TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fender stripes, what are they for?

travis5049

They are FIA or "pit stripes". Originally, they were put on the (Shelby) team cars so the pit crew could identify each driver from the other using different color stripes. Remember, this was before radio communication between the driver's and the pit crew, so they needed a way to determine who was who as the cars went speeding by the pits.

We put them on our cars now as a tribute to the early days of Shelby racing, and because they look cool too!

They are FIA or "pit stripes". Originally, they were put on the (Shelby) team cars so the pit crew could identify each driver from the other using different color stripes. Remember, this was before radio communication between the driver's and the pit crew, so they needed a way to determine who was who as the cars went speeding by the pits.

We put them on our cars now as a tribute to the early days of Shelby racing, and because they look cool too!

Thats too cool, we have a track about 20 minutes from my place 13 turns in 2.8 miles.

I thought they had something to do with being a rookie on the track...No? What is it that tells that? I don't remember.

The original use was on the FIA Cobras in the 60's, whose drivers were hardly rookies.

Rookie stripes in NASCAR are yellow and displayed across the back bumper. to let veterans know not to trust the rookie in front of them.

On a Red car, the flat black ones add special aerodynamic downforce to help keep the front wheels on the ground at 160+... The slower color cars just have them for looks though...

eight.JPG

Is she tuning the 5.4 SC or trouble shooting the verts "top down" controls?

...are these fender stripes going on both fenders or just the driver's side? All of the Pics in this thread just show the driver's side. I've seen Vets with them only on the driver's side...

I have them on BOTH sides of my SGT... However, I think it originally (1960's) depended on which direction the car was passing by the pits...

For example, if passing from right-to-left like on an oval course, the stripes need to be on the Driver's side... And if passing by the pits from the left like on a road course, then the stripes need to be on the Passenger's side...

So it is up to you...

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

Question: Do they give these out, or are they available during the Bash? Can't decide what color would look best on my car....Tungsten with the black Terlingua hood and stripe...and that gorgeous yellow bunny....hummm :headscratch:

Leann

...are these fender stripes going on both fenders or just the driver's side? All of the Pics in this thread just show the driver's side. I've seen Vets with them only on the driver's side...

Mine are just on the drivers side.

014.jpg

Question: Do they give these out, or are they available during the Bash? Can't decide what color would look best on my car....Tungsten with the black Terlingua hood and stripe...and that gorgeous yellow bunny....hummm :headscratch:

Leann

Last year they gave them out. I got a red set. Still on the GTH. Looks good in contrast to the black and the red center caps of my CS69 rims. Drivers side only. If you are buying, I would go with the yellow to match the bunny.

Last year they gave them out. I got a red set. Still on the GTH. Looks good in contrast to the black and the red center caps of my CS69 rims. Drivers side only. If you are buying, I would go with the yellow to match the bunny.

doesn't Yellow mean rookie??

http://nascar.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-rookiestripe.htm

Archived