TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Nissan GTR v Super Snake

All wheel drive it's hard to beat. As far as looks though I think the Super Snake Wins. The GTR just doesn't have any style in my opinion.

There has to be something done w/the SS traction issue. I would love to see our cars in comparo test with a different set of wheels and tires on it and even a full Griggs set up. The outcomes would be very different. Now I hope our cars don't get picked for comparo test because it is sooooo embarrassing. You have to put up with well read coworkers and people in general telling you how your car is nice but really not that quick as compared to other cars. It sucks!!!!!

Something has to be done about TRACTION!

btw. The GT-R looks alot better in person than it does in print. It is a really nice car.

But I still would take my SS. I love it, even with all it's traction flaws.

BJ

All wheel drive it's hard to beat. As far as looks though I think the Super Snake Wins. The GTR just doesn't have any style in my opinion.

I would take a Super Snake on looks alone. If you were at a show or cruise in and had a SS and GTR side by side I bet you would get more lookers checking out the Snake.

There has to be something done w/the SS traction issue. I would love to see our cars in comparo test with a different set of wheels and tires on it and even a full Griggs set up. The outcomes would be very different. Now I hope our cars don't get picked for comparo test because it is sooooo embarrassing. You have to put up with well read coworkers and people in general telling you how your car is nice but really not that quick as compared to other cars. It sucks!!!!!

btw. The GT-R looks alot better in person than it does in print. It is a really nice car.

BJ

Hey BJ,

Ive taken on a GTR on a Hill Climb and easily beat him. I have the full Griggs GR40 ST suspension as well on my Snake, plus i had my race wheels on as well.

I havent tried to met a GTR on a track yet, and most of it will come down to the driver between my car and a GTR i would believe now.

I have two neighbours within a couple of hundred yards who have GTR's and my car definitely wins every day with the looks. I go zero to WOW in 1 second, standing still hahaha.

Dont get me wrong, i do think the GTR is a wonderful car, so are GT3's etc, but nothing comes close to the magnificent looks of a beautiful S H E L B Y !!!

There has to be something done w/the SS traction issue. I would love to see our cars in comparo test with a different set of wheels and tires. You have to put up with well read coworkers and people in general telling you how your car is nice but really not that quick as compared to other cars. It sucks!!!!!

I love it, even with all it's traction flaws.

BJ

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I cut out the "Griggs" after the "different set of wheels and tires" quote is because.......sure, the Super Snake could have a complete make-over in every area, slim down in weight, and beat most everything, but that is very far above the Super Snake 725/750 that Shelby offers for $34K. Now the wheels and tires "could" be different and part of the original build and still fit into the $34K or so.

I first saw a link to this Motor Trend comparison on the SVTPerformance.com forum a couple of days ago, and the replies overwelmingly talk about how the GT-R put a whooping on the Super Snake. There were others who were comparing their stock 2010 GT500's (on slicks) with mid to lower 11 second runs to what we see here in this video. My question on this forum was...........is the AWD GT-R capable of 10's with a tire change? (and we see what the 2010 GT500 does on slicks). I also mentioned that my personal opinion is that this GT-R is showing all that it has in this test, and the Super Snake is doing what it can with what it has for rear rubber. I also mentioned that I would like to see a Super Snake tested with Slicks, not treaded M/T Street E.T.'s but real Slicks!! I also mentioned the fact that the Super Snake weighs 4000lbs.+ and is able to run high 10's with a 3800rpm launch, is the GT-R even close to this performance, I would say not. Now, with a simple swap to slicks could the 4000lb. Super Snake launch at a "more real" higher RPM (as I am sure this GT-R and the 2010 GT500 can/did)?, sure, could it get into the lower 10's and closer to 140 mph, very possible. This GT-R is not even in the same ballpark.

In closing, my final comments were............I would much rather have a car that will quickly and easily overwelm the rear tires with it's over abundance of power and needs a "rear tire change only" (which is relatively inexpensive), rather than a car that has all of the tire needed and traction of AWD and needs a lot more power to realistically compete at a 725/750 horsepower/4000lb. car level.

I would guess that the GT-R w/AWD is no light weight either.......I'm sure the GT-R is strong in "its world", but its world is not a 725/750 horse world.

R

BJ

Just call James at Weldcraft! Then you need to keep your rear view mirror clean becasue thats were most cars will appear from that point on!!

post-24857-126054575861_thumb.jpg

post-24857-126054580408_thumb.jpg

post-24857-126054575861_thumb.jpg

post-24857-126054580408_thumb.jpg

The reason I cut out the "Griggs" after the "different set of wheels and tires" quote is because.......sure, the Super Snake could have a complete make-over in every area, slim down in weight, and beat most everything, but that is very far above the Super Snake 725/750 that Shelby offers for $34K. Now the wheels and tires "could" be different and part of the original build and still fit into the $34K or so.

I first saw a link to this Motor Trend comparison on the SVTPerformance.com forum a couple of days ago, and the replies overwelmingly talk about how the GT-R put a whooping on the Super Snake. There were others who were comparing their stock 2010 GT500's (on slicks) with mid to lower 11 second runs to what we see here in this video. My question on this forum was...........is the AWD GT-R capable of 10's with a tire change? (and we see what the 2010 GT500 does on slicks). I also mentioned that my personal opinion is that this GT-R is showing all that it has in this test, and the Super Snake is doing what it can with what it has for rear rubber. I also mentioned that I would like to see a Super Snake tested with Slicks, not treaded M/T Street E.T.'s but real Slicks!! I also mentioned the fact that the Super Snake weighs 4000lbs.+ and is able to run high 10's with a 3800rpm launch, is the GT-R even close to this performance, I would say not. Now, with a simple swap to slicks could the 4000lb. Super Snake launch at a "more real" higher RPM (as I am sure this GT-R and the 2010 GT500 can/did)?, sure, could it get into the lower 10's and closer to 140 mph, very possible. This GT-R is not even in the same ballpark.

In closing, my final comments were............I would much rather have a car that will quickly and easily overwelm the rear tires with it's over abundance of power and needs a "rear tire change only" (which is relatively inexpensive), rather than a car that has all of the tire needed and traction of AWD and needs a lot more power to realistically compete at a 725/750 horsepower/4000lb. car level.

I would guess that the GT-R w/AWD is no light weight either.......I'm sure the GT-R is strong in "its world", but its world is not a 725/750 horse world.

R

Very well said!

I would hate for anyone to think that just because it it a Japanese product, that constitutes a bullet proof vehicle. Not so, breath of deceased yak. I had a Nissan....once.....and that's all it took. Take a look at some of the ratings and reviews of Nissan products. They ain't got nothing on American.

It would be a cold day in ---- before I ever bought another Nissan, let alone shelling out 80k for one.

R

Actually, the GT-R was hardly "showing all that it has" in that test, as this is a car built for the track, not the dragstrip! However, it certainly does perform well at the quarter-mile. This summer, I put down GT500's with upgraded blowers left and right, with my totally stock GT-R. They have all the power in the world, but can't harness the power. Invest less than 2 grand in a GT-R for a midpipe and Cobb Access Port with custom tune, and run 10's all day long, with your mother driving the car. Put the GT-R against the SuperSnake on the road course, and you will REALLY experience disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I love my 750-800 rwhp GT500 'vert, but you have to give credit where credit is due. My super silver GT-R is my daily driver/work car, and I had one of the very first ones out there. I haven't had a problem with it yet, and I beat the crap out of the car. My uncle was just here for a visit; I took him out in the car and took it up to 175 mph, without breaking a sweat. Could've gone faster, but was running out of road. Car was ROCK SOLID. Felt safer than my Shelby feels at 120. As far as style, I agree with you all- I prefer the Shelby, but there are lots of people who walk right by my Shelby and gawk at the GT-R, when I have them both out. To each their own...

I am seriously thinking about buying a new '10 GT-R, and sending it right to Switzer performance, for their upgraded turbos/tranny package, and will have a 9-second daily driver. :superhero:

Addendum: Regarding Shelby GT500 owners criticizing Nissan for tranny problems- talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

Actually, the GT-R was hardly "showing all that it has" in that test, as this is a car built for the track, not the dragstrip! However, it certainly does perform well at the quarter-mile. This summer, I put down GT500's with upgraded blowers left and right, with my totally stock GT-R. They have all the power in the world, but can't harness the power. Invest less than 2 grand in a GT-R for a midpipe and Cobb Access Port with custom tune, and run 10's all day long, with your mother driving the car. Put the GT-R against the SuperSnake on the road course, and you will REALLY experience disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I love my 750-800 rwhp GT500 'vert, but you have to give credit where credit is due. My super silver GT-R is my daily driver/work car, and I had one of the very first ones out there. I haven't had a problem with it yet, and I beat the crap out of the car. My uncle was just here for a visit; I took him out in the car and took it up to 175 mph, without breaking a sweat. Could've gone faster, but was running out of road. Car was ROCK SOLID. Felt safer than my Shelby feels at 120. As far as style, I agree with you all- I prefer the Shelby, but there are lots of people who walk right by my Shelby and gawk at the GT-R, when I have them both out. To each their own...

I am seriously thinking about buying a new '10 GT-R, and sending it right to Switzer performance, for their upgraded turbos/tranny package, and will have a 9-second daily driver. :superhero:

Addendum: Regarding Shelby GT500 owners criticizing Nissan for tranny problems- talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

I would guess that either of these cars would not wear the rubber that they were tested on, if they were to be used in real competition, drag racing or road course. My observation was from a power to weight ratio with usable traction. Both cars are close in wieght 3800-3900, one car has 400h.p., the other 725/750. If there is not a substantial difference on the drag strip and road course (the GT-R playing catch-up between turns), then there is something waaaayyy wrong, and the 325/350 additional Super Snake horse power means nothing. If this is the case, why is anyone on this forum modding their car(s) for more power when it really means very little in performance?

I have nothing against the Japanese cars, but I believe that "some" magazines have a "hard on" for American Muscle, and currently it seems that Motor Trend has put the 725/750 Super Snake in their sights, with no mention of "real" capabilities already achieved by others in the automotive world and documented in print, but instead, useless tests as have been presented in this video.

I like ALL performance cars, American and Imports, they all have offered some interesting/strong rides, but when a test of this sort is presented, it seems to be lacking facts. I didn't even see much hard acceleration out of this 750 Super Snake, it just seemed like they had an agenda, and they presented the videos outcome accordingly, and now the owners of the Super Snakes have to come back and clean up the mess with actual documented/printed facts, the facts that they failed to mention, with a little more rear tire, which would be a given if this car was drag raced in the real world.

R

I would guess that either of these cars would not wear the rubber that they were tested on, if they were to be used in real competition, drag racing or road course. My observation was from a power to weight ratio with usable traction. Both cars are close in wieght 3800-3900, one car has 400h.p., the other 725/750. If there is not a substantial difference on the drag strip and road course (the GT-R playing catch-up between turns), then there is something waaaayyy wrong, and the 325/350 additional Super Snake horse power means nothing. If this is the case, why is anyone on this forum modding their car(s) for more power when it really means very little in performance?

I have nothing against the Japanese cars, but I believe that "some" magazines have a "hard on" for American Muscle, and currently it seems that Motor Trend has put the 725/750 Super Snake in their sights, with no mention of "real" capabilities already achieved by others in the automotive world and documented in print, but instead, useless tests as have been presented in this video.

I like ALL performance cars, American and Imports, they all have offered some interesting/strong rides, but when a test of this sort is presented, it seems to be lacking facts. I didn't even see much hard acceleration out of this 750 Super Snake, it just seemed like they had an agenda, and they presented the videos outcome accordingly, and now the owners of the Super Snakes have to come back and clean up the mess with actual documented/printed facts, the facts that they failed to mention, with a little more rear tire, which would be a given if this car was drag raced in the real world.

R

I agree on the "agenda" comment- journalists just love the story they want to tell, and lose their objectivity... It never looks like they can drive the cars worth a crap, either!

The point I was making is that the GT-R (which is 480 hp, btw) is able to extract and apply every single horsepower it is making, and the SuperSnake, even with better tires, will never be able to utilize all the prodigious power. I put thousands into my GT500 'vert; it has much more power than a SuperSnake (which is why I just did it my way, rather than settle for the 605 hp SS convertible), yet it is really very little faster at the dragstrip than it was when I just had a pulley/tune on the car. It is fun to have ridiculous horsepower, even if most of the extra isn't usable... and it is still my favorite one to take for a spin.

Hey BJ,

Ive taken on a GTR on a Hill Climb and easily beat him. I have the full Griggs GR40 ST suspension as well on my Snake, plus i had my race wheels on as well.

I havent tried to met a GTR on a track yet, and most of it will come down to the driver between my car and a GTR i would believe now.

I have two neighbours within a couple of hundred yards who have GTR's and my car definitely wins every day with the looks. I go zero to WOW in 1 second, standing still hahaha.

Dont get me wrong, i do think the GTR is a wonderful car, so are GT3's etc, but nothing comes close to the magnificent looks of a beautiful S H E L B Y !!!

I agree. I had a 911 a few years back and it did not draw the attention the SS does everytime I take it out. Thumbs up while driving, lots of Q's at gas stations/stop lights. It is really an attention grabber.

BJ

Just call James at Weldcraft! Then you need to keep your rear view mirror clean becasue thats were most cars will appear from that point on!!

Lee, I'm going to do that. I have really been waffling over the shortened rear axle or the Weeldcraft solution. I even wanted to start a thread asking for advice/opinions. My big Q is do you hurt the value of the SS by modifying the SS wheels. If SAI would sell me a couple of wheels, it would be a no brainer. With the axle you can keep the original axle's and return it to "original" if and when you want to. I am also concerned about suspension geometry and any other unforseen issues with the shortened axles. It just seems to me that there may be some unintended consequences with that mod. The wheel widening is pretty straight forward, but once the wheels are done, there is no turning back. I have already purchased the tires, I just gotta get on with making a mod so the tires will fit.

Thanks for the push.

BJ

This was just a nonsense, fake drag race, but it made for a cute little movie.

My grandmother launches harder leaving the senior center after bingo.

hysterical2.gifhysterical2.gif

But seriously, it's really a shame that the SS doesn't come with the proper wheels/tires. They really are the achillies heel of the car. A high performance car should have the wheels and tires that match the capabilities of it.

Lee, I'm going to do that. I have really been waffling over the shortened rear axle or the Weeldcraft solution. I even wanted to start a thread asking for advice/opinions. My big Q is do you hurt the value of the SS by modifying the SS wheels. If SAI would sell me a couple of wheels, it would be a no brainer. With the axle you can keep the original axle's and return it to "original" if and when you want to. I am also concerned about suspension geometry and any other unforseen issues with the shortened axles. It just seems to me that there may be some unintended consequences with that mod. The wheel widening is pretty straight forward, but once the wheels are done, there is no turning back. I have already purchased the tires, I just gotta get on with making a mod so the tires will fit.

Thanks for the push.

BJ

I do not think it will make a difference in value. 20 years down the road "IF" the car actually appreciates and the value is hurt just take the 2 inches back out. My opinion is enjoy the car. I can tell you I enjoy mine much more now. I have not noticed any handling issues. You can feel the unevenness of the road now since there is so much meant in the rear, but I really like it. I do not road race the car, but I will hit corners hard on the street. All good. Shelby should have made them this way!

If you are really worried about it you can buy the 20" Alcoas and widen them. Granted it does not say Super Snake on it, but you will still have your SS wheels.

I do not think it will make a difference in value. 20 years down the road "IF" the car actually appreciates and the value is hurt just take the 2 inches back out. My opinion is enjoy the car. I can tell you I enjoy mine much more now. I have not noticed any handling issues. You can feel the unevenness of the road now since there is so much meat in the rear, but I really like it. I do not road race the car, but I will hit corners hard on the street. All good. Shelby should have made them this way!

If you are really worried about it you can buy the 20" Alcoas and widen them. Granted it does not say Super Snake on it, but you will still have your SS wheels.

I do not think it will make a difference in value. 20 years down the road "IF" the car actually appreciates and the value is hurt just take the 2 inches back out. My opinion is enjoy the car. I can tell you I enjoy mine much more now. I have not noticed any handling issues. You can feel the unevenness of the road now since there is so much meant in the rear, but I really like it. I do not road race the car, but I will hit corners hard on the street. All good. Shelby should have made them this way!

This is what I have thought about doing to mine. Get the aftermarket wheels widened and keep the SS wheels tucked away. How wide are those tires and wheels Lee?

Don

I agree on the "agenda" comment- journalists just love the story they want to tell, and lose their objectivity... It never looks like they can drive the cars worth a crap, either!

The point I was making is that the GT-R (which is 480 hp, btw) is able to extract and apply every single horsepower it is making, and the SuperSnake, even with better tires, will never be able to utilize all the prodigious power. I put thousands into my GT500 'vert; it has much more power than a SuperSnake (which is why I just did it my way, rather than settle for the 605 hp SS convertible), yet it is really very little faster at the dragstrip than it was when I just had a pulley/tune on the car. It is fun to have ridiculous horsepower, even if most of the extra isn't usable... and it is still my favorite one to take for a spin.

Ok, I can agree with that, and if it is 480h.p., than its power to weight should be close to a stock assembly line GT500 Coupe. Yes, AWD grips at all four corners, and RWD is pushing the whole load. At 480h.p. and AWD, it should be a fun car.

R

There were two brand new bone stock GT-R's on the track at Laguna Seca yesterday . They can really go. 485 hp. Not bad for a V-6.

Yeah, they bumped the hp ratings from 480 to 485 for the 2010 model year. They are great track cars- faster than the Porsche 911 GT2, GT3, Corvette Z06, Lambos (gallarda superleggera and murcielago, Ferraris (f430 scuderia), Ford GT, etc. and tied with the Corvette ZR1 at Nurburgring! And all that performance at a fraction of the cost of the others. Best thing is- if I have a problem, I can just drop it off at my local Nissan dealer (dealer has to be GT-R certified)...

Archived