TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is This a Real Shelby?

Snake Handler

Is this a real Shelby? It's from the site Cars in Barns. Says the car is in rural PA.

Hard to tell for sure from that picture. It very well could be, but people were customizing Mustangs back in the 60's and '70's to look like Shelbys. I remember a car that I thought for sure was a '66 GT350, back when I was in grade school in the early '70's. It had quarter windows, side scoops, Shelby hood. It would have been less expensive in those days to just go out and buy a '66 GT350 than to spend the money making your '66 fastback look like a Shelby, but I found out later that this car was a clone when a buddy of mine ended up with it. I remember A '67 fastback a couple years later that everybody thought was a Shelby - same story.

I doubt it's a Shelby. Look at the hub caps, no Shelby I can recall had those. The body style is a 65 or 66 fastback I believe. Those door and 1/4 scoops belong to the 68 model.

I could be wrong and I might be misteaken but I think this might be the legendary 1966 Mustang POS.

QSS

I doubt it's a Shelby. Look at the hub caps, no Shelby I can recall had those. The body style is a 65 or 66 fastback I believe. Those door and 1/4 scoops belong to the 68 model.

I could be wrong and I might be misteaken but I think this might be the legendary 1966 Mustang POS.

QSS

QSS,

Actually that is either a 67 or 68 Mustang (Shelby Mustang ??) of some sort. The Steel Wheels have the GT center caps on the rear...

Stuart

Here's a sad story for three reasons. One is that the original owner of this car was KIA in Vietnam; two because it sits as a daily, painful, memorial for the owners parents; and three because a really great car is rotting and rusting away that should get the TLC is needs to be back on the road again.

A really sad story IMO...

http://www.carsinbarns.com/Blue%20Ovals%20In%20Barns/pg30.html

There are lots of Mustang and Shelby stories on the site. Here's one of my favorites. Friends Shelby

That's just flat out wrong. Jeez, some people just don't get it do they? Nothing worse than an orphaned car, but an orphaned Shelby is a F'in tradegy.

There should be a law against that.

Here's a sad story for three reasons. One is that the original owner of this car was KIA in Vietnam; two because it sits as a daily, painful, memorial for the owners parents; and three because a really great car is rotting and rusting away that should get the TLC is needs to be back on the road again.

A really sad story IMO...

http://www.carsinbarns.com/Blue%20Ovals%20In%20Barns/pg30.html

I think this car was stolen from where it sat about a year or so ago, haven't heard if it was recovered but I don't think so. The neibors watched a tow truck haul it away, not knowing it was being stolen. Very sad ending.

QSS,

Actually that is either a 67 or 68 Mustang (Shelby Mustang ??) of some sort. The Steel Wheels have the GT center caps on the rear...

Stuart

Look closer, those are base model dog pans on the back. I've looked at this photo before, as have a number of my friends. It's probably a base Mustang someone was trying to make a Mu-lby out of. No holes in the front fenders for emblems, and the rocker stripe appears to be an aftermarket add on . I'd love to get a closer look though.

• 1 month later...

That's just flat out wrong. Jeez, some people just don't get it do they? Nothing worse than an orphaned car, but an orphaned Shelby is a F'in tradegy.

There should be a law against that.

I think buddy Bob, need to go beat his friend's a$$. Seriously, an original 67 Shelby sitting out in the New England winters? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little

I remember seeing a car just like that when I used to go hunting as a kid. My dad said it was a parts car. This was in central PA early 80's. Maybe? I used to see a gulf/aqua GT500 out by farm on blocks also.

Back in the day low res 1.JPG

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I think this car was stolen from where it sat about a year or so ago, haven't heard if it was recovered but I don't think so. The neibors watched a tow truck haul it away, not knowing it was being stolen. Very sad ending.

A co-worker sent me pictures of this car ten years ago from Long Island. He said "the wheels and frame were in the mud." :cry:

If it was stolen the thief is going to have a hard time titling the car. Maybe re-body but good luck going through SAAC for a owner verification. :unsure: Maybe the family sold it.

• 3 months later...

My personal experience with a car like this, A friend of mine who owns Orlando Mustang in Orlando Florida had known about an old Gent who had 50 or so old fords in a lot behind his house. None were ever for sale. years and years later the gent died and his sone sold them off. He got to buy 2, A 66 GT350 and 67 GT350. No joke I have never seen rustier cars in my life, Trunk and hoods almost completely gone from rust, Rear haunches you could put your hand through, Roofs you could slide a finger through the gutters as they were rusted through. He sold them both at a good point in the market at over 20k each to folks that would restore them as he would not allow them to be cut up. I don't know where you begin with cars such as those.

I know of another 67 500 that was stuck in a guys yard with other shelbies for years and my buddy told me how, during a visit to the yard, he pulled out the floor grommets years back to let the standing water out of the pans. I saw that car years later at a show in what used to be Church Street Station in downtown orlando and it blew me away, Simply awesome. .

At one point these cars were just used cars bringing a few hundred/few thousand dollars. Its kind of amazing how many actually survived.

I bought a 67 GT FB with EVERY option you can think of, 390, four speed, deluxe interior, convenance pack, tach dash. AM/FM, folding rear seat, A/C, PDB, PS. ribbed rear light panel, etc etc etc for 1000 bucks from a guys chicken house, He sold off probably 50 cars that day as he was moving, my buddy bought a late 60s Firebird for 1000 bucks as well. My car was so welded together with rust I sold it the same day to my dealer buddy for 1200. Sat for years until a guy bought it to restore.

Peter

Is this possibly the 95 Original mile car that was found on long island in a Junk yard? i remember seeing it for sale years ago. Story was the car was stolen from a dealers lot and stripped. car sat in a junk yard for many years until it was finally sold and restored.

Obviously this one does not look stripped but 2 "lost" shelby cars on long island?

cheers. Peter

Is this possibly the 95 Original mile car that was found on long island in a Junk yard? i remember seeing it for sale years ago. Story was the car was stolen from a dealers lot and stripped. car sat in a junk yard for many years until it was finally sold and restored.

Obviously this one does not look stripped but 2 "lost" shelby cars on long island?

cheers. Peter

Long Island is a magical place filled with special people. :kuko:

Archived