TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 Tire Circumference

mullens

I'm about to install a pro cal tune. Those of you who have custom or pro cal tunes, what tire circumference did you use? The tire calculator says 285/35/19's are 84.4", which calculates to 751 revs per mile. When I measured my tires it was closer to 83.5". Anybody do the GPS thing?

Thanks

I'm about to install a pro cal tune. Those of you who have custom or pro cal tunes, what tire circumference did you use? The tire calculator says 285/35/19's are 84.4", which calculates to 751 revs per mile. When I measured my tires it was closer to 83.5". Anybody do the GPS thing?

Thanks

[/quote

Well circumference of a circle is 2 X 3.1418 X the radius (half the diameter).So measure the cenetr of the wheel to the surface of the tire,and that should be it.Id use the part of the tire thats on the floor,since the tire will be depressed as it rides--te multipier I used ia actually called PI,and you can get a more precise math for the number.

Thanks...with a 13.175 radius it comes out to 765 revs per mile. I put the ruler flat on the floor and measured to center of the wheel.

Pi is actually 3.14159,so the math is 82.7. in for the circumferenceA mile is 5280ft which is 765 turns---that should be it.Wonder where they got the numbers they have.Im gussing they just used the wheel size,or a much narrower tire.But phsics dont lie,so the 765 shoiuld be correct--If the tires were hot it might be a little lower turns--you might try measuring when theyre hot and see how much difference it makes in the radius.Figure they must have measured the tire not resting on the ground,and got a bigger radius,this fewer turns--bob

I didn't think of doing the 2pi r equation but it makes a lot of sense. Yes, the guys listing the circumference in the tire calculators are measuring an unsprung tire on the showroom. Even the 07-09 285/18's are listed at 84.7" which I know is way too big. I think the guys are using 82" for that tire.

Hi -

What is the advantage of using the FRRP pro cal tune if you are running your car with no mods?

Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread and change subject... I could not find any info in forums other than using a custom tune when changing supercharger, etc.

Thanks,

M.

Archived