TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How would you react....if it was your Shelby?

SGT/SC#0471

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this happens again the solution is simple. Cop has a gun.....I'm polite.....I get to live to drive my car again.

SVT

Amen to that!!! People are stressed out this days money jobs are gone people losing the pride and joys. But the sad thing that scares me is how police dept's are hiring cops without properly back ground checking because they have to get the numbers filled. So think next time you get pulled over and pray he has a dash cam without it. It's your word against his and trust me my department has fired numerous newly hired cops from selling drugs off duty to robbing drug dealers. It took me 4yrs to get on NYPD in the 90's even with me working for the FBI and my fathers military back ground they made me sweat it out.

And we become unintelligible nutbaggy dorks

by doing unintelligible nuttbaggy things

in public places.

Cheers!

Hi Frank I just would like to wish you a Merry Christmas

And I would also like to say that it is an amazing feat to drive well over 800 miles each way to spend 6 hours to hang out, I certainy would not consider that a unintelligible nuttbaggy thing to do so Kudos to you Mr. Frank.

Amen to that!!! People are stressed out this days money jobs are gone people losing the pride and joys. But the sad thing that scares me is how police dept's are hiring cops without properly back ground checking because they have to get the numbers filled. So think next time you get pulled over and pray he has a dash cam without it. It's your word against his and trust me my department has fired numerous newly hired cops from selling drugs off duty to robbing drug dealers. It took me 4yrs to get on NYPD in the 90's even with me working for the FBI and my fathers military back ground they made me sweat it out.

Dashcams do not mean squat, they can have things occur off the field of view...or my favorite (I know an attorney who has sued the PD, and won, they cannot find the tape when it is requested by subpoena) its missing. Face it something crappy goes down and the blue wall of silence usually goes up.

Dashcams do not mean squat, they can have things occur off the field of view...or my favorite (I know an attorney who has sued the PD, and won, they cannot find the tape when it is requested by subpoena) its missing. Face it something crappy goes down and the blue wall of silence usually goes up.

Hey Randy,

Your an accomplished artist and know a great deal about art, but my friend based on your posts, you know very little about the law enforcement profession. You and I have had some interesting conversations and I have looked at the majority of responses and they don't support you. We in the profession that have responded on the forum have admitted there are issues in every profession. Most of the members get it, cops are human and that being said they have bad days and make mistakes.

No field is perfect, everyone makes mistakes, I would think that you would realize that. In this business I am in, it is a dangerous line of work and there are many days officers don't go home to their families. As a matter of fact four from your area recently were gunned down by and idiot from Arkansas.

For the record, a dash cam only captures what is in it's field of view; however, the audio is also on the same recording, did you every check to see if the officer that stopped you actually had an in-car video system and ask to review the tape with a supervisor at the police department and complain about the level of service and attitude of the officer.

One of the best posts I reviewed pretty much said it, there is your version, the cops version, and usually we in management find the truth lays somewhere in the middle.

You are going to find that many in the LEO profession are car nuts just like you and cops are conservative by nature, I had to laugh when in one of your posts you referred to yourself and your friend as a couple of freaky looking dudes in a high dollar sports car, many younger cops generally go through a maturing process as do artists. I was a long hair in my day also, this dates me to the 70's good grief..........

Ask to see the in-car video if it is available, go down and view it with your friend, be objective and report back to us and let us know what you find out after reveiwing it. If your friend does go to court, the tape if there was in-car video should be played, but you will be on trial for the violation and not the level of service provided, again another officer recommended the conduct be reported. I think you said he wrote your partner for 10 over, that is a good stopping point, some officers allow less and some more, depends on the road conditions, complaints from citizens, and accident rate in any given area. In this profession there is also has a lot of discressionary authority. The threshold for a traffic stop is generally set by the CEO and members of the Command Staff bases on local norms. One of the most important parts of a traffic stop is attitude and it goes a long way on the resolution of any traffic stop and if you get a hard copy or a verbal/written warning.

Don't let this eat at you, you may very well have gotton a bad deal on your stop, believe it or not I have been on the other side to and there are certainly "arshos" in every profession, but the majority simply go to work and try to protect the public and make a shift and return home to their families.

What is hurting your posts and trying to make your case in the forum is your lack of knowledge about the profession and how the officers are hired and trained. In reality the national standard is about 1 of 12 that apply actually make it, we like college educated officers that have good communications skills in my agency, and yes officers are trained to check the trunk as they walk up to the drivers side, they are not trained to slap it to the point of damaging it.

Be Cool & Chill just a little redcard.gif Hope we are still forum friends GG

Hi Frank I just would like to wish you a Merry Christmas

And I would also like to say that it is an amazing feat to drive well over 800 miles each way to spend 6 hours to hang out, I certainy would not consider that a unintelligible nuttbaggy thing to do so Kudos to you Mr. Frank.

Happy End-of-Year Season of Excess to you, too.

It was closer to eleven hundred miles going and coming, and a great, nutbaggy pleasure from beginning to end, and fortunately every minute was delightfully intelligible (including but not limited to, the few minutes with an Arizona HP guy who learned about Californy Courtesy and nodded somberly as I drove away [no wheelspin]).

We either make ourselves happy or miserable.

The amount of work is the same.

—Carlos Castañeda, mystic and author (1925-1998)

Cheers!

Right on TAPD117. I'll tell you if every officer was as nice and intelligent (except our old buddy Bull who is scary to me) as the ones here on the forum the world would be a lovely place indeed.

My experiences are the same as yours, I have had good interactions and bad ones. Maybe it all goes back to my childhood and I need Franks shrink afterall, I do not know. hysterical.gifconfused.gifhysterical.gif

Your right the guy angered me alot, I disliked his attitude greatly, unlike him however I controlled my emotions. And I breathed deep and was respectful.

The internet and forums and e-mail are a strange thing, like take for instance Franks joke, I never realized he was joking until he replied to Nordic.

So trust me please when I tell you I am very chill, nothing is a bummer.

No offense but my friend and I are good with our respective lives and we do not really want to spend hours and hours talking to more officers about another officer. Again its not my problem legally.

My point of view is the guy that was hostile and rude has to live with himself and what must be a torturous existence, that is punishment enough. My actions and thoughts will remain compassionate towards him and others.

I do have to admit though we have both been making jokes about him since it happened however, followed by "poor dude"...hysterical.gif

I do disagree with a few of your points, you think I am making a case...no biggie...we can always be TS buds and maybe we can meet in person some day at a Shelby gathering...

I really do appreciate hearing your viewpoint as you are obviously knowledgeable about the subject. And I agree those officers that were killed is an insane tragedy.

Thank You and I hope you guys all have a good, safe next shift...

Right on TAPD117. I'll tell you if every officer was as nice and intelligent (except our old buddy Bull who is scary to me) as the ones here on the forum the world would be a lovely place indeed.

My experiences are the same as yours, I have had good interactions and bad ones. Maybe it all goes back to my childhood and I need Franks shrink afterall, I do not know. hysterical.gifconfused.gifhysterical.gif

Your right the guy angered me alot, I disliked his attitude greatly, unlike him however I controlled my emotions. And I breathed deep and was respectful.

The internet and forums and e-mail are a strange thing, like take for instance Franks joke, I never realized he was joking until he replied to Nordic.

So trust me please when I tell you I am very chill, nothing is a bummer.

No offense but my friend and I are good with our respective lives and we do not really want to spend hours and hours talking to more officers about another officer. Again its not my problem legally.

My point of view is the guy that was hostile and rude has to live with himself and what must be a torturous existence, that is punishment enough. My actions and thoughts will remain compassionate towards him and others.

I do have to admit though we have both been making jokes about him since it happened however, followed by "poor dude"...hysterical.gif

I do disagree with a few of your points, you think I am making a case...no biggie...we can always be TS buds and maybe we can meet in person some day at a Shelby gathering...

I really do appreciate hearing your viewpoint as you are obviously knowledgeable about the subject. And I agree those officers that were killed is an insane tragedy.

Thank You and I hope you guys all have a good, safe next shift...

the line to the showers starts over there....

You must be a LEO.

You're making me laugh!! NO I'm not a Leo. I just believe a PO deserves respect even if they're in the wrong. They never know who they're dealing with when they walk up to a car.

Its a tough job and that I know of they have not taught the LEOs to read minds yet.

SVT

You're making me laugh!! NO I'm not a Leo. I just believe a PO deserves respect even if they're in the wrong. They never know who they're dealing with when they walk up to a car.

Its a tough job and that I know of they have not taught the LEOs to read minds yet.

SVT

hysterical.gif Well as far as I know getting capped for speeding is not likley. Respect is a two way street.

I am glad your not a LEO I am a Capricorn...hysterical.gif

edit: Cheers!

Sap Gloves that is. Asks 6 times where driver was going "specifically" when he is given a City as an answer all 6 times? Then commands driver out of car and waves sap gloved hand within 6 inches of drivers face...and attempts intimidation/reaction and again asks where the driver is going. Lectures, acts tough and is a general jerk losing his temper.

Ok cops and cop lovers on the site what say you guys? I witnesed this behavior, sad and true...

Guess I'd be in jail as would tell cop if he sticks that glove near me again he will be eating it!

Well Jim he SMACKED the trunk of a 60k sportscar before even seeing who was driving it, so now what to your theroy.

How would you feel if he smacked the trunk of your Shelby? No one has answered that.

instead AS ALWAYS DEFEND THE COP.

He has no right to know where we were going anyway...

what planet are you people on.

Veterans have given a LOT for freedom yet this coward has the right to know why we are going to Portland after disrespecting my friends car with a sap glove and then acting HOSTLE?

You are both nuts, IMHO, sorry I disagree.

First off.......your Buddy WAS Speeding, you admit that, and that is breaking the Law so the Cop does have a right to be pissed. Second, the second time he ask where are you going he asked "where in Portland" and you Buddy was evasive and would not say, THAT gives the Cop more reason to to keep up with the questions and to ask him to get out of the car to seperate the two of you incase he wanted to ask you the same questions. As far as SLAPPING the Car, I can't picture the Cop actually "Slapping" the Car like a bully. I can only assume that the sound of the Slap was louder then the actual hardness of the Slap. Something tells me that the whole truth has not been said as to everyones attitude and I do know that the attitudes of the People inside the Vehicle that is pulled over contributes a lot to the attitude of the Cop.

salute.gifA cop clearly does not need to know where anybody is going its none of their busines. The only thing the cop needs to know is how fast you were going, if you have your seat belt on and if you have a valid drivers license and insurance and that you do not have any out standing warrants. Also their job is to make sure you don't have anything illegal in your automobile.

So if a cop asks me where I am going I will simply say are you giving me a ticket if not have a nice day.

For the most part I am extremely polite to the police but if I get a Prick of a cop then he gets my attitude just to piss him off even more. That is if I have no worries about getting arrested........ salute.gif

Just trying to stir the pot up a littlestirpot.gif

Hey Randy,

Your an accomplished artist and know a great deal about art, but my friend based on your posts, you know very little about the law enforcement profession. You and I have had some interesting conversations and I have looked at the majority of responses and they don't support you. We in the profession that have responded on the forum have admitted there are issues in every profession. Most of the members get it, cops are human and that being said they have bad days and make mistakes.

No field is perfect, everyone makes mistakes, I would think that you would realize that. In this business I am in, it is a dangerous line of work and there are many days officers don't go home to their families. As a matter of fact four from your area recently were gunned down by and idiot from Arkansas.

For the record, a dash cam only captures what is in it's field of view; however, the audio is also on the same recording, did you every check to see if the officer that stopped you actually had an in-car video system and ask to review the tape with a supervisor at the police department and complain about the level of service and attitude of the officer.

One of the best posts I reviewed pretty much said it, there is your version, the cops version, and usually we in management find the truth lays somewhere in the middle.

You are going to find that many in the LEO profession are car nuts just like you and cops are conservative by nature, I had to laugh when in one of your posts you referred to yourself and your friend as a couple of freaky looking dudes in a high dollar sports car, many younger cops generally go through a maturing process as do artists. I was a long hair in my day also, this dates me to the 70's good grief..........

Ask to see the in-car video if it is available, go down and view it with your friend, be objective and report back to us and let us know what you find out after reveiwing it. If your friend does go to court, the tape if there was in-car video should be played, but you will be on trial for the violation and not the level of service provided, again another officer recommended the conduct be reported. I think you said he wrote your partner for 10 over, that is a good stopping point, some officers allow less and some more, depends on the road conditions, complaints from citizens, and accident rate in any given area. In this profession there is also has a lot of discressionary authority. The threshold for a traffic stop is generally set by the CEO and members of the Command Staff bases on local norms. One of the most important parts of a traffic stop is attitude and it goes a long way on the resolution of any traffic stop and if you get a hard copy or a verbal/written warning.

Don't let this eat at you, you may very well have gotton a bad deal on your stop, believe it or not I have been on the other side to and there are certainly "arshos" in every profession, but the majority simply go to work and try to protect the public and make a shift and return home to their families.

What is hurting your posts and trying to make your case in the forum is your lack of knowledge about the profession and how the officers are hired and trained. In reality the national standard is about 1 of 12 that apply actually make it, we like college educated officers that have good communications skills in my agency, and yes officers are trained to check the trunk as they walk up to the drivers side, they are not trained to slap it to the point of damaging it.

Be Cool & Chill just a little redcard.gif Hope we are still forum friends GG

Hey Excellent post but there's one thing I have to say about college educated cops in NY !! Yes they have great communication skills but when working in a violate and non- educated area those skill always gets the cop lost and hurt. My old partner was college educated and on a job we had he was trying to explain to these 2 unfriendly drug dealers. That he wanted them to turn around so they can be handcuffed and the poor drug dealers were confused. So me being uneducated translated by saying if you dont turn around and but your hands behind your back or we are going to club the $hit out of you guys. One guy turned to me and said why didnt he say that from the beginning.

salute.gifA cop clearly does not need to know where anybody is going its none of their busines. The only thing the cop needs to know is how fast you were going, if you have your seat belt on and if you have a valid drivers license and insurance and that you do not have any out standing warrants. Also their job is to make sure you don't have anything illegal in your automobile.

So if a cop asks me where I am going I will simply say are you giving me a ticket if not have a nice day.

For the most part I am extremely polite to the police but if I get a Prick of a cop then he gets my attitude just to piss him off even more. That is if I have no worries about getting arrested........ salute.gif

See since the world turned liberal for the people and camera phone everywhere and cop has to use his mouth to get answers these days. So, If i ask you where you are heading and you to see santa and then I pull the passenger out and he says they are going to grandma house. Well that would raise my suspicion after a couple of more anti liberal questions and give me enough to search their car and find in the trunk a girl lady they snatched off the street. It happens to be you relative so I'm sure you will still be mad a the cops for harassing those individual and file a complaint. If your walking down a street I have every right to stop you ask you for your ID and where you are heading. If you dont have any ID you get cuffed and taken in to see if your a murder or a child molester must bad guys are caught by accident when on a car stop a person gets liberal most of time they are dirty. How was THE SON OF SAM caught !!!!!!!!!! See the knew educated cops most of them dont have that street mind to read out the guilty. I was talking to my SGT on day a car drove by with 4 guys in it. I told my Sgt that they are up to something 15 minutes later they tried to rob someone on the side street. Now if I would have pulled over before that and asked the same question that cop asked you that robbery would not have happened. Dont worry we caught all 4 incident to proven guilty men.

OK.

I had a client whose theme throughout every office visit was, "Why is it that every time I have contact with a police officer, I end up being beat up and jailed? Every time! Those cops are just looking for a chance to thump on me". Somehow these incidents always occurred just before he was due to see me.

It took about six months of oblique suggestions and hints to get him to come up with the answer, but he eventually did. "Jeez, coach, do you think it might be that I am looking for a chance to be thumped? I don't think so. Why would anyone be so stupid as to act in a way to give a cop an excuse to thump on him? That's insane!"

Yup, he was right. Most fellows with that kind of history don't ever get the idea. They are different from me; I expend a lot of energy making sure I'm comfortable, and I've heard getting thumped and being in custody are not conducive.

I knew one guy from age thirteen or so and the truth was, he just liked to fight. He was better than average at it, motivation- and tactics-wise, but was constitutionally skinny and even long sessions in CYA and the joint, with the opportunity to get buffed, failed to do anything for his physiognomy. At about age forty he was 85% scar tissue and still enjoyed fighting, but he'd been thumped so many time he couldn't even say his name properly, and you couldn't tell if he was smiling or not, so many nerves had been severed.

I learned he was shot dead by a police officer who (legitimately) wanted to hear who he was, where he was going, all the stuff you expect, and my guy Doyle didn't satisfy him, slurring his words and wiggling his head kind of weird. Doyle reached into his inside coat pocket and the officer got him body-center with two. What they found in Doyle's pocket was his ID and an agency-generated card explaining his disability and offering to come and get him if he needed help.

The cop was not wrong; he knew there had been cop ambushes in the area, and he valued his life. Doyle was not wrong: he didn't know about high tension in the LEO community, and he had been taught to offer his cards when confronted; he just moved too quick, and needed a different place to keep them. It was an accident. Exactly the kind of thing that fulfills the aphorism, "$hit happens".

OK.

I had a client whose theme throughout every office visit was, "Why is it that every time I have contact with a police officer, I end up being beat up and jailed? Every time! Those cops are just looking for a chance to thump on me". Somehow these incidents always occurred just before he was due to see me.

It took about six months of oblique suggestions and hints to get him to come up with the answer, but he eventually did. "Jeez, coach, do you think it might be that I am looking for a chance to be thumped? I don't think so. Why would anyone be so stupid as to act in a way to give a cop an excuse to thump on him? That's insane!"

Yup, he was right. Most fellows with that kind of history don't ever get the idea. They are different from me; I expend a lot of energy making sure I'm comfortable, and I've heard getting thumped and being in custody are not conducive.

I knew one guy from age thirteen or so and the truth was, he just liked to fight. He was better than average at it, motivation- and tactics-wise, but was constitutionally skinny and even long sessions in CYA and the joint, with the opportunity to get buffed, failed to do anything for his physiognomy. At about age forty he was 85% scar tissue and still enjoyed fighting, but he'd been thumped so many time he couldn't even say his name properly, and you couldn't tell if he was smiling or not, so many nerves had been severed.

I learned he was shot dead by a police officer who (legitimately) wanted to hear who he was, where he was going, all the stuff you expect, and my guy Doyle didn't satisfy him, slurring his words and wiggling his head kind of weird. Doyle reached into his inside coat pocket and the officer got him body-center with two. What they found in Doyle's pocket was his ID and an agency-generated card explaining his disability and offering to come and get him if he needed help.

The cop was not wrong; he knew there had been cop ambushes in the area, and he valued his life. Doyle was not wrong: he didn't know about high tension in the LEO community, and he had been taught to offer his cards when confronted; he just moved too quick, and needed a different place to keep them. It was an accident. Exactly the kind of thing that fulfills the aphorism, "$hit happens".

Great story but needed a dictionary for some of those big words !! I didnt make it past my first day of college no parking for my hot rod.

First off.......your Buddy WAS Speeding, you admit that, and that is breaking the Law so the Cop does have a right to be pissed. Second, the second time he ask where are you going he asked "where in Portland" and you Buddy was evasive and would not say, THAT gives the Cop more reason to to keep up with the questions and to ask him to get out of the car to seperate the two of you incase he wanted to ask you the same questions. As far as SLAPPING the Car, I can't picture the Cop actually "Slapping" the Car like a bully. I can only assume that the sound of the Slap was louder then the actual hardness of the Slap. Something tells me that the whole truth has not been said as to everyones attitude and I do know that the attitudes of the People inside the Vehicle that is pulled over contributes a lot to the attitude of the Cop.

I NEVER said I thought he was speeding.

Its none of his business where in Portland we were going, or where we were going period.

I am not a liar.

Hey Excellent post but there's one thing I have to say about college educated cops in NY !! Yes they have great communication skills but when working in a violate and non- educated area those skill always gets the cop lost and hurt. My old partner was college educated and on a job we had he was trying to explain to these 2 unfriendly drug dealers. That he wanted them to turn around so they can be handcuffed and the poor drug dealers were confused. So me being uneducated translated by saying if you dont turn around and but your hands behind your back or we are going to club the $hit out of you guys. One guy turned to me and said why didnt he say that from the beginning.

hysterical.gif I hear ya I am a fan of simple english...lol

OK.

Pretty sad story. Unless the police officer saw a weapon or truely felt his life was in danger shouldn't he have maybe just tazed him? Was it really necessary to murder him?

In my previous posts I was basically trying to give a different point of view.

In the real world whenever I get pulled over which is basically almost NEVER I am shi$$ing my pants and have all the needed information handy and always says "HELLO OFFICER how are you today? "

Truthfully I feel that a cop does not NEED to know where you are going. And who says you have to be truthful with them........

Frank my comment about driving all that way and staying only 6 hours is basically why did you only stay 6 hours? If I drove that far I would want to at least hang out for the entire duration of the vacation. shift.gif Your retired I would think time is on your side.

• 1 month later...

Sap Gloves that is. Asks 6 times where driver was going "specifically" when he is given a City as an answer all 6 times? Then commands driver out of car and waves sap gloved hand within 6 inches of drivers face...and attempts intimidation/reaction and again asks where the driver is going. Lectures, acts tough and is a general jerk losing his temper.

Ok cops and cop lovers on the site what say you guys? I witnesed this behavior, sad and true...

ok first of all this is a merica we the people have a right to pursuit happiness as long as it is lawful and not hurting anybody.seems to me this cop is harassing the worng person maybe if the cop was harrassing the drug dealer who is dealing to kids 10 feet from this person with a nice car he could have a real arrest its cops like this that doesnt deserve a badge or the honor of wearing th uniform.its the real reason thank god in america we have lawyers who sole purpose in life is to go after nazis like this!!!

ok first of all this is a merica we the people have a right to pursuit happiness as long as it is lawful and not hurting anybody.seems to me this cop is harassing the worng person maybe if the cop was harrassing the drug dealer who is dealing to kids 10 feet from this person with a nice car he could have a real arrest its cops like this that doesnt deserve a badge or the honor of wearing th uniform.its the real reason thank god in america we have lawyers who sole purpose in life is to go after nazis like this!!!

Nice grave dig, welcome to the site.

I enjoyed the read. Having had a wife who is a lawyer I find the banter interesting. I would only add - contact the State AG's office and ask what is your duty when pulled over by a PO. Most if not all will give you your rights.

Az for instance, have offered, still may do, classes on this very topic. If all else fails and I invoke this caveat, I disagree with the majority of what they do - your local ACLU has a card that explains your rights when beng pulled over.

I always activate my record button on my cell phone, so that there is no question as to the he said - she said issue...

I enjoyed the read. Having had a wife who is a lawyer I find the banter interesting. I would only add - contact the State AG's office and ask what is your duty when pulled over by a PO. Most if not all will give you your rights.

Az for instance, have offered, still may do, classes on this very topic. If all else fails and I invoke this caveat, I disagree with the majority of what they do - your local ACLU has a card that explains your rights when beng pulled over.

I always activate my record button on my cell phone, so that there is no question as to the he said - she said issue...

Good idea, great post.

Archived