TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Drag Radials

marinerfish

I am looking into this as well and there are not many options for a 18x9.5in wheel, as the Mickey Thompson ET 2 DR that will fit this wheel is shorter than stock (26.5 in. - 265/40/18). My plan is to go with the new size M&H Racemasters DR in a 275/45/18.

As for the F1s, they are rated as a summer tire and are not designed for colder temps.

Mickey Thompsons grip the best and 305/35's are very close to stock height. The only con is they don't last very long for everyday street use. Others here have recommended Nittos because they last longer but don't give you as much traction as the Mickeys.

The F1's are not recommended in colder weather, especially not to be used under 40 degrees F per the owners manual.

A good friend of mine highly recommends the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 for my GT500. He has them on his 05 Goat. Anyone here have any experience with these tires? They're pretty pricey (what isn't)

My purpose would be limited street use with occasional rac.....I mean performance demonstrations and I am interested in whether the GS-D3's hook enough to justify the prices I've seen. I'll go the bucks but I can't have anyone putting a hole shot on me.

Thanks for any input!

A good friend of mine highly recommends the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 for my GT500. He has them on his 05 Goat. Anyone here have any experience with these tires? They're pretty pricey (what isn't)

My purpose would be limited street use with occasional rac.....I mean performance demonstrations and I am interested in whether the GS-D3's hook enough to justify the prices I've seen. I'll go the bucks but I can't have anyone putting a hole shot on me.

Thanks for any input!

I don't care what goodyears those are, they are not gonna hook from the dig. If you want to hook pretty well on the street, you get the nitto or mt street radials. You just throwing money out the window thinking a regular radial gonna hook.

HI

I was on Nitto's site the other day. I noticed they have a new drage radial coming out the seems to be closer to the Mickeys and M&H tires. They have only listed a few of the size options, I think it is to be realeased first of 2010. For every day use the softer DR'S aren't going to last long.

Yes, stock 9.5" wheels:

IMG_2080.jpg

I cut very consistant 1.70's on the exact same tire. I've gone 1.64 in the right conditions. The only downside is that they're a little too short if you run 4.10s (I hammer the limiter at 6600 at the lights). They're fine with 3.73s or higher. Oh..actually, two downsides. The other was the fact that there's NO sidewall. You'll either hook....or not. There's NO middle ground. I'm swapping to a 15x10 wheel next season (thank you Mr Bogart) and a 325/50/15 M&H (Thanks John). Now THAT'S a sidewall!

bj

I cut very consistant 1.70's on the exact same tire. I've gone 1.64 in the right conditions. The only downside is that they're a little too short if you run 4.10s (I hammer the limiter at 6600 at the lights). They're fine with 3.73s or higher. Oh..actually, two downsides. The other was the fact that there's NO sidewall. You'll either hook....or not. There's NO middle ground. I'm swapping to a 15x10 wheel next season (thank you Mr Bogart) and a 325/50/15 M&H (Thanks John). Now THAT'S a sidewall!

bj

1.6 and 7's are sweet, Bj- and the M&H 15s will hook nice. That's the best way to go at the strip. I bought the drag radials for general use on both street and strip.

1.6 and 7's are sweet, Bj- and the M&H 15s will hook nice. That's the best way to go at the strip. I bought the drag radials for general use on both street and strip.

I'll be the one with the pile of broken crap at the starting line. :jackinbox:

bj

Mickey Thompsons grip the best and 305/35's are very close to stock height. The only con is they don't last very long for everyday street use. Others here have recommended Nittos because they last longer but don't give you as much traction as the Mickeys.

The F1's are not recommended in colder weather, especially not to be used under 40 degrees F per the owners manual.

+1 i have the same tires for track use mostly. Had them on the stock rims, and you could notice a small buldging, but they fit fine. I widenned the stock rims, and run the same tire now. No buldging and it seems that theres a little more tire contact now...

I have had the Nitto 305x40x18 and they were a huge improvement. Like anything else you get use to them and wonder if they are really hooking as the tread gets thinner and thinner.

I got about 8000 miles out of them and when new in Florida ... they are great in rain. I would love to get the MT's but with florida wetness and this car being my every day driver cant risk it.

This said ... in talking to EVO ... I do plan to widen my rims to 11" in the back .... with 11 inch stock rims ... what is the widest tire that you can squeeze under the wheel well ?

I have had the Nitto 305x40x18 and they were a huge improvement. Like anything else you get use to them and wonder if they are really hooking as the tread gets thinner and thinner.

I got about 8000 miles out of them and when new in Florida ... they are great in rain. I would love to get the MT's but with florida wetness and this car being my every day driver cant risk it.

This said ... in talking to EVO ... I do plan to widen my rims to 11" in the back .... with 11 inch stock rims ... what is the widest tire that you can squeeze under the wheel well ?

Depends on tire height and section width. As you know, sizes don't seem to be uniform across manufacturers. Take a peek at what width the manufacturers measure for their advertised sizes. For example, the Mickey DRs in 305/35/18 are measured on an 11" rim. It specs at a 12.5" section width and 11.5" of tread at the recommended pressure. It's also short...26.4" vs stock 27", so it'll make your effective gear ratio a little lower.

All this said, you can PROBABLY get a 345/35/18 on there. The Mickeys are measured on a 12" and is around 14" section and 12.5" or a little better on the ground. It's around 27.5" tall, so it'll raise your gear ratio. You MAY need to look at removing your shock dust sleeves and/or your bump stops at that width.

Hope this helps.

bj

• 9 months later...

Depends on tire height and section width. As you know, sizes don't seem to be uniform across manufacturers. Take a peek at what width the manufacturers measure for their advertised sizes. For example, the Mickey DRs in 305/35/18 are measured on an 11" rim. It specs at a 12.5" section width and 11.5" of tread at the recommended pressure. It's also short...26.4" vs stock 27", so it'll make your effective gear ratio a little lower.

All this said, you can PROBABLY get a 345/35/18 on there. The Mickeys are measured on a 12" and is around 14" section and 12.5" or a little better on the ground. It's around 27.5" tall, so it'll raise your gear ratio. You MAY need to look at removing your shock dust sleeves and/or your bump stops at that width.

Hope this helps.

bj

bj

What is posi-port, please email me at mschmalzsr@aol.com--------Thank you

Archived