TEAM SHELBY FORUM

09 KR or 11 GT500???

chuckstang

So Im itching for a change

My dream car is the new KR but I know the 2011 will out perform it

Which do you all think is the better car to own and drive and how much can you get an 09 KR for and are there still any "new" ones left for sale?

I know none of us know what a new 11 GT500 will cost but Id say about $50k is a good guess

thanks guys!

So Im itching for a change

My dream car is the new KR but I know the 2011 will out perform it

Which do you all think is the better car to own and drive and how much can you get an 09 KR for and are there still any "new" ones left for sale?

I know none of us know what a new 11 GT500 will cost but Id say about $50k is a good guess

thanks guys!

chuckstang,

The 2009 KR may not be a performance equal to the 2011 SVT GT500, but it is a direct connection to the Shelby legend. Only you can decide which one is more true to your beliefs/needs.

If you are looking for maximum stock performance, wait for the 2011. On the other hand, if you want part of the Shelby legend that still smokes most other wannabes... go for the KR! See the attached link for an 09 that's apparently still available.

ebay - Long Beach Pacific Ford

BTW... Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!

So, if I was you I would pop for a KR. IMO there is no comparison in the styling of the 05-09 cars...the newer cars are great looking, its just that the previous body style is a lot "cleaner" looking.

I have read that the interior is quieter and more refined than the 05-09's...

The main reason I bought mine was that it truly reminded me of an older era car right down to the turn signal sound "click,click,click".

But its brand new...so no body issues and the SGT handles really well for what I do, the KR has a great suspension and looks great and it is a rarer car.

If you keep it in the family for long enough I would say that it may be a more collectable car and I would rather drive a KR now than a 11 GT500...

I recommend you drive one and see if it gives you the right vibe...It took me 1/2 a block to know that my SGT was for me...in the end you gotta feel it man...

Hope this helps somewhat...Goodluck on your quest, I know it took me a lot of searching to know what I wanted but when I checked out a SGT up close the decision was very clear. The scoop being faux was initially what delayed the decision for a day or two, then I looked under the hood, read the sticker, sat in one and drove one...I bought that one on the spot...

The KR really tugs at my heartstring at what they are trading for now...they are sweet! Cheers!happy%20feet.gif

Without hesitation, I would go with a KR. Production on these cars are much lower, it is marketed as more of a prestige car, it performs very well, and looks HOT! And if you think about someone will always have a faster car than you!

This really is a personal decsion

But fwiw ... I would choose the KR hands down .... its a limited production unit compared to 2011

Chuck,

Since your 26 and like to change cars alot.....I would get the 2011 model. This way you have the latest technology and I know you will only keep it a couple years anyways because the 2015 model will drive you nutz and you will have to have it. rolleyes.gif

Chuck,

Since your 26 and like to change cars alot.....I would get the 2011 model. This way you have the latest technology and I know you will only keep it a couple years anyways because the 2015 model will drive you nutz and you will have to have it. rolleyes.gif

You are probably right. Every car I own, I say I will own forever but that is a long long time for me, I hope. On the flip side, I only see the KRs going up in value from here as I think this is rock bottom for them.

I saw a new 2010 Gt500 at my dealer, and really enjoyed how it looked stock. The stance looks nice, the wheels are great and the interior looks amazing. The recent KR's though have that fondness though and rarity that say a 2000 Cobra R have. I realy like to be unique/different and your def not going to see many KR's.

Thanks for the opinions guys. Ayone know the exact date price/options and order info goes live for the 2011 GT500?

i would say get the 2011 - the KR is just too much to maintain especially if you want to drive it. ie $20,000 hood

I would say KR,because on the numbers / history,,classic already,,low numbers mean more money later down the road ,but what do I know about Shelby History,,,new is only new for awhile,,ask yourself this question ,would you trade a 2010, or 2011 GT 500, for a 1968 GT 500 KR,,,in new shape,,,,,,I would ,but what do I know,,,,,,,,,,,WHY did you ( all shelby owners ) buy a Shelby,,,anyone can buy a GT 500 alot more of them each day,,coming from Ford ,,but the KR comes from Shelby Auto,,,,how much is that GT 500 going to be worth in ten years,,and how much will the KR be worth in ten years ,, :doh: ,,,I say King of the Road,,it has that name for a reason. :salute:

Why choose one? :hysterical:

If you want performance AND prestige though...I would wait till say...January 18 to decide.

There is a possibility that the GT350 may be the car of your dreams...IF they build it. :hysterical: (inside joke) but all signs point to that being true. Look for an annoucement at the Dearborn event on January 11 or 12 as it will be annouced on that day, and order banks for the 2011 GT open up on the 18th from what we hear as of now.

Dont think that a GT350 should be considered inferior to the 500...it wont be at all. In fact, I think it will outperform a stock GT500 although it is pure speculation on my part at this time. Just hold off a couple weeks.

Why choose one? :hysterical:

If you want performance AND prestige though...I would wait till say...January 18 to decide.

There is a possibility that the GT350 may be the car of your dreams...IF they build it. :hysterical: (inside joke) but all signs point to that being true. Look for an annoucement at the Dearborn event on January 11 or 12 as it will be annouced on that day, and order banks for the 2011 GT open up on the 18th from what we hear as of now.

Dont think that a GT350 should be considered inferior to the 500...it wont be at all. In fact, I think it will outperform a stock GT500 although it is pure speculation on my part at this time. Just hold off a couple weeks.

:lurk:

Chuck, Do yourself a huge favor and concentrate on the 2011 GT500. The front end weight reduction, likely power increase and other overall upgrades will make it state of the art as Mustangs roll. This car will be the pinacle of performance to date for these offerings without any question or doubts.

I cringe when reading posts about how certain "limited" new cars will hold value or appreciate in the near term. The KR that you get today for approx. 50 grand is a gorgeous, fantastic product but is NOT going to maintain that value in the foreseeable future. Does anyone believe that a 7 or 10 year old Mustang could be sold for 50 thousand dollars, ain't gonna happen. The KR may have some chance of reclaiming depreciated value in 30 years and this is only a possibility and by no means a guarantee. All new cars depreciate. Buy the top performer and blow off the bable about what previous editions are real Shelbys or a pipe dream of an investment.

Do we KNOW the 2011 will handle better than the KR, will it have more power? The 2010 hasn't mached the handling of the KR yet, who says the 2011 will?

Beisdes Stalwart, if your KR can't blow a 2011 off the road, you always could just use your tank! hysterical.gif

Awesome!

Do we KNOW the 2011 will handle better than the KR, will it have more power? The 2010 hasn't mached the handling of the KR yet, who says the 2011 will?

Good points, but the 2010 and 11 didn't/won't cost $30k more either. That's a pile of power and suspension upgrade work.

Archived