TEAM SHELBY FORUM

20x11" Razors

gt67

My tire project has finally come to an end. First, I bought a new set of 20" Razors with a backspace of 6" and a 5 X 4 1/2" bolt pattern. I sent them to Weldcraft to add 2" for a 11" wheel. James and Kirt did a great job, not one mark or blemish on the wheels. I worried about them getting damaged by the shipper on the way back home. Flyboy, you could have dropped them out of your plane over my house and would not have put a scratch on them the way Weldcraft had them packed.

I like the look of our lower suspension and did not want to fool around raising the car up, so I went with Pirelli P Zero Nero 305/30/20. As you can see from the pictures they are a 1/4 inch less than the stock tire in height. Toyo makes this tire also, but I wanted Pirellis on all four corners. The tire is 27 3/16" tall and around 12 1/4" wide with 40 psi. There is less tire bulge than the stock tire. I thought I would be around 3/4"-7/8" away from the shock, but with the less bulge, I ended up 1 1/4". The bump stop bracket was no issue at all. The only mod I did was removed the brake duct. So I ended up 1 1/4" to the closest point in the wheelwell.

I ordered a new set of sensor bands with brackets from American Muscle to finish the job. SAI left the sensors in the original tires. All we had to do was let the air out, break the bead and push down with his tire machine at 180 degrees from the valve stem to expose the sensor. The sensor snapped right out of the bracket. Did not have to removed the tire from the wheel. Snapped the sensor in the new bracket, and it was a done deal. I also order new valve stems from Mr. Gasket #1955 short style chrome which are the same ones SAI uses. I hope this helps anyone who wants to widen their tires, it took a lot of research and time to gather this info.

I really appreciate all the help from Lee Novikoff over in the Super Snake forum.

PS: This is the first time posting photos. Hope it works!

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

Are the tires installed? Any rubbing etc? I want to do the exact same thing.

Yes, the tires are installed and the height is 1/4" less than the Pirelli 275. On the width I could have gone 1/2" wider but the 315s or 325's come one inch wider which would have been very close to the shock boot and the bump stop bracket. To put the car back to original all I have to do is take the 5 lug nuts off and put the 275 40th back on. If you would like send me a pm , I can give you details over the phone.

If Don doesn't get around to taking PICS of these on the car by Saturday, I'll be sure to take some and post up, as well as provide some feedback on any traction issues shift.gif

[/quot

Hmmmm..... YOU WISHhysterical.gif

Thanks fo all the great info on the wider wheels. Today I ordered the last 2 silver razor wheels in stock at Shelby Performance and had them sent off to WeldCraft for the 2" modification. Checked out the price of the new tires today and just about fell on the floor, $900 ea for the 305's!! Going out to do some more shopping on the tires for sure. Bought new bands and sensors from the local Ford dealer, so I just need to get the valve stems now, car will be ready for Spring if it every arrives.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear you're going with the 11'' wheels. Traction is the name of the game. Good luck, now it's going to be even a longer wait till spring.

So how does it look and ride? Any pictures.

I am thinking of going with th 295...a lot more tire options, a bit thicker sidewall with only a little raising of the car...would anything change to your specs if i did that.

For example, should I drop to a 10.5 rim?

So how does it look and ride? Any pictures.

I am thinking of going with th 295...a lot more tire options, a bit thicker sidewall with only a little raising of the car...would anything change to your specs if i did that.

For example, should I drop to a 10.5 rim?

I am currently running on the rear the 295's and the 10" Alcoa wheel for street driving and am very happy with the results. Mark

So how does it look and ride? Any pictures. I am thinking of going with th 295...a lot more tire options, a bit thicker sidewall with only a little raising of the car...would anything change to your specs if i did that. For example, should I drop to a 10.5 rim?

295 will fit a 10"-11" wheel with a 10.5" wheel typically being used as the measured width for specs. If you move your 275/35's up front the 295/35's will be ~ .5" taller in the back.

Doug, you are right, there are more options with 295/35. The problem is the more you raise the car you close the distance between the rim and bumpstop bracket and the shock.That is why I went a smaller tire height. I have 1 3/8" clearance between the rim or tire to the shock. I could have gone with 11 1/2" wheel and a tire 12.8" wide. My Nero is 12.3" wide. I believe a 315 is around 12.8" wide. You are a couple hours away and you are more than welcome to come by and see for yourself. If you like give me a call tonight and we can go over your options. Don

• 2 years later...

Great job and thanks so much for posting your project.

Are the Razors you bought the 45mm backspacing for the GT500, or were they the normal 20" Razor that has I think 24mm?

cant send you a pm...your box is full :-(

Sorry for the late response. The 20x9in wheels are #198s2966 with a 6" backspace and 24mm offset. This is the same wheel size SAI put on all 40th's to fit the Extreme-Plus Brake System upgrade. Because I don't drive the car very often I may be interested in selling them.

Don

Archived