TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bunny needs a Transplant....

Blip

It warmed up to 25 this afternoon so I was going to take the Rabbit out for a quick trip to pickup my son after a sleepover,

and guess what. The bunny battery was almost dead.

Hooked it up to my trickle charger and it started up fine a 1/2 hour later.

I know during it's long stay at Tasca, the battery was run down several times.

Looks like I'll be replacing it this week.

It's been years since I've last bought a battery for a performance car so looking for any suggestions on a replacement.

Don't really care about staying factory original, looking for the best cold cranking one out there. Remember seeing some good

comments years ago on another site about using the yellow or red top Optima ones.

I don't have a recommendation for best brands but I have read about clearance issues from the battery terminals and the hood. FWIW

Thanks--hadn't given any thought to the height of a replacement battery.

Time to get out the tape measure.

Hood clearance in not an issue, and yes if the battery had been run down several time, I'm sure it has sulfated cells in it.

Optima is a good choice for a gel type battery, and Interstate makes a nice wet style battery, either way, I never expect any battery to lat more than two years, this is on the average, more people get more use out of a battery than that, but just to let you know, and not get you all safe and secure, 2 years.

This is being said after I have been using the battery in my F150 for 7 years now, I plan for it to croak and day.

Cost wise the gel will be considerable more, to get anything with more CCA's in the same package you can look at a deep cycle marine battery, but there again, $$$$

Thanks--Most of the batteries in our daily drivers last 3 to 4 years, so I'm okay with the time frame of 2+ years.

For the Terlingua, it will probably only average 1 to 2 trips a week at the most, so would a gel type battery better handle

not being fed by the charging system for a week or 2 at a time?

Our current garage is not heated or insulated and had not started the Terlingua for 16 days. Night time temps have been below 10 for the last few days.

All that did not help the current battery.

Hey Blip! Your title gave me a scare! I thought you were having engine problems...but, thank goodness just a battery...like Jeff has said the Optima is a great choice...yep, the cold will sure kill them...

Blip i forget was your car new or used;if under warrenty make FoMoCo put a new battery in it then when expires spring for a high$ gel one!

By then You'll have all kinds of nasty mods and need more CCA

Doc Scott

Remember that these computer controlled cars have a constant drain when not used, 3 weeks is about tops for the battery if not left on a battery tender. I have 10 battery tenders and need more, using one on a car you don't drive regularly should be done, it will greatly increase your battery life too.

If you do need a new battery get the yellow top Optima, not the red top. The yellow top is a deep cycle/starting battery where the red top is just a starting battery. The red top doesn't like getting drained, and won't last long if you let it die. The yellow top, being a deep cycle and starting battery, is OK with getting drained. As my red tops die I am replacing them with yellow tops.

I agree w/ the yellow top recommendation, but qualify that with i haven't used on for myself yet... they are designed for performance boats, and will be better for vehicles that are NOT driven every day as such... if you drive daily, and just store it during winter months, red vs. yellow won't matter... BUT I'd also say, since the cost of the optimas are at least double that of a standard "good" battery, I would consider just buying normal ones and being prepared to replace them often...

Probably not my most helpful post....

CSX4350--Thanks for the info about the yellow top, I'll price one out. It's living on a battery tender right now.

Never had this problem with any of my Saleens and they would sometimes sit for 3 weeks, but I was the initial owner for each.

Know that other Saleen owners would have problems after just 10 days, so I guess it's now my turn for battery fun.

Doc Scott--it is a used program car (26k miles when I got it), so no warranty coverage for me.

Charge it fully and put a load tester on it. If it started after a half hour charge I'd bet the battery is good. No sense in replacing it if it's not bad. You can get a battery maintainer at Wal-Mart for about $21, I bought a couple on Saturday for two cars that don't get driven enough. Even if you drive it once every 7 to 10 days, you're still giving your alternator an unecessary workout that won't contribute to its long life. I got a royal butt-chewing recently from a mechanic about using the alternator to charge the battery.

I just bought a yellow top last week at Sam's for $179.31 with my core and tax, they're not cheap. Then again even a "cheap" battery is pushing $75 these days.

Also, not sure if you've read many posts on other late model mustangs, but there is an issue with discharging batteries out there. Not sure if it's the same on the 6 cyl cars but probably. Nothing against getting a new good battery, but it is possible that your current battery is still ok. I don't know that anybody has ever really found the true reason for the batteries discharging at times. I had battery problems a few times. I've read different theories and reasons for the battery going dead. Sometimes I can let my car sit for a month and the battery will be fine. However I have also had it totally drain in 4 days. I've read some guys having luck making sure that the stereo is off before turning off your car. I always do that now and haven't had problems since, but not positive that this is the issue or not. I do keep a battery maintainer on my car over the winter now and any time that I will not be driving it for a while. Battery Tenders are probably the best, but I have a few of the Schumacher brands from WalMart and like them a lot and have had zero problems with them.

Also, not sure if you've read many posts on other late model mustangs, but there is an issue with discharging batteries out there. Not sure if it's the same on the 6 cyl cars but probably. Nothing against getting a new good battery, but it is possible that your current battery is still ok. I don't know that anybody has ever really found the true reason for the batteries discharging at times. I had battery problems a few times. I've read different theories and reasons for the battery going dead. Sometimes I can let my car sit for a month and the battery will be fine. However I have also had it totally drain in 4 days. I've read some guys having luck making sure that the stereo is off before turning off your car. I always do that now and haven't had problems since, but not positive that this is the issue or not. I do keep a battery maintainer on my car over the winter now and any time that I will not be driving it for a while. Battery Tenders are probably the best, but I have a few of the Schumacher brands from WalMart and like them a lot and have had zero problems with them.

Some of this also has to do with a faulty "Body Control / G.E.M. modual" , I just went through this issue on my wife's Cobra clone, the first place to look was the audio system but after she diagnosed that wasn't the problem, she found out it was the body control modual causing all the probelms, $502 part replacement :rant2:

Everything chassis wise runs through it, audio, pwr windows/locks, instrumentation, interior and exterior illumination, SRS, PATS and inputs from the ABS and PCM.

I use a yellow top and i have abused it somewhat, running my stereo and letting it sit for weeks. Since I installed the yellowtop I have not had a discharged or low battery. It seems to handle the mystery car drain that afflicts most of these mustangs. plus you never have to worry about corrosion.

Have been surviving on the battery charger set on trickle, so it fired right up this morning. Hope to get over to the parts store in the next day or two for a "yellow top."

This was an ongoing problem while the car sat for months at Tasca and this is may be the original battery, so I'm sure it's time is just about up.

Today we warmed up to about 31--it's a heat way. ( I do know some of you are getting much colder temps than us, so stay warm.)

Okay ran across another small puzzle in buying a yellow top Optima.

Local parts store carries two types that will fit my Mustang, a group size 35 for $224 and

a size 75 for $184. Both rated at 620 CCA.

The cheaper size 75 is a dual terminal unit with top and side connections.

Other than that, seems to be no difference--am I missing something?

Forgot to add the the 35 is in stock while the 75 must be ordered online(free shipping).

Archived