TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pre-ignition/Detonation

justindewoody

Hey everyone, I got a little issue. About 3 days ago, I filled up at the gas station and I put 93 Octane in it. I got driving down the freeway and when I'm in 5th or 6th gear and really hit the gas, I hear a noise that sounds like coins rattling around in a can. Kinda scared me, so I quit pushin' her. My dad has informed me that it sounds like pre-ignition/detonation to him. He says that sometimes you pay for 93 Octane gas, but the stupid gas station puts cheap gas in the tank. So, he thinks I got shitty gas and now I'm experiencing detonation from low octane gas that cannot provide the power that my car demands under a high load/high torque situation. DOES THE SITUATION SOUND LIKE DETONATION TO YOU? I'm currently trying to run the tank empty and then I will fill her up with 93 octane from a TRUSTED gas station. But I want to know what you guys think until I can do that. Thanks.

Hey everyone, I got a little issue. About 3 days ago, I filled up at the gas station and I put 93 Octane in it. I got driving down the freeway and when I'm in 5th or 6th gear and really hit the gas, I hear a noise that sounds like coins rattling around in a can. Kinda scared me, so I quit pushin' her. My dad has informed me that it sounds like pre-ignition/detonation to him. He says that sometimes you pay for 93 Octane gas, but the stupid gas station puts cheap gas in the tank. So, he thinks I got shitty gas and now I'm experiencing detonation from low octane gas that cannot provide the power that my car demands under a high load/high torque situation. DOES THE SITUATION SOUND LIKE DETONATION TO YOU? I'm currently trying to run the tank empty and then I will fill her up with 93 octane from a TRUSTED gas station. But I want to know what you guys think until I can do that. Thanks.

Sure soiunds like that to me--it can hurt your engine if it happens to often. Ill defer to experts here,but i add octane booster to my 65GTO which has 12:1 compresion to prevent this.BP sells racing gas at pumps--you might call them and see if anyone has any where you live.Finally, you could go but 5 gallons of racing gas at a speed shop and just put in in your tank.Your sure no-one screwed with you and out water on your gas tank, or worse sugar right??

If this is the only time you have experienced it since you've added all the performance mods then low octane fuel might be it. If it continues in the future I would talk with Fred.

If it were me and because of all your Cobra Jet parts plus the pulley I would seek out a dyno facility. Have them weld in o2 bungs in each exhaust pipe. They can check your A/F ratio and provide another tune if needed.

Interesting that your knock sensor did not prevent your problem. As you may or may not know, those of us with 07-09 GT500's don't have knock sensors. Is there anyone out there that can add supporting information behind the 2010 knock sensor limitations?

Mine did the same thing and it was because a boost line hane come loose. It caused me to detinate 3 plugs...very scary...didn't want to loose a cylinder at the same time. I would pull the plugs and give them a look as well.

I would agree that it is probably bad gas (low octane). I once accidentally put in 87 octane in my Terminator that was running 17 lbs of boost. It was making all kinds of darn noise when I hammered it. I simply drove it easy until I used most of the gas and then put 93 back in and all was well. As mentioned above, I'd also check all my connections on the engine.

Interesting though that the knock sensors didn't do something with it......

Did you buy some cheap gas to save a few $$. If you did that could be your problem if it wasn't there before. I always run Chevron and zero problems.

sounds like pinging/detonation that i had using california 91. i tried different stations and still had it.

hitting the gas hard in 5th and 6th is not good. The car is under a huge load and the gearing is low.

Boost, low RPMs and "maybe" bad gas doesn't mix.

Always be in a higher RPM when you need to pass or get into boost.

Jay

+1

Don't nail it in 5th or 6th gear when you're at cruising RPM, it's just waaayyyyy too much load, especially when the car has a roots or twin screw since they make instant boost. Run it empty, put in trusted 93, and don't nail it in 5th or 6th anymore.

Archived