TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Header help!! Or new wheels/tires = traction!

scottGT500

Well, "Santa" has granted me the go-ahead to get some headers, lol! I need to know which ones to get. I will be getting a catted X with whichever one that I get. I need to know which one is the best for fitment and clearance. This will be my daily driver so I am looking for headers that will last and "hold up" for quite some time. I am also debating on some Steeda Spyder wheels to add traction on the rear (20" x 11" rears). I may get the wheels first to add traction to my already 540 rwhp, non traction beast. The final price will be about the same for headers as it will be for the Steeda wheels and new tires. I don't know which ones to get first!? Hmm, more traction or more volume/power. My gut is saying get traction so I can enjoy the power that I have. Let me know your thoughts...I just wish that a 19" tire with amazing traction was out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really love the stock wheels, just NO traction with any tire combo with a 19 x 9.5" wheel.

Happy Holidays!

Scott

For headers check out ARH http://www.americanracingheaders.com/. Yes I know they are expensive, but well worth the money. Excellent fit, finish, quality and numbers! Ask for Nick, close friend of mine, he will take care of you.

Tire choices are limited but read some good reviews for Bridgestone's Potenza S-02 Pole Position, Pilot Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo in the stock tire size.

Based on other member's sucesses on this site with the Dynatech Supermaxx headers, I picked up a set with the high flow cats from Autoanything.com for $1286 w/free shipping. I ordered them on the 14 Dec and they were delivered on 17 Dec. They were dropped shipped from Dynatech. I haven't installed yet. Next week I am going to drop the headers off for Hot-Jet coating.

I also have a new set of ceramic coated Ford Racing shorty headers if anyone is interested.

Well, "Santa" has granted me the go-ahead to get some headers, lol! I need to know which ones to get. I will be getting a catted X with whichever one that I get. I need to know which one is the best for fitment and clearance. This will be my daily driver so I am looking for headers that will last and "hold up" for quite some time. I am also debating on some Steeda Spyder wheels to add traction on the rear (20" x 11" rears). I may get the wheels first to add traction to my already 540 rwhp, non traction beast. The final price will be about the same for headers as it will be for the Steeda wheels and new tires. I don't know which ones to get first!? Hmm, more traction or more volume/power. My gut is saying get traction so I can enjoy the power that I have. Let me know your thoughts...I just wish that a 19" tire with amazing traction was out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really love the stock wheels, just NO traction with any tire combo with a 19 x 9.5" wheel.

Happy Holidays!

Scott

Traction, Traction, Traction! I'd def go with the tires/wheels first. I'm planning to send my rear wheels out to Weldcraft to widen them to 10.5 or 11" (cost around $500) then gonna probably go with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's, 265 front and 305 rear. I've read a lot of favorable reviews about these tires. I really like the stock 2010 wheels and want to keep them on the car. Let us know what you decide..

I just found out that the 10 5.4l motor is different than the 3 previous year motors so before you spend all that money make sure they will refund you're money if they dont fit. Evolution Performance is working on the problem as we speak. Give Fred a call before you spend all that money. Good luck

Art

Say what! What could be different?

GT500bro: I LOVE the '10 wheels also! A LOT! I kinda like the Steeda Spyder set also...either in black or machined. I just can't decide on whether to get the headers first of the wheels/tires...the cost is about the same.

For tires, check the Nitto Invo's. I t has outstanding traction, both dry and wet. At the Nitto website, they are rated almost as good as the 555's, but they have better wet traction so you won't lose it on a rainy, wet surface.

I heard the Invo sidewall feels soft during aggressive use. I think the Michelin PS2 or Hankook V12 would be good options.

I just found out that the 10 5.4l motor is different than the 3 previous year motors so before you spend all that money make sure they will refund you're money if they dont fit. Evolution Performance is working on the problem as we speak. Give Fred a call before you spend all that money. Good luck

Art

Art,

There's no difference in the motor from 07-09 to 2010 besides the 2010 having knock sensors. The ARH headers fit all 07-10 models without any modification needed.

Jared

Art,

There's no difference in the motor from 07-09 to 2010 besides the 2010 having knock sensors. The ARH headers fit all 07-10 models without any modification needed.

Jared

Hey Jared, thanks for chiming in! I have been talking to some of my friends in the service department where I work...they said to steer clear from headers (for the most part). I want to know what causes and how much of an issue is this exhaust leak thingy that I have been hearing about. Also, in the Super Snake forum, a guy who works at Kenne Bell actually said to NOT do aftermarket headers, he said that for all the problems and potential issues that lie ahead...do not get them. I am kinda torn now because he seems to know what he is talking about working for Kenne Bell and all (I guess). They do most of there testing on stock manifolds, so he says. My car is my daily driver so I would like to keep all issues to a minimum if possible. Oh yeah, a KB 2.8 or Whipple 2.9 is on the horizon...I was told that headers are DEFINATELY a recommendation when upgrading the SC. ahhhhhhhhhh!

Scott

Hey Jared, thanks for chiming in! I have been talking to some of my friends in the service department where I work...they said to steer clear from headers (for the most part). I want to know what causes and how much of an issue is this exhaust leak thingy that I have been hearing about. Also, in the Super Snake forum, a guy who works at Kenne Bell actually said to NOT do aftermarket headers, he said that for all the problems and potential issues that lie ahead...do not get them. I am kinda torn now because he seems to know what he is talking about working for Kenne Bell and all (I guess). They do most of there testing on stock manifolds, so he says. My car is my daily driver so I would like to keep all issues to a minimum if possible. Oh yeah, a KB 2.8 or Whipple 2.9 is on the horizon...I was told that headers are DEFINATELY a recommendation when upgrading the SC. ahhhhhhhhhh!

Scott

You need traction. The '10 Shelby already has more power than it can effectively put to the ground. Everything I have read says switch out the lower control arms to keep the tires down. Also when you do this you need to go to a one piece drive shaft as it needs to be replaced to handle the added force. Most people recommend the one that comes with the Super Snake.

I am curious as to widening the stock wheels as I love the look. How reliable is this?

Archived