TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aloca Wheels

robertlane

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TXCobra, Could you shoot a shot showing the cars stance from infront and back too? The shots look awesome, but I'm really curious how the 295s look from straight behind as well.

Thanks much if you can. Either way, the wheels/car look incredible. I am seriously dieing to get the tires ordered and on the car (not like the car's moving anywah with the weather as it is locally), but at this point, I'm just totally stoked I have the wheels in hand.

As far as you guys saving your stock wheels and taking them off the car, if they are that rare, I'd definately do it and store them somewhere to avoid them getting messed up.....But if you ask me, I cant figure why they put 18' ones on the car in the first place outside of better performance (less weight) than the 20's. The wheels dont hold a candle to the 20's even remotely. Performance wise I understand, but they could have come up with something 1000X better looking for 18" wheels. The 18" Alcoa's just dont 'translate' IMO like the 20's do. If I'd have never seen the 20's, then maybe....but there just isnt any compairison to me.

andretti

I agree with you on the 20's Andretti, but there are a large number of folks who love the 18's...they are even trying to get Amy at Shelby to produce a run on non KR branded 18's. Ok, I think these are the shots you asked for, if there is another shot you are looking for, let me know:

IMG_1472b.jpg

IMG_1473b.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

One more comparison shot...they do stick out about 1/4 inch, but I think it has to do with the offset of the wheel, not the tire. This is a compare of my 295/30/20 on my KR and a 275/30/20 on my 40th vert: (they both stick out about the same)

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

Thanks for the pics....thats exactly what I was looking for. I'm really curious now if my Elbach Pro springs will let me run 295's out back. I havent installed them yet, but they are in my garage so they might as well be since they likely cant be returned without a restocking fee, which I wont pay for.

If I can run those, I will be running 295's out back I'm thinking now.

Thanks alot! I'm extremly paritial to blue mustangs, but between yours and 08 mustang, I'm definately realizing I was selling other corlors short without justification. Your car looks incredible (as does 08 Mustangs). I'm very envious.

Andretti

Goodyear Eagle F1's

Can you recommend which specific ones of the Goodyear Eagle F1's? I count 10 different ones that start with 'Eagle F1.....' on tirerack.com alone. I'm trying to do some compairison shopping looking for the best bang for my buck. I want nice ones, but I cant afford $500+ per tire. Mine is a garage queen and is parked during the winter and from the rain if I'm not caught out in it, and I'd definately like a good tire for those circumstances. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thanks very much

Andretti

Can you recommend which specific ones of the Goodyear Eagle F1's? I count 10 different ones that start with 'Eagle F1.....' on tirerack.com alone. I'm trying to do some compairison shopping looking for the best bang for my buck. I want nice ones, but I cant afford $500+ per tire. Mine is a garage queen and is parked during the winter and from the rain if I'm not caught out in it, and I'd definately like a good tire for those circumstances. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thanks very much

Andretti

These are the ones I got. I paid a little under $1100 for all 4 - (2) 255/35/20 and (2) 295/30/20 after rebates, including mounting, balancing, valve stems, etc. They seem to be great. Let me know if you need more info.

Eagle F1's

Bryan, I know what you mean about the red vs blue thing. I also have become a fan of the red since purchasing my vista blue. I think it's one of those things that we always want what we don't have. My Alcoas arrive this Thursday but I think I'm gonna stick with the 275/35 and 255/35. I want the tires to have the same fitment look on both the front and rear rim. I too have thought about this tire size thing for months and feel you really can't go wrong either way. I've never seen a wheel compliment a car the way the Alcoa does to our mustangs! Looking forward to seeing the final result.

Bryan, I know what you mean about the red vs blue thing. I also have become a fan of the red since purchasing my vista blue. I think it's one of those things that we always want what we don't have. My Alcoas arrive this Thursday but I think I'm gonna stick with the 275/35 and 255/35. I want the tires to have the same fitment look on both the front and rear rim. I too have thought about this tire size thing for months and feel you really can't go wrong either way. I've never seen a wheel compliment a car the way the Alcoa does to our mustangs! Looking forward to seeing the final result.

Yeah, the red does look really sharp and I am constantly amazed how good it does look. I know though that the Vista Blue is what I have to keep to be happy. I bought a mustang in the first place because thats what my parents had when I was very little. When they sold it I actually cried. From that day forward I always said that I'd have a blue '65 fastback mustang of my very own. When the new one came out in 2005 I realized I could have the best of both worlds, old school look and new more modern suspension/air conditioning and all...so the choice was easy. As far as color though...there was really never much of a doubt. When I did start considering different colors at the last second before getting mine, I knew that if I did change at the last second, I'd prolly regret it forever and I know thats exactly what would happen, so I stuck with the vista blue choice.

I've no regrets, but am definately able to enjoy other colors, though likely I couldnt have done it for myself. 08's original GT was another beautiful, knock your socks off color. It too made me wonder if I had chosen wronge. But in the end I always come back to the same decision....blue.

Andretti

The Alcoas arrived at home today. SAI did a great job getting these out and at my front door in less than a week.

They sure look incedible. With the 18" vs the 20" thing, Its my opinion the GT500 should have come with the

20". Aside from the KR owners, its hard to say if the 18s will ever materialize. Will post pics as soon as I get

the tires and new 20" bands for my stock sensors. Hope to have them on for ShelbyFest 2010.

th_20inAlcoa003.jpg

th_20inAlcoa005.jpg

th_20inAlcoa009.jpg

ISth_20inAlcoa006.jpg

The Alcoas arrived at home today. SAI did a great job getting these out and at my front door in less than a week.

They sure look incedible. With the 18" vs the 20" thing, Its my opinion the GT500 should have come with the

20". Aside from the KR owners, its hard to say if the 18s will ever materialize. Will post pics as soon as I get

the tires and new 20" bands for my stock sensors. Hope to have them on for ShelbyFest 2010.

congrats!!

After months of looking at wheels for these cars the Alcoas imo are the best out there and the 20in wheel looks perfect on the s197. Congrats and enjoy them!

Thanks guys, can't wait to get them on. If these 20s are good for the 725Hp SuperSnake, then there good enough for me.

Hope the ride and handling is what I expect as compared to the stock 18s.

IS

Thanks guys, can't wait to get them on. If these 20s are good for the 725Hp SuperSnake, then there good enough for me.

Hope the ride and handling is what I expect as compared to the stock 18s.

IS

So what tire lineup are you going with I.S.? I'm really wondering if I should do the 295/35s on the rears and 255/30's on the fronts or straight up what 08 Mustang did. Both look awesome so I'm a bit torn. I guess I need to review the difference of what the second set of numbers mean to remind myself of what the differences would be and maybe what I should do.

Please post when you get the tires mounted and then everything on the car. I'd love to see your results.

Also, I'm noticing your from Missouri, mind saying where?? I'm in KC myself.

Andretti

Bryan, I think you've got the numbers mixed up. It's actually 295/30 on the rear and 255/35 on the front. The middle number is referred to as the aspect ratio. It represents the percentage of how much side wall there is in relation to the width of the tire. The lower the middle number the less the sidewall. Here's a link to show exactly what I mean. http://www.discountpartcenter.com/tiresafety/TireAspectRatio.htm Here's another fun link to play around with sizes. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

So what tire lineup are you going with I.S.? I'm really wondering if I should do the 295/35s on the rears and 255/30's on the fronts or straight up what 08 Mustang did. Both look awesome so I'm a bit torn. I guess I need to review the difference of what the second set of numbers mean to remind myself of what the differences would be and maybe what I should do.

Please post when you get the tires mounted and then everything on the car. I'd love to see your results.

Also, I'm noticing your from Missouri, mind saying where?? I'm in KC myself.

Andretti

Hi Andretti.

I'm in St Louis. This tire thing will make you pull your hair out.

From what I can gather. Early on with the 20s, the approach

was 255/35/20 up front and the 275/30/20 out back. Was this what the Super Snake had ?

I now hear, Shelby recommends for the 20s the 255/35/20 up front and the 285/30/20 out back.

This is probably what I'll do 255/35 and the 285/30.

I see that alot of us are doing a little bit of everything. In my mind the jury is still out on what I'm going to do.

What about you ?

IS

Italian Stallion, the original supersnake recommendation was 265/35 front and 285/35 rear. However, there are very limited tire choices available in these sizes. There are many more choices if you simply changed to 255 and 275. Then there is the issue of potential rubbing if you go too wide on the rear because the rim alone sits flush with the fender never mind what happens when you add a bulging tire on that rim. This all has to do with the Alcoa offset which pushes the rims outward and leaves little room for the tire. With all that said, I have still seen situations where 305's have been used in the rear but I'm not sure how they're doing it without rubbing. They must not be lowering the car at all.

Italian Stallion, the original supersnake recommendation was 265/35 front and 285/35 rear. However, there are very limited tire choices available in these sizes. There are many more choices if you simply changed to 255 and 275. Then there is the issue of potential rubbing if you go too wide on the rear because the rim alone sits flush with the fender never mind what happens when you add a bulging tire on that rim. This all has to do with the Alcoa offset which pushes the rims outward and leaves little room for the tire. With all that said, I have still seen situations where 305's have been used in the rear but I'm not sure how they're doing it without rubbing. They must not be lowering the car at all.

Thanks for the details. That sums it up in a nutshell. That must be why there is a ton of tire discussion.

My car is not lowered. What about the 255/35 up front and the 285/30 out back...any thoughts on rubbing ?

Thanks for the details. That sums it up in a nutshell. That must be why there is a ton of tire discussion.

My car is not lowered. What about the 255/35 up front and the 285/30 out back...any thoughts on rubbing ?

you can run a 285/30 out back..I have seen others do this

My KR is lowered and I went with 295 in back and there is no rubbing whatsoever.

fortunately the KR's are lowered moderately which allows for owners to do this......I can assure you that with the stance of my car, when I make left hand or right hand turn while going up an incline (ie: my driveway), my rear wheels tuck inside the fenders perfectly. If I had a tire that sat flush with the rim or was wider, they would definitely hit.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I did infact have my numbers backwards. I'm leaning towards ordering some tires in the next few days (happy valentines day to me) and wanted to go over stuff a bit more. Its definately alot to consider, but more I want to make sure not only to make a good decision, but avoid potential problems.

Thanks again

Andretti

you can run a 285/30 out back..I have seen others do this

fortunately the KR's are lowered moderately which allows for owners to do this......I can assure you that with the stance of my car, when I make left hand or right hand turn while going up an incline (ie: my driveway), my rear wheels tuck inside the fenders perfectly. If I had a tire that sat flush with the rim or was wider, they would definitely hit.

Cameron,

What size are you running up front and out back.

Archived