TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Homelink transmitter install

zeindog

Just finished up installing a homelink transmitter into the overhead map light console. I got the transmitter off ebay for $25 and installed it in under and hour. The install took a little modifying and removal of some of the plastic inside the pocket and cutting out a hole for the buttons, obviously. Once put back into the car it looks like it came from the factory that way, the black plastic is almost a perfect match.

photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Just finished up installing a homelink transmitter into the overhead map light console. I got the transmitter off ebay for $25 and installed it in under and hour. The install took a little modifying and removal of some of the plastic inside the pocket and cutting out a hole for the buttons, obviously. Once put back into the car it looks like it came from the factory that way, the black plastic is almost a perfect match.

photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Does your car have NAV? I bought the transmiter and have wondered if it will ift into the overhead console that has the mike for Sync the alarm sensors. Thenks, Wnenn

Does your car have NAV? I bought the transmiter and have wondered if it will ift into the overhead console that has the mike for Sync the alarm sensors. Thenks, Wnenn

i was wondering the same thing....i took my console down a couple days ago to see if it would fit and it is very cramped.

i was wondering the same thing....i took my console down a couple days ago to see if it would fit and it is very cramped.

Yes I do have the nav package, the sensors in the console I believe are the motion sensors for the alarm. It is very cramped and I did have to make some modifications to get it in there but it does fit. The main problem was the air bag light, which I had to shave a little off the corner and modify the light bulb holder. I can try to get some better pics but it is all crammed in there and you might not be able to tell what I did. Once you get into it you will see what needs to be cut out, mainly its the pastic tabs that are sticking up.

Yes I do have the nav package, the sensors in the console I believe are the motion sensors for the alarm. It is very cramped and I did have to make some modifications to get it in there but it does fit. The main problem was the air bag light, which I had to shave a little off the corner and modify the light bulb holder. I can try to get some better pics but it is all crammed in there and you might not be able to tell what I did. Once you get into it you will see what needs to be cut out, mainly its the pastic tabs that are sticking up.

did you have to extend the buttons at all to still make contact through the plastic? what did you use to bond the controls to the the overhead console?

i see you used silicone on the inside

did you have to extend the buttons at all to still make contact through the plastic? what did you use to bond the controls to the the overhead console?

i see you used silicone on the inside

I used hot glue to hold everything in, thats what you see not silicone. To have the buttons make better contact I used a pencil eraser and cut it into three equal slices and put them inside the transmitter holes to take up the difference. When you do it you cut out a oval just a little smaller than the button plate you see. The plate seperates from the transmitter and to hold it back in I just used a dab of hot glue.

I used hot glue to hold everything in, thats what you see not silicone. To have the buttons make better contact I used a pencil eraser and cut it into three equal slices and put them inside the transmitter holes to take up the difference. When you do it you cut out a oval just a little smaller than the button plate you see. The plate seperates from the transmitter and to hold it back in I just used a dab of hot glue.

yeah right after i posted i figured it was hot glue and not silicone. i have seen others use erasers also.

I upgraded my mirror to the homelink autodimmer with temp sensor...I like having that information at a glance...also keeps the cop lights from blinding me when I get pulled over... :hysterical:

the 2010 mirror has is and auto dimming with a mic in it or i would do that as well.

Archived