TEAM SHELBY FORUM

traction issues

breoland

Speaking of traction, or at least tires, I was thumbing through the Shelby Performance Parts catalog for winter of 2008 and found some interesting tire recommendations for the Alcoa 9's and 10's.............................

265's? 285's?

Picture1731-1-1.jpg

R

well, factoring in the horsepower, the stock sizes, are like running bicycle tires.

these which you have found, are basically, 'slightly bigger' bicycle tires.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind the R888 is a road race tire. Better than a drag radial for corners, and they do have a softer compound than a PS2. Negatives are the rubber needs to be hot to gain the traction advantage and tire life will be around 3000 miles at best. Its all a trade-off. I would bet the slightly narrower R888 hook better than the wider PS2 on a sunny day, but in the rain or colder weather I think the street tire takes the edge. Would be a real interesting test.

I was only comparing actual tire size for the same size rim. I had heard that the R888 is a more aggresive tire than the PS2.

I think someone on the SVT Cobra R forum is using the R888's and really likes them. They almost sound like the 100 tread wear BFG KD's that originally came on the 2000 Cobra R. I drove my 00R up the street for the first time and every pebble and piece of sand was making noise in the fenderwell area. Those sticky 100's picked up everything. Those were the true "R" compound tires. The 180 tread wear that came on the KR was a hard compound in comparision.

R

well, factoring in the horsepower, the stock sizes, are like running bicycle tires.

these which you have found, are basically, 'slightly bigger' bicycle tires.

I'm just suprised at the smaller "installed size" (255/275) when these slightly larger sizes are listed in the SPP catalog as recommendations.

I know this has been hashed over, and over again, but if 285's would have been installed on the rear (same as original), the jokes about increasing the h.p. while down sizing the rubber would have never been.

Maybe the 285's touched the brake ducts?

R

Keep in mind the R888 is a road race tire. Better than a drag radial for corners, and they do have a softer compound than a PS2. Negatives are the rubber needs to be hot to gain the traction advantage and tire life will be around 3000 miles at best. Its all a trade-off. I would bet the slightly narrower R888 hook better than the wider PS2 on a sunny day, but in the rain or colder weather I think the street tire takes the edge. Would be a real interesting test.

as usual, i absolutely agree with you Lee. everyone needs to figure out there specific uses.

i think the 335 ps2's are probably the best all around tire. but i never tried them, so i'm only going by you.

i only went with the toyos hoping they would hook even better under street race conditions. considering i have 4 cars, and one is 4wd for rain.

plus it is so damn summer 100 degree hot here everyday in the shade. the pavement here is a frying pan.

until i try both sets on the same car i wont know i guess which is the all around best winner for my applications.

i sure do love these toyo R888's though. they are hooking really well. running 31 pounds of air i have all of second back. and allot of first.

i guess the best thing coming out of this is, you are saying the 335 ps2's are great, and i and others are saying the same for the R888's. so the big conclusion seems to be we are all so happy and have gone most of the way home to solving this terrible traction deficit in these cars.

hallefcknlujah!!

I'm just suprised at the smaller "installed size" (255/275) when these slightly larger sizes are listed in the SPP catalog as recommendations.

I know this has been hashed over, and over again, but if 285's would have been installed on the rear (same as original), the jokes about increasing the h.p. while down sizing the rubber would have never been.

Maybe the 285's touched the brake ducts?

R

the only way to have 'shelby' avoided these traction issues in general, would have been, wider wheels And wider tires, in the neighborhood of 335 ps2's or 315 sticky compound tires or something very close. i do not think the 285's on those stock rims would have been nearly enough. as well, you are likely correct. they probably were rubbing on all these parts we have all discarded. the compound is very important because i ran a set of nitto nto5 stickier tires in the stock size on the rears before the big modification we have discussed, and it was night and day. sticky is very beneficial. it made the stock pirellis seem just like they were, dangerous. lee, had it all right. you must, due to poor offset, widen all the wheel and width rubber to the 'inside'. accomplished via the wheel widening and tire choice.

as usual, i absolutely agree with you Lee. everyone needs to figure out there specific uses.

i think the 335 ps2's are probably the best all around tire. but i never tried them, so i'm only going by you.

i only went with the toyos hoping they would hook even better under street race conditions. considering i have 4 cars, and one is 4wd for rain.

plus it is so damn summer 100 degree hot here everyday in the shade. the pavement here is a frying pan.

until i try both sets on the same car i wont know i guess which is the all around best winner for my applications.

i sure do love these toyo R888's though. they are hooking really well. running 31 pounds of air i have all of second back. and allot of first.

i guess the best thing coming out of this is, you are saying the 335 ps2's are great, and i and others are saying the same for the R888's. so the big conclusion seems to be we are all so happy and have gone most of the way home to solving this terrible traction deficit in these cars.

hallefcknlujah!!

I think we are splitting hairs deciding which is best between the 315 R888 and the 335 PS2. I agree with your bottom line! Both are a huge imporvement and make the cars hook and look like they should.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we are splitting hairs deciding which is best between the 315 R888 and the 335 PS2. I agree with your bottom line! Both are a huge imporvement and make the cars hook and look like they should.

LEE,

What tire pressure are those of us that have gone the wider rims,335's route running.

Alex..........

LEE,

What tire pressure are those of us that have gone the wider rims,335's route running.

Alex..........

It's application specific, the less air though, the stickier it will be, more and she will spin out more. The warning sensors are set at 31 pounds I believe, when I try lower I get a dash light. More air is better mileage and tire life, but then that is counter productive, so I would go 32 all around cold no more.. for the street for max traction. So less, is more.

LEE,

Alex..........

It's application specific, the less air though, the stickier it will be, more and she will spin out more. The warning sensors are set at 31 pounds I believe, when I try lower I get a dash light. More air is better mileage and tire life, but then that is counter productive, so I would go 32 all around cold no more.. for the street for max traction. So less, is more.

LEE,

Alex..........

Depends on if the "low air" light bugs you. If it does run 31psi. If not drop it to 25 or so. It will hook better at 25. I run 31 because the light bugs me! I need to find out if there is a way to lower the psi setting for the light.

Depends on if the "low air" light bugs you. If it does run 31psi. If not drop it to 25 or so. It will hook better at 25. I run 31 because the light bugs me! I need to find out if there is a way to lower the psi setting for the light.

the light bothers me too so i run 30 and it goes off upon heating up in a block.

i would run 27 on the street if i could get away with it. let me know if you figure out how to fix the light setting please.

how bout putting the 4 sensors in a doughnut spare in the trunk filled with 35 pounds lol.

the light bothers me too so i run 30 and it goes off upon heating up in a block.

i would run 27 on the street if i could get away with it. let me know if you figure out how to fix the light setting please.

how bout putting the 4 sensors in a doughnut spare in the trunk filled with 35 pounds lol.

Thanks for the feedback...

Alex.

I checked with John Lund and he told me the only way is to turn them off, or trick them like you suggested. I would hate to run totally witout them. Someone could make some $$ if they would build a tire sensor that was about 10 psi off.

Miami - Did you ever move your 275's to the front?

Thanks, R

pic photo file is too big to upload is what i keep getting.

Here are some pix of Marc's (miamimtg) Super Snake with the 11.75" <<(is this right Marc, 11 3/4) rears and 315/30's and the original 9's up front with 275/35's....................

photo-5.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-7.jpg

photo-6.jpg

photo-3.jpg

Nice Marc!!

R

Hey guys... this thread has come a long way. I was wondering if you all can help me out. I really want these alcoas but not unless i get them wider. I was thinking of running the nitto 555r for the rear. going with the 305 in rear and 255 up front. will this work?

SO this is what i am looking at 305 nitto 555r on an 11 in wheel and the 255 up front. how will it look, will it fit and what is the hirght on the rears

Thanks for the imput

-B

Hey guys... this thread has come a long way. I was wondering if you all can help me out. I really want these alcoas but not unless i get them wider. I was thinking of running the nitto 555r for the rear. going with the 305 in rear and 255 up front. will this work?

SO this is what i am looking at 305 nitto 555r on an 11 in wheel and the 255 up front. how will it look, will it fit and what is the hirght on the rears

Thanks for the imput

-B

Yes it will fit. You need a 305/35/20. The 305/30 is only 27.2" tall (way to short). The 305/35/20 is 28.4 which is almost too tall, but will still fit. Personally I would go wider. Its the same cost, why not go atleast 315 or all the way to 335.

Yes it will fit. You need a 305/35/20. The 305/30 is only 27.2" tall (way to short). The 305/35/20 is 28.4 which is almost too tall, but will still fit. Personally I would go wider. Its the same cost, why not go atleast 315 or all the way to 335.

Lee is correct. I am running the 305/35/20's on 11.75 razors and they fit great.

I thought the 315 is going to be too tall for the 555r drag radial. if you are saying the 315 is going to fit then i'll go 315. and widen to 11.5 what size fronts do i pair them up with?

A 315/30/20 is the same hieght as the stock SS tire. It fits perfectly. There are pics on this thread of a 315 car. I "believe" Nitto only makes a 315/35/20 which would be too tall. you can get away with 28.5" on a 305, but on a 315 or wider your tire will rub. 28" is right at max height on a big tire. You will start to scrape the outer sidewall on the inner fender on full compression.

A 315/30/20 is the same hieght as the stock SS tire. It fits perfectly. There are pics on this thread of a 315 car. I "believe" Nitto only makes a 315/35/20 which would be too tall. you can get away with 28.5" on a 305, but on a 315 or wider your tire will rub. 28" is right at max height on a big tire. You will start to scrape the outer sidewall on the inner fender on full compression.

Lee - I am debating the Dunlops 325's.........I know they are expensive, but my plan is to do all four tires with 9.5" rims on the front and now 11.5" on the rear if I infact do the 325's. 11.5" is a perfect size for the 325's. I can buy Dunlop Sport Maxx GT's for the front and rear, 275's and 325's. I have been trying to find a pair of Michelin PS2's in the 275/35 size with no luck, they are factory backorder and to add to that, I hear that Michelin is going though a redesign, so I may never be able to get a front 275 in a PS2 to match the rear 335's if I were to go the PS2 direction and 11.75" rears.

If I could find a pair of new 275/35ZR20 PS2's for the front of my SS, that would be a game/plan changer, but right now it seems that everyone is out of them, with some question as to if they will be available in the future..............

If I were only doing the widening on the rear, this would not be such a big deal for me personally, but since I am also going to pay for front wheels to be widened to 9.5" (if all of my calculations are correct), I would like whatever tires I buy for the car to match all the way around. <<<That's just me.........

R

Lee - I am debating the Dunlops 325's.........I know they are expensive, but my plan is to do all four tires with 9.5" rims on the front and now 11.5" on the rear if I infact do the 325's. 11.5" is a perfect size for the 325's. I can buy Dunlop Sport Maxx GT's for the front and rear, 275's and 325's. I have been trying to find a pair of Michelin PS2's in the 275/35 size with no luck, they are factory backorder and to add to that, I hear that Michelin is going though a redesign, so I may never be able to get a front 275 in a PS2 to match the rear 335's if I were to go the PS2 direction and 11.75" rears.

If I could find a pair of new 275/35ZR20 PS2's for the front of my SS, that would be a game/plan changer, but right now it seems that everyone is out of them, with some question as to if they will be available in the future..............

If I were only doing the widening on the rear, this would not be such a big deal for me personally, but since I am also going to pay for front wheels to be widened to 9.5" (if all of my calculations are correct), I would like whatever tires I buy for the car to match all the way around. <<<That's just me.........

R

Personally I think the 9" the front is fine. I don't think its worth the $$$ to add .5". I would just run the stock Pirelli's till the PS2's are back in stock. I still have my stock fronts on my car.

As for the rear, the Dunlap tires are not rathed as good as the PS2. Why pay twice as much for a lesser tire? Just do the 335 PS2. They are not much different in width. If you are worried about rubbing you can run the 335/25 PS2. Its a little shorter (closer to stock height, but still gives you the width you want.) Its a run flat so its a little more than the 30 series PS2, but gives you more wiggle room.

Personally I think the 9" the front is fine. I don't think its worth the $$$ to add .5". I would just run the stock Pirelli's till the PS2's are back in stock. I still have my stock fronts on my car.

As for the rear, the Dunlap tires are not rathed as good as the PS2. Why pay twice as much for a lesser tire? Just do the 335 PS2. They are not much different in width. If you are worried about rubbing you can run the 335/25 PS2. Its a little shorter (closer to stock height, but still gives you the width you want.) Its a run flat so its a little more than the 30 series PS2, but gives you more wiggle room.

Lee - I am already too far into this tire/wheel upgrade. I have purchased a full set of Super Snake logo'ed Alcoa's just for the purpose of widening them for the front and rear. I just want to have matching tires front and rear also.

I am going to research the 275/35 PS2's further before I spend more $$$ for a lesser tire. I do like the PS2's. I did find a website tonight showing the PS2 tread, either it was a wrong tread picture, or it is where the PS2 is going. It looked nothing like the current PS2 tread.

Do you know anyone in your area who might have a pair of 275/35 PS2's?

R

Lee - I am already too far into this tire/wheel upgrade. I have purchased a full set of Super Snake logo'ed Alcoa's just for the purpose of widening them for the front and rear. I just want to have matching tires front and rear also.

I am going to research the 275/35 PS2's further before I spend more $$$ for a lesser tire. I do like the PS2's. I did find a website tonight showing the PS2 tread, either it was a wrong tread picture, or it is where the PS2 is going. It looked nothing like the current PS2 tread.

Do you know anyone in your area who might have a pair of 275/35 PS2's?

R

Check Discount Tire. They can search all there shops and ship you a set in from somewhere. How did you buy a set of Super Snake logo'd wheels?

Here are some pix of Marc's (miamimtg) Super Snake with the 11.75" <<(is this right Marc, 11 3/4) rears and 315/30's and the original 9's up front with 275/35's....................

photo-5.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-7.jpg

photo-6.jpg

photo-3.jpg

Nice Marc!!

R

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/57225-traction-super-snake-wheels-and-tires/

heres what was done on the car to widen the wheels and sizes

Archived