TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Belt squeak

Alansvt

first off my car has a 2.6 upper and metco idler. The belt squeak only happens when its cold after about 10 mins or so it stops.

my question is anyone else having this issue? If so how would I fix it?

thanks for any help

Alan

I have the same problem that has just started. I've only had the parts on for two weeks. I purchased some STP Belt stuff, sprayed it on and it didn't do anything. Now all it does is sqeek on startup and and when the engine is under load. What's weird, is that while driving down the street I can push in the clutch and it will stop. It does not go away after it heats up.

I called Evo Performance, and they told me that the belts have a tendancy to "Glaze". He told me you can either buy and new belt or try the spay stuff like I tried. I really don't want to buy a new belt, anyone have any ideas???

I have the same problem that has just started. I've only had the parts on for two weeks. I purchased some STP Belt stuff, sprayed it on and it didn't do anything. Now all it does is sqeek on startup and and when the engine is under load. What's weird, is that while driving down the street I can push in the clutch and it will stop. It does not go away after it heats up.

I called Evo Performance, and they told me that the belts have a tendancy to "Glaze". He told me you can either buy and new belt or try the spay stuff like I tried. I really don't want to buy a new belt, anyone have any ideas???

Try cleaning all of the pulleys with a solvent where they come in contact with the belt. There may have been something on the new pulley (paint) that needs to be cleaned off.

are you 100% sure your new s/c pulley is on all the way / lined up with the other pulleys? i have seen on 2003/2004 cobras when the s/c pulley was put on out of line it would squeel

Yes I am sure its on 100%.... It only squeaks on cold mornings and goes away after 15 mins. I was told that these belts suck so that might be the issue. Guess ill try to get a new belt under warranty.

Alan

A lot of people are having this problem, and it is fantastically annoying.

Check this thread out: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48978-belt-glazing-solutions/

I just got back from visiting JBA, I asked the guys in the shop about my problem. Low and behold!!! I'm not the only person with the sqealing problem. Another guy is going to replace his Metco Idler with the Steeda adjustable Idler. While at JBA I tried spraying some WD40 on the Idler pulley, this didn't help any. I was frustrated and drove back home. They told me all I could do is trouble shoot the whole system piece by piece.

I get home and take off the Metco Idler pulley, guess what, my chirpping birds under my hood went away. So my problem I think has been solved. I don't know what I'm going to do yet though? The Metco I have is the single bearing not the double. I thinks I'm going to go with the adjustable Steeda Idler pulley. I'm also going to change the belt while I'm at it. What really sucks is I've not even had the Idler on for two weeks yet!

I'll let you all know what happens when I install the Steeda part here in the next couple of days.... :lurk:

I just got back from visiting JBA, I asked the guys in the shop about my problem. Low and behold!!! I'm not the only person with the sqealing problem. Another guy is going to replace his Metco Idler with the Steeda adjustable Idler. While at JBA I tried spraying some WD40 on the Idler pulley, this didn't help any. I was frustrated and drove back home. They told me all I could do is trouble shoot the whole system piece by piece.

I get home and take off the Metco Idler pulley, guess what, my chirpping birds under my hood went away. So my problem I think has been solved. I don't know what I'm going to do yet though? The Metco I have is the single bearing not the double. I thinks I'm going to go with the adjustable Steeda Idler pulley. I'm also going to change the belt while I'm at it. What really sucks is I've not even had the Idler on for two weeks yet!

I'll let you all know what happens when I install the Steeda part here in the next couple of days.... :lurk:

I have the Reichard 2.65" upper with the Metco idler on my setup. It started chirping worse and worse with the Metco single bearing idler. I just happened to have a spare idler with Double Bearings so I swapped it in. It lessened the chirp but it was still there.

Next I repositioned the upper pulley to line up better, once again the chirp went away but came back soon after. Temporarily I took out the idler and ran it without one until I got my new belt.

Put on a fresh Motorcraft belt 2 weeks ago and drove it easy about 100 miles. Next day on a cold start it's chirping again for about 5-10 seconds.

From the other thread it sounds like once the belt starts to slip it will glaze and cause the noise. I think more belt tension along with the special coating on the Upper Pulley helped. The Metco alone offers plenty of tension, not sure why the Steeda design alone would eliminate the noise. It's not the idler bearings themselves. :angry22:

• 2 weeks later...

Called up my buddy who works at the service department the other day to ask about my belt squeak. He ordered another belt and had it replaced under warrenty. So no more belt squeak for me....Hopefully they will start making a aftermarket belt soon....

Have to love mod friendly Ford dealer ships....

Called up my buddy who works at the service department the other day to ask about my belt squeak. He ordered another belt and had it replaced under warrenty. So no more belt squeak for me....Hopefully they will start making a aftermarket belt soon....

Have to love mod friendly Ford dealer ships....

It will be back soon enough.

we all know how finiky grabber is with his car and ive never heard him complain about a belt sqeek .thats why i think im going with the vmp unit.maybe he will chim in on it.

I have the VMP pulley and Justin sells a little bigger belt tensioner pulley that takes up the slack. It has never made a squeek.

See pic's here:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43404-stage-ii-vmp-265-pulley-and-90mm-idlerhold-on-baby/page__view__getnewpost__fromsearch__1

I didnt have belt squeak till I hit around 3k miles. I have the evo stock looking pulley

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=646

I also installed the Metco Motorsports auxiliary idler Extreme Duty Double-Bearing Idler. Now I am not sure if thats the same size as the idler pulley you have grabber.

http://www.metcomotorsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MSI-90

I have the VMP pulley and Justin sells a little bigger belt tensioner pulley that takes up the slack. It has never made a squeek.

See pic's here:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43404-stage-ii-vmp-265-pulley-and-90mm-idlerhold-on-baby/page__view__getnewpost__fromsearch__1

The slack is not the issue. In fact a chirping belt with the idler removed will actually get a lot quieter.

Try cleaning all of the pulleys with a solvent where they come in contact with the belt. There may have been something on the new pulley (paint) that needs to be cleaned off.

+1

If it were me I would remove all the ribbed pulleys that come in contact with the inside of the belt clean them thoroughly and reinstall with a new belt. It's pretty easy to get some oil (even from your hands) or grease on a pulley during the initial install.

Best of luck

See pic's here:

thats what im talking about . thanks grabber.

Archived