TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aloca Wheels

robertlane

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am running 255/35/20's up front and 275/35/20's out back....same exact sizes that come on the Super Snakes.

Just got the Hankooks. I went with the Ventus V12, My front is the same size as yours(255/35/20)

but for the rear I went with the 285/30/20.

Goodyear spec sheet the stock 18" with F1 measures(Rear) On the Hankooks 285/30/20

Overall diameter 27" 26.9"

Tread width 9.1" 10.1"

Section width 11.4" 11.4"

The Hankooks are pretty close on the height about one tenth difference

Although the tread width is 1 " difference, They define the "section width"

as the measure from sidewall to sidewall, so that is the same.

I debated alot about going with the 275/35/20 out back...as you did...

The spec on these is Diameter: 27.6" Tread width: 9.4" Section width: 10.9"

I realize from manufact to manufact these sizes are not the same across the board

but pretty close for the most part..

We'll see how it turns out with the 285/30 out back...Just don't want it to stick out

beyond the wheel well.

IS

Just got the Hankooks. I went with the Ventus V12, My front is the same size as yours(255/35/20)

but for the rear I went with the 285/30/20.

Goodyear spec sheet the stock 18" with F1 measures(Rear) On the Hankooks 285/30/20

Overall diameter 27" 26.9"

Tread width 9.1" 10.1"

Section width 11.4" 11.4"

The Hankooks are pretty close on the height about one tenth difference

Although the tread width is 1 " difference, They define the "section width"

as the measure from sidewall to sidewall, so that is the same.

I debated alot about going with the 275/35/20 out back...as you did...

The spec on these is Diameter: 27.6" Tread width: 9.4" Section width: 10.9"

I realize from manufact to manufact these sizes are not the same across the board

but pretty close for the most part..

We'll see how it turns out with the 285/30 out back...Just don't want it to stick out

beyond the wheel well.

IS

That is the same Hankook tire and size I have just installed a few days ago. My car is lowered but with my panhard bar the rear is centered. I ran a straight edge down each quarter and rim and tire and its perfect. I have not been able to drive it yet but looks like there is no possiable way it would ever rub even with dead bodies in the trunk lol. The tire/rim/ wheel well are flush with each other.

The 285/30 rear 255/35 front looks great, the side wall height looks even front to rear. I finally said f&%# it, I am going for the wider 285's and see what happens.

That is the same Hankook tire and size I have just installed a few days ago. My car is lowered but with my panhard bar the rear is centered. I ran a straight edge down each quarter and rim and tire and its perfect. I have not been able to drive it yet but looks like there is no possiable way it would ever rub even with dead bodies in the trunk lol. The tire/rim/ wheel well are flush with each other.

The 285/30 rear 255/35 front looks great, the side wall height looks even front to rear. I finally said f&%# it, I am going for the wider 285's and see what happens.

Thanks hirevn ! From the specs, I thought this Hankook tire should work just right.

Glad to hear first hand you saw it and like it. Yea, I was out there tonight before I ordered the

Hankooks using a tape measure on each stock tire to get measurements of my own.

My F1s have only 2K on them, so the measurements taken while they are on the car

gave me the confidence that the 285/30/20 should fit just right and that the 255/35/20 up front

should be good as well. Upon comparing the stockers to all sorts of tire sizes that would

work on the 20s, the Hankooks had really close measurements to what I was after.

Will post pics after I get the tires.

IS

The Hankooks came in yesterday. Need to get the 20" bands for the sensors and then mount the Alcoas.

From an initial comparison glance, it seems as the the 285/30/20 on the rear should fit just fine.

Thats alot ot tire. The fronts are 255/35/20; seems kinda close quarters, should be OK. Tread pattern

seems to mirror that of alot of multiple personality tires out there.

th_TiresforAlcoas008.jpg

th_TiresforAlcoas007.jpg

th_TiresforAlcoas006.jpg

th_TiresforAlcoas003.jpg

th_TiresforAlcoas001.jpg

IS

The Hankooks came in yesterday. Need to get the 20" bands for the sensors and then mount the Alcoas.

From an initial comparison glance, it seems as the the 285/30/20 on the rear should fit just fine.

Thats alot ot tire. The fronts are 255/35/20; seems kinda close quarters, should be OK. Tread pattern

seems to mirror that of alot of multiple personality tires out there.

th_TiresforAlcoas008.jpg

th_TiresforAlcoas007.jpg

th_TiresforAlcoas006.jpg

th_TiresforAlcoas003.jpg

th_TiresforAlcoas001.jpg

IS

IS, have you gotten those wheels mounted and on the car yet??

Lets see some pictures!

Andretti

Haven't mounted them yet. Found 20" bands through O Reillys, they should be here tomorrow when

I get home from work. The Alcoa Wheel offset difference has me worried on the rears. I went with

the 285/30/20, just hope they doesn't stick out too far. May need to go with 275/35/20 instead.

After viewing a ton of super snake photos, it appears, at least to my taste, that if my rear set up

comes out looking similar, I'll be content with that. But, I believe the rears Shelby fitted to the super

snake were 275/35/20. Isn't that correct ??

IS

Haven't mounted them yet. Found 20" bands through O Reillys, they should be here tomorrow when

I get home from work. The Alcoa Wheel offset difference has me worried on the rears. I went with

the 285/30/20, just hope they doesn't stick out too far. May need to go with 275/35/20 instead.

After viewing a ton of super snake photos, it appears, at least to my taste, that if my rear set up

comes out looking similar, I'll be content with that. But, I believe the rears Shelby fitted to the super

snake were 275/35/20. Isn't that correct ??

IS

Thats what 08 Mustang says, and I have no doubts that he's done the research and KNOWS beyond any doubts since I know him to be extremely detail oriented and wouldnt say if he wasnt sure. I talked to him last night and am prolly about 99% certain I will be going the 275/35 route on the rears. I think, for me, that is the 'look' I am wanting, but I sure wish I could see some in person to alieviate any nagging doubts about it.

I think as much as the sizes, I've been really wishy-washy about the tire brands. Ride will have ultimate say, but I dont want to throw silly money away either when I could/would be happy with a brand that might be close in price to another and be a considerable upgrade in ride. At this point, its likely for me between the Goodyears, Nitto's, and the Hankooks (no particular order). I just need to price them out since I've prolly got the sizing decided to see where my most 'reasonable' option might be.

Andretti

Thats what 08 Mustang says, and I have no doubts that he's done the research and KNOWS beyond any doubts since I know him to be extremely detail oriented and wouldnt say if he wasnt sure. I talked to him last night and am prolly about 99% certain I will be going the 275/35 route on the rears. I think, for me, that is the 'look' I am wanting, but I sure wish I could see some in person to alieviate any nagging doubts about it.

I think as much as the sizes, I've been really wishy-washy about the tire brands. Ride will have ultimate say, but I dont want to throw silly money away either when I could/would be happy with a brand that might be close in price to another and be a considerable upgrade in ride. At this point, its likely for me between the Goodyears, Nitto's, and the Hankooks (no particular order). I just need to price them out since I've prolly got the sizing decided to see where my most 'reasonable' option might be.

Andretti

Andretti...didn't you have the 285/30/20 tire on ? All the pics of the SS look good, but its hard to determine

what size I am actually looking at. Keep looking at the tire spec for the 275/35 as compared to the 285/30.

With the alcoa wheel offset, the 275/35 seems to tuck itself a little bit more inboard then the 285/30.

I may need to exchange the my rears. Haven't mounted them yet.

IS

Since everyone's car is modified differently, sometimes it very difficult to suggest what exactly you should do, but from all the research I've done on this subject, it comes down to having your car lowered and trying to work with that rear rim offset. As my signature states, I have the Eibach Pro-Kit on my car, which gives it a pretty aggressive stance, and I can not imagine having a wider tire out back. I have actually seen my rear wheels under load when making turns, and the 275/35's that I am currently running are absolutely perfect for my car.

If you look at the pictures below, you can see exactly what I'm trying to describe when it comes to the location of the tires in relation to the fenders. I'll try to get some pictures this week of the tires tucked inside the fenders when making turns and going up an incline (ie: my driveway).

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

Thanks for the photos. All of the pics help, as Andretti says, it keeps that nagging feeling from creeping in about deciding which tire to go with.

I really like the inboard/outboard distance your tires are on your car. My car isn't lowered, so the 275/35/20 would be fine on the height.

I think if I go with the 285/30, it will stick out too far. Super flush with the wheel well is OK. Don't want to go any further than that.

Andretti...didn't you have the 285/30/20 tire on ? All the pics of the SS look good, but its hard to determine

what size I am actually looking at. Keep looking at the tire spec for the 275/35 as compared to the 285/30.

With the alcoa wheel offset, the 275/35 seems to tuck itself a little bit more inboard then the 285/30.

I may need to exchange the my rears. Haven't mounted them yet.

IS

nah, I currently have nitto 555's on my GT (I hope I dont offend anyone that I've been contributing to a thread where its 99.9% GT500 or KR owners). I havent lowered it yet, but I have the Elbach pro kit that 08 Mustang has on his sitting in my garage along with two of the four needed Koni 'yellows', camber bolts and panhard bar as well as the alcoa's (sans tires). I have been mostly waiting on the front shocks (backordered) but have also been looking around to decide whether or not to sell the GT and upgrade to the GT500. I dont want to put any of the suspension parts on if I do sell it since I'd rather it go on the new one.

My current Nitto's on the Shelby Razors are the 265/35/R20's, and I did it on all four with the +24 mm offset. Ive never had one rubbing issue (stock height) but was definately worried about possibilities of rubbing when I lowered it at a later date. Much research into it at the time showed me that running the +24 offset and the elbach pro kit would be good with no issues. Since I now have gone down the road of changing over to the Alcoa's (and that much closer to finally putting the Elbach kit on) I still wanted to make sure there would be no issues. Seeing pics of 08 Mustangs and talking to him at great legnths about it, I now am completely satisfied that I'll be extremely happy with the look as well as performance running the 255's for fronts and 275's on the rear, so that is what I'll be doing. As I posted a few posts ago...now the only debate for me is which brand and I plan on looking into that today and hopefully making a decision shortly (and then talking the wife into letting me get the order placed in the next day or two). I was hoping you got your hankooks mounted and pics up so I could get a chance to see those too. Of course, nothing beats seeing stuff in person and I wish it wasnt Febuary with 6" of snow on the ground and instead it was the time of year where I could just head to a local show and see one in person.

I'm sure yours will look awesome whatever you do. I'm just excited to see all your cars with the wheels and tires on and am stoked to get mine done as well.

Here is a few of mine currently as it is now. One of these days I'll actually get out and take some better pics where the sun isnt beating down and making the glare so bad....Mods include GT500 front end/TruFiber Venom hood/roush rear spoiler and side louvers/MGW short throw shifter/CAI with tune/painted 10" competition white stripes/homelink mod/exhaust mods...etc. A supercharger (if I keep it) is also in the works.

finishedpics001.jpg

finishedpics018.jpg

finishedpics022.jpg

finishedpics020.jpg

Andretti

That's one sweet looking GT man :)

And kudos for not putting the snakes on there.

I have Alcoas on my GT500, and it isn't lowered, YET, but I think your car looks better than mine as far as ride height with the 20s.

Mine looks just too tall out back with the 20s, but yours looks nice.

Looks great Andretti. You've done alot of work. Since I didn't have them on, they confirmed its OK to return my 285/30/20.

I swapped them out for the 275/35/20. I think this will be the right choice for the rears with the Alcoa offset. My 20" band

should be delivered today. So, I am going to proceed with mounting the fronts and then hopefully the rears will be here

by next week this time. Thanks to all that helped with this decision and posted pics along the way.

I'll post pics as these get mounted and installed.

IS

That's one sweet looking GT man :)

And kudos for not putting the snakes on there.

I have Alcoas on my GT500, and it isn't lowered, YET, but I think your car looks better than mine as far as ride height with the 20s.

Mine looks just too tall out back with the 20s, but yours looks nice.

Thank you. Much appreciated. Those pictures were taken not long after the hood and stripes were painted and installed. The only difference now is where the 'GT' emblem would go on the fenders, I put the tri-bar pony on instead. Also, that is the stock ride height. My new Elbach springs and Koni "yellow" shocks have not been installed yet. When they are, I expect it to sit about 1" lower, hopefully not more than 1 1/4" max.

I know better to get into any sort of debate about badging, especially on a shelby site. I have my opinions, but have no illusions about what my car is and more importantly, what its not. For those that do it, or have done it, I figure its their car and what they choose to do is up to them. Where I have a problem is those that do that kinda stuff but are putting it on v6's or shelby logo's on a non shelby and then trying to sell them as such. This is individuals AS WELL as dealers. That, I have a HUGE problem with, but even a slightly informed potential buyer would and could call the seller out on this, and if it were me, I'd go out of my way not only to not purchase that vehicle, but I would make sure anyone I knew who was looking was aware of it as well. That I have NO patience for what-so-ever. Of course, if I was at a car show and someone was going on and on about their 'shelby', I'm sure I'd eventually get tired and call them out on the carpet too..

Andretti

Italian Stallion, I'm glad to see that you're returning your 285/30's. A guy from another forum sent me a private message once that he was UNHAPPY with the side wall height of the 30 on his Alcoas. In fact, he used the term "Looked like crap". Andretti, when I had my C6 Z06 there was a lot of positive comments about the General Exclaim UHP's. The are very inexpensive and come in the 275/255 sizing. I think they will be my choice for my Alcoas. Although I don't like the smooth look of the sidewall, you may also want to consider the Nitto Invo. I had them on my Z06 and absolutely loved them. I just didn't like the look of a smooth side wall.

Thanks ptaylor for your words of encouragement. I, too, am glad I sent them back. I think I'll get the look I'm after with the 275/35/20.

Hopefully the turn around will be quick. They were sent off today. Man...shipping costs suck. Too bad we can't stuff em in a mailbox

and put up the flag ! Pics coming soon.

IS

Its been one problem after another of this wheel conversion. Finally decided to send back the 285/30/20 and swap them out for the 275/35/20. I'll be alot happier with the 275 tire rather than the 285/30. On my 20"band delivery, I was shorted the TPMS bracket and clip. So that put the kabash on at least getting the front 2 on last night.

After searching other outlets, seems as thought I'll need to get them from Ford. 1 complete set(20" band , bracket and clip) is 60 deer. Times 4....equals OUCH !!

IS

Its been one problem after another of this wheel conversion. Finally decided to send back the 285/30/20 and swap them out for the 275/35/20. I'll be alot happier with the 275 tire rather than the 285/30. On my 20"band delivery, I was shorted the TPMS bracket and clip. So that put the kabash on at least getting the front 2 on last night.

After searching other outlets, seems as thought I'll need to get them from Ford. 1 complete set(20" band , bracket and clip) is 60 deer. Times 4....equals OUCH !!

IS

Jeez guys,

The 285 hankooks DOES NOT stick outside the wheel wells because it is NO WIDER THAN THE RIM when mounted. I mounted these 2 weeks ago on a lowered car and it is flush. I used a plumb bob taped to the inside of the quarter and it is flush, also striaght edged after install. The tire mounted on the rim is flush with the rim (take a tape measure and measure your rear rim, its actually alot wider lip to lip than 10 inchs more like 11) With the rim being where it is and the tire no wider than the outside of the rim I dont see what the concern is? Over thinking the whole thing? Anyway its up to the owner with what he or she wants but just had to say that they fit fine,probably better then the 275 imo becuse they dont have that too small for the rim look (taper).

Italian Stallion, I'm glad to see that you're returning your 285/30's. A guy from another forum sent me a private message once that he was UNHAPPY with the side wall height of the 30 on his Alcoas. In fact, he used the term "Looked like crap". Andretti, when I had my C6 Z06 there was a lot of positive comments about the General Exclaim UHP's. The are very inexpensive and come in the 275/255 sizing. I think they will be my choice for my Alcoas. Although I don't like the smooth look of the sidewall, you may also want to consider the Nitto Invo. I had them on my Z06 and absolutely loved them. I just didn't like the look of a smooth side wall.

The width/height ratio on the hankooks makes the 30 side walls on the 285's the same as with the 255/35 fronts, both tires are the same height (within.2 inchs). Visually they look exactly the same, if you want a larger sidewall than the front for that raked out look than ok. I have had nothing but complments and jaw dropping, but yhea it looks like crap.

First of all, I never said "Looks like crap" another member from another forum did who's had the 285's on his Alcoas for quite some time. Second, your numbers are wrong. There's a bigger difference between a 285/30 and a 275/35 than .2 inches. In fact, here are the correct figures. Nearly half an inch in sidewall height and nearly an inch in diameter.

285/30

Sidewall - 3.4"

Diameter - 26.7"

275/35

Sidewall - 3.8"

Diameter - 27.6"

Your right that my numbers were wrong. I miss typed in my post comparing the fronts to rears with fronts being "275's" when i meant "255's" (I dont think anyone would do a 275 up front? Just a type o and i fixed the post). I am saying if you have a 255/35 front tire and a 285/30 rear tire (with the v-12's) that the side wall height is virtualy the same. Looks excatly the same with the naked eye. If I would have posted the 255 in the first place my numbers were right on, Sorry for the confusion.

Hankook v12's (from there spec sheet)

255/35/20 27.0 tall 10.2 width

285/30/20 26.8 tall 11.4 width

= .2

Had better luck tonight. Got the TPMS squared away, just used my new bands and transplanted the bracket from the stockers and applied some double sided tape to finish that off. Mounted and balanced the front tires and wheels and put them on.

Good Golly !! These look awesome. They look better in person than in pics.

Hopefully, I'll get the new rear tires(275/35/20) by Friday and get them on as well

to finish the job. In the meantime, I'll leave it up on jacks and stare at the front of the

car for a while.

th_InstallAlcoa004.jpg

th_InstallAlcoa002.jpg

th_InstallAlcoa008.jpg

th_InstallAlcoa009.jpg

th_InstallAlcoa012.jpg

th_InstallAlcoa013.jpg

IS

Archived