TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Air Filter on SGT

The Shelby supplemental manual that came with my SGT says to order an "air filter maintenance kit" from Shelby for cleaning the air filter. (Sounded similar to a K&N in that regard). When I called Shelby today, they said to contact Ford Racing for the kit. The guy at FRPP acted like he thought I was an idiot and said they don't carry any such item. (He also tried to tell me the SGT has the same intake/filter setup as the Bullitt !) He finally checked with someone else and said yes, the AF can be cleaned with regular soap and water and DOES NOT need any oil. I did a topic search on TS, but wasn't able to get an answer.

How and with what (and how ofter) should I clean the AF on my Shelby GT?

Seems like after selling several thousand of these cars, Shelby would have an instruction sheet or some kind of info on this very basic maintenance question.

All info appreciated.

I clean mine every other oil change. I rinse mine off with a hose (don't use a spray gun) and then spray it down with Simple Green. I let it sit a while and then rinse it out with water and let it air dry. Interesting that you found that it does not need oil. I've been oiling mine all along. :headscratch:

+1...

K&N sells the kit.

I think I actually got mine from www.steeda.com

Jer

I used Steeda to get the element cleaning kit and an OEM spare filter element. I liked this one, since it is the OEM blue color.

When the element needs cleaning, I install the spare then clean the dirty one a few days later. That way, I can clean the element at my leisure and not tie up the car. Mine’s a DD.

The spare element is:

281-STE100

Steeda Replacement Dual-Cone Filter Element $54.95

and the cleaning kits:

281-6005-01

Filter Cleaning Kit $12.95

http://www.steeda.com/products/2010-ford-mustang-cold-air-intake.php

Also, I worked as an engineer at a company that made air filtration systems for the engine inlet air on turbine powered helicopters. We used the same type of filter element. For this application, it was essential that the element material was impregnated in oil and not used dry.

I don’t know if the same is for the cars. I have heard that too much oil will disrupt the MAF readings.

I spoke with a guy on Steeda's tech line today. He indicated that Steeda manufactured the CAI for Ford Racing and that it did need cleaning with the Steeda kit including oil. Now, after reviewing the replys and threads above, the whole issue is about as controversial as Obama's birth certificate!

Interesting thing is, my air filter is not blue, and does not look like it ever was. Don't know if it's original, but since the car only had 6800 miles on it, I doubt the owner had changed or cleaned it. Maybe it IS the same one as the Bullitt! Who would've thought something as simple as an air filter could generate so much conflicting information.

I think I'm going to order a replacement filter from Steeda and clean it their way, with their kit, including oil (being careful not to over oil). At least everyting will be consistent from the same source.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I spoke with a guy on Steeda's tech line today. He indicated that Steeda manufactured the CAI for Ford Racing and that it did need cleaning with the Steeda kit including oil. Now, after reviewing the replys and threads above, the whole issue is about as controversial as Obama's birth certificate!

Interesting thing is, my air filter is not blue, and does not look like it ever was. Don't know if it's original, but since the car only had 6800 miles on it, I doubt the owner had changed or cleaned it. Maybe it IS the same one as the Bullitt! Who would've thought something as simple as an air filter could generate so much conflicting information.

I think I'm going to order a replacement filter from Steeda and clean it their way, with their kit, including oil (being careful not to over oil). At least everyting will be consistent from the same source.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I hear ya!

I got my car new and there was no oil on it so who knows. It's working so I don't think I'm going to mess with it...at least for now.

Interesting thing is, my air filter is not blue, and does not look like it ever was. Don't know if it's original, but since the car only had 6800 miles on it, I doubt the owner had changed or cleaned it.

The blue color goes away pretty fast.

I picked mine up new, literally off of the showroom floor. Its filter was a light gray, too. Most of the pictures I had seen on the internet showed a blue filter, so I thought mine was changed or something.

After several months’ ownership, I decided to clean the filter. When I took it off the car, I noticed the backside of the element still had a shade of blue. After I cleaned it, I used the blue oil from Steeda. It was a nice blue, but it didn't last very long as the dirt it trapped turned its color back to the light gray.

I certainly can't say they all came with blue oil, but that was the experience with mine. :)

A word of caution if you do decide to clean and re-oil. Don't use too much oil as the MAF will be seriously affected.

Good Luck!!

The blue color goes away pretty fast.

I picked mine up new, literally off of the showroom floor. Its filter was a light gray, too. Most of the pictures I had seen on the internet showed a blue filter, so I thought mine was changed or something.

After several months’ ownership, I decided to clean the filter. When I took it off the car, I noticed the backside of the element still had a shade of blue. After I cleaned it, I used the blue oil from Steeda. It was a nice blue, but it didn't last very long as the dirt it trapped turned its color back to the light gray.

I certainly can't say they all came with blue oil, but that was the experience with mine. :)

A word of caution if you do decide to clean and re-oil. Don't use too much oil as the MAF will be seriously affected.

Good Luck!!

Sounds like the filter is designed to be oiled, but a lot of owners over-oiled, generating MAF sensor complaints and warranty claims. Since the "proper" amount of oil is a difficult endpoint to define and describe, the simplest thing to do would be to tell owners not to oil them at all. My filter is as described above, light brownish gray. Possibly the under hood heat plus dust in the air changes the blue color of the oil pretty quickly.

• 5 weeks later...

I always over do things anyway but never noticed any issues with an over oil / still wet filter situation. : ) Should I worry?

I bought the car new with 28miles and mine was never blue. It is one of the first 200 cars if that makes a dif. U guys like pic. Here it was unmolested in march of 07

filter.jpg

Mike

I've use K&N stuff. I was not told or given instructions on filter maint for the car. Did I get shorted on a manual or something. Not that I would read it.

filter.jpg

I always over do things anyway but never noticed any issues with an over oil / still wet filter situation. : ) Should I worry?

FWIW, I have been told by a number of sources that if there's too much oil on the filter element, that oil can get blown onto the MAF sensor wire. If that happens, then the MAF either needs to be replaced or well cleaned.

The service manager at the local Ford dealer told me he's seen a few cars with K&N filters that it's happened to.

So, I go a lttle light on the oil. :)

I bought the car new with 28miles and mine was never blue. It is one of the first 200 cars if that makes a dif. U guys like pic. Here it was unmolested in march of 07

post-10954-126539411317_thumb.jpg

Mike

I've use K&N stuff. I was not told or given instructions on filter maint for the car. Did I get shorted on a manual or something. Not that I would read it.

Mine was never blue either (#547)... From day 1, I've used the K&N Kit that comes with red oil in a spray can... Clean it, let it dry overnight and lightly re-spray with the oil...

And YES, I did read the instruction sheet that came with the kit jackinbox.gif

Gregg

07SGT0547

Archived