TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What Tire Pressures are you guys running?

Ford states 35 psi front and rear for the GT500. Its listed on the door plate.

That's for the stock 18" wheels and cooresponding tires. The question is what pressure are you running in the 20" tires that come on the Super Snake.

That's for the stock 18" wheels and cooresponding tires. The question is what pressure are you running in the 20" tires that come on the Super Snake.

The manufacturer sets the tire pressure based on vehicle weight, not rim size. Recommended pressure should stay at 35# for a SS since the weight of the car is unchanged.

Lee: So tire width, sidewall height/stiffness, and circumference have nothing to do with cooresponding air pressure for any tire/wheel combo??? I know the weight of the vehicle is important but all the other aspects of the tire should weigh on the proper air pressure needed too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Lee: So tire width, sidewall height/stiffness, and circumference have nothing to do with cooresponding air pressure for any tire/wheel combo??? I know the weight of the vehicle is important but all the other aspects of the tire should weigh on the proper air pressure needed too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am not a tire guru, but I was always told that the vehicle weight was the factor that was used for tire pressure determination. Tire height will make a difference in needed presure, but you will normally only see this if you are going to a MUCH larger tire on a truck or SUV. Load rating can come into effect, but that normally is only the case for trucks with large sidewalls as well. Many vehicles from the factory have different size wheel options, but the manufacturers recommended pressures always stay the same. For example you can buy a Ford truck with 17", 18" or 20" rims and the door stickers are all the same, but all the tires they equipt the car with on these different wheel sizes will have the same load rating.

Our tires do not have a load rating, but each tire does have a maximumn load weight listed, but they are going to be very close with the choices we are talking about and I do not think that will change the recommended inflation pressure of the tire for that car. Of coarse this is for street tires on the street. Racing applications and racing tires all this goes out the window as well as when you are driving at accessive speed (160 plus)

With that said, changing pressure for different tires, different pavements and different temperatures will have preformance advantages, but I still think the baseline will be the manufacturers rating for both the SS tires on 20's and the GT500 tires on 18's.

Archived