TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford "Interceptor" Concept

MustangFanatic

Found this article on MustangNews.com detailing the new Ford Interceptor Concept. The interesting quote from the article was:

"As a nod to performance purists, the ultimate muscle lies under the powered clamshell “shaker” hood, which caps a thoroughly detailed engine compartment that houses a 5.0-liter V-8 Cammer engine.

This is an upgraded variant of the 4.6-liter engine under the hood of the current production Mustang GT. The Cammer modular engine powered Ford Racing’s FR500C race car to the top of the Grand Am Cup’s GS class, achieving five victories on its way to the Drivers, Manufacturers and Team Championships in its first season of competition.

The Interceptor concept’s Cammer engine is mated to a manual six-speed transmission. The car, equipped with 22-inch wheels, also features a solid rear axle for more hard-core performance feel. We are reading through the tea leaves that this now legendary 5.0 Cammer engine must surely be headed for a production vehicle soon as it now has a pedigree. Can you say “BOSS 302” ?"

Let's hope their "tea leaves" are correct!! :happy feet:

http://www.themustangnews.com/carnews/st-1206-intercept.htm

Found this article on MustangNews.com detailing the new Ford Interceptor Concept. The interesting quote from the article was:

"As a nod to performance purists, the ultimate muscle lies under the powered clamshell “shaker” hood, which caps a thoroughly detailed engine compartment that houses a 5.0-liter V-8 Cammer engine.

This is an upgraded variant of the 4.6-liter engine under the hood of the current production Mustang GT. The Cammer modular engine powered Ford Racing’s FR500C race car to the top of the Grand Am Cup’s GS class, achieving five victories on its way to the Drivers, Manufacturers and Team Championships in its first season of competition.

The Interceptor concept’s Cammer engine is mated to a manual six-speed transmission. The car, equipped with 22-inch wheels, also features a solid rear axle for more hard-core performance feel. We are reading through the tea leaves that this now legendary 5.0 Cammer engine must surely be headed for a production vehicle soon as it now has a pedigree. Can you say “BOSS 302” ?"

Let's hope their "tea leaves" are correct!! :happy feet:

http://www.themustangnews.com/carnews/st-1206-intercept.htm

Steve! Do we think alike or what!!!

See this thread (link below) for a post I put up earlier today on this -- I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw much more than friggin' "squircles" in this concept announcement!

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...opid=82539&

WooHoo!!! I'm so glad we picked up on that completely independently -- reconfirms to me that there;s much more here than meets the eye on a new-years-eve media release. Great minds clearly do think alike ;-)

Dan

( oh how I wish e-mail notofications were working -- I'm going crazy truing to keep in touch with 20 diff threads that I can't even find. I might have to just get a new SU ID if it doesn't get fixed soon. I also missed a bunch of Boss-thread posts of yours and Chrispy's over the past week until today <sigh> )

Steve! Do we think alike or what!!!

See this thread (link below) for a post I put up earlier today on this -- I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw much more than friggin' "squircles" in this concept announcement!

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...opid=82539&

WooHoo!!! I'm so glad we picked up on that completely independently -- reconfirms to me that there;s much more here than meets the eye on a new-years-eve media release. Great minds clearly do think alike ;-)

Dan

( oh how I wish e-mail notofications were working -- I'm going crazy truing to keep in touch with 20 diff threads that I can't even find. I might have to just get a new SU ID if it doesn't get fixed soon. I also missed a bunch of Boss-thread posts of yours and Chrispy's over the past week until today <sigh> )

Dan,

Thanks!! Great minds indeed!! Of course given where my mind has been lately, you could be in trouble but that's for another discussion!! :hysterical2:

So, I'm thinking the Boss picture may slowly be getting clearer - if you can indulge me for a moment. What if Ford produces TWO Boss Mustangs in '09 (just like back in '69 - '70). A Boss 302 for the road race set using the 400 horse 5.0L Cammer engine shown in the Interceptor along with a GT500 replacement Boss 429 running a 7.0L Boss (aka Hurricane) engine pushing out north of 500 ponies. Certainly it would be the perfect marketing one-two punch to counteract the introduction of the competing models from the GM and DC camps and soildify Ford's dominance in the category. With the introduction of the 3.5L V6 in the base Mustang, Ford would cover all options from the competition in any category - be it base model, V8 GT, road racer Boss 302 or max effort Boss 429. There is NO way GM and DC could compete with their first year models either in terms of pricing or performance. Now that would be a BOLD MOVE indeed.

How about I add 2 more models, a mach1 with the 5.8/351cu and a Bullit with the terminator that niche motor that was talked about couple months ago. And in the mean time, what do u think shelby, roush, saleen, and all the others will be up to? Can yeah say bye bye competition, camaro/challenger are gonna have fun keeping up with the stang...

How about I add 2 more models, a mach1 with the 5.8/351cu and a Bullit with the terminator that niche motor that was talked about couple months ago. And in the mean time, what do u think shelby, roush, saleen, and all the others will be up to? Can yeah say bye bye competition, camaro/challenger are gonna have fun keeping up with the stang...

A definite on the Mach I, thanks for correcting me. The Mach I should be set up for the street/strip crowd, solid rear axle and a Drag Pak option. Question is, will Ford be Bold enough to do it?

Hi Steve!

Yeah, I think Ford might just have the pieces to do a mod 5.0 Boss (still rumored for '08 in some circles!!!-- dunno) followed by an '09 5.8 H/Boss and a 6.8/7.0 H/Boss. Don't know if Ford would do all three -- but wo knows?! I tink they'll get aggressive in '09 for the kicked-up Camaro.

I'm thinking the Mach might be a Termie-like Cobra but on the 3V 4.6. I say that because FRP is working on pushing the 4.6 3V beyond the Whipple-pack in testing (heard that at SEMA). So maybe a 4.6 with a stouter bottom end and the FRP-pack might make a nice Mach at 450HP if done before the H/Boss is ready for hi-po. Otherwise, the only pre-H/Boss big-HP alternative for the Mach is the GT500 motor which I don't think Ford will devalue by doing a Mach with it while the GT500 is still fresh.

The take on the Interceptor on some other boards is that the 5.0 is a ha-ha teaser, but I'm not so sure. That's not Ford's style. I think they either are planning to do a 5.0 NA mod (spray-bore or stroker) or are at least covering their bases -- either way I'd like to know what intake is in there ;-) It can't be the big GrandAm magnesium plenum (can't hide that big puppy under that pretty engine cover), so it's gotta be someting else.... someting that makes 400HP on stinking E85 at 70-something % of hi-test! Has my attention! ;)

Others seem to feel the 5.0 GrandAm motor was used because it's there, with no plan to use that base since the hi-volume 3.5 twin-turbo V6 from the MKR is much more likely to usurp V8 turf in an Interceptor. I don't see that being the case at all. The interceptor, to my mind, is recognition of the old family 4-door muscle car -- they even say as much in the promo. A V6 just won't play to that crowd, regardless of HP...gotta have that V8 sound to be an Interceptor <sheesh!! lol> Maybe it's just a styling test uising a stretched Mustang chassis to test the waters and show the 'greens' Ford is thinking E85 -- I think it's a winner!

I'm starting to think that the Interceptor and MKR are what were to occupy the 'dead' space at SEMA though ;-) Why they might have been pulled (if they were) is beyond me -- maybe Ford felt NAIAS is the right intro for them and maybe it really was the Boss (the real one) and Bullitt that were pulled so as to not overshadow the Shelby GT and 40th '500 annoucement -- that makes sense. And maybe Ford pulled their massive crate-motor display of past SEMA to not overshadow the new Boss crate intro.

Well, that's kinda where I've been thinking over the past week or so. Who knows what Ford is up to, but I like both the Interceptor and the MKR -- bold moves both ..if they ever make 'em before someone else does <sigh> I saw an article recently on Ford and Volvo planning to have a dual-clutch Direct Shift Gearbox tranny in the next two years! That would make a statement that Ford will not lay back. Besides those trannys are super efficient like a manual and are easier to service than a conventional automaticand. A DSG twin-clutch tranny would sell to both the Interceptor and MKR crowds, I think -- faster shifts than a stick or automatic with the benefits of both -- and better milage too!

-Dan

Dan,

I really hope that by displaying an E85 5.0L Cammer in a 4 door Sedan that Ford is seriously considering the engine for production. Based on what we know about the upcoming Boss (aka Hurricane) engine family, I don't anticipate it being offered in a displacement smaller than 5.8L. Having said that, it stands to reason that the only way Ford can offer a Boss 302 Mustang is to use the current mod engine as a basis (either in Cammer form or by stroking a 4.6L). Obviously, being the HP and tech fiend that I am, I'd vote hands down for the Cammer.

I also don't believe the Interceptor (if produced) would NOT offer a V8 option. The base engine would certainly be the 3.5L V6 in NA form but Ford isn't going to let DC own the rear wheel drive V8 4 door sedan segment. They seen the success of the Magnum and Charger and I fail to believe they would introduce a sedan whose intent and style are aimed squarely at the those two models without offering a V8 option. Whether that is the new Boss engine series or the mod motor remains to be seen.

I agree with your assessment of SEMA. Ford is treading lightly with Shelby and doesn't want to do anything to damage relations between the two firms. Now that SA is a fully engaged partner with Ford, I think Ford has no intention of allowing that growing relationship to sour.

Interesting find on the Direct-Shift transmission (where do you find this stuff?? :) Certainly would be an interesting development - I would love to see such a transmission in a production Interceptor. Such a trans mated to a stout V8 would be a receipe for a new 4 door sedan at the house of Steve!! :hysterical:

Excellent thoughts and insight as always, thanks Dan!!

- Steve

Archived