as a KEEPER.

For general knowledge, the factory tires are WORTHLESS without weight in the back (maybe a .5 out of 10 rating). I carefully removed the spare air kit and rear carpet and placed 250 pounds of Morton salt wrapped tight in garbage bags in the spare well. With a full tank of gas, this seems ideal for good traction and safety, even with the performance tires (I would say a 3-4 out of 10 rating).

You have a supurb taste in cars!! I have a 56' 210 Gasser that I have been hanging onto and collecting parts to build it for awhile...and the white SGT is the sweetest Shelby IMO....

Dig your 55!!! Thanks for the pic!

This should be fun!

I drive mine all year round but not in the snow do to summer tires. Plus, I dont have to go work and I make my wife clean the snow since she loves the cold. Today was the 2nd time I was out of the house in 2 weeks and showered !!!!

I only drive mine in "Shelby Mustang weather", which means mostly sunny and not too cloudy! :shift:

+1

I think I would have a nervous breakdown :kuko: if I seen mine out in the snow / salt / sand, :cold: I can hardly stand to drive my pickup up here in this mess lol

Count me amoung the crazies.... I've been lucky the last 2 winters in that my work is letting me "snowbird" to Arizona in the winter and live in Colorado in the summer. The first winter I had my 07SGT I made a road trip to Phoenix from So. CO and got caught in a major storm on the return. I-40 was closed in ABQ, Wolf Creek Pass was closed, I had to make a 200 mi detour on snowpacked roads. Amazingly the car did real well and didn't slide around at all as long as I drove somewhat sane-ly. The worst part was driving into a blizzard in the dark and not being able to tell where I was. I turned back and found a motel. I did get sideways going over Wolf Creek Pass on a snowpacked road once....

Notice my avatar....

No rain or snow here in Sunny So Cal. I have only washed my car about 4 times in the last 2 years. It never sees rain and it doesn't snow here. It was 77 here today......bbbuuurrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! :hysterical:

I think part of that heat in Moreno Valley is generated by the bones of the old Riverside International Raceway, buried beneath the mall and other installations in the area:

RIR PICTURES

I think part of that heat in Moreno Valley is generated by the bones of the old Riverside International Raceway, buried beneath the mall and other installations in the area:

RIR PICTURES

What if we open a thread about how many people actually drive their cars in the snow...

Anyone interested in knowing the answer?

Hey 471. Thanks for the compliments.

Check out my fotki link below and view the tri five gasser files. Then send me some pics of your machine so I can add them! I think you will be surprised.

It is fun to hear the various comments here. Obviously I would like nothing better than to treat this car the way the previous owner did. 3700 miles in two and a half years, and all of those driven freshly waxed with the sun shining. I doubt that the car was ever washed with water during that time. On the other hand, I have knocked out over 6,000 miles in the last 8 months with a huge grin on my face and the car is not worse for wear. I have great respect for both regards.

My Bel Air sits in the garage most of the time due to too much carburetion, gearing, camshaft and also a too loud exhaust system. It is best enjoyed in short spurts (I drive it about an hour or two every weekend in the summer.) Though I love the feeling of banging through the gears in the Chevrolet, I enjoy the civilization of this Mustang greatly, and the fact that is very special but can still be driven without too much regret.

Still though, I look forward to putting it away in the garage.

In truth, that may be a sadder moment than driving it in the snow.

Hey 471. Thanks for the compliments.

Check out my fotki link below and view the tri five gasser files. Then send me some pics of your machine so I can add them! I think you will be surprised.

It is fun to hear the various comments here. Obviously I would like nothing better than to treat this car the way the previous owner did. 3700 miles in two and a half years, and all of those driven freshly waxed with the sun shining. I doubt that the car was ever washed with water during that time. On the other hand, I have knocked out over 6,000 miles in the last 8 months with a huge grin on my face and the car is not worse for wear. I have great respect for both regards.

My Bel Air sits in the garage most of the time due to too much carburetion, gearing, camshaft and also a too loud exhaust system. It is best enjoyed in short spurts (I drive it about an hour or two every weekend in the summer.) Though I love the feeling of banging through the gears in the Chevrolet, I enjoy the civilization of this Mustang greatly, and the fact that is very special but can still be driven without too much regret.

Still though, I look forward to putting it away in the garage.

In truth, that may be a sadder moment than driving it in the snow.

I would enjoy driving my Shelby in the snow, I am just scared to death to loose traction/control and an insurance deductable.

I drive a pick up in the winter, spinning my tires every chance I get. :shift: :happy feet: :yahoo:

RIR PICTURES

I think it's great that you actually said that the track was in Moreno Valley. Most eveyone says itr was Riverside because Moreno Valley was so small back then. What part of San Diego are you in?

Hmmmm let me see here in Southern AZ it's :shift: drivetime, and in winter it's :shift: dirvetime and in spring it's :shift: , yes drivetime. Sorry, I will put a few more miles on the Shelby for those that can't :shift: right now.

Don't be :cry: it will be spring soon somewhere. Oh I think it starts here tomorrow. :hysterical:

Wonder how theShelby Bash is going?

Hmmmm let me see here in Southern AZ it's :shift: drivetime, and in winter it's :shift: dirvetime and in spring it's :shift: , yes drivetime. Sorry, I will put a few more miles on the Shelby for those that can't :shift: right now.

Don't be :cry: it will be spring soon somewhere. Oh I think it starts here tomorrow. :hysterical:

Wonder how theShelby Bash is going?

Thank you for putting on the extra miles for those of us that are snow delayed.

I just have to say there is nothing like a white Christmas.

This is why I will NEVER EVER drive my SGT in the snow: I live in central Texas! :hysterical:

It does get driven in the rain ;)

Be careful saying "Never" about the snow. If it can snow in Central Florida, where 08SGT1036 sleeps, then it can snow in Central Texas. I thought it would never snow here either, but the high today was 34 (windchill is 25) with a rain/snow/sleet mix coming down. Mine will not be out of the garage today... doesn't come out in rain either though. Global warming? :doh:

I say good for you!!! I live in Dayton, Ohio. You have obviously read your Shelby supplement manual in your glovebox. The forward from Mr. Shelby........to summerize.....these cars are made to be DRIVEN. What good does a "garage queen" do when you're 6ft under. I've driven my Viper cross country. Shoot, I got my Prowler out just a couple weeks ago and drove it to church. It's about 4 degrees here in Dayton. I have a funeral tomorrow, friend only 53, I think I'll get the SGT out and drive it. Again, you drive yours everyday....good for you!

Archived