TEAM SHELBY FORUM

write off gas guzzler?

the gas guzzler tax is an excise tax, not a sales tax. Any kind of sales tax rebates would not apply to the gas guzzler tax

Excise taxes (GGT/gas guzzler tax) is tax deductible for 2009.

Car Sales and Excise Tax Deduction: Questions and Answers

Q. What is this new car sales tax deduction?

A. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 provides a deduction for state and local sales and excise taxes paid on the purchase of qualified new vehicles through 2009.

I posted a link, but it's not working for some reason. Go to irs.gov and search for sales and excise tax deductions.

Excise taxes (GGT/gas guzzler tax) is tax deductible for 2009.

Car Sales and Excise Tax Deduction: Questions and Answers

Q. What is this new car sales tax deduction?

A. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 provides a deduction for state and local sales and excise taxes paid on the purchase of qualified new vehicles through 2009.

I posted a link, but it's not working for some reason. Go to irs.gov and search for sales and excise tax deductions.

oh ok. the OP didn't mention it is both sales and excises taxes that are tax deductible for 2009. with excise taxes deductible this year, the gas guzzler tax is eligible. thanks for posting that info cbr1000 as i was not aware of these ARRA tax deductions

hello lower taxable income :happy feet:

Kramer: "It's a write-off for them."

Seinfeld: "How is it a write-off?"

Kramer: "They just write it off."

Seinfeld: "Write it off what?"

Kramer: "Jerry, all these big companies -- they write-off everything."

Seinfeld: "You don't even know what a write-off is."

Kramer: "Do you?"

Seinfeld: "No, I don't."

Kramer: "But they do, and they're the ones writing it off."

Hate to spoil your return but, you cannot claim the "Gas Guzzler Tax" unless you use your vehicle for business. However, you can always ask a tax preparer to confirm.

Ref: IRS Pub 17, pg 153

Sorry, sorry, sorry.......

I'm not a tax guru...you may be right, any accountants here?

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch22.html <----- try this link. Pub 17 bottom half of the page speaks about the "sales or excise" tax deduction. I'm pretty sure you can deduct ggt for 2009 only, but not 100% sure.

• 1 month later...

I'm not a tax guru...you may be right, any accountants here?

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch22.html <----- try this link. Pub 17 bottom half of the page speaks about the "sales or excise" tax deduction. I'm pretty sure you can deduct ggt for 2009 only, but not 100% sure.

I did a little more checking on this issue and concluded the GGT is a federal excise tax, not a state or local one, thus cannot be deducted. Bummer!

Oh goody - I'll only owe $99,700 in Federal taxes for this year.

I wish I had that problem. I'm sitting here collecting $405 a week in unemployment until I find a new job. Laid off twice in 2009 from two different companies. This economy stinks and there is no stability out there other than (gulp) government jobs.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I had that problem. I'm sitting here collecting $405 a week in unemployment until I find a new job. Laid off twice in 2009 from two different companies. This economy stinks and there is no stability out there other then (gulp) government jobs.

Sounds like it's time for you to start racing for pink slips!

(sorry to hear about your job, keep your chin up it'll change)

Sounds like it's time for you to start racing for pink slips!

(sorry to hear about your job, keep your chin up it'll change)

Thanks! I'm finally starting to hear back from some companies. Hopefully I'll land something soon.

3100 dollers in sales tax for my car. only getting 500 of it back . ouch . any one else?

I'm not surprised. I'm expecting the same when I do my taxes. Just another government gimmick but it's something.

Gas Guzzler is gone on the 2011 anyway so don't worry about tax deduction. :happy feet: :happy feet:

We don't know for sure yet. There are no official EPA numbers and still a space for GG tax on the 2011 window sticker....

We don't know for sure yet. There are no official EPA numbers and still a space for GG tax on the 2011 window sticker....

I got my "VEHICLE ORDER CONFIRMATION" printout today with pricing and there is no GG on it. Thats all I based my comment on. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I got my "VEHICLE ORDER CONFIRMATION" printout today with pricing and there is no GG on it. Thats all I based my comment on. :-)

I don't think it does show up on the order sheet. It will appear on the invoice copy and of course the window sticker.

By the way, I have always deducted gas guzzler taxes under "other taxes paid".

I don't think it does show up on the order sheet. It will appear on the invoice copy and of course the window sticker.

I deducted it as well under sales or excise taxes of new vehicle. It's an excise tax. It got deducted. Hopefully uncle sam won't be knocking on my door.

edit: btw, welcome. I just noticed your location. I'm in Lee's Summit.

The Gas Guzzler tax is GONE on the 2011 GT 500!!! Confirmed by Ford :happy feet: :happy feet:

Archived