TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear View Camera

jjmarkus

Just got picked up my 2010 GT500 - Black with Silver. Has NAV. Was wondering if could add a rear view camera, perhaps with license place holder. My F-150 has rear view with the NAV system, same or very similar Radio/Nav in the GT500 -- anyone know if can purchase a rear view camera that will connect to my NAV/Radio and show on screen as does in F-150?

Just got picked up my 2010 GT500 - Black with Silver. Has NAV. Was wondering if could add a rear view camera, perhaps with license place holder. My F-150 has rear view with the NAV system, same or very similar Radio/Nav in the GT500 -- anyone know if can purchase a rear view camera that will connect to my NAV/Radio and show on screen as does in F-150?

I thought the rear view camera was available on the 2010 GT500. Only works in reverse if I recall.

Am I wrong on this?

Steve

Rear view camera not an option on GT500...guess it is because on the GT it is in the spoiler.

Ahhh, yup I remember now.

Back to your original question. My thought it's doable. The big question is the camera wiring in the GT500.

Even if your nav radio has a camera input I'd suspect you would have to get it re-flashed so that the camera function would be turned on.

If it was me I'd first purchase a factory OEM service manual. After studying the wiring diagrams I would then look for the cameras wiring in the rear of the car.

After that I'd pull out the nav radio to see if there is a separate camera input.

Those three things should give you an idea how easily doable it would be and how much of a plug n play it would be.

Steve

Ahhh, yup I remember now.

Back to your original question. My thought it's doable. The big question is the camera wiring in the GT500.

Even if your nav radio has a camera input I'd suspect you would have to get it re-flashed so that the camera function would be turned on.

If it was me I'd first purchase a factory OEM service manual. After studying the wiring diagrams I would then look for the cameras wiring in the rear of the car.

After that I'd pull out the nav radio to see if there is a separate camera input.

Those three things should give you an idea how easily doable it would be and how much of a plug n play it would be.

Steve

Thanks...I'll start down that road. I'm from back when everything was interchangable and compatable...didn't even think about how the thing would need to be re-flashed-programmed as well--perhaps toughest part will be to find a Ford tech who could do anything other than standard flash. :headscratch:

You can try this site: http://www.avelectronic.com/NavigationVideo%20Camera%20Interface.html They may have one that will work for you.

Mike

the camera harness is not in the gt500- however- this can be done- there shoul be an input on the nav unit to run the camera to- then its just a matter of power and ground- roadpig

I would suspect the nav unit would still need to be reprogrammed or there would be a blank/snowy picture right now on his nav unit because no camera is plugged in.

Just my thoughts. Could be wrong.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried this yet? Subscribing. :lurk:

I test drove a regular 2010 GT with this option and it was great. Even had the red/yellow/green lines showing path of travel on the screen.

This has been tested at length on the F150 forums. There is good news and bad news. Bad news : It is most definitely NOT plug and play. Good news : everything can be ordered OEM from a dealer. You'll need a camera, wiring harness, connector ends and a wiring schematic. Once you install the camera then the tricky part is finding a dealer to "re-flash" the nav system. It only takes about 5 minutes to do but apparently there are many dealers who either won't do it all or want to charge $200 + to re-flash it.

The 2010 Ford nav is universal and the camera has been "post" installed probably hundreds of times with no issues on the '150s. It seems fairly straightforward and without much hassle.

Archived