TEAM SHELBY FORUM

breaking bellhousing from trans

What's the trick? :headscratch:

The only bells I've ever removed are those from a bygone era. This thing is quite the contraption. I've got it shifted into neutral and all the bolts out from the inside of the bellhousing. This allowed the bell to pop free from the trans about an inch, but it's still bound up on something that I'm not seeing. Any help is much appreciated.

Ken

EDIT: Judging by the Valdez sized spill of trans fluid on my garage floor, I'm thinking that maybe the bell serves as the front cover for the trans case and isn't something that should be removed for the hell of it.

Ken,

Transmission view for 2005 Mustang assume it is similar:

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/t5od_transmission.pdf

Wonder if this part is why you lost fluid:

36 7050 Input shaft bearing retainer

^Thanks a lot for the link Larry, but that's a different trans than what I've got.

I'll grab the number from the case real quick.

EDIT: It's a TR3650 - http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=284&viewfile=Transmission.pdf

I think I may have lost a detent inside the case. The bell is bound up and won't slip back over the dowels like it was. The input shaft won't turn either after all the messing with it that I did, trying to get the bellhousing off. It looks like I need a huge Torx bit to get the detent plugs out of the side of the bellhousing. I guess I should have looked at this diagram before tearing it apart.

^Thanks a lot for the link Larry, but that's a different trans than what I've got.

I'll grab the number from the case real quick.

EDIT: It's a TR3650 - http://iihs.net/fsm/...ransmission.pdf

I think I may have lost a detent inside the case. The bell is bound up and won't slip back over the dowels like it was. The input shaft won't turn either after all the messing with it that I did, trying to get the bellhousing off. It looks like I need a huge Torx bit to get the detent plugs out of the side of the bellhousing. I guess I should have looked at this diagram before tearing it apart.

Ken sure looks like you are correct.

page 7 of your link details removing the housing:

CAUTION: Do not remove all the bolts while in the horizontal position.

Remove the bolts.

• Rotate the transmission to a horizontal position. Remove 12 bolts, leaving 2 opposing bolts in. Rotate the transmission to a vertical position, then remove the remaining 2 bolts.

Carefully pry the clutch housing from the transmission main case.

Remove the transmission main case from the clutch housing.

The countershaft bearing will remain in the housing. Lightly tap the bearing to remove.

Hope you are able to get it removed without too much more trouble.

^I honestly didn't realize that this bell was the front of the trans case too. The only bells I've ever removed were separate from the trans and simply attached to the front of the cases (as opposed to being a part of the case itself).

So now I really just need to get this thing back together. I guess a trip to the transmission shop is in order. I don't know enough of what I'm doing to continue monkeying with this thing. I thought about having it inspected anyway, while it was out, so now my own idiocy is as good an excuse as any to follow through with that. ;)

Ken

Archived