TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby American Collection Annual Party 12/05/2009

twobjshelbys

The annual gathering was last night. Carroll was unexpectedly taken ill so was not able to attend. The other guests were (from the invite list)

Bob Bondurant

Jack Sears (I don't think he was there)

Phil Remington

Allen Grant

Lew Spencer

Chuck Cantwell

Tom Yeager

Not on the list but also present:

Dan Gerber (Yes, he is a Gerber Baby Foods family member)

Walt Hane (he and his son run a speed shop in Evergreen, but he raced GT350s for CS).

Turnout last night was lighter than the year before.

The evening always starts with great food and an open bar. Tonight there were two pigs, plus lots of other good food:

DSC_5979.jpg

The interior of the museum had been rearranged since the last time I was there. The new "centerpiece" is CSX2138. This is a 289 roadster fitted with an aluminum hard top. Note how the trunk lid is short for the top to fit. Bill Murray (of Murray Racing) told me there were eight bodies built that could have been made, only three of these actually received the hard top. This one was raced by Bill in vintage racing and there were plenty of pictures in the background. The car is part of Larry H Miller's collection. The evening was dedicated to Larry and several family members were present. I have more pictures of this car later - when the crowd dwindled the ropes were dropped.

DSC_5982.jpg

DSC_5988.jpg

Wandering around, some more photos. First up is a Lola. They "lit it up" later in the evening.

DSC_5991.jpg

GT40. This is Steve Volks car that I've posted pictures of before but it is the first time I've seen it "opened up".

DSC_5993.jpg

DSC_5994.jpg

DSC_5995.jpg

Three Cobras, including "Ken Miles Car" #98. (More about it later).

DSC_6000.jpg

Signing my A.J. Baime book

DSC_6029.jpg

After the autograph session the guests all told stores of working and driving for Carroll. Bob Bondurant is most vocal - he seems to still enjoy his role. THe others were pretty quite. I chatted with all of them during the evening. You don't get to hang out with guys like this very often.

DSC_6032.jpg

DSC_6041.jpg

DSC_6046.jpg

DSC_6047.jpg

DSC_6049.jpg

DSC_6050.jpg

DSC_6052.jpg

DSC_6055.jpg

DSC_6056.jpg

More speakers on the diaz.

DSC_6058.jpg

DSC_6064.jpg

DSC_6066.jpg

DSC_6068.jpg

DSC_6069.jpg

After the speakers were done telling their stores Carroll was linked in to us by a combination of cell phones and PA system. He seemed pretty chipper but disappointed he couldn't make it.

DSC_6070.jpg

DSC_6071.jpg

DSC_6072.jpg

One of the highlights of the gathering is a silent auction of memorabilia and a live auction of some things. This year it was for a night in the museum, a 2 day driving class at Miller Motor Sports and...

Believe it or not, the left front wheel and tire from Ken Miles Car. Really! Here is Bill Murray taking it off.

DSC_6076.jpg

DSC_6077.jpg

Bob Bondurant signed the wheel. I think Phil Remington signed it too. The wheel sold to a member of the Miller family for (I think) $2500. I thought about bidding but I don't know what I would have done with a wheel. Maybe if we were patient they will eventually auction off the entire Ken Miles car - it would be like the Johnny Cash song. :)

DSC_6084.jpg

After all the auctioning was done there were opportunities for photos by CSX2138

DSC_6093.jpg

DSC_6100.jpg

DSC_6102.jpg

DSC_6104.jpg

DSC_6106.jpg

DSC_6109.jpg

Bill raised the hood so I could get some engine shots.

DSC_6111.jpg

Leaf spring front suspensions.

DSC_6119.jpg

This was on the silent auction board for the wheel auction. It was during this time that they tried to start up the Miles car. It was on the front jack so tilted backwards. Bill came over, put a replacement wheel on, dropped it, futzed with the throttle and carbs and had it running in about 15 seconds. The sound of was sweet. One of the 427s also got a brief ear-ringing run, along with the Lola.

DSC_6122.jpg

Larry H Miller's Daytona Coupe is still there although not the centerpiece at this time. I'm told it will be going back to Salt Lake. Despinte fears, Greg Miller told me that the rotating stock relationship between the Miller collection and the Shelby American Collection will continue. This was most welcome news.

DSC_6132.jpg

DSC_6134.jpg

Anyone know what this forumla is?

DSC_6138.jpg

The Ferrari that Shelby drove in 1957.

DSC_6139.jpg

This is the postscript. I bought the poster that was the freebie, but I was taking pictures and stuff so I just decided to buy one of the pre-signed posters.

DSC_6140.jpg

When I brought the books up to Allen Grant I presented the CSX2601 book first. He started flipping throuigh it and said "this is me", "this is me" for about 10 pictures. I selected one with him and Bondurant and asked him to sign that and the frontispiece as well.

DSC_6141.jpg

This is the CSX2601 frontispiece.

DSC_6142.jpg

AJ's "Go Like Hell" frontispiece:

DSC_6143.jpg

Archived