TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Alloy Dave's car arrived on 1/3/06

Alloy Dave

On Tuesday, January 02, 2007, at 4:40 pm, the phone rang.

Me: “Hello, this is Dave”

Ford salesman: “Hi Dave, how are you”

Me: “Oh, hi Rick, how was your holiday?”

Rick: “Guess what just hit the ground?”

Me: “Oh, my car is there?”

Rick: “Yes it is…it just rolled off the truck.”

Me: “What time do you close?”

Rick: “We won’t be able to do anything with it tonight…our service department closes in 20 minutes. Stop by tomorrow morning at 9 and we’ll get you set up.”

Me: “Ok, see you then.”

Later that night I boxed up all the “must take with me to the dealer” items and asked my wife if she could drive me the 30 minutes to the dealership the next day. I called my insurance company and left them a voicemail.

The next morning we arrived at the dealer at 8:45. The sales manager was not there yet, so the service guys let us go back and look at the car…hidden in a back bay. It was filthy, but good to finally see nonetheless. It was locked, and the sales manager had taken the keys home (good). I walked around and checked the obvious things like the air dam and striping (which were both perfect), then snapped a few photos. They had not touched the car since it came off the car hauler. Interestingly, it did not have the white plastic sheet on the front bumper that I had seen on other cars (and the sales manager later said they did not remove it…it wasn’t there in the first place). However, all the other plastic was intact.

I had told Rick not to do anything to the car until I got there…so they didn’t. Later, during the PDI, they mounted the antenna and checked all the listed items, but that’s about it. Per my instructions, they did not put on the locking lug nuts or floor mats.

Fifteen minutes later Rick arrived. He opened the car, let me sit in it, and asked me to read the mileage…6.4 miles. He then got in the car and drove around to the PDI bay. While the PDI was being done, I was in the sales office pushing Rick for the VIN explosion on Tech Oasis (he had never heard of this). He found the info, but it was all in separate pages, there was no way to print it all at once. There were about 30 sections (i.e. suspension, starting, electrical, A/C, etc.), and each of those had 3-10 subsections. It would have required either printing or copying hundreds of pdf files, so I told him I’d see if someone knew how to download it all at once (any advice out there?).

Matlock Ford in Franklin, Indiana is a family-owned and operated business that’s been in the family for generations. As soon as people found out I was the GT500 buyer, I got to meet the whole family :grouphug: ….and then some. I met Rick’s mom and dad as well as his two sisters…all of these folks worked there. This was their one and only GT500 allocation for the year.

After 2 full hours of information probing and family hand-shaking, Rick sent me over to the finance office to see Holly. Holly was also a Mustang enthusiast. She had just received an engagement ring at Christmas from a guy she’d been dating for 7 years. She had a picture on her desk of him crouching in front of a ’69 Mustang Fastback that he’d completed a rotisserie restoration on. She was in awe of the GT500, and told me how badly she’d wanted one. I offered to take a picture of her with the car, but she said if she took a picture like that home, her husband would start a crusade to buy one…and she didn’t want that. :hysterical:

Holly called my credit union, faxed my credit app, told Rick it would take her about 30 minutes to fill out all the paperwork, and recommended he take me out for lunch. Rick took me to Chili’s in his truck…we couldn’t take the Mustang since the paperwork wasn’t final.

When we returned to the dealership, I finalized loan papers, and Holly came out and took some pictures of Rick handing me the keys. I jumped in the car with Rick, we went just a few hundred yards down the road, and he asked me to pull into Sunoco. He whipped out a gas credit card, and we filled up with 94 octane. Yes…I was surprised…don’t see 94 very often these days.

We chatted for a few more minutes, shook hands, and I told them I’d be back in the next week to get the title work. I offered Holly a ride, but when I told her the supercharger was not yet active, she said she’d wait until I came back for my title work. By then it was 2:15, and I headed out. In summary, my dealership was very good to work with, honest and fair with me, and respected all my wishes. I will be writing them a letter and sending a framed picture along with it for them to hang in their showroom.

The dealership is 25 miles from my house. I have a couple friends that work near the dealer, so I decided to pay them a surprise visit. I knew it was about 6 miles to their location, but I didn’t want the supercharger to come on yet (I wanted to better understand the “valet” condition so I could compare it to the “uninhibited” condition). I pulled over at 4 miles, turned the car off, then started it back up…problem solved. My two friends were glad I finally had it, and others from their company came out to look also. I then headed home. On the trip home, I varied speeds and loads purposefully. I made moderate controlled stops to properly set the brakes. I noticed the supercharger started working…when the odometer read 23 miles (the PDI drive was a 4 mile ride, so the car had about 10.7 miles on it when I left the dealership).

When I got home, it was 4 pm. Sunset is about 5:40. I had to hurry. I pulled out all my Autogeek and Zaino equipment and gave it a quick wash of the exterior. I got it completed about 5:15 and snapped some photos. I’ll have to complete the job over the weekend. My wife and I then went out for a celebratory ride and dinner at 8:00…she had to work late since she took the morning off to help me get to the dealership. She absolutely loved the car…she was giggling like a high-schooler with even moderate application of the throttle. She said “I can feel it in my chest”.

I have never owned a modern musclecar. I do have a ’69 …ahem…Camaro, but it’s definitely not modern. I also owned a ’89 Supercharged Toyota MR2, but it was a completely different feel of car….high RPM/low torque/2800 lbs. This car is the real deal…it’s strong. It doesn’t “feel” as powerful as my Camaro, but that’s because the power is so linear and neutral that there is no apex. The fact that it’s modern makes it feel slower because it’s quiet and supple compared to the Camaro. But when you are tooling around town, just barely get into 2nd gear and look down at a 50 MPH speedo count…wow….back off. I drove lots of cars looking for a new car in 2002…but none were powerful enough. So I waited.

Well…the waiting has paid off!

First impressions and things I like

• Power is linear and strong
  • Shifter/trans combo is nice, although I’d like the shift knob back about 1”.
  • Car is simple, perhaps a bit too simple on the interior…but I admit I like the fact that Ford spent all the money on the drivetrain, brakes, and tires.
  • Visibility is good, the mirrors are large…and I like that
  • I love the crimson inserts! The seats are comfortable too.
  • The valet tune was a great idea. However, how about requiring the driver to enter a code to disable it? Ford could create a 4-digit code for each VIN. The owner would either open a sealed envelope in the owner’s manual to get the code or call an automated phone line at Ford to get it. The owner could then activate or deactivate the valet at any time they wanted by entering this code.
  • Trunk space is surprisingly big for a car like this…I’m impressed.
  • Handling is good, better than my nimble MR2 was…and compared to my Camaro…well…that’s like comparing a cell phone to 2 dixie cups connected by a string.

Suggestions for Ford to improve

• Red stitching only belongs in a car color which looks good with red. Shame on you for red stitching in a white/blue, blue/anything, or orange/anything car.
  • Black plastic mirrors on this car? Shame on you…they should be body colored.
  • The center console lid is almost a good arm rest…but it needs to be extended slightly forward. I know, this complicates the cup holders…but those are nearly unusable anyway given they are directly in the shift line. Alternatively, a slightly different shifter handle would remedy this…bend it back a bit.
  • The e-brake is awkward to apply
  • What’s up with not having an “off” switch on the heater fan? I know you can turn the system off via the “mode” selector, but then you have to “re-find” your favorite mode…this is awkward. Put the off switch on the fan control.
  • The tach and speedo are awesome, but the other gauges are too small and recessed too far. Also I wonder if angling the tach and speedo slightly towards the driver’s eyeline would improve visibility since they are spread apart so far. Do some testing on this.
  • No remote gas cap door release? Shame on you again.

You’re probably saying…Ford avoided a lot of the things you mentioned to keep costs down. Well, there are some things I could do without. So remove them and add the important things.

• Remove the rear window defroster. I mean really…you put a label on the car stating the tires should not be used below 40 degrees F, then you put a rear defroster on it? That makes as much sense as how on Microsoft windows you click on the “Start” button to shut down your computer.
  • You put hydraulic cylinders on the trunk lid, but not the hood? Swap the arrangement…it’s more needed on the hood.
  • I like the small black front air dam, but I’d be willing to give it up if you could instead install the remote fuel door I mentioned above.
  • Put the remote buttons on the actual key…don’t use a FOB at all. You may have to make the key a bit larger…but it would eliminate the owner having to carry both the key and the FOB. They do this in Europe…check it out. I have 3 cars…I can’t fit all the keys and FOBs in my pocket. This appears to be a no-cost improvement…and should be across all products, not just Mustang. If you worry this would make replacement keys expensive…that’s easy…make the metal part of the key removable from the plastic part. That way the owner can get just the new metal part made if they want many spares or for some other reason.

Overall I love the car. Make some of the minor improvements and keep up the good work!

I was going to develop a photo album, but it said max file says was 80 kb, so I'll post here. I took a total of 90 photos yesterday...so this is just a sampling. And since it was cloudy and near sunset, the lighting is not that great. I'll post better ones when we get some sunshine...in May. :hysterical2:

Lastly, you may wonder why this is the first you heard of my arrival even though I knew about it 2 days ago. The answer is, you guys would be nagging me to death for pictures. :rant::hysterical:

AD

post-3382-1167961472_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962123_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962153_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962201_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962228_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962271_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962297_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962326_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962359_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962402_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962433_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962471_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167961472_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962123_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962153_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962201_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962228_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962271_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962297_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962326_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962359_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962402_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962433_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167962471_thumb.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome car, awesome color, and great story!

Congratulations Dave! :banana piano:

Hopefully this winter will pass quickly for you, and you'll get to enjoy it in some nice sunny weather!

(I need to arrange a trip to Indy sometime, to see my car's big brother!)

- Tony

Congratulations Dave,

Take advantage of the unseasonably warm weather us Indiana people are enjoying and drive her while you can.

Be careful, it won't hook up on the cold asphalt.

Looking foreword to meeting you at the Spring Fling in Brown County.

Enjoy,

Alan

:party2: :party2: :party2: :party2: :party2: :party2:

+500 Congrats Dave I know the feeling my car just arrived today at skillman. It is washed and ready to roll 14.5 miles. Awesome car! Will p/u tommorrow if not raining.

Awesome...I've been to Skillman many times. Looks like rain Friday. :rant:

Great story Dave, and awesome news. Do you understand now how fast the PSDS goes away now? :hysterical: You made some very good points, but I don't think Ford is listening. It is great that your wife loves the car. So is the 'maro really going to come back home now? How does your sheep like it? ...Oops I guess this isn't 'off topic forum', disregard that last question.

:happy feet: :banana piano: :happy feet: :banana piano: :happy feet: :banana piano: :happy feet:

Yes, I'm keeping the 'maro...it's a completely different experience. I don't think I'll be buying an '09 'maro though...don't like the looks...plus I'm mad because they abandoned the platform...they'll have to earn me back over years. :hysterical:

Sofi the goat will not be able to ride in this car due to toenails and leather not being a good match. I found out last night she's afraid of the exhaust sound...AT IDLE. :hysterical:

Dave

Awesome car, awesome color, and great story!

Congratulations Dave! :banana piano:

Hopefully this winter will pass quickly for you, and you'll get to enjoy it in some nice sunny weather!

(I need to arrange a trip to Indy sometime, to see my car's big brother!)

- Tony

Thanks Tony....yes, I'm sure there will be a group of us get together...lots of people within a few hours drive of Indy.

By the way, I love the color of your car. :hysterical2:

Dave

Congratulations Dave,

Take advantage of the unseasonably warm weather us Indiana people are enjoying and drive her while you can.

Be careful, it won't hook up on the cold asphalt.

Looking foreword to meeting you at the Spring Fling in Brown County.

Enjoy,

Alan

:party2: :party2: :party2: :party2: :party2: :party2:

Thanks Alan...awesome re: spring fling. I've never attended before, but it sounds great. It's only 25 minutes from my house too.

Dave

Boy, it's hard to say thanks to everyone...I don't want to be rude and leave people out. Thanks ati, thanks 69deluxe, red07, shelby001, thanks Tom, Dick, and Harry. :hysterical2:

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes. I think Sunday is our next 'non-rainy' day...so I'll be out Sunday in temperatures above 40 degrees. :hysterical:

Dave

Dave

Thanks Tony....yes, I'm sure there will be a group of us get together...lots of people within a few hours drive of Indy.

By the way, I love the color of your car. :hysterical2:

Dave

I'm planning on a trip to the track for a practice day with the wife & kids... but we'll have to take the minivan down, instead of my car. Still, maybe we should think ahead and try and gather a few of us at the track - could be a great day!

- Tony

Terry1234,

Congrats my man. You got it. :happy feet: I am really diggin your car. I love your interior, it goes so well with your color combo. You have been tortured for along time, and now the reward is here. Enjoy it my friend.

Dave

it made my day hearing that you got your shelby. Great news!!! :happy feet: :happy feet:

Love the photos and the story of its delivery. Having just gone through that a couple of weekends ago, I think I know the excitement you are experiencing.

take care

John

Dave,

I'm glad you got it - I know you wanted badly before driving mine and worse after. Now the fun really begins since you have the initial investment and a base to buildon :)

Look forward to our next meeting - maybe we should start our own Shelby club around here since the mustang club seems to be stuck on 2006 still :)

Well Dave, looks like you beat me to the car. Congrats! I am wondering if my car was stolen from the railyard. Or the dealer sold it out from under me. Again.

Are those tungsten or satin stripes??

Thanks 442. The stripes are satin..I didn't think the Tungsten provided enough contrast for me. Although if you are looking for a more subtle or stealthy look, they may be better.

Dave

Congrats Dave, That's one heck of a write up. I've got hand it to ya', I couln't even breath when I seen mine for the first time. This is by far the best looking combo IMO.... :hysterical:

Happy new year brother!!!!! :hyper: :hyper:

Thanks lambbo. Keep up the good work over there, thank you for your hard work on my behalf.

I was torn on color between Alloy and Tungsten, but the tungsten had some purple in cloudy conditions that I didn't like. In bright sun, I think the tungsten is gorgeous.

Dave

Right On 1234

Glad to see that you got your ride.

Drive your ass off bud !

Enjoy

R

Thanks R (I think that's Robert :hysterical: ). I will drive on non-rainy, non-snowy, non-salt-covered days. Is that too many restrictions? :hysterical2:

Congrats on getting it! Its a real looker. Nice pick up story as well. :happy feet: :hyper: :happy feet:

I think your comments on the keeps and discards are right on the money too.

KC666

Thanks King. I didn't want the discards to come off as complaints...most of them are minor. Just a chance for them to make some improvements. I love the car.

I am glad you have your car finally. Enjoy. It seems that mine and yours are not far apart. Mine is 267880.

Hope yours comes soon....and I want to see it in front of some unusual "non-US" feature...like a fijord or a windmill or something. That would be neat.

Dave

Dave,

I'm glad you got it - I know you wanted badly before driving mine and worse after. Now the fun really begins since you have the initial investment and a base to buildon :)

Look forward to our next meeting - maybe we should start our own Shelby club around here since the mustang club seems to be stuck on 2006 still :)

Thanks ice.

Our own Shelby club...hmmmmm. What do you mean by they are "stuck on 2006"? Are you a member of their club?

P.S. PM me your email address, I have a bit of info for you.

Dave

Dave congrats to you buddy! Just wait, there is so much fun ahead of you with this car you can't even imagine it yet. It's a celebrity on to itself. People actually stop on the street and point at the car. Look in your rear view mirror at stop lights and stop and go traffic, and don't be suprise by "cell phone paparazzi" taking a picture from behind. The number one picture taken of my car is the rear "gas cap". I have had at least 100 close-up pictures taken of that badge. Park it in a public area; take a seat a few feet away and quietly just watch the people stop and stare at the car. When you get in or get out of the car, be prepaired to anwser many questions like "how much horsepower does it have"? "How much did you pay for it"? (a rude Q if you ask me, but people do ask). "Is it fast"? (duh). On yes, maybe it's just an LA thing, but you will be approached by beautful women telling you how much they love the car.

Yea, it's really difficult to own and drive this car. :hysterical:

One last thing. Will you please check the underside of your hood right away and let us know the condition of the finish right above the backside of the blower? Being that you just took delivery, you would be an excellent source of baseline information regarding this paint issue that's being discussed in another thread here.

Thanks, and congrats to you again.

SoGT

"How much did you pay for it"? (a rude Q if you ask me, but people do ask). "

I agree it's rude, but I just politely answer by saying "The MSRP is about $41,000". Let them figure out the rest.

maybe it's just an LA thing, but you will be approached by beautful women telling you how much they love the car.

My wife has expressed her concern...saying the "ladies will be all over you". I just roll my eyes. I'm happily married...she says it kiddingly (SCGT...is kiddingly a word? If not, I'll "bush-i-cize" it and make it one :hysterical: ).

One last thing. Will you please check the underside of your hood right away and let us know the condition of the finsh right above the backside of the blower? Being that you just took delivery, you would be an excellent source of baseline information regarding this paint issue that's being discussed in another thread here.

I ran my finger across there at the dealer..felt small bumps. But the lighting was not good enough to really look at it well. I've not been into the supercharger much yet....so I'll get a pic or two in the next couple days and post them on that thread. I wish we'd get a sunny day here so I can really look this thing over.

Thanks again for your kind comments Son.

Dave

Dave,

Congrats. I agree with many items on your add/delet list. Also kudos on your color choice. We all know, though many may not openly admit it, that Alloy is the classiest color.

Enjoy.

Regarding your first comment....thanks.

Now on that 2nd comment......

:hysterical2::hysterical2:

AND

:hysterical::hysterical:

AND

:yahoo::woot::woot::woot:

Dave,

Congrats. I agree with many items on your add/delet list. Also kudos on your color choice. We all know, though many may not openly admit it, that Alloy is the classiest color.

Enjoy.

No Orf, we Grabber guys think that our color is the best. :finger::poke:

Archived