TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Z-Max Oil & Fuel Additive

ACCLERCR

Guys, product seems great. My car only has 2,000 miles on her.

Are you using it?

When should you put it in? Certain mileage level?

For gas, full tank, half tank, etc?

For oil, at oil change, as new oil is going in?

Thanks for your input!

Lastly, for OIL changes, I've been using Castrol GTX full-synthetic, but what is the best aftermarket oil filter without getting the FR filter?

I wouldn't put that stuff in my engine, probably would void the warranty anyway...I'm sure FMCO would not approve.

Word to the wise ...don't believe everything you hear or read in an advertizement....:doh:

Well when I bought the SGT my Ford dealer gave me my owner documents that contained a brochures on Z-Max. The brochure also contained Mr. Shelby's picture and endorsement all over the place.

http://www.zmax.com/why_use_zmax_/testimonials/

Snake oil, pardon the pun. There was an extensive discussion on this awhile back, with some good links to independant testing - not what it's cracked up to be. Try a search, it may still be around.

Thanks all for the input...I don't "buy" everything I see on tv or the likes. I just wanted to know if anyone is using any product like this that just gives that little extra touch...

What about the oil filter choices? I'm putting Castrol GTX oil in so far (last 2 oil changes)...

Thanks all for the input...I don't "buy" everything I see on tv or the likes. I just wanted to know if anyone is using any product like this that just gives that little extra touch...

What about the oil filter choices? I'm putting Castrol GTX oil in so far (last 2 oil changes)...

I would not recommend Castrol GTX oil. GTX is a conventional motor oil, plus it's not offered in 5W50. I would use Castrol Syntec 5W50 instead; it should be fine for the GT500 as it meets the Ford WSS-M2C931-B spec.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_inter..._syntec_usa.pdf

I have used the Motorcraft FL-820S oil filter, but plan to switch to the Ford Racing filter on my next oil change.

This is rather old, but interesting.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.shtm

Especially this part:

"In those tests, motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion as motor oil alone."

The good news is I DID NOT use zmax in any of my cars-the bad is I bought it at Costco well after the March 2003 date listed in the settlement with the FTC. So that means you can be sued and continue doing business well after the suit? I tossed it out after it sat in the garage a few years but I bet it was at least 2005 when I bought it. I am going to check around and see if I can still find it for sale and if so poke my finger in a few eyes if I do..........

I am going to check around and see if I can still find it for sale and if so poke my finger in a few eyes if I do..........

I saw it yesterday in an Auto Zone (SoCal)...I took a look at the box and they are still making those claims....yep, still being sold

Snake oil, pardon the pun. There was an extensive discussion on this awhile back, with some good links to independant testing - not what it's cracked up to be. Try a search, it may still be around.

Accoriding to the FTC complaint, it's tinted mineral oil. That's different.

Ya I remember this topic a while back...no one on the thread had anything positive to say about Z max...lol. On you second ??, I have been running Castrol Syntec 5W50 and FR oil filters. I run those filters because I have heard of some cheaper brands collapsing

Archived