TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aloca Wheels

robertlane

yeah, there is a rebate, but everything I received said it had to be four of the same kind of tire....not 2 and 2. Hopefully I'm wrong, I wouldnt mind a $50 return kiss as well.

andretti

The way I read it it means four of the same tire (i.e. the Ventus V12 EVO), not 4 of the same size. Tire Rack sent me the rebate form and I mailed it in Friday. Guess I'll know for sure in a few weeks.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I read it it means four of the same tire (i.e. the Ventus V12 EVO), not 4 of the same size. Tire Rack sent me the rebate form and I mailed it in Friday. Guess I'll know for sure in a few weeks.

good point, I just assumed all four needed to be the same everything. I guess I'll look through the paperwork Tirerack sent me as well and see if theres something in there for me to send in as well. Thanks for mentioning.

Andretti

car looks awesome Andretti, I hope one day soon I'll be able to check it out in person.

Hope so, I'd really enjoy meeting you in person. Lord knows I've eaten enough of your cell phone minutes up. Again, really appreciate all the help and advice man. Its been a real pleasure getting to know you.

Andretti

Robert - Could you weigh in on if the offset has been corrected? Thanks!

There is a thread here somewhere on widening the Alcoa rims. If you do that, the offset is actually perfect and you'll be able to run wider rear tires w/o issue. That's what I plan to do.

guys just put my alcoas on look great ,just took the car for a ride at about 70mph steering wheel has sligth shake in it is this because the weights are not correct , or does the car need a alignment after we mount these rims thanks for your help johnny

You didnt say if you did any other modification to the car other than the wheels. If that is all you did, the weights might not be exactly right and a rebalance might be in order. If you added springs or shocks or both and it affected the car's ride height some how, you likely might need an alignment (I did all the above and DID need an alignment).

Andretti

Henry, before mounting your new wheels take them outside in full sun and really check out the finish. Some of my Alcoas are brighter and shinier than others and if you look real close they are not all the same. I wish I had done this prior to mounting.

are they that different?

i did lower the car with h&r sport springs but have been driving it before alcoas and had no problem so the car was lowered before so it must be the weights right? thanks johnny

I would take the rims & tires back to the place that balanced them and have them recheck everything.

Cameron, they are not brutally different but if you look close you can see some dullness and spotting beneath the top coating. I don't believe polish would remove it and I don't want to try anything abrasive that may scratch the clear coat. So, I'll just live with it. The finish is so slippery on the wheels that two small wheel weights have already fallen off.

Cameron, they are not brutally different but if you look close you can see some dullness and spotting beneath the top coating. I don't believe polish would remove it and I don't want to try anything abrasive that may scratch the clear coat. So, I'll just live with it. The finish is so slippery on the wheels that two small wheel weights have already fallen off.

uh oh....

Been there already, and done that.

I had mine balanced one day and didnt get around to mounting the wheels to the car for a few days. The wheels sat in my kitchen (yeah, I know....) in an out of the way place till I got the chance to get the change done. As I was wheeling the tires outside and totally stoked about the changeover, I was rolling out my third wheel when I looked down....and saw a wheel weight...I was like OH CRAP!....so as I'm muttering to myself that I'm not sure which wheel it came off of I continue to roll the remainder of the tires out....only to find a second set of wheel weights on the floor. So now I'm thinking....I've NO idea which two they came off of, so I had to go have all four rebalanced. As the guy at the shop was helping me get the wheels out of my Durango, not one, but TWO more sets of weights fell off.

Based on Camerons suggestions (I was on the phone with him on the way down to the shop), I had them do 'hammer-ons" on the rears, and on the fronts, they got out some sort of 'cleaner' and really rubbed the wheels where the weights were to go. So far, I havent had one fall back off again. BUT no matter what you do...do NOT put the hammer on ones on the fronts. You WILL regret it, so DO NOT.

Otherwise, mine are staying on great now (knock on wood).

Andretti

Henry, before mounting your new wheels take them outside in full sun and really check out the finish. Some of my Alcoas are brighter and shinier than others and if you look real close they are not all the same. I wish I had done this prior to mounting.

Thanks, you gave me an excuse to take them out of the boxes and look at them again drool.gif . Now I have to clean the drool though. Hope Ford gets my car here soon so I can install them.

Henrycp

gotta say thanks for mentioning the tire rebate. I just got a confirmation email saying my rebate is being processed. So, thanks again.

Andretti

No problem, Andretti. I haven't received an email confiormation though headscratch.gif Maybe I left the email address blank on the form, don't recall.

• 2 weeks later...

The finished product ! Well, sort of. Waiting on the center caps. Was not happy with the first set. Shelby took them back...no questions asked.

They will get another set out to me. Irregardless here are some garage shots right after the install was complete.

First drive felt a bit stiffer(probably sidewall stiffness), but I think they got the balance not right yet. I had a bit of

vibration at about 65. Handling seemed more crisp and direct. Could be the Hankkoks as well as the entire assembly working together

I'll need to balance them again and see if I can get rid of the slight shimmy.

th_AlcoaComplete002-1.jpg

th_AlcoaComplete004.jpg

th_AlcoaComplete005.jpg

IS

Can anyone tell me what to use on my tires to clean them?? In the above pictures, if you look, you can see the stuff I'm talking about trying to remove. It's really obvious on his third pic. I've tried westlys whitewall bleach to no avail and am looking for any ideas. Any suggestions?

Andretti

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize if this has been asked but have there ever been black alcoas? i remember seeing them on someone's Gt500 , or was that custom painted?

They do not come this way, probably painted or powdercoated.

I have seen a set of Alcoa's painted black on another forum and believe it or not, they looked really good.

They do not come this way, probably painted or powdercoated.

I have seen a set of Alcoa's painted black on another forum and believe it or not, they looked really good.

I thought they looked great too, oh well now i gotta find someone that'll do the powder coating/paint hehe. thanks for the reply!

So let me ask a few questions about the Alcoa Wheels. I want to get these and found them as a set of 4 mounted and balanced on the web....with 295's on the rear. Is that too wide? I have my car lowered with Ford Springs..and have done LCA, UCA and Panhard Bar. Is 295 to wide with a lowered car? Any issue buying Alcoa's from some where else given I can get the set of 4 with wheels and tired mounted and balanced with TPMS installed?

Let me know...

JMO, I would not use a 295 on a lowered vehicle (because of the offset).

I use and prefer the same size that comes on the Super Snakes, 275/35/20, but there are others on here that have gone with a 285/30/20. Either will work.

So I should go either 275 or 285 at the largest...hmm..okay.

I like the way this wheel/tire combo seem to fit flush with the side of the car. I really don't want to any smaller than the stock width of 285...however I don't want to have issues...

Anyone else? 275 or 285? Any isses with 285?

FYI...Hankook is also doing a $50 mail-in rebate on these tires now to. Tires must be purchased by May 31. I went with the 285/30s for the rear.

Thanks again for reminding me about this and that it was a rebate for buying four hankook tires and not four of the same size tires.... I got my $50 check in the mail yesterday, so I appreciate it.!

Andretti

So I should go either 275 or 285 at the largest...hmm..okay.

I like the way this wheel/tire combo seem to fit flush with the side of the car. I really don't want to any smaller than the stock width of 285...however I don't want to have issues...

Anyone else? 275 or 285? Any isses with 285?

That is correct, with the 20x10 Alcoa's on a lowered vehicle you will want to run either a 275/35/20 or a 285/30/20.

The only other size tire that I'd like to know would work or not is a 285/35/20.

Archived