TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT VS GT500 Engine Compartments

AlloyDropTop

When it comes to engine compartments, I am not a big fan of plastic covers, etc... to hide and fake what the engine actually looks like.

One of my favorite things about the GT500 is that the engine is real. No covers, etc... to hide what it really underneath.

The new 5.0 GT engine pictures have surfaced and from what I am reading, everybody is going crazy that it is great looking. That it looks like a SHO engine from the Yamaha days, etc...

The overall look is great, but I have a real problem with the fact that it is mostly fake plastic cover. Even a bigger foul to me is that the plastic cover even suggests that the air flow is going in the opposite direction to what it is really going. The chrome looking clamps are completely fake, too.

If you look at the spy shots of the engine, you can see what is really underneath, and then then new shots, you can see what is cover and what is real.

Am I the only one that isn't a fan of covers that hide, or even worse "lie" about what is underneath?

I don't get this issue at all.

Is this really so different than anything else you buy that has a "cover" to hide "what's really underneath" I mean the entire car's body is meant to "hide what's really underneath"! Look around your house, your cellphone, your computer, the TV, the fridge, EVERYTHING has a cover of some sort to to make it more attractive, easier to clean, or protect what's underneath.

Now, these covers should be easy on and easy off so you can get to "what's really underneath" no question about that!

But cleaning the engine compartment of a Mustang is a HUGE PITA and a lesson in cut and bruised fingers too. I show my car and would KILL for a stock engine compartment like the new 5.0. Easy clean, easy show! It takes I can't tell you how many cans of compressed air, small brushes of different sizes, and some blood from a few cut fingers, to get my car ready for the weekend. Then to go against a new Camaro or Dodge that just has to do some light dusting really pisses me off. Most people look at my engine don't even realize how clean it is and just think it looks "messy" with all the wires and such going every which way and I have to agree!

There is of course a balance!

I think Chevy and for sure Dodge went WAY TOO far with their engine compartments but I think, from what I see, Ford has struck the right balance. Now if they would only do something about those exposed strut tower bolts...

Ken,

Our SGTs had the plastic cover on top of the motor that looks like intake runners. You got rid of it when you got your car supercharged.

Jim

You mean the intake manifold itself? The entire manifold is plastic. I never questioned whether those runners were functional before now. Are they just for looks?

I've always retained the use of the OEM manifold, by the way. Here's a pic before the demo derby that's taking place under my hood began.

JR1N1581.jpg

I don't get this issue at all.

Is this really so different than anything else you buy that has a "cover" to hide "what's really underneath" I mean the entire car's body is meant to "hide what's really underneath"! Look around your house, your cellphone, your computer, the TV, the fridge, EVERYTHING has a cover of some sort to to make it more attractive, easier to clean, or protect what's underneath.

Now, these covers should be easy on and easy off so you can get to "what's really underneath" no question about that!

But cleaning the engine compartment of a Mustang is a HUGE PITA and a lesson in cut and bruised fingers too. I show my car and would KILL for a stock engine compartment like the new 5.0. Easy clean, easy show! It takes I can't tell you how many cans of compressed air, small brushes of different sizes, and some blood from a few cut fingers, to get my car ready for the weekend. Then to go against a new Camaro or Dodge that just has to do some light dusting really pisses me off. Most people look at my engine don't even realize how clean it is and just think it looks "messy" with all the wires and such going every which way and I have to agree!

There is of course a balance!

I think Chevy and for sure Dodge went WAY TOO far with their engine compartments but I think, from what I see, Ford has struck the right balance. Now if they would only do something about those exposed strut tower bolts...

Yeah Jeff, but you did get a Trophy at Volo this year, so it must be worth it!! :hysterical3:

Mike

Well, IMO not all engine coverings look crappy...

post-4213-126196254409_thumb.jpg post-4213-126196257941_thumb.jpg post-4213-126196261565_thumb.jpg post-4213-126196267469_thumb.jpg

This is the engine that's hidden under the cover in the third picture (from left) above. Chip (Foose) spent many, many, hours prepping and dressing this engine but still covered it anyway. Chip's Grandmaster Coupe is a Riddler award winning car.

post-4213-126196298665_thumb.jpg

And here's an engine without a cover...

post-4213-126196279045_thumb.jpg

And as far as the 2011 5.0 engine cover is concerned, personally I think it looks great, and we all know that it could have looked a whole lot worse.

post-4213-126196254409_thumb.jpg

post-4213-126196257941_thumb.jpg

post-4213-126196261565_thumb.jpg

post-4213-126196267469_thumb.jpg

post-4213-126196279045_thumb.jpg

post-4213-126196298665_thumb.jpg

Feel free to send me your hood scoop and side scoops!

PM for address!

:happy feet:

:hysterical:

Well Jeff my Friend.......My 05 Mustang GT and my 08 GT500 are both STOCK, the same

condition they were built in Flat Rock without "NON FUNCTIONAL PLASTIC" hood and

side scoops............. :dance:

However I will still PM if you want to send me yours and I will sell them to highest bidder???????

are we really complaining about some plastic cover? i could care less. if its a big deal just take it off. problem fixed.

I think my biggest issue is that it completely misrepresents what is going on with air flow.

The intake air path is thru the front throttle body and then down under the intake runners. The air then proceeds up thru each individual runner up and over center, and then down into each intake port. The front intake runner has air flowing from right to left.

The cover makes it look like the engine has two intake paths running down each side (black plastic cover), with a hose clamp like connection to each runner. As such, it represents that the air in the front runner is running from left to right.

In the SHO's, all this was real. In the 2011 5.0 GT it is mostly "simulated".

For some reason I feel that this cover insults the intelligence of us car enthusiasts.

It certainly wouldn't stop me from getting a GT if I was in that market. That car will be awesome and some engine cover wouldn't stop me. I am just saying I like the look of actual engine pieces and not just plastic up to faking something.

Plastic engine covers are used first and foremost to dampen engine noise.

A secondary effect is the cosmetic "cleaning up" of the engine compartment.

Steve

Both true! Problem is, many of these shrouds also trap HEAT... and that impacts performance and the engine!! These engines need ALL the cooling they can get!!!

Plastic engine covers are used first and foremost to dampen engine noise.

A secondary effect is the cosmetic "cleaning up" of the engine compartment.

Steve

Where the hell did you hear that from? Plastic is the absolute worst when it comes to quieting an engine via an acoustical material. Without a doubt, I'd proffer the 'secondary effect' you mentioned as the primary objective in using a decorative cover at all.

I'm with the other guys who posted earlier...

If you don't like the cover there's no law stating you MUST keep it on the engine... don't like it pull it off!

Looks friggin sweet to me either way... and I could care less about the cover... the 5.0 engine and 412 HP WITH factory headers has me happy as a clam... I just have to figure out how to get that 5.0 into my '06 :)

As for the engine noise/heat/whatever... do you guys REALLY think a little plastic cover is going to increase temps underhood? I mean seriously?

If you are truly worried about it I would suggest you might want to take off the hood on your Mustang NOW because that hood DEFINITELY increases underhood temps MUCH more than a little plastic covering.

Hell be happy Ford is doing the right thing with the breed... 412 HP, factory headers, 5.0 liter that weighs around 20lbs more than the current engine... Brembo brakes AND a six speed!

I'm SURE we'll be floored with the GT500 offering as much as the GT... I wait with bated breath ;)

You think that's bad- look at the new Camaro SS engine plastic!

2010-chevrolet-camaro-ss-v8-engine.jpg

A guy at the local cruise this summer took the covers off his Camaro SS because he didn't like them either- but the motor without the covers is just as ugly!! It's just the same with the Challenger too.

Archived